What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moss and Marijuana (1 Viewer)

strykerpks

Footballguy
LINK

NEW YORK (AP) -- Oakland Raiders receiver Randy Moss admits he has used marijuana since entering the NFL seven years ago and still smokes it "every blue moon."

"I have used, you know, marijuana ... since I've been in the league," Moss said in an interview for HBO's scheduled to air Tuesday night. "But as far as abusing it and, you know, letting it take control over me, I don't do that, no."

When pressed whether he still smokes marijuana, the star receiver with the checkered past said: "I might. I might have fun. And, you know, hopefully ... I won't get into any trouble by the NFL by saying that, you know. I have had fun throughout my years and, you know, predominantly in the offseason.

"But, you know, I don't want any kids, you know, watching this taking a lesson from me as far as 'Well, Randy Moss used it so I'm going to use it.' I don't want that to get across. Like I say ... I have used (marijuana) in the past. And every blue moon or every once in a while I might."

The NFL's drug policy calls for up to 10 tests a month after one positive result. A second violation results in a fine equal to the player's salary for four games, a third in a four-game suspension, and a year's suspension for a fourth violation.

Moss has never been suspended for violating the league's drug policy and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said it is confidential whether the receiver is in the drug program or not.

"We evaluate all conduct related to substance abuse and it is handled confidentially by the doctors," Aiello said.

Moss was traded from the Minnesota Vikings in early March. He was limited by a hamstring injury last season and finished with 49 catches for 767 yards and 13 touchdowns. It was the first time in his seven seasons that he didn't reach 1,000 yards receiving.

Moss has had problems on and off the field throughout his college and pro career. He lost scholarships at Notre Dame and Florida State because of a battery charge and marijuana use. He set records at Marshall and clearly was the most dynamic receiver in the 1998 draft, but lasted until 21st overall because of his past trouble.

Last year, Moss was fined $10,000 for pretending to pull down his pants and moon the Green Bay crowd during Minnesota's playoff win. He also drew criticism for leaving the field with 2 seconds left in a regular-season loss against Washington.

Other transgressions include bumping a traffic control officer with his car in 2002, verbally abusing corporate sponsors on a team bus in 2001 and squirting an official with a water bottle in 1999.

I'm not too familiar with the NFLs drug policy but is it possible they'll do something with this or is it much ado about nothing?

I don't see how they could do anything about it. He would have to test positive under the terms of the CBA I believe.

I don't see how they could do anything about it. He would have to test positive under the terms of the CBA I believe.
Well Moss sure better hope that is the case because if he gets hit with a suspension based off his confession he is ONE BIG IDIOT!

Not surprising. I'd be willing to bet that more than 50% of the league smokes the mean green. Thats % is even "higher" in basketball.Ricky being labeled the pot fiend poster boy is a joke when you consider just how many players are actually smoking the ganja.

Wow, that's shocking :eek: I can't believe it. I don't think this is a surprise to anyone. Didn't he have a roach in his ashtray when he ran over the traffic cop?

this would fall under the same categorie as "barry bonds did steroids"...even though i didn't have proof - i never really doubted that randy moss still smoked pot every once in a while

Not surprising. I'd be willing to bet that more than 50% of the league smokes the mean green. Thats % is even "higher" in basketball.

Ricky being labeled the pot fiend poster boy is a joke when you consider just how many players are actually smoking the ganja.
Yep.

Not surprising. I'd be willing to bet that more than 50% of the league smokes the mean green. Thats % is even "higher" in basketball.

Ricky being labeled the pot fiend poster boy is a joke when you consider just how many players are actually smoking the ganja.
:goodposting: The best part of it is that a lot of the ones that do are never suspected of it. Mark Stepnoski was the last person I would have thought to be a pot smoker when he was playing for example. I think that it is below 50% in the NFL I would guess it is closer to 20-25% I would say NBA is closer to 50% but not much more than that if at all. I know of one NBA team where at least half of the guys were smoking at one point during the season for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
How dumb can a person be.Why admit to something like this.The NFL might go after him.How can some of these players self destrust like this.

