What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortenson Notes from Sportscenter (1 Viewer)

Woodrow, Sirius NFL radio this morning said that they can easily see Jones going at #31 to the Eagles.  Pure speculation, I would imagine, but apparently one of the guys had heard rumor that there was some interest there.  Take this all with a large grain of salt, of course, but you never know....
:rotflmao: If the Eagles win this wager for me, Wood should have to pay double.
You're on.

:bag:

Mort is hosting a chat right now and had this to say about Jones and the Eagles:

Adam (Philly): I am as intrigued with Matt Jones as you are. I just can't wait to use this kid in Madden 2006. I've heard that he could possibly go in the 1st round in the draft. I just want to know if you have heard anything about maybe the Eagles working him out or talking about taking him with either their late 1st or early second round pick. I feel he would be a great addition as slot guy or even an outside threat.

Chris Mortensen: (3:15 PM ET ) I think he would be a great fit anywhere, but Philly comes to my mind as well as a team he would really fit in well. I was speaking with a team off. coordinator today and he said when he looked at Jones, at first he thought it could be TO all over again. Then he realized he was a combo of TO and Randy Moss, with more size than either guy. That's a mouthful! It will be very interesting to see who has the courage to figure this out. I guarantee, he wil be one of the 5-10 most successful guys from this Draft.
Maybe I'm selling this dude short... :confused:

:bag:

Mort is hosting a chat right now and had this to say about Jones and the Eagles:

Adam (Philly): I am as intrigued with Matt Jones as you are. I just can't wait to use this kid in Madden 2006. I've heard that he could possibly go in the 1st round in the draft. I just want to know if you have heard anything about maybe the Eagles working him out or talking about taking him with either their late 1st or early second round pick. I feel he would be a great addition as slot guy or even an outside threat.

Chris Mortensen: (3:15 PM ET ) I think he would be a great fit anywhere, but Philly comes to my mind as well as a team he would really fit in well. I was speaking with a team off. coordinator today and he said when he looked at Jones, at first he thought it could be TO all over again. Then he realized he was a combo of TO and Randy Moss, with more size than either guy. That's a mouthful! It will be very interesting to see who has the courage to figure this out. I guarantee, he wil be one of the 5-10 most successful guys from this Draft.
Maybe I'm selling this dude short... :confused:
Or maybe the hype is turning into a SIRI like movement. Those are some mighty big comments.I like Jones, but not a chance in hell I'd compare him to Moss or TO. :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommygunz will be happy to read this (also from Mort's chat):

Drew (Wilmington, Delaware): Where do you think Matt Jones will end up in the draft? I say he's a early to mid second rounder. I'd love to have the kid play in Dallas.

Chris Mortensen: (3:22 PM ET ) If you put a gun to my head I would say early second round. There are some teams that are thinking about him at the bottom part of first round. But most of these guys are a little scared because he is swithching positions. I think he's going in the first 10 picks of the second round.

Alright, Mort is DEFINITELY off his rocker now.

Keith (Winona, MN): I love this kid Jones, 6'6" & fast...beautiful! But in all honesty, how much work does he need to become an effective WR? And what round do you think someone actually decides to take a chance on him?

Chris Mortensen: (3:25 PM ET ) He is such a natural athlete and I have watched him workout as a receiver, it will take him 3-4 months really working at the position. At the very least, in his rookie season he can catch 10-12 TDs just playing red zone football. If he can leap forward after that, you are looking at a Pro Bowl caliber guy.
Mort does realize that double digit TDs for ANYONE is a rarity, right? Much less a rookie learning a new position. :crazy:

Sounds like he would be ideal fit for the Vikings in the 2nd round...if he makes it that far. If the Vikings don't get a WR in the first, it would make perfect sense.

