What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Candidate or Bust? Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

If your Democratic Candidate of choice isn't the nominee, will you still vote for the Democrat that

• Absolutely

Votes: 58 61.7%
  • Probably

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • On The Fence

• Probably Not

• Absolutely Not

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Not Applicable, I'll be voting for the Republican

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
This Bloomberg article about Bernie Sanders supporters claiming it was Bernie or Bust made me think. The article says a sliver of supporters say if Sanders isn't the nominee, they won't vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is. 

Do you feel at all like this, regardless of your candidate of choice? 

In other words, if your Democratic Candidate of choice isn't the nominee, will you still vote for the Democrat that is nominated?

Well I was one of the loudest never Hillary people here so I guess I should answer. And the answer is it depends. There is no one that I am as anti as I was Clinton. So it depends on policy and if I believe their commitment to it. It depends on how they make their campaign money. It depends on how the Senate and Congress look in regards to who holds the majority and how much input the left will have.

It's a long way off with many twists and turns. I'll make my decision when we can actually say ok this is the guy or woman.

Who, I cannot yet say though generally the Libertarian party candidate.  Why? - I choose to want to support third party politics.  The back and forth of the two main parties has done nothing to convince me that they can govern in my interests and not their own.
That and I live in a deep deep blue state...

Well I was one of the loudest never Hillary people here so I guess I should answer. And the answer is it depends. There is no one that I am as anti as I was Clinton. So it depends on policy and if I believe their commitment to it. It depends on how they make their campaign money. It depends on how the Senate and Congress look in regards to who holds the majority and how much input the left will have.

It's a long way off with many twists and turns. I'll make my decision when we can actually say ok this is the guy or woman.

Is your choice between voting for the Dem or not voting? Or a third party? Or would you consider Trump?

Voted probably not.

In 2016 I voted for Sanders in the primary and cast a very reluctant vote for Clinton in the general. Trump was never a consideration for me, it came down to Clinton or Johnson. FWIW I am in a very blue state.

I am supporting Sanders again in the primary this year. Given the way the rest of the field is shaping up, if Sanders is not the nominee I think it's unlikely I would support the eventual winner, but I suppose its possible.

The possibility of voting for Trump is not on the radar for me. It would either be third party or abstain.

"Perot Or Bust" resulted in President Bill Clinton.
"Nader Or Bust" resulted in President George W. Bush.
"Bernie Or Bust" resulted in President Donald Trump.
Not true. Exit polls showed that Perot took from both candidates equally. The most you can say about his impact is that his entries/exits/re-entries shook up the race in unpredictable ways. But there is zero evidence that he tipped the election to Clinton, or that Bush would have won without him.

Voted probably not.

In 2016 I voted for Sanders in the primary and cast a very reluctant vote for Clinton in the general. Trump was never a consideration for me, it came down to Clinton or Johnson. FWIW I am in a very blue state.

I am supporting Sanders again in the primary this year. Given the way the rest of the field is shaping up, if Sanders is not the nominee I think it's unlikely I would support the eventual winner, but I suppose its possible.

The possibility of voting for Trump is not on the radar for me. It would either be third party or abstain.
I think this is a very important element to the poll. If you're in a solidly blue/red state you can pretty much do whatever you want with your vote. If you're in one of the 10-12 states that actually matters, the calculation is very different. (Good time to remind everyone why we should get rid of the Electoral College).

I voted yes, but I wouldn't be very happy if Bernie won the nomination. But that's mostly because I don't see him doing well in the general, I don't see him uniting the party behind him, plus I'd be worried that would encourage Schultz to stay in the race. I still can't imagine not voting Dem.

That said, I have a friend who is a die-hard liberal Democrat who can't stand Bernie and says he won't vote for him in the general. And he lives in a swing state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a very important element to the poll.
I think you're right. That said, I don't think my position on this would change if I lived in, say, Ohio. But it's hard to know for sure until you actually cast the vote. At least in my mind.

