What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most boring SB ever? (1 Viewer)

Agree or disagree?

• Yes, most boring matchup ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, thrilling

• No, but it's not all that great

• Other

• Total voters

-OZ-

Footballguy
Before anyone accuses me of calling the Super Bowl boring, I'm simply conducting a poll based on a couple radio show hosts out here in Kansas City who insist that this game is the most boring Super Bowl ever."no marquee names, no future Hall of Famers..." etc.Looking to see what others here feel.

Before anyone accuses me of calling the Super Bowl boring, I'm simply conducting a poll based on a couple radio show hosts out here in Kansas City who insist that this game is the most boring Super Bowl ever.

"no marquee names, no future Hall of Famers..." etc.

Looking to see what others here feel.
The league MVP and the 5th leading rusher of all-time aren't marquee names? I think these teams also have about 8-10 Pro Bowlers between them.Guys who may be future Hall of Famers (obviously it's WAY too early to tell on some of these guys, but they're players you really can't say realistically have no shot)... Roethlisberger, Ward, Bettis (lock), Polamalu, Alexander, Porter, Tatupu, Darrell Jackson, Faneca, Walter Jones, S. Hutchinson.

:shrug:

I think you've got idiot radio hosts in KC. Shawn Alexander is going to the hall of fame. Big Ben is going to the hall. MOst likely the Bus is going, and he's going home to Detroit on his way. (side note here. I don't think he's among the all time greats, and I wouldn't put him in, but he's likely going). Walter Jones will be in one day. They're the two best teams, and I think it, along w/ most superbowls of late, will be awesome. Is their suggestion that Peyton Manning would have made it better? Why? So he could choke on a bigger stage? I'll chalk it up to KC whining, because they can't get a sniff of an AFC Championship, let alone a SB.

Before anyone accuses me of calling the Super Bowl boring, I'm simply conducting a poll based on a couple radio show hosts out here in Kansas City who insist that this game is the most boring Super Bowl ever.

Have these guys lost their minds? Most boring ever? PLEASE.Bettis is a future Hall of Famer. Roethlisberger is a great young QB who has Hall potential for sure in 10 years or so......Ward could be a Hall of Famer if he produces into his late thirties. Polamalu is a dominant defensive player who is as exciting as anyone to watch.

Alexander is a potential Hall of Famer. Tatupu, like Polamalu, is a terrific player to watch. Not a skill position, but Walter Jones is going to be in the Hall of Fame.

Besides, whoever votes "worst matchup ever" is either a Giants or Ravens fan, because that 2001 Super Bowl was the worst matchup ever. The worst, Jerry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll also add that people said the same thing leading up to the NE/Car game two years ago. I think it was an all time great SB.

Below average in "entertainment value"...but far from most boring ever. Big Ben, Bettis and Holmgren add some flava.I am starting to get sick of the Bettis hype though...his dad was geting interviewed on ESPN radio this morning. :X

The league MVP and the 5th leading rusher of all-time aren't marquee names? I think these teams also have about 8-10 Pro Bowlers between them.

Guys who may be future Hall of Famers (obviously it's WAY too early to tell on some of these guys, but they're players you really can't say realistically have no shot)... Roethlisberger, Ward, Bettis (lock), Polamalu, Alexander, Porter, Tatupu, Darrell Jackson, Faneca, Walter Jones, S. Hutchinson.

I hate to say it, but Alexander isn't a true marquee name. He should be, but honestly, if you ask most non-fans, they won't recognize the name, or if they do, they won't know much about him. Peyton, Tom Brady, TO, etc. are "marquee names". In this case, marquee means commercial appeal, not "exceptional talent". If you're going to list Lofa, you might as well list Heath Miller.

I think you've got idiot radio hosts in KC.

Shawn Alexander is going to the hall of fame. Big Ben is going to the hall. MOst likely the Bus is going, and he's going home to Detroit on his way. (side note here. I don't think he's among the all time greats, and I wouldn't put him in, but he's likely going). Walter Jones will be in one day.

They're the two best teams, and I think it, along w/ most superbowls of late, will be awesome.

Is their suggestion that Peyton Manning would have made it better? Why? So he could choke on a bigger stage?

I'll chalk it up to KC whining, because they can't get a sniff of an AFC Championship, let alone a SB.
Rationalize for me why the 5th leading rusher of all-time might get in, but a 2nd year QB will get in.

I'll chalk it up to KC whining, because they can't get a sniff of an AFC Championship, let alone a SB.
Hold the calls Bob, We have a winner. I agree 100%.

