What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moss' Agent says he is going to the Raiders (1 Viewer)

VerticalVike

Footballguy
www.pioneerpress.com

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...ll/10972946.htm

Posted on Wed, Feb. 23, 2005

Agent: Vikings trade Moss to Raiders

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

Randy Moss' days with the Vikings are numbered.

Although NFL trades cannot become official until next month, the Vikings have agreed to trade Moss to the Oakland Raiders for the seventh overall pick in the upcoming draft and a defensive starter, believed to be linebacker Napoleon Harris.

"Nothing is official until March 2," agent Dante DiTrapano told the Pioneer Press Wednesday. "But don't be surprised if Randy Moss is wearing the Silver and Black this upcoming season."

Despite repeated denials, the Vikings have been shopping Moss for months, and they found a willing suitor in Al Davis, a maverick owner who embraces controversial players.

"In speaking with Moss, although he has a lot of ties to Minnesota and did not particularly want to be traded, he’s very excited with the possibility of playing for Al Davis and being a part of the Raider tradition," DiTrapano said. "The Raiders have vowed to use Randy’s talents the way they should be used, and that’s to throw the ball vertically down the field.

"Randy's desire to win a Super Bowl is enhanced with a move to a team like the Raiders, because the Minnesota Vikings seem to be in a constant rebuilding mode."

The Vikings will wind up with the seventh overall pick for the third time in the last four years. In 2002, they drafted left tackle Bryant McKinnie, a starter. Two years ago, they had the seventh pick but a botched trade with Baltimore resulted in them picking two spots later. Still, they landed the player they coveted, defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who has emerged into a Pro Bowl player.

The Vikings have the 18th pick in this year’s draft.

With the departure of Moss, the Vikings' top receiver is third-year receiver Nate Burleson. But the Vikings are expected to bolster that group via the draft or free agency. With a weak free agent class headlined by Pittsburgh's Plaxico Burress, the Vikings’ options could increase with potential salary cap casualties such as Isaac Bruce, Muhsin Muhammad and Derrick Mason.

The NFL Draft in April also offers two promising players, Michigan's Braylon Edwards and Southern Cal's Mike Williams.

Harris was selected by the Raiders with the 23rd pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, and he has recorded 249 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, and five passes defended over the past three seasons. He is 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, and he can play inside and outside.

The Raiders will assume Moss' $7.25 million base salary for next season while the Vikings realize a cap savings of nearly $2 million. Four seasons remain on Moss’ eight-year $75 million contract.

Sean Jensen covers the Vikings and the NFL. He can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

© 2005 TwinCities.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.twincities.com

edit to add full story

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, Kerry Collins should be a decent play next year.Seems like a fair deal for both teams. Minnesota upgrades their defense and gets a very valuable high 1st rounder and the Raiders get the best WR in football.Win Win situation.

Don't know if it will happen or not, but man the Vikes would be getting ripped off!Harris and the #7? I mean seriously.... Harris?

This was just posted w/i the past ten minutes on the Pioneer website. It is the Top Story on a major newssite in the Twin Cities.

I cannot believe that is all they are getting as well. But the reports the past couple of days have been referring to the fact that the players have basically stated that maybe it is time for him to move on, especially Pepper.

He's not going anywhere. That deal fell apart, that's why they re-signed Porter.
Thats what I was thinking. Why in the world would Oak invest that much more into their WRs.

Don't know if it will happen or not, but man the Vikes would be getting ripped off!

Harris and the #7? I mean seriously.... Harris?
Harris has an immense amount of talent and a top RB or WR can be attained at the number 7 pick. Seems like a DB would make more sense though.

Wow. PFT reported (if that's what they do) that the Raiders had a deal in place, then it was off the table when Porter re-signed. But late last night, they wrote the Raiders could still complete the trade even though they signed Porter.If this is true, PFT really nailed this one.

Awful deal. Vikes lose the most dynamic offensive player in the NFL and for what? An unknown commodity in the form of a draft pick and a decent linebacker.

What's the starting WR setup going to be for the Vikes now? Burleson and Robinson? I don't like where this offseason is headed now that the Vikes have lost their Offensive Coordinator, their backup QB (probably), confusion reigns for the RBs, and we have no clue who's going to even own the team.

:hot:

...and the Raiders defense goes from bad to worst. Moss is going to have to average 10-150-3 every week just to keep the Raiders in the game. The Raiders better not do this. I like Porter and Curry and even Gabriel...add in Teyo and Anderson...and get a RB like Jordan and that offense is set. Keep Harris, use the pick on defense and try to stop teams from scoring 30+ per week on you.

Marcus Robinson = Culpepper's #1 deep threat = fantasy stud 2005.(I just thought I'd jump in with something off the wall here :) )

Don't know if it will happen or not, but man the Vikes would be getting ripped off!

Harris and the #7?  I mean seriously.... Harris?
Harris has an immense amount of talent and a top RB or WR can be attained at the number 7 pick. Seems like a DB would make more sense though.
I wouold imagin that Minn goes CB with one of those 2 picks if it goes through. At 7, they could land either Pacman or Rolle. That would be a nice upgrade right there.I like Harris as a talent, but thought Minn was happy with Henderson in the middle. Though they could move Harris outside I guess. Eitehr way, I don't think his talent justifies this trade.

...and the Raiders defense goes from bad to worst. Moss is going to have to average 10-150-3 every week just to keep the Raiders in the game.

The Raiders better not do this. I like Porter and Curry and even Gabriel...add in Teyo and Anderson...and get a RB like Jordan and that offense is set. Keep Harris, use the pick on defense and try to stop teams from scoring 30+ per week on you.
:thumbdown: You don't pass on Randy Moss, especially at this price tag.

Marcus Robinson = Culpepper's #1 deep threat = fantasy stud 2005.

(I just thought I'd jump in with something off the wall here :) )
If you throw enough #### at the wall some is bound to stick.

I don't like where this offseason is headed now that the Vikes have lost their Offensive Coordinator, their backup QB (probably), confusion reigns for the RBs, and we have no clue who's going to even own the team.

:hot:
Look on the bright side. Their defense sucks too. :rotflmao:

How about this for a cheap replacement for Moss - Plaxico Burress. :unsure:Edited to add:Hadn't read the article till I posted... guess it's not so crazy...

With the departure of Moss, the Vikings' top receiver is third-year receiver Nate Burleson. But the Vikings are expected to bolster that group via the draft or free agency. With a weak free agent class headlined by Pittsburgh's Plaxico Burress, the Vikings’ options could increase with potential salary cap casualties such as Isaac Bruce, Muhsin Muhammad and Derrick Mason.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and the Raiders defense goes from bad to worst. Moss is going to have to average 10-150-3 every week just to keep the Raiders in the game.

The Raiders better not do this. I like Porter and Curry and even Gabriel...add in Teyo and Anderson...and get a RB like Jordan and that offense is set. Keep Harris, use the pick on defense and try to stop teams from scoring 30+ per week on you.
:thumbdown: You don't pass on Randy Moss, especially at this price tag.
Hell no you don't, that is CHEAP for Randy Moss. Any thoughts in if they woudl deal Proter after his new signing? Or maybe 1 of the other guys? I find it very hard to believe that they will want to go into the season with that much invested in only one postion, I don't care who is running things. Maybe they plan on bringing back the Run n' Shoot. :excited:

Maybe they turn around and deal Porter to Baltimore or NYJ. It would make some sense.

How about this for a cheap replacement for Moss - Plaxico Burress.

:unsure:

Edited to add:

Hadn't read the article till I posted... guess it's not so crazy...

I don't think Burress will be cheap wherever he ends up.I still don't know what the fascination is with moving Moss for the Vikes. What has he done other than prove to be the best WR in the game...basically from the moment he was a rookie and on?

Folks can point out his personal...ah, idiosynchrasies...but he's never been busted for drugs, hitting his womens, drunk driving, or rape. Note that all of those things are old hat for the Vikes and most of the NFL.

Can't wait to see the over/under on the OAK vs KC games next year. Last year they combined for 61 in each of their games.