Salsbury and Clayton both agreed that he's the best athlete in the draft
That's a tough sell but not too far from the truth. I do feel Jones, given his overall athletic ability; knowledge for the game stemming from his experience as a QB; and measurable combine numbers make him one of the best, pure football players available in the draft. Perhaps he does not fit nicely into the discussion as a FF player but, as an actual NFL player, the discussion is simple. Jones has exceptional talent and will be drafted first day. Check out Matt Jones versus Texas circa '03 and '04, if you have access to old games. Matt Jones v. Ole Miss '04 is not bad either. The guy can play the game. Comparing Jones to track stars posing as football players is way off. Wood, you are usually right more often than not, but Jones is not that guy. The fact he knows as much as he does about running an offense and routes, given his QB experience, the switch to either WR or TE will not be as difficult. Sure, he'll need help with is his technique but so does every other college WR coming into the league. Jones' overall athletic ability and prior experience will help offset the fact he has not played the position to a certain degree. Now, does he go where Mort is suggesting? Probably not but round 3 seems about right. Intelligent player. Great physical attributes. Willingness to learn, adapt and change. Extremely high ceiling. Fiercely competitive. No known personal or off field problems. Coachable. It is going to take an extremely progressive and aggressive coach and offensive coordinator to select him in rounds 1 or 2 but, all things considered, he offers too much talent to fall behind round 3.

Woodrow, Sirius NFL radio this morning said that they can easily see Jones going at #31 to the Eagles. Pure speculation, I would imagine, but apparently one of the guys had heard rumor that there was some interest there. Take this all with a large grain of salt, of course, but you never know....
EG,i can see the Steelers grabbin' him at 30! :D

IMO, since the Eagles have the picks, they have a pick to burn/take a shot at Jones, although at this rate I'll be shocked if Jones last to the Eagles at 31. It would be an awesome pick, to throw Jones in the mix at WR.

tom donahoe of the buffalo bills was on sirus radio yesterday and had high praise for Matt Jones.. He said that he carries a first round grade and that the bills and their scouts loved him as a prospect.i am sure every team would say something similar.

Not only is this guy a first-rounder, I could see him flying into the top-20ish range.Either way, Wood is going to owe Gunz some cash. No way this guy makes it through 40 picks.

Not only is this guy a first-rounder, I could see him flying into the top-20ish range.

Either way, Wood is going to owe Gunz some cash. No way this guy makes it through 40 picks.
I wouldn't be upset if the Cowboys pulled the trigger at pick #20 depending on who else was on the board. It would be tough to take him over Clayton though. I really think that his lack of position is overstated given that he has played WR a small bit at Arkansas.

Not only is this guy a first-rounder, I could see him flying into the top-20ish range.

Either way, Wood is going to owe Gunz some cash. No way this guy makes it through 40 picks.
I wouldn't be upset if the Cowboys pulled the trigger at pick #20 depending on who else was on the board. It would be tough to take him over Clayton though. I really think that his lack of position is overstated given that he has played WR a small bit at Arkansas.
Yep, we've now exceeded the sanity standard, even considering him over Clayton is crazy talk.

Yep, we've now exceeded the sanity standard, even considering him over Clayton is crazy talk.
I am not saying that I would be happy if they did, but if we are talking about him moving up into the top 20 range of the draft it is reasonable that Clayton could slide. I think it would be a mistake to take Jones over Clayton, but do feel that the upside of Jones is much greater. It is a risk/reward situation.

I am not saying that I would be happy if they did, but if we are talking about him moving up into the top 20 range of the draft it is reasonable that Clayton could slide. I think it would be a mistake to take Jones over Clayton, but do feel that the upside of Jones is much greater. It is a risk/reward situation.
If you're a team with a few years to spend developing a guy, I can see taking Jones. Dallas is not in that position. Parcells needs to win now, Clayton gives him the better chance this year and next. Miami, Jacksonville, Denver, New England, Philly, and a few others can wait on him either due to their plan or because they have the players to allow them the patience needed.

I view Jones as a much bigger Randle El. He wasn't ready to play WR in the NFL either, he has developed behind Plaxico and now is ready to play. Jones needs that kind of timeframe, while getting involved in the same way.

I love the idea of him in Philly, even if he's the #2 WR, they won't need to rely on him and he'll learn from TO's work ethic - but hopefully not the mouth.

I'm simply stunned at the Kool Aid drinking. Honestly, we spend a good chunk of time chastising NFL scouts for looking too hard at measurables and not at what a player can do on the field. While I realize Jones has inhuman measurables, he's still AS RAW A RECEIVER AS THERE IS IN THE DRAFT. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:

If you're a team with a few years to spend developing a guy, I can see taking Jones. Dallas is not in that position. Parcells needs to win now, Clayton gives him the better chance this year and next. Miami, Jacksonville, Denver, New England, Philly, and a few others can wait on him either due to their plan or because they have the players to allow them the patience needed.

I view Jones as a much bigger Randle El. He wasn't ready to play WR in the NFL either, he has developed behind Plaxico and now is ready to play. Jones needs that kind of timeframe, while getting involved in the same way.

I love the idea of him in Philly, even if he's the #2 WR, they won't need to rely on him and he'll learn from TO's work ethic - but hopefully not the mouth.
I think Dallas is kidding themselves if they think that they can win now. I am sorry, I am huge Dallas fan and they should be looking at 8-8 next year. It is possible for them to go 9-7 and win the NFC East but they are far from being contenders for the Super Bowl.

From Kiper's chat:

Jack Richmond Va: Mel, Mort has jumped on the Matt Jones band wagon have you? also with all the hype surronding him do you still see him going in the third round. Lastly do you see Dallas taking a chance on him at 42 considering the Arkansas connection with JJ?

Mel Kiper: (2:06 PM ET ) The fact of the matter is, Matt will be one of the most discussed players in this draft b/c he changed position. He's got rare skills, but no experience. All of a sudden, you're goingto make him a WR, and you just don't know if he is a natural pass catcher or a route runner. Mort knows that Arkansas program better than anybody, but I wouldn't consider Matt Jones before the third or fourth round, but I bet he'll be a late first/early second round pick.

Just throwing this against the wall to see if it will stick:Pats need a WR. They also have a late first rounder. And they love guys that can play multiple positions. Just a thought.. :popcorn:

Just throwing this against the wall to see if it will stick:

Pats need a WR. They also have a late first rounder. And they love guys that can play multiple positions.

Just a thought..

:popcorn:
Actually I think if Jones is going to go that high, it's more likely in the late 1st than early 2nd. No matter what teams think of him, certainly his inexperience is going to require some seasoning before he's productive enough to warrant such a high pick. That means teams that are already stacked (i.e., Eagles, Patriots) and can (and do) draft for "Best Player Available" are more likely to seriously consider this kid and his enormous upside than a team that picks early in the 2nd and actually has a ton of immediate needs.

what incentive to the browns have to NOT use droughns regularly?
What incentive do the packers have to NOT use davenport regularly?What incentive do the Saints have to NOT use stecker regularly

What incentive do the pats have to NOT use faulk regularly?

What incentive do the lions have to NOT use pinner regularly?

Answer: they are backups. They aren't used regularly because they're not as good as the starter.
I'm simply stunned at the Kool Aid drinking. Honestly, we spend a good chunk of time chastising NFL scouts for looking too hard at measurables and not at what a player can do on the field. While I realize Jones has inhuman measurables, he's still AS RAW A RECEIVER AS THERE IS IN THE DRAFT. :wall:
:confused:

Pats need a WR. They also have a late first rounder. And they love guys that can play multiple positions.

Just a thought..

Actually I think if Jones is going to go that high, it's more likely in the late 1st than early 2nd. No matter what teams think of him, certainly his inexperience is going to require some seasoning before he's productive enough to warrant such a high pick. That means teams that are already stacked (i.e., Eagles, Patriots) and can (and do) draft for "Best Player Available" are more likely to seriously consider this kid and his enormous upside than a team that picks early in the 2nd and actually has a ton of immediate needs.
Agreed.I'm higher on Jones than Woodrow is, but not as much as Mort. The guy has eye-popping numbers both in size and speed, but Woodrow is right, he is as raw as they come. However, seeing as he was a QB, I think the jump to WR can be made more easily than one might think. Being a Steeler fan, I have seen Hines Ward, who was only a part-time WR, and Randle-El, who never played a snap at receiver, step in and learn the position very quickly. I believe being a QB gives you a knowledge of the passing game needed to become a good route-runner. QBs understand how defenders react to certain situations. Really, what they need to learn is how to use their bodies at the position and how to react to the ball once it's in the air.

I think Troy Brown's ability to go from WR to CB with success is further evidence of this. Those two positions are related, and Brown was able to use his experience at WR to learn the CB spot in a hurry. If I were a team interested in Jones, I'd want to see how he does at making tough catches, balls thrown behind him, etc.. and see if I could gauge how effective he'd be at picking up YAC. A strong cognitive ability would be a huge plus as well. I don't think Jones gets past the middle of round 2.

Jones will go too early for his draft value and skill right now but I also think it will pay off. A lot of WR's in this draft seem pretty raw why not take the one with rediculous skills. BTW, did people consider Randel El a reach? Out of curiosity... I know they are different situations.

BTW, did people consider Randel El a reach? Out of curiosity... I know they are different situations.
As a Steeler fan, I certainly did. If you recall they took ARE over Antonio Bryant. Bryant was a great college reciever and set every Pitt record at the time. Bryant was looked at as a late first round pick. His off-the-field issues caused him to slip. I was very unhappy when they made this selection. As it turns out, they made the right one, but it's only because Bryant never grew up. Sorry, I don't want to take this discussion in the wrong direction. I bring this up to point out if ARE was thought of as worthy of a mid-late 2nd then this should be the Jones' floor. His ceiling is obviously up for debate, but Jones has better measurables than ARE.

Just a thought..

Agreed.I'm higher on Jones than Woodrow is, but not as much as Mort. The guy has eye-popping numbers both in size and speed, but Woodrow is right, he is as raw as they come. However, seeing as he was a QB, I think the jump to WR can be made more easily than one might think. Being a Steeler fan, I have seen Hines Ward, who was only a part-time WR, and Randle-El, who never played a snap at receiver, step in and learn the position very quickly. I believe being a QB gives you a knowledge of the passing game needed to become a good route-runner. QBs understand how defenders react to certain situations. Really, what they need to learn is how to use their bodies at the position and how to react to the ball once it's in the air.

I think Troy Brown's ability to go from WR to CB with success is further evidence of this. Those two positions are related, and Brown was able to use his experience at WR to learn the CB spot in a hurry. If I were a team interested in Jones, I'd want to see how he does at making tough catches, balls thrown behind him, etc.. and see if I could gauge how effective he'd be at picking up YAC. A strong cognitive ability would be a huge plus as well. I don't think Jones gets past the middle of round 2.
The Steelers seem to be an ideal fit for Matt Jones considering they lost a tall WR and have experience converting QB's to WR's. The problem facing them is do they want to use a 1st round pick on him knowing he likely won't be their in the 2nd?

BTW, did people consider Randel El a reach? Out of curiosity... I know they are different situations.
As a Steeler fan, I certainly did. If you recall they took ARE over Antonio Bryant. Bryant was a great college reciever and set every Pitt record at the time. Bryant was looked at as a late first round pick. His off-the-field issues caused him to slip. I was very unhappy when they made this selection. As it turns out, they made the right one, but it's only because Bryant never grew up.
ARE has 127 career catches for 1400 yards and 6 TDsBryant has 141 catches for 2095 and 12 TDs

I fail to see how EITHER player can be declared the better player at this point. However, on field production suggests that its Bryant.

Colin

As a Steeler fan, I certainly did. If you recall they took ARE over Antonio Bryant. Bryant was a great college reciever and set every Pitt record at the time. Bryant was looked at as a late first round pick. His off-the-field issues caused him to slip. I was very unhappy when they made this selection. As it turns out, they made the right one, but it's only because Bryant never grew up.
ARE has 127 career catches for 1400 yards and 6 TDsBryant has 141 catches for 2095 and 12 TDs

I fail to see how EITHER player can be declared the better player at this point. However, on field production suggests that its Bryant.

Colin
But look at what Bryant's competition for balls was compared to Randle El's.I actually like both of these guys and believe they're pretty evenly matched. Bryant may be a better pure WR(debatable), but Randle El is solid on special teams.

Both ballers IMHO.

Colin,You are right. I wasn't clear enough, the fact that Bryant has already forced himself off of one team is why I said the Steelers made the correct choice. In terms of talent, Bryant wins in a landslide. Bryant was the best college reciever I ever saw in person until Fitz came along. If he ever gets his head on straight I think he could be an extremely productive WR in the NFL.

