What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My First Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Da Flyin Lion

Footballguy
I'd just like to say I've really enjoyed reading everyone's mock drafts the last few months a feel compelled to try one myself. I'm going to include a few trades and see how it goes. Can't wait for the real draft in a few weeks and I hope this helps some of you guys pass the time as well as the other mocks have for me.

1.1 Houston - Reggie Bush - I don't think anyone will trade all the way up to #1 for Bush at this point and it seems like Houston can't take anyone else but Bush. Not too much more to say about this pick. Houston should have an exciting offense next year.

1.2 *TRADE* NY JETS #1.4, 1.29, for NO #2 - Matt Leinart. This is the only way the Jets are going to get Leinart. No booing for the Jets fans this year and Leinart should be happy in the Big Apple. Maybe NO was hoping to get more then 2-1st round picks for this spot, but only moving down 2 spots should still get them the guy they want anyway.

1.3 Tennessee - Vince Young - I don't see anyone wanting to trade up this high for a player other then Vince Young and I really don't think Young is worth the #3 pick either, but Tennessee had Leinart pulled out from under them so they are forced to settle for their #2 QB. Not a bad pick if it works out but still a bigger risk then Leinart. If Young does get passed up here, I think he'll fall to Oakland.

1.4 New Orleans (from Jets) - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - NO gets the guy they were going to take at #2 and the #29 pick to go along with it. If for some reason Ferguson were taken at 1.3, NO would have been just as happy taking Hawk or Mario. This turns out to be a can't lose trade for NO.

1.5 Green Bay - AJ Hawk - A lot of people like Mario Williams better then AJ but I prefer AJ here. GB would definately be happy with either one and they're probably hoping one of 'em goes first making their choice a little easier.

1.6 San Francisco - Vernon Davis - This is the highest spot for a TE to get drafted in quite a while but even Rob Rang rates Davis as the best TE in years. Just what Alex Smith needs. Niners passed up on Williams but they can draft Defense for the rest of day 1.

1.7 Oakland - Mario Williams - Williams fall ends here. Oakland gets the best player available.

1.8 Buffalo - Winston Justice - A lot of people predicted Ngata here, but with the Bills signing Tripplet, O-Line is now a higher priority.

1.9 Detroit - Michael Huff - Lions lost all their CB depth this year and are going to try to pair Huff up with Dre Bly. O-Line is probably the biggest need for Detroit but there's still a lot of options available in round 2.

1.10 Arizona - Haloti Ngata - The Cards biggest need right now are probably O-Line and CB so their disappointed to see those two picks go right in front of them. They could go Cutler looking for the QB of the future but instead they take the best player available. Ngata can be an impact player this year.

1.11 St. Louis - Ernie Sims - The Rams had a few good pickups on Defense in free agency and Sims is another one. Another best player available pick and you can never have enough LBs.

1.12 Cleveland - Broderick Bunkley - A lot of drafts have Bunkley going here and I like it. Another contributor to a very active team this offseason.

1.13 Baltimore - Jimmy Williams - I don't buy the RB draft predictions. Baltimore needs to win now and return to their glory days with a dominating Defense. Another RB competing for time with Lewis and Anderson isn't going to improve their offense overall. An offensive pick would help here but I think their RBs are good enough and another year with Mason, Heap and co. together should help the offense improve as well. Jimmy Williams will help replace Deion too.

1.14 Philly - Deangelo Williams - Let's face it, Philly isn't ever going to get it right with their Wide Receivers. So why not take the best RB so at least McNabb will have a little more help on offense. Williams and Westbrook both in the backfield... sending Westbrook out as a WR... this gives Philly some unique options with their offense. It probably won't happen though.

1.15 Denver - Chad Jackson - Denver get's the top WR to hopefully replace Rod Smith in a year or two like Lelie was supposed to do.

1.16 Miami - Antonio Cromartie - Miami should either go LB or CB. Cromartie might be a bit of a reach here but no one really jumps out at me. Maybe Greenway.

1.17 Minnesota - Jay Cutler - If the Vikings don't take Cutler here I think he falls out of the first round, but with BJ as their only option at QB right now, they have no other choice. Say hello to the next Tim Couch.