:goodposting: The best part of it is that a lot of the ones that do are never suspected of it. Mark Stepnoski was the last person I would have thought to be a pot smoker when he was playing for example. I think that it is below 50% in the NFL I would guess it is closer to 20-25% I would say NBA is closer to 50% but not much more than that if at all. I know of one NBA team where at least half of the guys were smoking at one point during the season for sure.
Um,..... yea! He is the spokesperson for some organization who wants to legalize it! Like I have said before, Raaaandee Maws is just a hillbilly frum wes verginya. Nothing wrong with toking from time to time, but you dont tell the media! :no:

Um,..... yea! He is the spokesperson for some organization who wants to legalize it! Like I have said before, Raaaandee Maws is just a hillbilly frum wes verginya. Nothing wrong with toking from time to time, but you dont tell the media! :no:
Did you think he was a pot smoker while he was playing? I know he is a spokesman for NORML now, but never while he was playing would I have thought he was smoking pot.

It something really news if everyone knew it already?For some reason I can't help but think of this statement right about now: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!"

Did you think he was a pot smoker while he was playing? I know he is a spokesman for NORML now, but never while he was playing would I have thought he was smoking pot.
I would think most people would develop their taste for the bud at a young age, not once they retired from football. But the Cowboys never had any drugs around so he probably never used during his career. ;)

I think that they need to test the Chief's offense. It sounds like QB Green and Collins were having a good time the other night according to kcstar.com. This news after we hear that the KC kicker broke a bouncer's nose. What are they doing?

:tinfoilhat: Well alrighty then. Not ever surprised, but not very good judgment to disclose that though. Although I am in the camp that should not be illegal for a variety of reasons.

i dont see the big deal with smoking poti dont do it but i consider on the same lines as drinkingi think it should be legal and i think you should be able to do whatever the hell you want as a player as long as it doesnt enhance your play ala steroidsLawrence Taylor admitted to playing games coked out of his skullhe did okLoop

Pretty stupid to come out and say that he does something that runs counter to the rules of the NFL. It effects his team, his pay, and folks outlook on him.I will say however that I applaud the fact he didn't drop this garbage that every other public use does ala "I smoked it and didn't enjoy it" or "I only puffed on it and never inhaled."Really? Cause you're aware that most folks who do it have enjoyed it as that's the whole point.Moss shoulda known better but...that's Moss for ya. Honest to a fault, I guess.

I would think most people would develop their taste for the bud at a young age, not once they retired from football. But the Cowboys never had any drugs around so he probably never used during his career. ;)
Stepnoski has said that he smoked during his career I am only saying that he isn't a player that I thought was at the time.

Anyone know how many times a player not in the drug program can be tested per year or what the drug testing policy is for non-drug program players?

Has Moss been busted for pot yet? If he hypothetically got caught using what would his punishment be? 4 days suspension?Guess who just got knocked down a notch or 2 in my rankings.

Has Moss been busted for pot yet?

If he hypothetically got caught using what would his punishment be? 4 days suspension?

Guess who just got knocked down a notch or 2 in my rankings.
just out of curiosity who would you knock up ahead of moss then?to me with TO's mess...he's in a tier all himself wr wise.

In that case it would make sense for the NFL to test Moss on a lunar cycle.

I think he's the poster boy, not because he used it, but because he's rumored to have quit football over it.

If I were an NFL league office official I wouldn't fall into the trap of testing Moss after reading his quote. It's probably just what the funluvin' Rostafarian wants! I would wait until he exhibits behavior consistant with pot use. For instance, I would have had the goalpost checked for THC residue after his touchdown catch at Lambeau last year! :toilet:

"Mr. Moss, please report for your random drug test."
Better invest in a wizzanator.
:goodposting: Whatever he does in his personal time, it's just not smart to admit publicly that you are toking "once in a blue moon", when it's against the law and against the league's policies. Doubly true for a high-profile athlete like Moss. If one were a young Oakland PD narcotics detective looking to get his name in the papers, one might just take a deeper interest in where Mr. Moss's SUV goes after practice since reading about that interview...

:goodposting: Whatever he does in his personal time, it's just not smart to admit publicly that you are toking "once in a blue moon", when it's against the law and against the league's policies. Doubly true for a high-profile athlete like Moss. If one were a young Oakland PD narcotics detective looking to get his name in the papers, one might just take a deeper interest in where Mr. Moss's SUV goes after practice since reading about that interview...
I doubt Randy has to go shopping for himself very often. Besides that they probably live in fear of him after he tried to run that one lady over.Maybe he's calling attention to it on purpose? Maybe he's somewhat trying to point out the stupidity of the whole anti marijuana bent, especially after a bunch of KC players get involved in a liquor ridden brawl? Nah, he's not that smart right?

I'm with the other people who say if it's not performance enhancing, it's not our (or the NFL's) business. I applaud him for his candor in this. It's better than the lying sacks of crud that have been spouting their nonsense lately. No I never took it, no I never took it knowingly, no it was just an ingredient in another supplement I was taking, I don't talk about the past, I never inhaled.....

Stay frosty Randy - but you don't need anyone to tell you that do you? :thumbup:

If you were a young Oakland PD narcotics detective and wasted your time with someone for personal use of marijuana you should be fired. His admitting to smoking pot also wouldn't give you probable cause to search his vehicle and therefore you would be opening yourself up to issues there as well.

Please forgive my ignorance in this matter but,We all know that smoking marijuana is illegal in the United States. Whether or not it should be is beside the point. As of now, it's a crime.My question is: is it considered to be a misdemeaner or is it a felony?If it's a misdemeaner then essentially Moss is publicly declaring to the world, "I'm breaking the law but it's no different than speeding or littering, etc."If it's a feloney then that's a whole different ballgame. Who in their right mind would publicly admit to not only committing a felony, but repeatedly committing one, and enjoying it?Once again. I don't know the law on this matter. Anyone know what level of "crime" this is considered in the US?

Please forgive my ignorance in this matter but,

We all know that smoking marijuana is illegal in the United States. Whether or not it should be is beside the point. As of now, it's a crime.

My question is: is it considered to be a misdemeaner or is it a felony?

If it's a misdemeaner then essentially Moss is publicly declaring to the world, "I'm breaking the law but it's no different than speeding or littering, etc."

If it's a feloney then that's a whole different ballgame. Who in their right mind would publicly admit to not only committing a felony, but repeatedly committing one, and enjoying it?

Once again. I don't know the law on this matter. Anyone know what level of "crime" this is considered in the US?
state law governs in most cases. here's a good map that shows the laws state by state:NORML

We all know that smoking marijuana is illegal in the United States.  Whether or not it should be is beside the point.  As of now, it's a crime.

My question is:  is it considered to be a misdemeaner or is it a felony?

If it's a misdemeaner then essentially Moss is publicly declaring to the world, "I'm breaking the law but it's no different than speeding or littering, etc."

If it's a feloney then that's a whole different ballgame.  Who in their right mind would publicly admit to not only committing a felony, but repeatedly committing one, and enjoying it?

Once again.  I don't know the law on this matter.  Anyone know what level of "crime" this is considered in the US?
state law governs in most cases. here's a good map that shows the laws state by state:NORML
to make it easy on people.California.

Possession

28.5 g or less misdemeanor none $100

More than 28.5 g misdemeanor 6 months $500

28.5 g or less on school grounds while school open (over 18 yers old) misdemeanor 10 days $500

More than 28.5 g on school grounds while school open (over 18 yers old) misdemeanor 6 months $500

Cultivation

Any amount (exception for patients or caregivers) felony 16 - 36 months none

Sale

Gift of less than 28.5 g misdemeanor none $100

Any amount felony 2 - 4 years none

28.5 g or less by a minor misdemeanor none $250

Any amount to a minor over 14 years old felony 3 - 5 years none

Any amount to a minor under 14 years old (includes offering, inducing, distributing, or employing) felony 3 - 7 years none

If it's a feloney then that's a whole different ballgame. Who in their right mind would publicly admit to not only committing a felony, but repeatedly committing one, and enjoying it?
Someone who thinks they're above the law, and just might possibly be right in thinking it. :whistle:

You ask some good questions though.

