What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Motor City Bowl (1 Viewer)

coolnerd

Footballguy
Motor City Bowl-Akron versus Memphis

Akron

Dominek Hixson WR 6'2 190-productive WR who was supposed to be a deep threat, but did not seem to have above average speed, quickness or moves. Dropped a couple of passes also. Returns kicks but did not look dynamic. Thinking FA type more than even late rounder.

Kiki Gonzalez DT 6'1 300- held ground well against the run, either standing the center up or pushing him back often. DeAngelo Williams damage came from bouncing plays to the outside or off the offensive tackle, not running up the middle. Looked to wear down late and was one of the guys carried into the endzone by Williams in the 4th quarter. Probably a FA look at.

Brett Biggs Rb 5'9 190- another of the productive college backs who are probably a little small and/or a hair slow that I have seen during the bowl season. Made a big play in the passing game, but pretty pedestrian outside of that. IMO, FA type.

Memphis

Maurice Avery 6-1 216- was 2nd team all conference WR in 2004, but moved to QB in 2005. Athletic with a sturdy build probably a FA look at prospect at WR. Threw a good deep ball as QB, but also made a couple of nice blocks.

DeAngelo Williams- RB 5'10 217-Excellent vision, cutting ability and quickness to the hole. Blocking did not allow him to run between the tackles much, so bounced a lot outside. In the 4th quarter made a great near TD run followed by an even better short TD run where he carried to big guys into the endzone.

Marcus West DL 6'4 265-was active but hard to evaluate in that goofy 2-4-5 defense of Memphis.

Stephen Gostkowski K- kicked 50 yarder in this game, only missed like 2 or 3 all year. Kickoffs regularly into the endzone.

Note: TIVOed Hawaii Bowl Nevada v Central Florida-will report at some point.

Mainly seemed to me like an offensive slugfest. Williams, Avery and Arthur stole the show. Arthur surprised me quite a bit. He seems to me a tweener between QB and WR that could get a lot of attention come draft time a la Matt Jones. Athleticism is there and made a few great catches albeit against a pretty lame secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainly seemed to me like an offensive slugfest. Williams, Avery and Arthur stole the show. Arthur surprised me quite a bit. He seems to me a tweener between QB and WR that could get a lot of attention come draft time a la Matt Jones. Athleticism is there and made a few great catches albeit against a pretty lame secondary.
Arthur is only a sophomore with limited experience @WR so it will be interesting to see how well he develops.

I've never watched Williams - can he read blocks inside and make power runs as well as busting it outside?

I've never watched Williams - can he read blocks inside and make power runs as well as busting it outside?
yeah, today was more a case where until late in the game there were not any holes for him to run through. Both his long run and his TD in the early 4th QB were inside plays. As for power, on that aforementioned TD, he basically powered two Dlmen about 2 yards to get the ball in. IMO, this sequence showed the total package of physical ability, and determination. From what I saw in this game he has the ability to be a feature runner in the NFL.

yeah, today was more a case where until late in the game there were not any holes for him to run through. Both his long run and his TD in the early 4th QB were inside plays. As for power, on that aforementioned TD, he basically powered two Dlmen about 2 yards to get the ball in. IMO, this sequence showed the total package of physical ability, and determination. From what I saw in this game he has the ability to be a feature runner in the NFL.
:goodposting: A quick addition of my own estimated that Williams powered his way from anywhere from .5 to 1.5 yards carrying a combined load of 568 lbs. worth of defenders. :thumbup:

From what I saw in limited watching, Biggs a;lso had a nice run where he drug the pile a few yards.Other than the listed guys, I liked what I saw from a corner from Akron as well, don't remember his name, though. I will try and find it.

Users who are viewing this thread