They even had the gall to attack Detroit as a Super Bowl location, while trying to pimp KC if Arrowhead got a roof.

Shawn Alexander is going to the hall of fame.  Big Ben is going to the hall.  MOst likely the Bus is going, and he's going home to Detroit on his way.  (side note here.  I don't think he's among the all time greats, and I wouldn't put him in, but he's likely going).  Walter Jones will be in one day. 

They're the two best teams, and I think it, along w/ most superbowls of late, will be awesome. 

Is their suggestion that Peyton Manning would have made it better?  Why?  So he could choke on a bigger stage? 

Rationalize for me why the 5th leading rusher of all-time might get in, but a 2nd year QB will get in.
took the words right out of my mouth.

Shawn Alexander is going to the hall of fame. Big Ben is going to the hall. MOst likely the Bus is going,
took the words right out of my mouth.
Oh, I thought he was just saying Ben is making a trip to Canton. ;)

All those games in the 90s that were complete mismatches were boring to me. Dallas/Buff one, SD/SF, anything with Denver pre TD, the Giants/Ravens, etc. Top offense vs a top defense. Resurgent offense vs resurgent defense. Lot's of good athletes, Steeler history, new guy on the block, Bettis, Detroit having a Super Bowl, Kid Rock sightings....it's gonna be a great game.

Below average in "entertainment value"...but far from most boring ever.

Big Ben, Bettis and Holmgren add some flava.

I am starting to get sick of the Bettis hype though...his dad was geting interviewed on ESPN radio this morning. :X
Just a question: Of the 12 playoff teams, which two would have provided the most "entertainment value"?Indianapolis vs. New York? (Manning vs. Manning)

New England vs. Chicago (Rematch of Super Bowl 20?)

I love the matchup for XL....but I'm wondering what some would think that "ideal" match-up, entertainment-wise, would have been.....

The league MVP and the 5th leading rusher of all-time aren't marquee names?  I think these teams also have about 8-10 Pro Bowlers between them.

Guys who may be future Hall of Famers (obviously it's WAY too early to tell on some of these guys, but they're players you really can't say realistically have no shot)...  Roethlisberger, Ward, Bettis (lock), Polamalu, Alexander, Porter, Tatupu, Darrell Jackson, Faneca, Walter Jones, S. Hutchinson.

I hate to say it, but Alexander isn't a true marquee name. He should be, but honestly, if you ask most non-fans, they won't recognize the name, or if they do, they won't know much about him. Peyton, Tom Brady, TO, etc. are "marquee names". In this case, marquee means commercial appeal, not "exceptional talent". If you're going to list Lofa, you might as well list Heath Miller.
Miller had a nice rookie year, but Lofa looks like he could be a 15-year force in this league.

the only Super Bowl I haven't watched in the last 30 years is Baltimore vs NYG. That was unwatchable. I ended up driving around Portland on a rainy day looking for a new house to buy.

When talking heads complain that a Super Bowl isn't "sexy" it usually means that it doesn't have a dozen so-called stories they can pound into the dirt for 2 weeks.By the way, did you guys know Jerome Bettis is from Detroit???

The MVP of the league is playing as is one of the best defensive rookies and an amazing 2nd year QB in Roethlesberger.What do you want?

The fact that there are tons of great players and yes, some future HOF'ers squaring off here = compelling.The fact that these teams look pretty evenly matched to me and I expect a very competitive ballgame = compelling.The fact that the teams seem to match up interestingly in a strength-vs-strength way = compelling.The fact that Bettis is likely wrapping up a HOF career with his first and only SB appearance in his hometown, and I can't wait to see what he does on that stage = compelling.The fact that either a really great coach wins his first (and long overdue) title for a storied franchise, or a really great franchise with really great fans wins their first (and long overdue) tite = compelling.The fact that the bar down the street is offering bottomless pitchers of Miller Lite served by the Miller Lite Girls (whoever the hell they are) during the game = compelling.I find the whole thing pretty ####### compelling, frankly.

Not to mention that Holmgren with a win would be the first coach to ever lead two different teams to a Super Bowl victory....I think....did Shula not do that?

In my book, every Superbowl is great to see! This is the apex of the greatest time of the year for football fans.I go to Vegas every year for the game and it is one hell of a time. I suggest it for every football fan to do once in their lives!Go Stillers, you beat my Colts, get the Bus a ring! :towelwave:

Yeah, too bad there aren't any super-compelling players like Trent Green or Eddie Kennison to watch.

Shawn Alexander is going to the hall of fame. Big Ben is going to the hall. MOst likely the Bus is going, and he's going home to Detroit on his way. (side note here. I don't think he's among the all time greats, and I wouldn't put him in, but he's likely going). Walter Jones will be in one day.

Is their suggestion that Peyton Manning would have made it better? Why? So he could choke on a bigger stage?

Because, IMHO, Bettis is a slighly above average back, who has played for a team with a philosophy to run the ball, and he has played a long, long time, compiling numbers. Similar to Emmitt. I do think Emmitt was hall worthy, but make no mistake. I don't believe being the all time rusher makes him the best back ever. Most accomplished, but no best ever. Pete Rose is the 'hit king', but he's not the best hitter ever. NOlan Ryan has the most no hitters, but not the best pitcher ever. Very good for a long time, but never great. On BR, I am forecasting. I watched the guy play in College, and was amazed. I felt he should have been the top QB taken, not 3rd, but he wasn't. I don't think there's any argument that I was right, at this juncture, and he'll only get better. I think he'll have a hall of fame type of career, and I'll even go as far as to say he'll outplay Hass in 2 weeks, and have a SB ring, in his second year. Not as a manager, but as an elite NFL QB.

I see a lot of NE/Pitt/Indy teams in the SB over the next 10 years, because they've all got QBs who can do it virtually single handedly. The big difference being Manning has a penchant for never playing great when they need him to. He plays great when they're winning 32-7, but he doesn't seem able to come up big when they need it.

The league MVP and the 5th leading rusher of all-time aren't marquee names? I think these teams also have about 8-10 Pro Bowlers between them.

Guys who may be future Hall of Famers (obviously it's WAY too early to tell on some of these guys, but they're players you really can't say realistically have no shot)... Roethlisberger, Ward, Bettis (lock), Polamalu, Alexander, Porter, Tatupu, Darrell Jackson, Faneca, Walter Jones, S. Hutchinson.

Miller had a nice rookie year, but Lofa looks like he could be a 15-year force in this league.
Its because of the Patriot blood in his system from Mosi. ;)

This was the most subtle Bettis is not a hall of famer post ever.Kudos

this is beyond silly.No Super Bowl will ever be as uninspiring as Giants/Ravens was.I think this is a great matchup and should be a good game.

the only Super Bowl I haven't watched in the last 30 years is Baltimore vs NYG. That was unwatchable. I ended up driving around Portland on a rainy day looking for a new house to buy.
:yawn: i agree.

Bettis and Walter Jones have good shots to make the Hall, and Alexander is a lock if he keeps up this production. A win for Rothlisberger would go a long way towards putting him at Aikman-Brady status.Polamalu and Tatupu could both be future superstars.

I am starting to get sick of the Bettis hype though...his dad was geting interviewed on ESPN radio this morning. :X
You just wait. If Pittsburgh wins SB XL, The Bus will have a whole raft of "big man" endorsments all lined up and ready to go for the entire offseason.FWIW, I am really looking forward to this game.

Say what? Bettis is going to the HOF and some others may as well. Then there's the league MVP and season TD record-holder, S. Alexander...not to mention Big Ben, an up & coming QB.Maybe what they meant is there's no jackass like T. Owens in the game.

I thought the Super Bowl after the 1981 season was a lame matchup. Those two teams had combined for 72 losses in the previous three seasons; who knew anything about this Joe Montana character?

Everytime I hear how awful the match up is, we have a great game. I was at the Giants/Ravens and the highlight for me was sitting in the same booth as Angie Harmon. Lowlight was the Ray Lewis Flingin Feces dance and the game itself.

I also found other things to do that day. The Giants got there with that flukey game against the Vikes. The Ravens bored everyone all year, but they had an awesome D. There was really no question of who was going to win that game while putting you to sleep.

Wow some DJs said something brainless and asinine. shocking.

I'm intriuged by this SuperBowl matchup... looks like beauty and the beast, with Seahawks' offense and Steelers' defense providing a great contest (when Seattle is on offense we should get a good look at a QB in command of his West Coast offense going against a stout defense that plays with emotion)should be good

:2cents: I don't see how or why people would decide ahead of time that it was going to be boring. Anything is possible but IMO it looks like it could be a terrific matchup :boxing:

the 2nd bills vs. cowboys match-up made me want to hurl (especially when you consider that a montana/chiefs vs. young/49ers match-up was possible going into the conference title games)

Users who are viewing this thread