What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nashville help/tips (1 Viewer)

playin4beer

Footballguy
Always get the best advice from this board, so here we go again!!..

Headed down to Gatlinburg, TN tomorrow a.m. with the in-laws. BIL got married there two years ago and we all stayed together in one of those huge log cabins..

Had a good time, so we are headed back down to do pretty much the same thing minus the wedding :) Don't really need advice on Gatlinburg, been there a

few times, pretty much know what we are doing... We are leaving Gatlinburg Wednesday morning and were planning on driving to Nashville, staying there Wednesday

night and then driving home Thursday...

Need some advice on what areas I should be looking at for a hotel in Nashville and some tips on what we should look at doing.. only there one night.

I have four daughters, oldest is 15 and would like to go on a "tour" to see some of the country stars homes..

GO!

Headed down to Gatlinburg, TN tomorrow a.m. with the in-laws. BIL got married there two years ago and we all stayed together in one of those huge log cabins..

Had a good time, so we are headed back down to do pretty much the same thing minus the wedding :) Don't really need advice on Gatlinburg, been there a

few times, pretty much know what we are doing... We are leaving Gatlinburg Wednesday morning and were planning on driving to Nashville, staying there Wednesday

Need some advice on what areas I should be looking at for a hotel in Nashville and some tips on what we should look at doing.. only there one night.

I have four daughters, oldest is 15 and would like to go on a "tour" to see some of the country stars homes..

GO!
I'd find a hotel near Opry Mills/Grand Ol Opry and do the country thing if you have one night.

http://www.nowplayingnashville.com/search/results/keyword/1/events/date/up/none/none/none/2013-06-26/2013-06-26

There is a list of live music for that night.

If she really wants to tour country homes, there are a few tours you can take although I've never done it or actually known anyone who has

http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/NashvilleTN/activity/HomesoftheStarsTourTransportation.cfm

Downtown Nashville is pretty fun. Hard Rock Cafe, walking on broadway and 2nd avenue.

Thanks!

Booked a hotel near the Grand Ole Opry...

Looks like me and my 15 year old daughter might check it out that night...

shader said:
playin4beer said:

GO!
I'd find a hotel near Opry Mills/Grand Ol Opry and do the country thing if you have one night.

http://www.nowplayingnashville.com/search/results/keyword/1/events/date/up/none/none/none/2013-06-26/2013-06-26

If she really wants to tour country homes, there are a few tours you can take although I've never done it or actually known anyone who has

http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/NashvilleTN/activity/HomesoftheStarsTourTransportation.cfm

Downtown Nashville is pretty fun. Hard Rock Cafe, walking on broadway and 2nd avenue.
If you have 1 night to "do Nashville", this is what you do. Pretty much all the good live music places right there next to each other. Pretty sure you can bring in a 15 year old to any of them. Just walk in, order a drink and see if you like who is playing there. If not, walk next door. :shrug:

shader said:
playin4beer said:

GO!

If you have 1 night to "do Nashville", this is what you do. Pretty much all the good live music places right there next to each other. Pretty sure you can bring in a 15 year old to any of them. Just walk in, order a drink and see if you like who is playing there. If not, walk next door. :shrug:
This. Great city

shader said:
playin4beer said:

GO!

Exactly. There are so many good bands playing at the same time on Broadway that you really shouldn't do much else. In one night you can hear a lot of great country music, rockabilly, blues, and rock. It's pretty incredible.

We stayed at the Hilton Nashville Downtown. Right there in the action. Grand Ol Opry is too far away imo. Worth a visit though.

shader said:
playin4beer said:

GO!

:goodposting:

I don't even like country music but had a blast walking around and found a new appreciation for the music. Great city!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask a Question of you Nashville folks? For my 50th birthday next week, my wife and I are going to Nashville to see Bob Dylan play at Riverfront Park. I can't find any details on the venue anywhere. I am trying to figure out logistics, like if they allow lawn chairs, or are there already seats or is it just a grass field. Can anybody point me to where I can find out the answers? They don't seem to promote the park as a concert venue, only as a park, so there is no info on line that I can find.

Any good restaurant recommendations?

Riverfront Park is just a grass area, at least it was when I went to CMA fest. Chairs would be bring your own. May be wrong though if it's a different setup than CMA fest.

If I had one day in Nashville I'd stay near Broadway. Hilton Suites, Doubletree, whatever. Country Music Hall of Fame is connected to the Hilton. All the famous places on Broadway + Printer's Alley just steps away. Lots of restaurants, from chains (Joe's Crab Shack) to others (I ate at Merchant's on Broadway - liked it). Riverfront Park is right there as well.

Riverfront Park is just a grass area, at least it was when I went to CMA fest. Chairs would be bring your own. May be wrong though if it's a different setup than CMA fest.

If I had one day in Nashville I'd stay near Broadway. Hilton Suites, Doubletree, whatever. Country Music Hall of Fame is connected to the Hilton. All the famous places on Broadway + Printer's Alley just steps away. Lots of restaurants, from chains (Joe's Crab Shack) to others (I ate at Merchant's on Broadway - liked it). Riverfront Park is right there as well.
yep. Really nice hotel steps from everything. Ate at Mechants too.

Also, breakfast at Loveless Café was worth the wait, imo.

If you're staying away from downtown, which it sounds like you are if you've got a hotel near Opry Mills, park on Gay street. They turn the meters off at night, so free parking. Will save you ~$10-15, and it's right off 2nd.

For Food:

Sam's Sushi - If you like sushi this place is a must. I probably go twice a week for lunch. It's at the entrance to Printer's Alley, real small shop, easily missed. The guy (Sam) has been running this place for ~15 years, is incredibly grumpy, but makes ridiculously good sushi for cheap. Combo A cost $6.50 includes two rolls and a drink. It's kinda like Soup Nazi from Seinfield though, IE, don't talk to him unless you're ordering. You gotta know what you want when he comes to your table, or he'll skip you and you have to wait another ~5-10 minutes. He takes one order then goes and makes it fresh. Don't try to tip him. He'll yell and throw you out for insulting him, because apparently you're implying he doesn't make enough money, I dunno. And he closes whenever he feels like he made enough money for the day, but if you go around 11:00 you'll be fine.

Rock Bottom Brewery - Formally Big River. It's on the corner of Broad/2nd, has a patio and is a really good micro brewery. Order the sample. You'll get ~6-8 beers depending on what their seasonals are.

Rippys BBQ - Decent BBQ, I don't get the obsession, I think it's overpriced but everyone loves it.

Farmer's Market on Rosa Park. It's near the Bicentennial, which is a pretty neat spot to check out if you're into history stuff. You can walk down the TN timeline, as well as a giant map with sprinklers that shows various river excursions as TN was founded. There's a BBQ place within the Markert that has incredible smoked salmon. It's not on the menu, just ask for it. Well worth the trip. There's also ~8 local joints within so everyone in the family can choose what they want to eat.

Blackstone is pretty good if you feel like going out to West End. Another good micro brewery, with a decent steak selection.

Entertainment:

During the day, check out the historical section off Rosa Park blvd if you're into that thing. It's pretty neat trip. Take Church st, which turns into West End, there's a park called Centennial Park which is awesome. Always singers out there, check out the Parthenon which is in Centennial Park, great family trip. Both TGIF and Blackstone are near by with patios that you can sit and have a beer for lunch then go hit the park.

Just walking down Broadway during the day is pretty awesome, but at night is when it really "comes alive". If you're taking your 15 year old out, definitely hit Wild Horse Saloon, on 2nd. They have great live music, and employees that will teach your daughter line dances for every song they do. It's a great first stop.

Go visit the Ryman if you've never been. It's on 4th past Broadway.

Avoid Paradise Park. It's gross, and the floor is always sticky. The beer seems warm, it's more of a ~21 y/o point, as their highlight is PBR pitchers for $5.

Big Bang is a lot of fun, but not sure if your daughter can get in at 15. It's a dueling piano bar, but the musicians are incredible.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more things and I'll be sure to post em, if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks for all the tips/help...

Unfortunately, with only one night, we couldn't do a lot. We ended up staying near the Grand Ole Opry instead of downtown. I think it worked out better because me and my

15 year old daughter had tickets to the Opry and my wife and other three daughters shopped at Opry Mills and used the pool at the hotel.

If it had been just me and the wife or other adults, downtown would have been fantastic, we drove through it the next day. I just couldn't imagine trying to corral three

kids 11 and under up and down that street.

That being said, my daughter loved the Opry.. ended up buying the backstage tour tickets and that was pretty cool too.

Thanks again..

Headed to Nashville tomorrow morning for a few days for busines. Staying at the Renaissance hotel downtown. Where is a good place near there with free wifi to go to watch all the Sunday Football games (preferably walking distance)?

Tks...

not sure who has free wifi...you have baileys down there that will have all the games...several other bars along that strip will have tvs with games on...down on broadway and to 2nd ave.

I've asked a friend but no reply yet - here's what I found online. I've only been to the old Eddie George's place at the Hilton.

Beyond the Edge
Byrd says: One of the only sports bars hip enough to reside on the east side.
112 S. 11th St., (615) 226-3343; beyondtheedge.net

Broadway Brewhouse & Mojo Grill
Byrd says: Get here early to get a seat on game days. This place was made for day-drinkers.
What to drink: The Bushwacker.
1900 Broadway, (615) 340-0089
317 Broadway, (615) 271-2838;
broadwaybrewhouse.net

Corner Pub
Byrd says: So collegiate it should have its own Greek letters.
4109 Hillsboro Circle, (615) 298-9698
2000 Broadway, (615) 327-9250
4136 North Mt. Juliet Rd., Mt. Juliet, (615) 754-2782
8058 Highway 100, (615) 866-9919
cornerpubtn.com

Rebar
Byrd says: Where the players play. You can catch the big game and then get in on a game of darts, skeeball, or shuffleboard.
Best seat in the house: On warmer days, the patio has ample seating to people-watch over most of Midtown.
1919 Division St., (615) 891-1133; rebarnashville.com

Riverfront Tavern
Byrd says: Close enough to LP Field to hear the touchdown fireworks before seeing them on your screen.
101 Church St., (615) 252-4849; riverfronttavern.com

Sam’s All American Sports Bar
Byrd says: Where the bartenders are dressed as referees but rarely flag you for your drinking.
Best seat in the house: Tuck in by the bar to the left (by the kitchen) for the least traffic, quickest service, and your choice of dozens of televisions within viewing distance.
1803 21st Avenue S., (615) 383-3601; samssportsgrill.com

Sportsman’s Grille
Byrd says: The jukebox upstairs at the Midtown location is one of the best in town and at any of them, there are plenty of pool tables to work out your cue.
1640 WestGate Circle, Brentwood, (615) 373-1070
1601 21st Avenue S., (615) 320-1633
5405 Harding Rd., (615) 356-6206
sportsmansgrille.com

The Crow’s Nest
Byrd says: Head here when you want to rendezvous with your fantasy football league. There’s plenty of space for the whole team.
2221 Bandywood Dr., 615-783-0720; crowsnestnashville.com
- See more at: http://www.nashvillelifestyles.com/restaurants/nashvilles-best-sports-bars#sthash.VnPQNrXX.dpuf

Only drove thru Nashville and stopped for lunch. Real dive called Arnold's. Holy #### one of the best meals I've ever had. Southern style food I guess? Really awesome.

Really no reason to live here unless you're in the music bbusiness or you have family here. Cold as hell and no snow in winter. Miserable humidity in summer. :X

Really no reason to live here unless you're in the music bbusiness or you have family here. Cold as hell and no snow in winter. Miserable humidity in summer. :X
Is it really that cold? I live in MA right now but might be able to relocate to Nashville next year. I hate the winters here.

Is it really that cold? I live in MA right now but might be able to relocate to Nashville next year. I hate the winters here.
Currently a balmy 18.

Music business, tourism, and healthcare, these are the things Nashville is made of. Currently not in any of them, looking to get out in the next year or so to warmer climate. Hopefully out west.

Nowhere near as cold as MA. If you're sick of snow, but still like cool weather and hiking, this is a nice place. Plenty of lakes and countryside. Humid as hell in the summer. I get sick of cold weather with no real outdoor activities. Spring and fall are nice. ####load of mosquitos in summer. Very affordable living, too.

Eta: I work in health care.

Depends on your view on cold. If you're from the northeast or Michigan, it's not that cold. Still too cold to do a lot outside and no skiing or similar activities anywhere nearby.

Depends on your view on cold. If you're from the northeast or Michigan, it's not that cold. Still too cold to do a lot outside and no skiing or similar activities anywhere nearby.
No, it's really not. This has been a tough winter, but this is not the norm. In fact yesterday we played tennis, it was low 60's.

No, it's really not. This has been a tough winter, but this is not the norm. In fact yesterday we played tennis, it was low 60's.
I grew up here and have lived here most of my life. I think I know. The days of upper 50s and 60s are random at best. There's not a lot of people out playing tennis around here in January. This winter has been especially harsh, but it's an in between type area. If you like winter activities or jeans and a t-shirt, it's not for you. If you still like the cool winters but not too harsh and nice springs and falls, you're good. Again, it depends on your view of cold. This is nothing if you're used to Boston andtons of snow. Just my opinion...

Grew up in Wisconsin have lived near Nashville for 20 years. I know the difference and I've only been through 2 "bad" winters here. And I did play tennis yesterday (also washed the car). I've grill out in shorts throughout our "winters". You're right about random part as it's 16 degrees out right now and supposed to get into the single digits the next couple of days. But this is not the norm.

Nashville is cold? Maybe if you grew up in Florida, California or Texas. Sure it's cold in the winter, like most of the country. And yes, it's hot in the summer, like most of the country. But I'd say it's a decent balance. You can usually count on one hand the number of times it drops below 20 in a winter. (not this winter, but this is extremely rare). And the summer is hot, but I'd say the majority of the US faces hot summers.

It has been unusually cold this winter, and definitely more wind then I remember, but I've still golfed three times since New years, so it hasn't been that bad.

Hit broadway Friday night and there was definitely less people out then normal, good for getting home after work though.

Its coldish sometimes.

Then warm 2 days later.

We had a few really cold days...then Monday it was like 58 degrees and beautiful. Back to single digit wind chills yesterday.

Cold for here...but people elsewhere will laugh calling that cold.

Grew up in Wisconsin have lived near Nashville for 20 years. I know the difference and I've only been through 2 "bad" winters here. And I did play tennis yesterday (also washed the car). I've grill out in shorts throughout our "winters". You're right about random part as it's 16 degrees out right now and supposed to get into the single digits the next couple of days. But this is not the norm.
Yeah, the 50s and 60s are probably less random than the single digit crap we have been getting sometimes this year.

Similar to you. Grew up in Wisconsin and been in Nashville since 98.

TN summers are pretty humid. Probably not LA humid, but they were rough.

I remember growing up and being shocked when it was cold enough to have to dress warmly. Half the time in winter it was too warm to hunt enjoyably.

Lived in Nashville for a year while I was working on the structural steel for their new Convention Center.

For the most part, the food offerings on Broadway aren't very good. It is very touristy, and you aren't going for the food, you are going for the music, which is excellent. Strolling Broadway and going band to band with drinks is great.

For food, I highly recommend the Whiskey Kitchen. Amazing Fried Green Tomato BLT and Fried Pickles, but you can't go wrong with anything on the menu if that doesn't appeal to you.

http://mstreetnashville.com/restaurants/whiskey-kitchen

For good Southern Fare, go to Arnolds, which was featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. It falls under the Dive category, but is worth the walk over there for lunch.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/arnolds-country-kitchen-Nashville

For the best BBQ of your life, take a 10 minute drive South to Brentwood, where you will find Judge Beans BBQ. VERY worth the drive. The sausage is fantastic.

http://www.judgebeans.com/

A great date with the wife and probably my most authentic Nashville experience included a trip to the Bluebird Café. It is the one that is featured on the show Nashville. You go there for live music, where the writers perform their own work.

You can get tickets when they go on sale on Tuesdays at 8 AM. You have to be quick, as they sell out within about an hour every week. VERY worth it, I consider it a can't miss if you can get in. Not kid friendly.

http://www.bluebirdcafe.com/

The Grand Ole Opry is cool and all, but again it is what all the mainstream tourists do. Worth a visit, but if you want a much more authentic experience, get into the Bluebird.

For a cool trip outside of the city (10 minutes west or so), try Belle Meade Plantation. It is basically where the Adam (as in Adam and Eve) of all racehorses was raised.

http://bellemeadeplantation.com/

Another nice visit are the Cheekwood Gardens. Great day trip for Nashville if you go to Broadway at night. Very beautiful. Founded by the Maxwell House family.

http://www.cheekwood.org/

Take a drive along Natchez Trace Parkway -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace_Parkway

I'll post some more as I think of them, but that is the best I got ATM - Enjoy!

Turk

I want to retire in Tenn (no further than 1 hour from Nashville), lake front property a must, any suggestions?
Tim's ford lake is a great area. My friend's parents have a lakehouse there and it's perfect. A bunch of rich weekend homes so the lake is abandoned during the week, perfect for boat activities.

Users who are viewing this thread