I’m working on a commercial lease deal right now for a national ice cream chain for a prime beach location in Long Beach. I represent the tenant. We’re still arguing over the rent, and for the past 3 days the landlord’s agent has thrown out a new number; each time they do so they write: “this is our LAST and FINAL offer.” 

Thats what I think of when I hear “Bernie or Bust”. 

I would just vote for whoever I think the best candidate is regardless of party.

I would rank Trump behind every major Democratic candidate this time around, but there are plenty of Democrats I'd rank Bill Weld ahead of. And we don't know yet who the third-party candidates will be.

(If I lived in a swing state, I wouldn't consider third-party candidates. But I don't live in a swing state.)

Joe, we have multi threads with anyone but trump as 1B. At this point should we care with who 1A is. 

Ive made several posts to gain insight and have been mostly met with propaganda 

Is your choice between voting for the Dem or not voting? Or a third party? Or would you consider Trump?
Trump will never, ever, ever get my vote. He is the absolute opposite of everything I look for in a leader. He is morally and intellectually bankrupt. 

The right 3rd party candidate might have a shot. But given the people running I think if they just dont end up with another third way, corporate owned, almost a Republican candidate I'll be able to pull the lever for the Democrat. Seems like a low bar but then again.

Ouch again. Where are all the R's on this board? 2 'not applicable'  votes and one of them was my independent vote.

How do you know if they will make a good President?
I want a person I feel I can trust.  I want a person that not only cares about our country but people in general.  I want a person that I think is a real leader and that I can believe in.  I want someone that is not only intelligent but actually sounds intelligent when speaking in public.  I want someone I have respect for and I want to know the rest of the world will have respect for them.

Basically, just look at all of Trump's personal traits and think of the opposite.  That's a good start for what I want for a President.

"Perot Or Bust" resulted in President Bill Clinton.
"Nader Or Bust" resulted in President George W. Bush.
"Bernie Or Bust" resulted in President Donald Trump.
Clinton getting 270+ electoral votes resulted in President Bill Clinton

Bush getting 270+ electoral votes resulted in President GW Bush

Trump getting 270+ electoral votes resulted in President Donald Trump

I'm an independent and if Bernie is the choice, I will not vote for the democrats. I need more info on some of the other Democratic candidates before I could comment any further.

I’m not a My Candidate kind of guy, too many clay feet littering the rear view mirror. But I just don’t see anyone likely to win the nom who doesn’t beet Trump in the qualities I most care about, which are character and competence.

I was Bernie or bust last time and voted Stein.  I'll vote for a progressive if the Dems put another one up instead of Bernie this time around.  If they shove another DINO down or throats I'm skipping the third party protest and voting GOP.

I'm a Republican and if I didn't like the Republican choice I would vote for Amy Klobuchar.   I don't believe in voting the party line under any circumstances.

I'll vote for anyone but 2 people among the most prominent current choices. The exceptions are Trump and "Beto". Thankfully I like my chances of being able to cast a vote that matters.

I'll further add that if the Republican candidate (incumbent) was someone strong, there are many current Dem candidates I'd probably have ruled out by now. If the Reps were running a very strong candidate (rare these days), I would have crossed Biden, Beto, Harris, Gillibrand, and Swalwell off my list. But the Rep candidate would have to be one heck of an incumbent to have made those eliminations at this point.

I don't think I can ever vote for Trump or anyone even tangentially related to him, ever.  Not Lindsey Graham (I voted for him 2x previously), not Pence, no Republican currently on the house, Senate, etc...anyone who has participated in the Trumping of the GOP.

Nikki Haley will be an interesting case for me.  As a South Carolinian, I assume she will come up in an election sometime.  I will need to know is she has principles or if she is a partisan toadie like the rest of them.

I say this as a life-long Republican, but sorry... GOP clearly put party over country and that's something I will never get past.

ETA: I won't be voting for anyone in 2020, I'll be voting against anyone with an (R) after their name.

I giggled imagining the possibilities
We need someone who can turnip the heat on Trump and and pepper him with attacks as he tries to spinach his way out of all the scandals that keep leeking out.

OK, I'll stop now. This is getting radicchio.

Users who are viewing this thread