If and when Braylon Edwards or Mike WIlliams is selected with the #7 pick, I can only imagine the discussion we will have....should be good times.Colin

Odd...just two days ago Mortensen was on ESPN discussing this "deal" and how it fell apart, which is why the Raiders moved quickly to re-sign Porter. Imagine for a second if the Raiders have Porter and Moss? WOW. Even I would have to acknowledge Collins' fantasy upside. :D

I still don't know what the fascination is with moving Moss for the Vikes. What has he done other than prove to be the best WR in the game...basically from the moment he was a rookie and on?
He walked away from a game before it was over and was unapologetic about it. He has, over time, lost CPep and a lot of other teammates who see him as immature, selfish, and a distraction. That's pretty much it, and why he's being shipped off for less than value.

Just to play along...the end result would be that the Vikes trade the best receiver in hopes of drafting a receiver that is as good as Moss.My head hurts.

Yeah, I don't get this one... There's no way the Vikings are a top ten offense without Moss. And Napoleon Harris damn sure doesn't make their defense even top 15. This trade is ######ed from a Vikings fan point of view. Thirty-six million under the cap and guys like Kendrell Bell and Antonio Pierce available and yet they trade their best player for a decent linebacker. Man, I hate being a Vikings fan.

Just to play along...the end result would be that the Vikes trade the best receiver in hopes of drafting a receiver that is as good as Moss.

My head hurts.
:no: The Vikes hope the end result equals:

Younger, Pro Bowl caliber WR (the 7th pick)

Young, playmaking linebacker (Napolean Harris)
Free agent improvements on defense (the $$$ saved by ridding themselves of Moss' contract)
A more cohesive, focused and well balanced locker room

Just to play along...the end result would be that the Vikes trade the best receiver in hopes of drafting a receiver that is as good as Moss.

My head hurts.
:no: The Vikes hope the end result equals:

Younger, Pro Bowl caliber WR (the 7th pick)

Young, playmaking linebacker (Napolean Harris)

Free agent improvements on defense (the $$$ saved by ridding themselves of Moss' contract)
A more cohesive, focused and well balanced locker room
Like encaitar says, Harris offers little to the Vikes. They already have a MLB they seem pleased with (though I would guess they move Harris outside) and better ones are available in FA. They have the money to spend it in FA.If I were the Vikes I would be looking long and hard at the FA LBs and Smoot. Sign on or the other and draft accordingly after that.

Yeah, I don't get this one...  There's no way the Vikings are a top ten offense without Moss.  And Napoleon Harris damn sure doesn't make their defense even top 15.  This trade is ######ed from a Vikings fan point of view.  Thirty-six million under the cap and guys like Kendrell Bell and Antonio Pierce available and yet they trade their best player for a decent linebacker.  Man, I hate being a Vikings fan.
Pepper threw for 3950 yards and 24 TDs this year that werent to Randy Moss. If they bring in a Burress/Muhammad/Mason, Pepper, and the Vikings offense(which returns Mike Rosenthal and Jim Kleinsasser) will be just fine.
:no: Does any other WR in football demand constant double coverage or provide even close to the same redzone threat? No! In most cases, what you are saying would be true, but not this one I'm affraid.

Yeah, I don't get this one...  There's no way the Vikings are a top ten offense without Moss.  And Napoleon Harris damn sure doesn't make their defense even top 15.  This trade is ######ed from a Vikings fan point of view.  Thirty-six million under the cap and guys like Kendrell Bell and Antonio Pierce available and yet they trade their best player for a decent linebacker.  Man, I hate being a Vikings fan.
Pepper threw for 3950 yards and 24 TDs this year that werent to Randy Moss. If they bring in a Burress/Muhammad/Mason, Pepper, and the Vikings offense(which returns Mike Rosenthal and Jim Kleinsasser) will be just fine.
If you look at the games that Moss missed his stats project out to 29 TDs--not bad, but he's lost the upside potential of hitting 35-40 TDs that he had with Moss.

I still don't know what the fascination is with moving Moss for the Vikes. What has he done other than prove to be the best WR in the game...basically from the moment he was a rookie and on?

Folks can point out his personal...ah, idiosynchrasies...but he's never been busted for drugs, hitting his womens, drunk driving, or rape. Note that all of those things are old hat for the Vikes and most of the NFL.
I'm guessing the Vikes saw how much it helped the niners to trade TO and want to repeat that feat.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm guessing the Vikes saw how much it helped the niners to trade TO and want to repeat that feat.

Users who are viewing this thread