Colin,

You are right. I wasn't clear enough, the fact that Bryant has already forced himself off of one team is why I said the Steelers made the correct choice.

In terms of talent, Bryant wins in a landslide. Bryant was the best college reciever I ever saw in person until Fitz came along. If he ever gets his head on straight I think he could be an extremely productive WR in the NFL.
:rotflmao: not to make light of your post, but maybe this is because you have seen a limited amount of games etc..... In saying that, it must be nice to have the chance to go and watch some good college ball, you are very fortunate.

Colin
But look at what Bryant's competition for balls was compared to Randle El's.I actually like both of these guys and believe they're pretty evenly matched. Bryant may be a better pure WR(debatable), but Randle El is solid on special teams.

Both ballers IMHO.
I agree that both are good players. Simply saying there wasn't much, if any difference that favored ARE as the poster implied.Colin

Colin

Both ballers IMHO.
I agree that both are good players. Simply saying there wasn't much, if any difference that favored ARE as the poster implied.Colin
ARE adds more to the team IMO. Cowher has used him occasionally as the QB, he's a very good special teams player, and he's been a highly productive WR#3, that to me is the difference - Bryant has been on two teams now, where he was supposed to be the go-to guy (or at least #2)

Colin,

You are right. I wasn't clear enough, the fact that Bryant has already forced himself off of one team is why I said the Steelers made the correct choice.

In terms of talent, Bryant wins in a landslide. Bryant was the best college reciever I ever saw in person until Fitz came along. If he ever gets his head on straight I think he could be an extremely productive WR in the NFL.
:rotflmao: not to make light of your post, but maybe this is because you have seen a limited amount of games etc..... In saying that, it must be nice to have the chance to go and watch some good college ball, you are very fortunate.
Pretty much my thoughts here, Bryant was a good college WR, but to say he's the best you ever saw in person? WOW. Try going to some real college games ;)

Colin,

Pretty much my thoughts here, Bryant was a good college WR, but to say he's the best you ever saw in person? WOW. Try going to some real college games ;)
And by the way, didn't Andre Johnson play @ Pitt at least once??

Colin,

You are right.  I wasn't clear enough, the fact that Bryant has already forced himself off of one team is why I said the Steelers made the correct choice. 

In terms of talent, Bryant wins in a landslide.  Bryant was the best college reciever I ever saw in person until Fitz came along.  If he ever gets his head on straight I think he could be an extremely productive WR in the NFL.
Antonio Bryant was a much more productive COLLEGE WR than Andre Johnson. I think that at the time he was in college there were probably quite a few people thinking he was one of the all-time greatest college WRs. Andre Johnson in college was extremely unpolished had major questions about his route running ability it was at the scouting combine that he vaulted himself high into the 1st round. If you think Andre Johnson was a better college WR I really question the amount of college football you were watching at the time.

Colin,

You are right.  I wasn't clear enough, the fact that Bryant has already forced himself off of one team is why I said the Steelers made the correct choice. 

In terms of talent, Bryant wins in a landslide.  Bryant was the best college reciever I ever saw in person until Fitz came along.  If he ever gets his head on straight I think he could be an extremely productive WR in the NFL.
Antonio Bryant was a much more productive COLLEGE WR than Andre Johnson. I think that at the time he was in college there were probably quite a few people thinking he was one of the all-time greatest college WRs. Andre Johnson in college was extremely unpolished had major questions about his route running ability it was at the scouting combine that he vaulted himself high into the 1st round. If you think Andre Johnson was a better college WR I really question the amount of college football you were watching at the time.
It depends on what you consider "better". Bryant was certainly more productive, but even in college you could see flashes of greatness from Johnson.

Colin,

It depends on what you consider "better". Bryant was certainly more productive, but even in college you could see flashes of greatness from Johnson.
I am sorry but there is IMHO absolutely no way that anyone could have considered Johnson a better college WR than Bryant. I don't care what flashes you saw over the span of each of their careers in college Bryant was leaps and bounds better than Johnson.