The NFL only does random testing for performanc enhancing drugs and tests for weed once a yr in training camp.

this would fall under the same categorie as "barry bonds did steroids"...even though i didn't have proof - i never really doubted that randy moss still smoked pot every once in a while
:goodposting: Bang on the money.

If one were a young Oakland PD narcotics detective looking to get his name in the papers, one might just take a deeper interest in where Mr. Moss's SUV goes after practice since reading about that interview...
Possession of pot is not really a crime in Oakland. The cop takes your weed, then 2 months later you get a postcard in the mail from the DA that says they aren't going to prosecute.

If you were a young Oakland PD narcotics detective and wasted your time with someone for personal use of marijuana you should be fired. His admitting to smoking pot also wouldn't give you probable cause to search his vehicle and therefore you would be opening yourself up to issues there as well.
:thumbup: It is still the land of the free....

We all know that smoking marijuana is illegal in the United States. Whether or not it should be is beside the point. As of now, it's a crime.

Once again. I don't know the law on this matter. Anyone know what level of "crime" this is considered in the US?
I wouldn't worry about the law.His employer (and it's union) have stricter regulations.

The only wildcard would be is if he's stil on probation from his traffic officer run-in.

I wouldn't worry about the law.His employer (and it's union) have stricter regulations.

The only wildcard would be is if he's stil on probation from his traffic officer run-in.
As long as he isn't selling, or crossing the border with it :yes:
Someone who thinks they're above the law, and just might possibly be right in thinking it.

whistling.gif
I did 85 in a 70 MPH zone driving home from Law School today. ;)

Has Moss been busted for pot yet?

If he hypothetically got caught using what would his punishment be? 4 game suspension?

Guess who just got knocked down a notch or 2 in my rankings.
just out of curiosity who would you knock up ahead of moss then?to me with TO's mess...he's in a tier all himself wr wise.
I dunno.. but if it's between him and a RB, I'm taking the back. I don't believe in going WR in the first round anyway.That post was mostly just so I can come back in 2 months and say 'told ya so' :P

We all know that smoking marijuana is illegal in the United States.  Whether or not it should be is beside the point.  As of now, it's a crime.

My question is:  is it considered to be a misdemeaner or is it a felony?

If it's a feloney then that's a whole different ballgame.  Who in their right mind would publicly admit to not only committing a felony, but repeatedly committing one, and enjoying it?

Once again.  I don't know the law on this matter.  Anyone know what level of "crime" this is considered in the US?

I am sure the Raiders are about to suspend him for the reason for his comments. Also historically the NFLPA hands out major penalties for this type of thing. :rolleyes:

Who gives a damn if Randy Moss smokes weed? It's not like it makes him a better WR.In fact, smoking a joint is about the equivalent of drinking a beer or two.

In that case it would make sense for the NFL to test Moss on a lunar cycle.
FYI, a "blue moon" actually refers to the third full moon in a season that has four full moons. That actually occurs tomorrow (Aug. 19, 2005). And occurs about every three years. then again, it depends on how you define a season also. But "blue moon" has also been (mis)interpreted to mean two full moons in a month. I was thinking that occurs only once every 2 1/2 years or so, but I'm not sure.

If I were Moss I'd go by the first definition and then refuse to define 'season' :-)))

(ok, ok, I know... more than you really wanted to know, eh )

Moss is gonna LOVE N. California!I don't think this was a smart thing to do.... but i respect his honestyhell, Doc ELlis pitched a no hitter on LSD... Moss can toke the bong once in awhile... won't kill him or his skills

He is obviously jealous of the attention TO is getting. But this is the best attention getter he could come up with?? What a donkey.

Users who are viewing this thread