1.18 Dallas - Manny Lawson - A lot of folks have predicted Manny Lawson here and I agree.

1.19 San Diego - Donte Whitner - Santonio Holmes seems like the logical pick here but I just don't see him ending up as a #1 WR in the NFL. Sure, Rivers needs another WR to throw to and McCardell is getting old but I feel they could get a similar WR in round 2 or 3. Whitner will immediately help their week Defensive Back positions.

1.20 Kansas City - Mathias Kiwanuka - KC can go a lot of directions with this pick. WR, CB, and O-Line are all options. I'm assuming both SD and KC won't like Holmes for him to get passed up by again here. Kiwanuka is a big guy and should help KC put up a little more pressure on Defense.

1.21 New England - Chad Greenway - Greeway has fallen quite a bit in the last few months so if Bellicheck can get him in shape, they've got another weapon on Defense.

1.22 Denver Broncos - Kamerion Wimbley - The Cleveland Browns reject line can only do so much. Denver uses one first round pick on Offense, and the other on this DE from Florida St. Look for a RB in the 2nd or 3rd of course.

1.23 Tampa Bay - Marcus McNeil - Maybe I was saving him for Tampa Bay just a little bit but I don't see him going much higher. Maybe KC or Miami could take him but if they don't, he won't get past TB. Should help open a few holes for Cadillac.

1.24 Cincinnati - Gabe Watson - lots of predictions for a TE here, but Lewis is a former DC and would love to be able to stuff the line against the rest of his NFC North opponents (even without Bettis in Pittsburgh.) Does it usually take this long for a Wolverine to get drafted?

1.25 NY Giants - Bobby Carpenter - Carpenter is a little bigger then DeMeco Ryans but about the same speed. And he's got a big heart. I think he and Jeremy Shockey will turn out to be best friends and someday star in the remake of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

1.26 Chicago - Santonio Holmes - Like I said, I don't think Holmes will be a #1 WR in the NFL, but Chicago needs a #2 to go with Moose. No other glarring need here for the Bears.

1.27 Carolina - LenDale White - Davis and Foster turns into White and Foster. With all the pounding Carolina does, they gonna need more then one healthy RB anyway, they could probably draft another RB in the 2nd and still not have enough.

1.28 Jacksonville - Lawrence Maroney - Jacksonville sees it's chance to take the last 1st round rated RB off the board right befrore Indy's pick. This is more a strategic move to gain dominancy in the NFC South then it is a pick for need or BPA. Edge was responsible for at least 2 or 3 Colts victories a year so without a first round RB, Jacksonville might just win more games then Indy this year. It's still a good pick though. Maroney could easily end the year as Jacksonvilles starting RB. Fred is now fragile and old and if Jones or Toefield were the answer, they would be starting already.

1.29 New Orleans (from NY Jets) - DeMeco Ryans - Definately a step down from AJ Hawk but still definately a 1st Round LB. Great trade for the Saints.

1.30 Indianapolis - D'Qwell Jackson - Indy could reach for Addai at RB or just simply go BPA on defense. Who's BPA on Defense? Tamba Hali and Tye Hill would also be excellent choices.

1.31 Seattle - Tamba Hali - Hali's stock as dropped lately but not quite out of the first round. A safety like Ko Simpson or Darnell Bing would be nice, but maybe they'll still be around in the 2nd?

1.32 Pittsburgh - Jason Allen - A DB would be a good pick for Pittsburgh who will probably have to get by Indy once again if they want to repeat at the Superbowl.

Round 2 (First round pick)

2.1 Houston - Nick Mangold (Bush)

2.2 New Orleans - Jonathan Joseph (Ferguson, Ryans)

2.3 NY Jets - Eric Winston (Leinart)

2.4 Green Bay - Claude Wroten (Hawk)

2.5 San Francisco - Tye Hill (Davis)

2.6 Oakland - Thomas Howard (Williams)

2.7 Tennessee - Abdul Hodge (Young)

2.8 Detroit - Max-Jean Giles (Huff)

2.9 Arizona - Jonathan Scott (Ngata)

2.10 Buffalo - Leonard Pope (Justice)

2.11 Cleveland - Daryl Tapp (Bunkley)

2.12 Baltimore - Rocky McIntosh (Williams)

2.13 Philadelphia - Dusty Dvoracek (Williams)

2.14 St. Louis - Kelly Jennings (Sims)

2.15 Atlanta - Joseph Addai

2.16 Minnesota - Darnell Bing (Cutler)

2.17 Dallas - Ko Simpson (Lawson)

2.18 San Diego - Sinorice Moss (Whitner)

2.19 Minnesota - Omar Gaither (Cutler, Bing)

2.20 New England - Rodrique Wright (Greenway)

2.21 Washington - Richard Marshall

2.22 Kansas City - Ashton Youboty (Kiwanuka)

2.23 Cincinnati - Dominique Byrd (Watson)

2.24 NY Giants - Andrew Whitworth (Carpenter)

2.25 Chicago - Anthony Fasano (Holmes)

2.26 Carolina - John McCargo (White)

2.27 Tampa Bay - Parys Haralson (McNeil)

2.28 Jacksonville - Mark Anderson (Williams)

2.29 Denver - Charlie Whitehurst (Jackson, Wimbley)

2.30 Indianapolis - Maurice Drew (Jackson)

2.31 Seattle - Daniel Bullocks (Hali)

2.31 Pittsburgh - Brian Calhoun (Allen)

Thanks for reading, Hope you enjoyed it. Sorry if there are grammatical errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent work there.

While I do agree Ngata is the BPA left at #10, with Darnell Dockett in fold and them having just given Kendrick Clancy a good deal of coin, Id be surprised if they went this route. This looks like a prime spot for Cutler, whether it be the Cards drafting him, or the Vikings coming up ahead of Baltimore to take him.

I personally like Jimmy Williams at #11 for the Rams. The Rams have a very depleted DB corps and adding a DB should be more of a priority than LB, especially with the Rams signing Witherspoon and having Pisa and Coakley still in the fold. Maybe 2nd round for a LB for the Rammies? Although Sims I could easily see in a Rams uni.

Pretty good mock, IMO.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Carolina will not draft a RB in the 1st round!

They already have depth at that position. Why would they spend a first round pick on one?

Excellent work there.

While I do agree Ngata is the BPA left at #10, with Darnell Dockett in fold and them having just given Kendrick Clancy a good deal of coin, Id be surprised if they went this route. This looks like a prime spot for Cutler, whether it be the Cards drafting him, or the Vikings coming up ahead of Baltimore to take him.
That's a good point. I was thinking more about AZ poor D-line last year as opposed to who they had at those positions. Forgot about Dockett too. Don't see Ngata going much lower then that though.

Say hello to the next Tim Couch.
Care to expand on this? Haven't heard that comparison before.
I'm not very high on Cutler at all. Supposedly he has all the "right stuff" for a QB but came from a terrible football school with a losing season his senior year. Reminds me of Tim Couch from Kentucky. Maybe more the situation then the football player. I could see Cutler's career ending up similar to Couch's.

They already have depth at that position. Why would they spend a first round pick on one?
Carolina does have depth at RB, but if I recall, they needed every one of them last year to make it to the NFC championship. Davis is pretty much done, Foster can't last a season, and goings role player who can aswer the call when needed. Maybe Eric Shelton will come up big this year but he didn't pan out too well last year. This is what got Carolina to the NFCC last year (not to discount Delhomme, Smith or their D), may White can get them the to Superbowl this year.

I'm not very high on Cutler at all. Supposedly he has all the "right stuff" for a QB but came from a terrible football school with a losing season his senior year. Reminds me of Tim Couch from Kentucky. Maybe more the situation then the football player. I could see Cutler's career ending up similar to Couch's.
Well, Cutler and Couch are similar in that they are both White and played in the SEC.Couch played in a wide-open shotgun Run-N-Shoot type offense that really masked his weaknesses and allowed him to rack up huge numbers despite a weak arm and not much in the way of football smarts.

Cutler played in a pro-style offense that barely had SEC-level talent, let alone NFL caliber talent, and single-handedly beat a few good teams and took a very good Florida Gators team into OT this past year. Hes got all the great measurables and a ton of natural leadership ability.

They already have depth at that position.  Why would they spend a first round pick on one?
Carolina does have depth at RB, but if I recall, they needed every one of them last year to make it to the NFC championship. Davis is pretty much done, Foster can't last a season, and goings role player who can aswer the call when needed. Maybe Eric Shelton will come up big this year but he didn't pan out too well last year. This is what got Carolina to the NFCC last year (not to discount Delhomme, Smith or their D), may White can get them the to Superbowl this year.
Shelton never saw the field last year. He was on IR before the season started(correct me if I'm wrong). Reports were saying that he was disappointing in camps, but he was a rookie. You don't give up on a back drafted that high after having him on IR all of his rookie season. Also, Goings has done nothing but produce when he has played. I'm not saying that Carolina will not draft a back, but I'm pretty sure it will not be in the first round.

I'm beginning to think Pittburgh might take White.

His stock is falling sufficiently that he should still be there, and I don't think the Steelers want to have to run Parker 20 times a game. Using him as a RB1 last year was more out of necessity than anything else. I think they'd prefer to pound it with a big back like White then use Parker as the change of pace guy.

Also fits the Pittsburgh front office tradition of taking guys who were highly ranked and then fell a little before the draft for whatever reason - eg Heath Miller last year who was also coming off an injury.

They already have depth at that position.  Why would they spend a first round pick on one?
Shelton never saw the field last year. He was on IR before the season started(correct me if I'm wrong). Reports were saying that he was disappointing in camps, but he was a rookie. You don't give up on a back drafted that high after having him on IR all of his rookie season. Also, Goings has done nothing but produce when he has played. I'm not saying that Carolina will not draft a back, but I'm pretty sure it will not be in the first round.
I pretty much said the same thing. Shelton didn't pan out because he was on IR, and Going answered the call by producing when needed. My point is that Carolina had a lot of depth at RB last year too and pretty much went through all of it. So one more RB wouldn't necessarily be too much. Sure they might not take one in the first round, but you know they've considered White since Fox has already met with him.

By your logic Houston shouldn't draft Bush either though. They've invested draft picks in Jonathan White and Davis and both, especially Davis have produced when they played.

I have definately considered your point though and I still think it's a possibility they take White.

I pretty much said the same thing. Shelton didn't pan out because he was on IR, and Going answered the call by producing when needed. My point is that Carolina had a lot of depth at RB last year too and pretty much went through all of it. So one more RB wouldn't necessarily be too much. Sure they might not take one in the first round, but you know they've considered White since Fox has already met with him.

By your logic Houston shouldn't draft Bush either though. They've invested draft picks in Jonathan White and Davis and both, especially Davis have produced when they played.

I have definately considered your point though and I still think it's a possibility they take White.
Wells. Hes a FA.

Wells. Hes a FA.
Houston also drafted Morency last year. I still think someone will trade up with Houston to take Bush. No one will know until draft day.

Wells. Hes a FA.
Sorry, I mean Wells. ESPN.com still shows him as a Texan. Anyway, they could still take him.

I just can't see Mario slipping to #7, but overall I agree with most of the picks. Actually looks real similar to one I have now.

Nice work. :thumbup:

Well, Cutler and Couch are similar in that they are both White and played in the SEC.Couch played in a wide-open shotgun Run-N-Shoot type offense that really masked his weaknesses and allowed him to rack up huge numbers despite a weak arm and not much in the way of football smarts.

Cutler played in a pro-style offense that barely had SEC-level talent, let alone NFL caliber talent, and single-handedly beat a few good teams and took a very good Florida Gators team into OT this past year. Hes got all the great measurables and a ton of natural leadership ability.
I don't seem to remember a lack of football smarts and a weak arm stopping Couch from being the first pick in the draft. Was this really known or even debated before the draft? I seem to remember him being the consensus #1 for similar reasons as Cutler although he was in a much different offense. Maybe they're not so similar but that's the first thing that came to mind when the Cutler hype started.

I just can't see Mario slipping to #7, but overall I agree with most of the picks. Actually looks real similar to one I have now.

Nice work. :thumbup:
Mario probably won't fall to #7 but that's just how it worked out for me. A lot of people rank him above Hawk, but I've got Hawk higher which is why I have him going to GB. The 9ers would probalby go Defense if Hawk or Mario fell to them. But if both the 9ers and Titans go Offense, either Hawk or Mario will fall.

I don't seem to remember a lack of football smarts and a weak arm stopping Couch from being the first pick in the draft. Was this really known or even debated before the draft? I seem to remember him being the consensus #1 for similar reasons as Cutler although he was in a much different offense. Maybe they're not so similar but that's the first thing that came to mind when the Cutler hype started.
Actually, it'd be interesting to read all the pre-draft hype about Couch again to see just how people got it so wrong. I do remember that it was along the lines of "doesn't have the strongest arm, but has great touch" etc.I have to say, though, I really don't think Couch and Cutler are comparable. If you want to make an unflattering comparison for Cutler, maybe Patrick Ramsey, a gun-slinger guy with a strong arm that could do with some seasoning.

1.21 New England - Chad Greenway - Greeway has fallen quite a bit in the last few months so if Bellicheck can get him in shape, they've got another weapon on Defense.
Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Greenway had one bad day at the combine. He had a great week at the senior bowl and an amazing career. He then ran a confirmed 4.58 on a slow track at Iowa City. In shape? Care to explain?

The Eagles might as well take Cutler. With McNabb making enemies and Garthia about done it would be the perfect pick.

I don't think the Eagles are getting it wrong with the WR's, I think the QB has trouble reading a D. Freddie Mitchell and TO agree with me.

With Moats and Westbrook they need a bigger RB later.

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Greenway had one bad day at the combine. He had a great week at the senior bowl and an amazing career. He then ran a confirmed 4.58 on a slow track at Iowa City. In shape? Care to explain?
Sorry that's a bit misleading. I didn't mean to say Greenway was physically out of shape, just that he's been sliding lately due to a poor combine and possibly some other issues. After the bowl games I remember seeing him rated as the number 2 LB and possibly going in the top 10-15. Since then he's dropped to the bottom of the first round in a lot of mocks. I should have said that Bellichek can get the most out of him or something like that. Didn't mean to imply he was out of shape. I did a quick search and didn't find too much but Greenway has definately dropped in a lot of mock drafts and player ratings since the combine.

Well Yeah, if the Colts draft a RB in the first round then what's the point of me hanging on to Dominic Rhodes all these years?
I swear I have been hanging on to Rhodes for YEARS in so many dynasty leagues too!

Draft is pretty good, I think it is interesting you have Mario falling as far as you do and I always like to see things from a different perspective. As a 49er fan I think you really missed out on thier needs in the second round though, No team is in bigger need of Defensive front 7 than the niners and you don't have their top picks going that way, but that is just my thoughts as a homer.

Great read.

Well Yeah, if the Colts draft a RB in the first round then what's the point of me hanging on to Dominic Rhodes all these years?
I swear I have been hanging on to Rhodes for YEARS in so many dynasty leagues too!
I have also been hanging on to him, i hope it will pay off this year.

1.26 Chicago - Santonio Holmes - Like I said, I don't think Holmes will be a #1 WR in the NFL, but Chicago needs a #2 to go with Moose. No other glarring need here for the Bears.

1.30 Indianapolis - D'Qwell Jackson
wtfo??

This is a real nice job, even the 2nd round. And if you told me that one of the "big 5" at the top would drop several spots, I'd bet it would be Williams. Nice.

:thumbup:

Hah... a little touchy are we? I love it when people take themselves and a mock-draft on a message board this serious and personal.I love this pick.

I'm ok with the Greenway pick for the Pats in the first round. I have a problem with Rod Wright being picked with Richard Marshall going the very next pick. If Marshall is there I believe he will be the pick. Rod Wright is not a good fit for the Pats 3-4 D IMO.

1.7 Oakland - Mario Williams - Williams fall ends here. Oakland gets the best player available.

I would be in heaven if they got him.. I am hoping they get him or Hawk.. I think the Raiders need to focus on the defense more. They don't need a RB or a QB. I like Brooks with Walters waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread