What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NAACP Calls For NFL's Jack Del Rio To Be Fired/Resign After J6 Comments (6/10/22 03:12 PST) (1 Viewer)

Because he had no other choice. Opting out sounds like exercising an option, but he couldn't have stayed with the 49ers if he really wanted to, but that was not the case. It is like if your boss says: 'You can either quit or be fired" - so yes, you did quit but if you didn't you still wouldn't have a job. 

And please don't delete a portion of my posts when you respond to them, because in this case you removed some context and changed the meaning of what I said.
You are being quite verbose especially for a question with a Yes or No answer. Rumor or hearsay doesn’t matter. . The fact is that he opted out of his contract. Anything  after Yes is palaver 

As discussed numerous times, Denver made a low ball offer that required him to forfeit something like 6-8 million that was guaranteed and no one in their right mind would have accepted that deal.
Maybe he wasn’t in his right mind. How much money did he cost himself by not taking the offer?

He could have done that either way, what he couldn't have done was remain with the 49ers as that was not an option. 
So he could have continued his career, but choose not to?  That goes totally against your first statement on the matter.

As discussed numerous times, Denver made a low ball offer that required him to forfeit something like 6-8 million that was guaranteed and no one in their right mind would have accepted that deal.

Eh.  It wasn't a "low ball" offer but it was a reduction based upon the risk of whether he could play at an elite level.  It cost him a lot more, assuming he was still an NFL level QB.  But this proves that he still had opportunities in the NFL. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You are being quite verbose especially for a question with a Yes or No answer. Rumor or hearsay doesn’t matter. . The fact is that he opted out of his contract. Anything  after Yes is palaver 

It is not simply a yes or no answer. And answering it yes or no without explanation would be misleading (like you editing my quote in a prior post).

And It wasn't rumor or hearsay

Straight from the horse's mouth (49er's GM John Lynch):

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/31/john-lynch-49ers-would-have-cut-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out/

John Lynch: 49ers would have cut Kaepernick if he hadn’t opted out

One of the popular narratives regarding Colin Kaepernick’s lingering unemployment is that he has only himself to blame after opting out of his 49ers contract. This flawed assumption overlooks the fact that the 49ers would have cut Kaepernick if he hadn’t opted out.

“HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?!?!?” some of you have said in response. Here’s how. 49ers G.M. John Lynch said so on Wednesday, in a PFT Live interview to be aired later this week.

“Yes,” Lynch said regarding whether Kaepernick would have been cut if he hadn’t opted out, “and we had that conversation with him. So I don’t want to characterize it as he made a decision to leave here. We both sat down and under that current construct of his deal, it was a big number. [Coach] Kyle [Shanahan] had a vision for what he wanted to do, and one thing I think Kyle was very clear and I think Colin appreciated, is that Kyle has an idea of how he’d play with Colin Kaepernick. But he preferred to run the exact offense that he ran in Atlanta last year that was record-breaking in this league. And if you change it for the quarterback, you change it for everybody on that offense.  So he had a great discussion that I think gave Colin clarity, so we moved on. Brian Hoyer was one of the guys we pursued. Once we pursued him, we didn’t see Kaep as a backup that would really fit in that scheme and we communicated that to him. So I think we’ve been very up front with it. But I think that is a fair characterization.  Yes, he was not going to be here under the construct of his contract.  We gave him the option, ‘You can opt out, we can release you, whatever.’ And he chose to opt out, but that was just a formality.”

Eh.  It wasn't a "low ball" offer but it was a reduction based upon the risk of whether he could play at an elite level.  It cost him a lot more, assuming he was still an NFL level QB.  But this proves that he still had opportunities in the NFL. 
And we don’t know what was offered and with what term, I’d be shocked if they weren’t offering something with term.

And we don’t know what was offered and with what term, I’d be shocked if they weren’t offering something with term.

Yes we do. Reading is fundamental. Terms were reported at the time from several sources. Here is one:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/source-kap-not-willing-take-broncos-current-pay-cut-offer#:~:text=The Broncos are offering Kaepernick,Adam Schefter reported on Monday.

Colin Kaepernick is willing to take a pay cut to play for the Denver Broncos, just not one as large as the reigning Super Bowl champions would like.

The Broncos are offering Kaepernick an annual salary of $7 million for the 2016 season and the 2017 season, a source close to the situation told CSNBayArea.com on Tuesday.

Kaepernick and the Broncos have "made progress" on a contract that would run through 2020, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Monday.

But the finances over the first two years are not favorable for Kaepernick. Agreeing to Denver's offer would cost the 28-year-old quarterback $12.4 million in base salary, and potentially as much as $16.2 million, over the next two years. His current contract with the 49ers pays a base salary of $11.9 million for the 2016 season and $14.5 million in 2017.

Even if the 49ers were to release Kaepernick before April 1 of next year, the quarterback could earn up to $14.3 million in 2016 -- more than the $14 million he would earn in two years with Denver.

Squis you have a definite skill to careen off topic 

Like a toddler playing with the box that the toy came in, instead of the actual toy

I was not the first one to bring up Kaerpenick in this thread, (I believe that was ignatiusjreilly on Page 1).

I have just been responding to the lies about Kaep have been repeated once again. So it was not I who have careened off topic. 

I was not the first one to bring up Kaerpenick in this thread, (I believe that was ignatiusjreilly on Page 1).

I have just been responding to the lies about Kaep have been repeated once again. So it was not I who have careened off topic. 

Sure, you just went along for the ride

Barely anyone cares about Kaep.

You have a crush on him  or something?

On topic would be nice.

I'm sure you made another thread for your bro that you can keep posting your opinion

Nah, it was Ivan who first mentioned him, and many others weighed in before I said anything. 

But given that it has now completely sidetracked the thread, I had already decided I would stop posting about him going forward. I assume there’s still a Kaep thread where people can hash this out

Nah, it was Ivan who first mentioned him, and many others weighed in before I said anything. 

But given that it has now completely sidetracked the thread, I had already decided I would stop posting about him going forward. I assume there’s still a Kaep thread where people can hash this out

That figures. I probably missed it buried amidst all the usual...

Which is common with qbs possessing his skill set.  The hits take a toll more on running qbs,   He exceeded expectations in the league.
Sure.  Cam Newton lasted a little longer, but Cam Newton was built like Superman.  Over time it took a toll on even him.  

Yes we do. Reading is fundamental. Terms were reported at the time from several sources. Here is one:

But the finances over the first two years are not favorable for Kaepernick. Agreeing to Denver's offer would cost the 28-year-old quarterback $12.4 million in base salary, and potentially as much as $16.2 million, over the next two years. His current contract with the 49ers pays a base salary of $11.9 million for the 2016 season and $14.5 million in 2017.

Even if the 49ers were to release Kaepernick before April 1 of next year, the quarterback could earn up to $14.3 million in 2016 -- more than the $14 million he would earn in two years with Denver.
Settle down Francis, I had assumed what you posted was accurate, apparently not 

Political goggles are what allow people to convince themselves he couldn't even get a camp invite because he wasn't good enough. 

Laughable
He was good for a short period of time, defenses figured him out.  I wish he could have won the Super Bowl, they fell short.  But in the end, they figured him out pretty quick.  What's laughable is you won't let that be reality.  I'm willing to admit that while I don't agree with him politically, he was really good for the team I root for, for a period of time.  He also was really bad at the end.  There's nothing wrong with that, most athletes don't get to leave on their own terms.  That's just the way it was, sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Settle down Francis, I had assumed what you posted was accurate, apparently not 

My exact words were " to forfeit something like 6-8 million" (I didn't have the exact figures in front of me at that time).

He could have done that either way, what he couldn't have done was remain with the 49ers as that was not an option. 
I know we’ve gotten way off track with all the Kaep talk, however your own link above discusses the reason for that - he didn’t fit the new offense.  If we’re to take shanny at his word for the other stuff you want us to take his word for, then we have to take his word that Kaep wasn’t going to stay in San Fran because he didn’t fit the new offense, not because “his career was taken from him”.  

I know we’ve gotten way off track with all the Kaep talk, however your own link above discusses the reason for that - he didn’t fit the new offense.  If we’re to take shanny at his word for the other stuff you want us to take his word for, then we have to take his word that Kaep wasn’t going to stay in San Fran because he didn’t fit the new offense, not because “his career was taken from him”.  
The problem with the other narrative is that the 49ers kept Eric Reid another season after that and he was kneeling with Kaepernick. He had a QBR in the 40s his last two years with the 49ers, he wasn’t Joe Montana, or even Jeff Garcia. 

Anyway, back on JDR - it’s been all sports radio on the DC area can talk about recently.  This morning a caller to the areas top sports radio station called defending JDR a bit saying he had a point as only one person died on 1/6 while many people were killed in the various riots.  
They not only cut him off, they went directly to commercials when the guy was mid sentence.  Came back after commercials to a totally different topic.  I laughed.  

Deleted his account. 

Look, if Jack wanted to get political, do your thing. Jump in, and give interviews, and make an argument. I support his right to express views as much as Kaepernick.

If he thought he was having an original thought that didn't need much elaboration, by being the 2021 Whataboutism Just Asking Questions Guy, that's hilariously tone deaf. 

I think he just let a bit more of himself out there publicly than he would normally prefer, and now realizes it's not worth it. 

I'm calling on Jack Del Rio to resign because I don't like what he's doing to Chase Young's fantasy value.
Agree here. He's not even an above average coach, regardless of any political views. But if you want a guy that averages 1 playoff win every 12 seasons, then he's that guy. 

You know 6-8 million is not something like 14.3M?
This was the figure I was thinking of at the time before doing a Google search one again:

If he was earning about $7 million per year under the new Broncos contract that would be between the $6-$8 million figure I threw out. 

dozer said:
Ron Rivera on Washington's $100K fine of Jack Del Rio:

"Our organization will not tolerate any equivalency between those who demanded justice in the wake of George Floyd's murder and the actions of those on January 6 who sought to topple our government"

This is exactly why I hate modern leftism with a passion.  The action by the BLM rioters were far worse in property damage and loss of life.  But instead if judging actions on the merits of the action, modern leftist judge on politics and skin color.  It is 100 percent pure bigotry.  In America justice is supposed to be blind.  But today's leftist take off that blindfold and cast jusdgement based solely on politics and not on the actual crime itself.  It is disgustingly prejudicial bigotry.  

This is exactly why I hate modern leftism with a passion.  The action by the BLM rioters were far worse in property damage and loss of life.  But instead if judging actions on the merits of the action, modern leftist judge on politics and skin color.  It is 100 percent pure bigotry.  In America justice is supposed to be blind.  But today's leftist take off that blindfold and cast jusdgement based solely on politics and not on the actual crime itself.  It is disgustingly prejudicial bigotry.  
The problem is that the statement they made basically lumped peaceful protesters in with rioters…as “those that demanded justice”.

Thats bull####, rioters are criminals and celebrating them or giving them cover is disgusting.

But today's leftist take off that blindfold and cast jusdgement based solely on politics and not on the actual crime itself.  It is disgustingly prejudicial bigotry.  

Jon is correct here ( Good to see you back, jon)

There is a clear double standard. I generally don't delve too deeply into "Whataboutism" but in some few select cases, it's the only way to totally encapsulate the double standard. For example, if Hunter Biden's laptop was Donald Trump Jr's laptop, there would be an endless firestorm.

What's more telling is the shock/surprise that the tables can be flipped. For example, if Team Blue was able to kill the filibuster this term, are the Democrats prepared to have that used against them when power changes hands? Dana Perino is the only one to just come right out and say it - Power changes hands eventually, and you can't complain when it's used against you after you changed it for your short term immediate benefit.

Biden weighing in the Chauvin case while it was ongoing was completely unethical. It's indefensible. Chauvin's guilt or innocence is not a factor in that issue. "Well, he was guilty anyway!" doesn't cut it. Is Team Blue prepared to have Ron DeSantis do that, if it's the GOP's interest, in 2024?

Because I don't want that. Because it's unethical and indefensible, no matter who does it.

In 2013, the Democrats cooked down Rule 22 so Obama could fill three judicial seats. Then it came to a head not long after when power changed hands in the Senate and the Merrick Garland fiasco unfolded. I don't agree with what happened to Merrick Garland, having SCOTUS spend close to a year with only 8 Justices limited the Court from it's function. But to say that what happened to Garland came out of nowhere is not political reality.

Let's just be honest about what is going on here. There are many leftist elements that just plain want Conservatives and the Conservative viewpoint silenced at all cost.

I don’t think Del Rio should be fired but his claim or this notion that there have not been any investigations into what happened in Minnesota is false. There have been over 100 federal investigations there.

So, 'he started it!'?

Juvenile

Someone accused me of starting the thread digression which wasn't true. If I didn't refute it, then people like you might keep repeating the false claim that I intentionally careen threads off topic, when in reality, I am just responding to a post or posts made by others.

Someone accused me of starting the thread digression which wasn't true. If I didn't refute it, then people like you might keep repeating the false claim that I intentionally careen threads off topic, when in reality, I am just responding to a post or posts made by others.

You can still careen without being the very first.

So out of touch

Kaep doesn't need your defense, especially in a thread about something else entirely

He was good for a short period of time, defenses figured him out.  I wish he could have won the Super Bowl, they fell short.  But in the end, they figured him out pretty quick.  What's laughable is you won't let that be reality.  I'm willing to admit that while I don't agree with him politically, he was really good for the team I root for, for a period of time.  He also was really bad at the end.  There's nothing wrong with that, most athletes don't get to leave on their own terms.  That's just the way it was, sorry if that hurts your feelings.
One problem that Kaep supporters always have is that they were blind to the overall passing offense numbers that the 49ers had under kaep. They were in the bottom 3 during his years. 

Yes, he was not going to be here under the construct of his contract. We gave him the option: 'You can opt out, we can release you, whatever.' And he chose to opt out, but that was just a formality."

:yes:

Indeed, it was just a formality because he off the team in any event. 

TWEET: Brent Baker XX@XXBrentHBaker

HBO’s XX@XXBillMaher denounces $100,000 fine on Jack Del Rio. “He has a right to be wrong....Fining people for an opinion. I’m not down with that.” Re coach Ron Rivera saying he has constitutional right to voice his opinion, “Don’t pee on my shoe and tell me it’s raining.” #RealTime

8:49 PM · Jun 17, 2022

https://twitter.com/BrentHBaker/status/1538006018877140996

Maher brings up a very critical point here.

Opinions were once not held to relentless purity tests on "correctness" or "right think"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/05/22/mark-cuban-mavericks-donald-sterling-racist-clippers/9427895/

"I know I'm prejudiced, and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways...If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses...You don't ( keep bigotry out of the NBA and other professional sports) there's no law against stupid....I'm the one guy who says don't force the stupid people to be quiet. I want to know who the morons are....." - Mark Cuban on 2014 Donald Sterling racism controversy

I don't think Jack Del Rio is stupid. Nor do I think his comments were stupid. I think they were bad business given the situation. But the NFL, NBA, MLB let that cat out of the bag long ago. You can't enable talk for SOME politics and not others. Stop it all or allow it all.

But a large issue is whom gets to define if a person under public scrutiny is "pure enough" or whose thoughts are "virtuous enough"?

What Mark Cuban points out is none of this is simple and many issues are complex because the overall human condition is complex. You can't live in a world where some woke people demand the right to call Del Rio stupid and racist and he must be fired for intolerance but show no tolerance to the principles of actual free speech.

That's defense of free speech, not a defense of Del Rio. Woke zealot shock troopers apparently can't make that distinction.

The act of trying to make the complex into the very simple is often the act of finding a marketable way to package open tyranny.

Users who are viewing this thread