What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Monkees: Best Song (1 Viewer)

Monkees

• You Just May Be The One

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What Am I Doing Hangin' Around

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Gonna Buy Me A Dog

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Monkees Theme

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • My Choice Is In Poll #1

Votes: 74 88.1%

• Total voters
i celebrate their entire catalogue-  

chose PVS, but there are some gems out there--  Door Into Summer;  Love is Only Sleeping;  I'll Be Back Up On My Feet..   

A lot of people dismiss the Monkees as just a cheap Beatles knockoff.  “Pre-Fab Four” and all that.  Well the Beatles certainly didn’t feel that way.  Micky hung out with Lennon and Ringo.  Peter played on one of Harrison’s albums.  Also, from wiki:

Nesmith attended the Beatles' recording session for "A Day in the Life" at Abbey Road Studios; he can be seen in the Beatles' home movies, including one scene where he is talking with John Lennon. During the conversation, Nesmith had reportedly asked Lennon "Do you think we're a cheap imitation of the Beatles, your movies and your records?" to which Lennon assuredly replied, "I think you're the greatest comic talent since the Marx Brothers. I've never missed one of your programs."

Great picks in the poll - got most of their sleeper hits. 

Toss up between girl I knew somewhere or look out here comes tomorrow. Went with Here Comes. 

She and Valleri are also bangers 

Davy's vocals on Daydream Believer make it my favorite but I like so many of their songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have a lot of great songs but I'm not Your Steppin' Stone is my favorite. Its a little different for them (as far as I know). And I love the singer's anger. Fantastic song.
Love the Minor Threat cover of this 

:lol:  

I was out putting together an "easy to assemble!" deck box (don't get me started on THAT ####), so was too late to post "IN before zamboni picks 'The Porpoise Song'". I couldn't tell someone either of my ex-wives favorite colors, but I know FFAers favorite songs. Such is the life I've made for myself......
I think we've been at this way too long.  :lol: :oldunsure:

A lot of people dismiss the Monkees as just a cheap Beatles knockoff.  “Pre-Fab Four” and all that.  Well the Beatles certainly didn’t feel that way.  Micky hung out with Lennon and Ringo.  Peter played on one of Harrison’s albums.  Also, from wiki:

Nesmith attended the Beatles' recording session for "A Day in the Life" at Abbey Road Studios; he can be seen in the Beatles' home movies, including one scene where he is talking with John Lennon. During the conversation, Nesmith had reportedly asked Lennon "Do you think we're a cheap imitation of the Beatles, your movies and your records?" to which Lennon assuredly replied, "I think you're the greatest comic talent since the Marx Brothers. I've never missed one of your programs."
Preach, brother.

The critics can kiss my ### - these are fantastic songs. They certainly hold up better than many of their contemporaries.

Better not ask too closely who played what on hippie-rock-critic darlings The Byrds first few albums, or Jann Wenner's head might explode from the hypocrisy.

Voted for the theme song, actually. And that's not to disparage the Monkees. It's just sort of an iconic theme song if you're a certain age or just an observer of pop culture through the ages. 

Reading this thread is making me want to dig up some old Don Kirshner's Rock Concert shows on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted for the theme song, actually. And that's not to disparage the Monkees. It's just sort of an iconic theme song if you're a certain age or just an observer of pop culture through the ages. 
Those drums and then 'Here we come'. Iconic start to a tune. 

Endless generation always make me think of the show as well. 

Loved the show.

My vote is for: Cuddly Toy, purely personal reasons. When we were kids, we all watched the show in re-runs after school. Me and my sisters caught my brother playing the 45 of this and doing the little Davey Jones dance. We mocked him mercilessly. We still do the dance and song when we get together.

Where's the "who?" option for those of us not born before 1980? 

(J/K I had parents who listened to them. Went with Last Train to Clarksville)

Cheated and voted twice, for Pleasant Valley Sunday and What Am I Doing Hangin' Around but I could be talked into lots others.  The Arista "Then and Now" tape was one of the first cassette tapes that I owned back in the 80s.  Wore it out in my knock off walkman.

Brony said:
Those drums and then 'Here we come'. Iconic start to a tune. 

Endless generation always make me think of the show as well. 
Uruk mentioned the Byrds upthread. That intro to the song and then the chords following sound a lot like the Byrds and The Who, actually, now that I hear again and have that backdrop. 

I love that sound. 

I shared a room with my sister when I was 5 or 6 (she was 11/12) in 1969/70.  I heard the Monkees (along with Bobby Sherman and Elton John) every morning... every.morning.

Poll said best song, not favorite song.  I voted Daydream Believer but my favorite song was What Am I Doing Hangin' Around. Loved that one.

As an aging adult I find myself asking the same question.  I should be on that train and gone... as fate would have it, I actually used to live in San Antone.  

Users who are viewing this thread