Colin,

I am sorry but there is IMHO absolutely no way that anyone could have considered Johnson a better college WR than Bryant. I don't care what flashes you saw over the span of each of their careers in college Bryant was leaps and bounds better than Johnson.
I'll admit Antonio Bryant looked good in this game

Wow!!! Why don't you guys take one little comment and run with it. :thumbdown: Attempting to stear this back on point, if ARE was the 30th pick in the second round why should anyone think Matt Jones won't be selected higher? And possibly by a good margin.

Wow!!! Why don't you guys take one little comment and run with it. :thumbdown:

Attempting to stear this back on point, if ARE was the 30th pick in the second round why should anyone think Matt Jones won't be selected higher? And possibly by a good margin.
Because Randel El actually played WR a considerable amount in college. :confused:

Attempting to stear this back on point, if ARE was the 30th pick in the second round why should anyone think Matt Jones won't be selected higher?  And possibly by a good margin.
Because Randel El actually played WR a considerable amount in college. :confused:
If I recall correctly he was going to play WR his senior year, but was moved back to QB very early on that season. These are the only receiving stats I found on him...7 catches for 90 yards and a TD.Looking back over his stats, they are impressive..

In 44 games, he passed for 7489 yards and 42 touchdowns on 528 of 1060 attempts (49.8%) and rushed for 3895 yards and 44 scores on 857 carries (4.5 avg)… He is the only player in NCAA Division I-A history to reach 6000 yards passing and 3000 yards rushing and also the only player to pass for 40 touchdowns and score 40 touchdowns… Also caught seven passes for 90 yards (12.9 avg) and a touchdown, punted 17 times for 569 yards (33.5 avg) and returned 16 punts for 149 yards (9.3 avg)…Gained 11,384 yards with 86 touchdowns on 1917 plays, averaging 258.73 yards per game in total offense.

Attempting to stear this back on point, if ARE was the 30th pick in the second round why should anyone think Matt Jones won't be selected higher?  And possibly by a good margin.
I don't think he did - all 44 career starts were at QB. The only time he would have ever played WR was on gimmick plays. I believe C&C is right - he only caught 7 passes in 4 years of college. I don't think he was any more polished at the position than Jones is. Mind you, I'm not saying that because of this that Jones is worthy of a 1st/2nd round pick - rather that I don't think he'll fall any farther than El did.

I don't think he did - all 44 career starts were at QB. The only time he would have ever played WR was on gimmick plays. I believe C&C is right - he only caught 7 passes in 4 years of college. I don't think he was any more polished at the position than Jones is. Mind you, I'm not saying that because of this that Jones is worthy of a 1st/2nd round pick - rather that I don't think he'll fall any farther than El did.
Interesting. I remember (as others have mentioned) of Randel El's intention to play WR, but I guess that move was abolished during spring practice (I though he played the bulk of his junior year at WR and moved back to QB his senior year).Fair enough, and kudos to those bringing out the point.

As a counter, however, I would contend that while Randel El has done a nice job as the Steelers slot receiver, he's hardly been the kind of difference maker that should make people think QBs-turned-WRs are worth a high 2nd/early 1st.

Interesting. I remember (as others have mentioned) of Randel El's intention to play WR, but I guess that move was abolished during spring practice (I though he played the bulk of his junior year at WR and moved back to QB his senior year).Fair enough, and kudos to those bringing out the point.

As a counter, however, I would contend that while Randel El has done a nice job as the Steelers slot receiver, he's hardly been the kind of difference maker that should make people think QBs-turned-WRs are worth a high 2nd/early 1st.
Agreed - but to be fair, we shouldn't pass judgment until after this year. He has not had very many targets behind Ward and Burress - this may be the year he makes that impact - we'll see....Also, he's 5' 9" and quick more than fast, which suits him better to the slot role. Jones is 6' 6" and has breakway straight-line speed, which is going to suit him to be the deep threat many teams crave... I think that will push his draft status up higher than El, who was coveted more because he was a tremdous athlete and playmaker rather than having the upside of becoming a dominant #1 WR.

Wow. this turned into one big Steeler jircle cerk. :sleep:

Can we get back to Jones?
We're talking about Jones' draft stock as related to Antwaan Randle-El, since he was the most notable QB-turned-receiver to be drafted highly in recent memory. Stick with the conversation....

Users who are viewing this thread