What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Name your Top Five NFL QB's of All Time (1 Viewer)

1. Dan Marino

2. Johnny Unitas...the fact I have him and Marino 1 and 2 ought to tell you the type of Qbs I like.

3. John Elway

4. Brett Favre

5. Joe Montana/Tom Brady
Favre doesn't belong on this list. He always had a great supporting cast. This year proves that he can't do much without All Pro players around him. At least Warner is doing something this year with less than Favre has to support him.
Favre is in his 15th year...you judge his body of work in his 15th NFL season...his prime was from 94-'03...are there any HoF players on offense that he played with during that time? WR? C'mon now

Best QB is not the same as best passer. 1- Otto Graham2- John Unitas3- Joe Montana4- Jim Kelly 5- John ElwayI very much wanted to include Tarkington and Young, but...

Greatness for an all time list has to be over time. One season does not make you a best ever.
Well, I had him on several FF teams in '99. So that season gets extra weight in my rankings.
i won a championship in FF with Trent Green. Doesnt make him a top 5 all time QB

Best QB is not the same as best passer.

1- Otto Graham

2- John Unitas

3- Joe Montana

4- Jim Kelly

5- John Elway

I very much wanted to include Tarkington and Young, but...
Marino had the quickest release, could throw it on a rope, could complete passes no other QB could have and you dont think he is one of the best QBs of all time?

Any list without Johnny Unitas is wrong
Just going by what I've seen.
Not having seen him play, I can't vote for him.
Then don't reply in a "top five...all-time" thread.How about...

Johnny Unitas

Joe Montana

Otto Graham

Dan Marino

John Elway
Then people really ought to start voting for Sammy Baugh.
One did! :hey: (By the way, if I was voting on best-all time baseball players, I would include Babe Ruth. If Ruth wasn't on my list, then it would be worthless regarding best all-time players. Of course, our lists are worthless anyway, but that's another story...)

Any list without Johnny Unitas is wrong
Just going by what I've seen.
Not having seen him play, I can't vote for him.
Then don't reply in a "top five...all-time" thread.How about...

Johnny Unitas

Joe Montana

Otto Graham

Dan Marino

John Elway
Then people really ought to start voting for Sammy Baugh.
One did! :hey: (By the way, if I was voting on best-all time baseball players, I would include Babe Ruth. If Ruth wasn't on my list, then it would be worthless regarding best all-time players. Of course, our lists are worthless anyway, but that's another story...)
Baseball is more a stats driven sport, so its easier to include players we've never seen play, just based on their stats.

I'm surprised that Manning's name hasn't been mentioned much at all. Here is my top 10 (with more credence given to peak value than for longevity, which is why Manning/Brady are realtively high). Also, I'm only considering players that I saw a large part of their careers of:

1. Dan Marino

2. Peyton Manning

3. Brett Favre

4. John Elway

5. Joe Montana

6. Steve Young

7. Jim Kelly

8. Tom Brady

9. Warren Moon

Ok, I lied...I can't really think of a #10, and whoever it would be I don't think he would belong with the rest of these anyway.

And IMO, Marino is an easy choice at #1.

Best QB is not the same as best passer.

1- Otto Graham

2- John Unitas

3- Joe Montana

4- Jim Kelly

5- John Elway

I very much wanted to include Tarkington and Young, but...
Marino had the quickest release, could throw it on a rope, could complete passes no other QB could have and you dont think he is one of the best QBs of all time?
Marino is one of the best passers of all time, no doubt. But, this is about the best QB. Marino couldn't move, nor could he win a big game after 1985.

I'm surprised that Manning's name hasn't been mentioned much at all. Here is my top 10 (with more credence given to peak value than for longevity, which is why Manning/Brady are realtively high). Also, I'm only considering players that I saw a large part of their careers of:

1. Dan Marino

2. Peyton Manning

3. Brett Favre

4. John Elway

5. Joe Montana

6. Steve Young

7. Jim Kelly

8. Tom Brady

9. Warren Moon

Ok, I lied...I can't really think of a #10, and whoever it would be I don't think he would belong with the rest of these anyway.

DAN FOUTS

1.Jim McMahon

2.Ditka

Thats it.

Actually i just stumbled on a factoid i find interesting:

The Chicago Bears franchise, since the year 1920 has posted 45 games of 300+ yard passing games by its QBs.

Brett Favre, personally has had 44 so far in his career.

Saturday may well be the last game Brett Favre plays against the Chicago Bears. Can he put up 300 yards and declare himself (at least to my twisted mind) better than the entire Bears quarterbacking corp put together since the league began 85 years ago?

I think yes. :bag:

I agree with your facts. Fast and accruate discribes Marino very well. He's certainly a top passer. He's a all-time NFL star. However, passing is not everything. There are other QBing skills considered, too. For that reason, Kelly made my list.,, and Marino/Moon/Fouts did not.

My list:1. Unitas.2. Elway.3. Baugh.4. Montana.5. Tarkenton.Tarkenton made my lisd based on a radio interview w/ Deacon Jones, the HOF DL. Deacon said that Tarkenton was the toughest QB for him to play against because he was extremely difficult to bring down. Based on the words of a tough, old geezer plus his 4 super bowls, I definately think Tarkenton deserves some recognition.Brady is steadily moving up the list, but I'd like to see what he can do w/o the NE defense backing him up. That's the thing about longivity - you get a better understanding of what the dude is all about - can he bounce back from a rough season, etc...Championship caliber play over an extended duration - that's the criteria I use.For the record - as of today, no Manning has played for a superbowl or national championship.

1. Dan Marino

2. Peyton Manning

3. Brett Favre

4. John Elway

5. Joe Montana

6. Steve Young

7. Jim Kelly

8. Tom Brady

9. Warren Moon

DAN FOUTS
I didn't see much of Fouts so I didn't consider him.

1.Jim McMahon

2.Ditka

Thats it.

Actually i just stumbled on a factoid i find interesting:

The Chicago Bears franchise, since the year 1920 has posted 45 games of 300+ yard passing games by its QBs.

Brett Favre, personally has had 44 so far in his career.

Saturday may well be the last game Brett Favre plays against the Chicago Bears. Can he put up 300 yards and declare himself (at least to my twisted mind) better than the entire Bears quarterbacking corp put together since the league began 85 years ago?

I think yes. :bag:
If they allow you to count the return yards on ints, then you might have yourself a lock.

:lmao: The utter lack of knowledge in the football history department being represented in this thread is astounding.

Because you didn't see someone play live you can't evaluate them!? At all!!??

My list:

1. Joe Montana

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Dan Marino

4. Sonny Jurgenson

5. John Elway

The top of any all time QB list should really be log-jammed. The above 5 are very close, and followed just as close by Favre, Tarkenton, Starr, Fouts, Young, Baugh and Blanda, in no particular order.

Flame away.

The utter lack of knowledge in the football history department being represented in this thread is astounding.Because you didn't see someone play live you can't evaluate them!? At all!!??
Did I say I couldn't evaluate him at all? Of course I've seen stats, but I have very little subjective data to go by, so it's unfair to come to a conclusion about him when I have plenty more to go by with other QBs.

1. John Elway2. Joe Montana3. Brett Favre4. Johnny Unitas5. Peyton ManningConsiderations: Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Sammy Baugh, Zito Gambrilli, Dan MarinoOverrated: Joe Namath, Dan Fouts, Tom Brady

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: The utter lack of knowledge in the football history department being represented in this thread is astounding.

Because you didn't see someone play live you can't evaluate them!? At all!!??
Sure you can, but you're using 2nd hand sources, do you use stats, or stories from other people? Neither tells the whole story.

1. Montana--touch, poise, accuracy, mobility, and toughness. He also took a so-so Chiefs unit when he was past his prime and turned them into a serious contender. That's as much of a statement about him as a leader as it is a passer--both important traits for a quarterback. 2. Unitas--called his own plays, performed in an era of football where the quarterback was largely unprotected by the refs (in comparison to the modern era) and still flourished. The ultimate field general. Lacked some mobility but was the consummate pocket quarterback. 3. Elway--This record of comeback wins, passing and rushing yardage is among the best of all time. He was a big-game player that was as close to a one man band on offense as there has ever been in football. Prior to their SB years, name an all-pro receiver or runner on their roster? He also had the opportunity to call his own plays. 4. Otto Graham--not the modern era, but his championship record is above reproach and he was a great all around passer in the pocket or on the move. 5. Tie: Favre/Tarkenton--Both were reckless, both won big games, and did a lot with talent around them for a long time that varied from not so good to very good. They were unique to the game in their individual ways and made their teams perennial championship contenders. HM: Manning--will likely move up the list, but you have to account for the fact he has great weapons around him and he can't top any of these guys when it comes to throwing under heavy pressure. Brady--Such a great start to his career. We'll see how he does over time. Marino, Young, Kelly, Fouts...worth a nod, but...

T1. Montana / Unitas -- I go back and forth

3. Elway

4. Otto Graham

5. Bobby Layne -- Nobody talks about him much even though he's in the HOF.

But hear me out on this one, who else puts this together: QB for the World Champion Detroit Lions

Not just once, but 3 times.

Only one playoff victory in 48 years since he left.

I'm younger, so I won't go before 1980.1. Montana2. Brady3. Manning4. Elway5. Marino6. Young7. Favre8. Moon9. Aikman10. KellyJust missing out: Vick, McNabb, McNair, Simms, Testaverde.Sorry couldn't stop at 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Joe Namath
:lmao: You do realize that Namath threw 173 TDs and 220 INTs during his career, don't you?

From what I've seen -

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. Marino

4. Young

5. Elway
I really want to put Brady ahead of Montana...if NE wins the SB this year, I think he'll be my #1 QB of all time. Montana had Rice; Brady has Branch...enough said.

Why do so many people rate Manning so high? Many here have him above Elway; I don't get it.

He throws a pretty ball, I'll give you that. He works hard, and he audibles alot. He has thrown alot of TD's and his interception #'s are low.

But - How many championship games has he won? How many come from behind victories does he have? How many special moments has he generated, all on his own?

I've often said that great QB's have a ton of special moments. You should be able to remember a QB for his moments, not his #'s. Elway with his comebacks. Marino for that special '84 season, and beating the Bears in '85. Montana - the catch, all of the SB's. Young for his crazy scrambles early in his career. Brady has a TON of special moments, considering his short career thus far. I, for the life of me, can't think of one for Manning. I'm sure they are out there, they just aren't sticking in my head.

I think until he makes a SB appearance, Manning can be considered a good QB, but not a great one.

Note: not all SB QB's are great, but no QB can be great w/o at least playing in the SB at least once. I am in no way trying to say Dilfer is better than Manning.

Why do so many people rate Manning so high? Many here have him above Elway; I don't get it.

He throws a pretty ball, I'll give you that. He works hard, and he audibles alot. He has thrown alot of TD's and his interception #'s are low.

But - How many championship games has he won? How many come from behind victories does he have? How many special moments has he generated, all on his own?

I've often said that great QB's have a ton of special moments. You should be able to remember a QB for his moments, not his #'s. Elway with his comebacks. Marino for that special '84 season, and beating the Bears in '85. Montana - the catch, all of the SB's. Young for his crazy scrambles early in his career. Brady has a TON of special moments, considering his short career thus far. I, for the life of me, can't think of one for Manning. I'm sure they are out there, they just aren't sticking in my head.

I think until he makes a SB appearance, Manning can be considered a good QB, but not a great one.

Note: not all SB QB's are great, but no QB can be great w/o at least playing in the SB at least once. I am in no way trying to say Dilfer is better than Manning.
And it's not just a Super Bowl.Montana, Brady... these guys get better when the pressure is on.

Manning basically turtles up into the fetal position.

Elway didn't win his first Super Bowl until he was 57, and we thought that his time had passed. Manning is entering his prime.

Elway didn't win his first Super Bowl until he was 57, and we thought that his time had passed. Manning is entering his prime.
But Elway did win the AFC championship in his 4th, 5th, and 7th seasons, including one on the road in hostile environments. This is what...season 8 for Peyton?

Tom BradyTom BradyTom BradyJohn ElwayTom BradyPS if you didn't include Brady on your list... you haven't watched football the last five years... or you have Patriots envy

1. Terry Bradshaw

2. Peyton Manning

3. John Elway

4. Akili Smith

5. Cliff Stoudt

4 and 5 were neck and neck
I would have to rank both Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam in the top 5.

ElwayUnitasSlingin' Sammy BaughYoungMontanaBrett Favre and Roger Staubach just baaaaaaarely miss out on the top 5. Really, it's more of a top 7, because you've got those guys, and then it gets tricky. Lots of guys who were all-time greats, but not quite good enough for me to call them "Top Anythings". Dan Marino, who was a compiler. Aikman and Bradshaw, who played on phenominal teams. Warner, who didn't have enough sustained success, but earns his mention the Gale Sayers way. And I just KNOW that I'm missing several big guys here, but I can't at the moment think of who.Before everyone mentions Otto Graham, I didn't forget him. I have a hard time with Graham. On the one hand, he put up the most amazing numbers of any QB in the history of the world, when you compare him to players of his era. The problem I have, though, is he wasn't playing the same game as the QBs of his era. He was the first QB who had an offensive line that pass-blocked differently than they run-blocked (Paul Brown created the concept of a pocket for his Browns, which immediately gave their passing game a RIDICULOUS advantage). Also, Graham played back before the days of zone coverage schemes. And I don't count a lot of his championships. Everyone says Cleveland's success legitimized the AAFC, but that's not true. All they legitimized were the Cleveland Browns. It'd be like if Indy played college ball in the Big East and then came to the NFL and won the superbowl. That doesn't mean that their championships in the Big East meant anything, because they're the only team from there that could compete in the NFL. Anyway, Graham's one of those all-time greats, but I can't in good conscience put him on the "Top Anything" lists.Oh, and yes, I really DID put Steve Young ahead of Joe Montana. He had a shorter career, but no QB has EVER been as dominant as Steve Young, and that includes Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, and Peyton Manning during their MVP Orgy years.Tom Brady isn't anywhere NEAR ready to make an appearance even in the honorable mention list. He won 3 SBs while, not coincidentally, playing QB for the best team in the entire league. He won 2 SB MVP awards that he absolutely didn't deserve (especially the first one, where he had a grand total of 150 yards passing). And, until last season, he really was a solid but not spectacular QB. Over the past 2 seasons, he's been one of the two best QBs in the entire NFL, along with Peyton Manning, so I'm not a Brady Hater. It's just that he really wasn't all that and a bag of potato chips in his first 3 seasons as a starter.Oh, and Peyton Manning is VERY close to making the honorable mention list. He has a very long and distinguished career, has been dominant at Favre/Warner/Young levels for 3 straight seasons now, and that whole "can't win the big one" thing is a joke. Peyton Manning's TEAM loses to better TEAMS. Outside of the 3-INT game by Law in the Muggingbowl, Manning hasn't played that horribly against the Pats- it's just that nobody else on his entire team has stepped up their play. Brady has benefitted from a 4-Int day be his defense when facing Manning. Manning never has benefitted from a 4-Int day against Brady, despite the fact that Brady has had 4-Int days. Does anyone really believe that if the Indy defense had come up with 4 INTs against New England, Indy still would have lost?

I have been watching the NFL since the mid 80's, so I am only going to rank QB's I have seen actually play. 1. John Elway2. Steve Young3. Joe Montana4. Tom Brady5. Dan Marino

It's a shame that Brett Favre's lagacy has been tarnished by this season. Coming into the year, I'd bet that he was much higher on most lists.

It's a shame that Brett Favre's lagacy has been tarnished by this season. Coming into the year, I'd bet that he was much higher on most lists.
One way to find out. Run a search, since there were plenty of "top 5 QBs of all time" threads coming into this season, too. I suspect you'll find that the general consensus now is pretty much the same as the general consensus then, with maybe a little bit more unwarranted Brady Manlove going on right now.I will say this for Brett Favre. There have been QBs with stronger arms, although not many. There have been QBs with better accuracy, but not many. There have not been QBs with a better combination of strength and accuracy. I've never seen anyone who was so good at throwing rockets 40 yards downfield and hitting his man in stride. If he had better decision making skills, a little bit more mobility, and some more sustained success in the postseason, he'd crack my top 5 easily. As it is, he'll simply have to live with only being top 7. I wonder how he's going to sleep at night knowing some guy on a message board thinks that Roger Staubach was a better QB.

My list, in no particular order:Joe MontanaDan MarinoJohn ElwayBret Farv-ruhDoug WilliamsAikman, Cunningham, Namath, Young, and Bradshaw round out the top ten.

Why do so many people rate Manning so high?  Many here have him above Elway; I don't get it.

He throws a pretty ball, I'll give you that.  He works hard, and he audibles alot.  He has thrown alot of TD's and his interception #'s are low.

But - How many championship games has he won?  How many come from behind victories does he have?  How many special moments has he generated, all on his own?
Can you envision Manning running for a first down when he's in his late thirties, realizing he won't make it and subsequently hurtling his body in the air only to be hit by two defenders and endure a 360 helicopter spin in the air because that's what it took to give his team a chance to win the game? This is why John Elway is in the top 5 and Manning isn't(although he may one day be).My top 5

1. Montana - Great poise, very accurate. Won many superbowls and even before Rice showed up.

2. Elway - Great heart, unlimited determination.

3. Unitas - Best of the "old" QB's

4. Marino - holds all the records, sure it may have been stat-piling, but can't argue with his records.

5. Young - Started the running QB trend, yet still could chuck the pigskin. Great leader

HM: Favre/Tarkenton - these guys were similar QB's with similar success. If either of them had better decision-making skills, they've easily be No. 1.

Guys like Brady and Manning will probably be here when their career is done with, but they have some work to do still. Right now my top ten would probably include Staubach, Moon, and Sammy Baugh.

Users who are viewing this thread