What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My newly updated Cardinals mock (4 rounds) (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
Well, this Cardinals mock draft is extremely different than any of my previous mocks due to the recent signings by the Cardinals. Here's an analysis of the team's biggest needs:

1. RB is no longer an area of concern now that the Cardinals have gone out and signed Edgerrin James. This positon will not need to be addressed afterall.

2. DT - Eventhough the Cardinals did not re-sign Russell Davis, they were able to acquire Clancy as a FA. No longer too much of a need with Clancy and Dockett penciled in as their starters.

3. Safety - Adrian Wilson remains one of the NFL's elite safeties, however, the Cardinals may look to add another playmaker on defense to play alongside Wilson. Robert Griffith was decent last season, but another playmaker on this young defense would be ideal.

4. LB- Gerald Hayes and/or James Darling are expected to start at ILB, however Darling has excelled with the Cardinals on the outside, and Hayes hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy throughout his career as a Cardinal. ILB should be addressed via the draft.

5. CB - The Cardinals spent a couple of draft picks on young DBs (Rolle, Green) in last year's draft, however, this position is still in need of servicable back-ups and more depth. After Rolle, Macklin, Green, Tate, the Cardinals really have no one else who can play this position at the NFL level.

O-Line- The Cardinals were able to address some of their needs along the offensive line via free agency. May want to bring someone in via the draft that they can bring along slowly, but would probably be better off addressing this position through free agency

6. QB- The Cardinals deceided to re-sign Kurt Warner, however, with the recent departure of Josh McCown, the Cardinals lack a quality backup. Rohan Davey and John Navarre are the only other 2 QBs that the Cardinals currently have on their roster so they may look to add someone in the draft or later through Free Agency.

7. TE- Remains somewhat of an area of need, however, with Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson as their top 3 WRs, they may be better off bringing in someone who is primary a blocker, rather than another pass catcher.

Here is my latest mock draft:

Round 1: Michael Huff, S, Texas:

Again, now that the Cardinals offense has all of the weapons and pieces that it needs to be among the NFL's most explosive, I think Denny sets out to bring in a playmaker on the other side of the ball in Round 1. Adrian Wilson is among the league's elite at the position, but I would like to see the Cardinals bring in someone who could play alongside him and make plays as well.

Other possibilities: Vince Young, Jimmy Williams, Vernon Davis

Round 2: D'Qwell Jackson , LB, Maryland:

I really think that the focus in the draft is going to be bringing in players who can come in and contribute on the defensive side of the ball, and the LB position is an area that could definetely use some help. Gerald Hayes has shown some potential and ability to make plays in the limited action that he has seen, however his health has been a major question mark throughout his short career as a Cardinal. James Darling could start at this position, but seems much better suited as an outside backer rather than on the inside.

Other possibilities: Ko Simpson, Eric Winston, Nick Mangold, Darnell Bing, Max Jean-Gilles, Taitusi Lutui

Round 3: Dee Webb, CB, Florida:

Cardinals drafted Antrell Rolle and Eric Green last season, however this position remains in need of some quality depth and/or someone who can come in and effectively start or play the nickel, when necessary. Webb could come in and be brought along somewhat slowly and given time to develop, or play special teams.

Other possibilities: Chris Chester, Anthony Smith, Marcus Maxey, Spencer Havner

Round 4: Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green:

Could be a major steal for the Cardinals if he is still available when they go on the clock on Day 2. This guy could have potentially been a First Round pick has he entered the draft just a season ago, but a bad season dramatically hurt this guy's stock, as he is now somewhat of a wild-card in this year's draft. I would have to think that if Jacobs is available here, Denny would not be able to pass on selecting him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 4: Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green:

Could be a major steal for the Cardinals if he is still available when they go on the clock on Day 2. This guy could have potentially been a First Round pick has he entered the draft just a season ago, but a bad season dramatically hurt this guy's stock, as he is now somewhat of a wild-card in this year's draft. I would have to think that if Jacobs is available here, Denny would not be able to pass on selecting him.

Good post, but I don't think Omar falls this far, but your right he is a steal if he does :excited:

The problem I see here for Arizona is whether the Lions take these two players right before the Cardinals pick in both rounds. Both DB and LB are high on the need list for the Lions. If Huff is there and both Hawk and M. Williams, along with Ferguson are gone, it is highly likely that the Lions take Huff. Again, in the second round, Jackson would fit perfectly in Marinelli's Cover 2 and I don't see the Lions passing him. No doubt that both players would be good selections and could make it to the Cardinals, but I don't see the Lions passing on these guys unless the value is too great there for them to pass up another player.

P.S. Any chance that the Cardinals would take Young or Cutler if they fall? If not, Jacobs would be a good choice in round 4, but may be picked earlier as many teams have him as the #4 QB.

The problem I see here for Arizona is whether the Lions take these two players right before the Cardinals pick in both rounds. Both DB and LB are high on the need list for the Lions. If Huff is there and both Hawk and M. Williams, along with Ferguson are gone, it is highly likely that the Lions take Huff. Again, in the second round, Jackson would fit perfectly in Marinelli's Cover 2 and I don't see the Lions passing him. No doubt that both players would be good selections and could make it to the Cardinals, but I don't see the Lions passing on these guys unless the value is too great there for them to pass up another player.

P.S. Any chance that the Cardinals would take Young or Cutler if they fall? If not, Jacobs would be a good choice in round 4, but may be picked earlier as many teams have him as the #4 QB.
With the recent FA signings and re-signing of Kurt Warner, I got a feeling that the Cardinals are going into the '06 draft with a 'win now' approach as far as bringing in guys who can come in and contribute immediately.I really don't see them burning a 1st rounder on a QB, but I could see them going after someone later if they can be had at a good value (Jacobs in Round 4).

The problem I see here for Arizona is whether the Lions take these two players right before the Cardinals pick in both rounds.
I agree especially on Huff. The Lions have a pipeline into Austin and I just do not see Huff dropping past them in the draft. Let's just say I would be shocked if Huff slid past the Lions, given he can play any DB position. Hey, I never thought they would take M. Williams last year so you never know. If he is there, though, it makes sense the Cards take him. Griffith is a tad long in the tooth and the defensive backfield is shallow beyond the starters. Huff adds an extremely versatile player and, suddenly, you have a little depth and plenty of youth.

I like Huff at 10 but believe in the next two rounds they will draft oline with one of the picks.
This very well could be the caseI could see them taking an O-Lineman in Round 3 rather than a CB

If Jacobs or another bargain player isn't available in Round 4, I could potentially see them addressing the O-Line there, if they don't in Round 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo, if Vince Young falls to 10, he is an absolute no brainer for the Cards in that slot and they would spend about 3 seconds thinking about it. Who's their starting QB again??? Warner? They are absolutely looking for a long term answer at QB, and clearly KW is not that. This would be an unbelievable scenario for AZ if Vince falls to them there. He'd take a year to familiarize himself with their system and by yr 2 would hit the ground running. Opening a new stadium no less? To bring in a player of his status? Absolutely. Of course, IF he falls to 10 which isnt likely. Personally, Id love to see it. Young to Fitzgerald would be like Culpepper to Moss for years to come. jmho.

Imo, if Vince Young falls to 10, he is an absolute no brainer for the Cards in that slot and they would spend about 3 seconds thinking about it. Who's their starting QB again??? Warner? They are absolutely looking for a long term answer at QB, and clearly KW is not that. This would be an unbelievable scenario for AZ if Vince falls to them there. He'd take a year to familiarize himself with their system and by yr 2 would hit the ground running. Opening a new stadium no less? To bring in a player of his status? Absolutely. Of course, IF he falls to 10 which isnt likely. Personally, Id love to see it. Young to Fitzgerald would be like Culpepper to Moss for years to come. jmho.
you think he could beat out Bryant Johnson as the #3 WR? ;)

I am calling it now

1.10 Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt University

And watch his dynasty value sky rocket with Fitz and Boldin around :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread