What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYJ OC Nathaniel Hackett - New Frontiers In NFL Nepotism (1 Viewer)

I can understand nepotism in some instances - Shanahan is proving his worth. Wade Phillips was a great D Coordinator. But there others that make me scratch my head. Paul Hacket was 33-39 as a college coach at Pitt and USC. His OC stints were largely ineffectual. But his young son is a whizz kidz deserving of a HC job in the NFL? He's got some work to do to overcome a horrendous first impression.

@rockaction you want an egregious example of nepotism in sports? Check out the University of Iowa and their offensive (offensive) coordinator. Kirk Ferentz's son has been the OC for a few years now and, well, it's not going very well. He's been accused of racism (was buddy buddy with the strength coach who was fired for racism, only to get scooped up by Urban at Jax before the world pointed out how foolish that was and fired him), threatened to break down the door of a replay official's door and has generated about as much of an offense as I could. Iowa's longest play on Saturday against their rival was 15 yards. They have been one of the worst offensive football teams the last 3 years. And yet, Master Ferentz keeps his job.

Nepotism, it's fannnnnnnntastic!

I can understand nepotism in some instances - Shanahan is proving his worth. Wade Phillips was a great D Coordinator. But there others that make me scratch my head. Paul Hacket was 33-39 as a college coach at Pitt and USC. His OC stints were largely ineffectual. But his young son is a whizz kidz deserving of a HC job in the NFL? He's got some work to do to overcome a horrendous first impression.

@rockaction you want an egregious example of nepotism in sports? Check out the University of Iowa and their offensive (offensive) coordinator. Kirk Ferentz's son has been the OC for a few years now and, well, it's not going very well. He's been accused of racism (was buddy buddy with the strength coach who was fired for racism, only to get scooped up by Urban at Jax before the world pointed out how foolish that was and fired him), threatened to break down the door of a replay official's door and has generated about as much of an offense as I could. Iowa's longest play on Saturday against their rival was 15 yards. They have been one of the worst offensive football teams the last 3 years. And yet, Master Ferentz keeps his job.

Iowa has 1 TD so far in 8 quarters.

Iowa has 1 TD so far in 8 quarters.

Oh, I'm aware. Bet the under every week.

Watching the replay now. Q4, under 2 to play. J. Williams picks up a first down but instead of going out of bounds, he fights for more yards. Bad decision. Clock running.

Next play, under pressure Wilson pitches the ball to Williams - 4 yard loss. Should have thrown it away. Clock running.

2-14 Russ runs it, no gain. Horrible decision. Seattle calls TO.

3-14 short pass Williams, gain of 9, clock running.

Clock running, Denver 3 TO left.

That's a mental breakdown by a young RB, veteran QB and a rookie coach. All 3 share blame but the coach kicking it from 64? Horrendous.

Paul Hackett certainly helped open some doors early on for Nathaniel but dude has been coaching for 21 years now. He's not the HC of the Denver Broncos because of his father.

He's the HC of the Denver Broncos because Aaron Rodgers is a cheat code.

Paul Hackett certainly helped open some doors early on for Nathaniel but dude has been coaching for 21 years now. He's not the HC of the Denver Broncos because of his father.

Yep. As I said elsewhere, this will probably end as well as Joe Philbin in Miami.

I didn’t watch the game

There were blunders and poor clock management throughout but Denver decided to burn as much clock as possible around the 50 yard line when there was 2-3 minutes left and opted to try a kick from about 60-65 yards and McManus is something like 0 for 7 according to the TV graphic I saw flashed. It was a pathetic decision and did not feel like an actual decision was being made...it felt like the person who waits at your Redraft until there is 2 seconds left on the Draft Clock and grabs a Kicker in the middle of the 5th Round because they couldn't decide

Deer in Headlights and I've watched a lot of games where coaches are terrible at managing the clock but this looked like someone who forgot to study for the quiz and was trying to copy off their neighbor.

I didn’t watch the game

There were blunders and poor clock management throughout but Denver decided to burn as much clock as possible around the 50 yard line when there was 2-3 minutes left and opted to try a kick from about 60-65 yards and McManus is something like 0 for 7 according to the TV graphic I saw flashed. It was a pathetic decision and did not feel like an actual decision was being made...it felt like the person who waits at your Redraft until there is 2 seconds left on the Draft Clock and grabs a Kicker in the middle of the 5th Round because they couldn't decide

Deer in Headlights and I've watched a lot of games where coaches are terrible at managing the clock but this looked like someone who forgot to study for the quiz and was trying to copy off their neighbor.
Unfortunately his neighbors were Ray Handley and Hue Jackson.

Yep. As I said elsewhere, this will probably end as well as Joe Philbin in Miami.
Still waiting for that special Committee Ross talked about after BullyGate

The initial members of the committee named Monday night are: Tony Dungy, Don Shula, Dan Marino, Jason Taylor and Curtis Martin.

Still waiting for that special Committee Ross talked about after BullyGate

The initial members of the committee named Monday night are: Tony Dungy, Don Shula, Dan Marino, Jason Taylor and Curtis Martin.

We should form a committee to look into this.

Watching the replay now. Q4, under 2 to play. J. Williams picks up a first down but instead of going out of bounds, he fights for more yards. Bad decision. Clock running.

Next play, under pressure Wilson pitches the ball to Williams - 4 yard loss. Should have thrown it away. Clock running.

2-14 Russ runs it, no gain. Horrible decision. Seattle calls TO.

3-14 short pass Williams, gain of 9, clock running.

Clock running, Denver 3 TO left.

That's a mental breakdown by a young RB, veteran QB and a rookie coach. All 3 share blame but the coach kicking it from 64? Horrendous.
I'm pretty sure JWill and Russ were told to keep the clock running during that drive, which is why they all stayed in bounds. 100% coaching.

My analogy for Hacketts decision to kick is this. You have pick 7 in your fantasy draft and are determined to take Dalvin Cook. Shockingly J Taylor falls to you but you still pick Cook because that’s what your focused on. you never considered that Taylor may fall. I think Hackett was thinking get as close to the 40 as possible and kick. He obviously didn’t consider his options when they only got to the 45. At least call a time out and think about it.
Not only did he call a timeout, Pete Carroll also called a timeout. So he had TWO timeouts to think about it and he still kicked it.
Don't forget he also got to watch McManus miss badly on Pete Carroll's time out.
Weird. No clue when they don't take a timeout there then and discuss it.

I think he missed a big chance for a big intangible win by putting the game on Wilson's shoulders. Even if Wilson fails, in the press conference the coach can say "we believe we have one the best QBs and winners in this league. I put the game in his hands 10/10 times. What else would you have wanted me to do? Burn more than half a minute and try the longest FG in NFL history?"
I'm pretty sure that if he had gone for it, nobody would have even asked if he thought about kicking a fg instead.

That's how bad of a decision it was.

No, not the nepotism you usually think of, but the kind where your father gets you a leg up on the others because he's established in the industry.

Truly a wonder this guy was ever given the keys to a team.

Just stunning. Fire him. This is like when that guy called a draw play for the Browns on fourth and thirteen. Freddy Kitchens. Who still had a job in the NFL as of last year.
Maybe they could bring on Brian Schottenheimer instead.

I’ve noticed there hasn’t been a single mention of John Elway in this thread. But some of this has to fall on him right?
Elway is basically a figurehead role at this point. George Paton is the GM who led the hiring process that led to Hackett.

Nathaniel Hackett on his decision to kick the field goal instead of go for it on 4th-and-5: "Looking back at it, we DEFINITELY should have gone for it"

Twitter

At least he admits, not running from the mistake or doubling down.

Nathaniel Hackett on his decision to kick the field goal instead of go for it on 4th-and-5: "Looking back at it, we DEFINITELY should have gone for it"

Twitter

Yep, gained a tiny bit of respect for him for that.

Disclaimer: I think kicking the FG was as dumb as you all do.

That said, clock management was NOT an issue on the final drive. Down by 1, Williams goes down with over a minute left at the Sea 46 with all 3 TOs left. The clock is absolutely not a problem for them here and had no bearing on forcing Hackett into his decision. The down and distance forced his (admittedly horrible) decision. Once he makes the decision to kick, they should of course run the clock down like they did, acting as if they would run a play. But that play was never happening. If McManus hits the miracle, you want Carroll to have 15 seconds left and 1 TO. Or no TOs if decides to "ice" the kicker like he did.

Disclaimer: I think kicking the FG was as dumb as you all do.

That said, clock management was NOT an issue on the final drive. Down by 1, Williams goes down with over a minute left at the Sea 46 with all 3 TOs left. The clock is absolutely not a problem for them here and had no bearing on forcing Hackett into his decision. The down and distance forced his (admittedly horrible) decision. Once he makes the decision to kick, they should of course run the clock down like they did, acting as if they would run a play. But that play was never happening. If McManus hits the miracle, you want Carroll to have 15 seconds left and 1 TO. Or no TOs if decides to "ice" the kicker like he did.

That 2nd down shovel pass by Wilson was a horrendous decision. A veteran QB making that much money should know better than to do that. He needs some blame here too.

this could get more entertaining as the season unfolds
Not for Bronco fans! :crying: He is just a pup, hopefully he learns and this swiftly fades into a battle scar. Then again, it did not all come down to one call, the offense's showing was not very encouraging at all.
I thought the offense looked fine. Two turnovers at the goal line is never good, but if Broncos converted those instead of fumbling, they would have put up 30.

The first fumble - ugh, Me Go has a history of dropping the ball in high leverage situations. I mean, it's good that Hackett have him another chance, but at some point, we have to learn to not trust MeGo on the goal line.

The second - the guard didn't hear the audible to run. **** happens when it's loud sometimes.

Asides those two plays (how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?), Broncos had 330 yards passing, 103 rushing, no interceptions. Not awful for a first game for coaches, coordinators, QB, on the road vs a juiced up fan base.

Not for Bronco fans! :crying: He is just a pup, hopefully he learns and this swiftly fades into a battle scar. Then again, it did not all come down to one call, the offense's showing was not very encouraging at all.
I thought the offense looked fine. Two turnovers at the goal line is never good, but if Broncos converted those instead of fumbling, they would have put up 30.

The first fumble - ugh, Me Go has a history of dropping the ball in high leverage situations. I mean, it's good that Hackett have him another chance, but at some point, we have to learn to not trust MeGo on the goal line.

The second - the guard didn't hear the audible to run. **** happens when it's loud sometimes.

Asides those two plays (how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?), Broncos had 330 yards passing, 103 rushing, no interceptions. Not awful for a first game for coaches, coordinators, QB, on the road vs a juiced up fan base.
The Melvin Gordon fumble was on fourth down. He was going down - his only option was to reach the ball out. Had he not fumbled it would have been Seattles ball anyway.

The Melvin Gordon fumble was on fourth down. He was going down - his only option was to reach the ball out. Had he not fumbled it would have been Seattles ball anyway.
Well, sure. Personally, I thought it was a bogus call - he had as much control of the ball when he crossed the goal line as David Tyree had in XLII (but I'm a tad bit biased so take that for what it's worth).

Regardless, it's a game of inches. Had Broncos actually been able to score both times they had the ball on the 1, they put up 30 points. for reference, the Broncos scored 30 or more points just 10 times since Manning retired.

The offense was fine. The play calling was fine. The only problem was electing to kick in that spot.

The offense was fine. The play calling was fine. The only problem was electing to kick in that spot.
I mean I'm not sure I'd say 'fine', but I get your point. They could have easily put up 30.

But they also could have gone for it on 4th and 5 and gotten stuffed, in which case would you say their offense and play calling was all good that game, even with an L?

Twitter

I don't think that's what he said.

If you listen to the whole quote (https://youtu.be/vv1Q7ls0mjI?t=27) it appears he's saying he should've gone for it... because they missed. "Of course we should go for it, we missed the field goal, but in that situation we had a plan and we knew the 46 was the mark."

Twitter

If you listen to the whole quote (https://youtu.be/vv1Q7ls0mjI?t=27) it appears he's saying he should've gone for it... because they missed. "Of course we should go for it, we missed the field goal, but in that situation we had a plan and we knew the 46 was the mark."
:shrug: maybe a different interview? I think your quote is from post-game, and the one I posted is after a day of reflection?

I mean I'm not sure I'd say 'fine', but I get your point. They could have easily put up 30.

But they also could have gone for it on 4th and 5 and gotten stuffed, in which case would you say their offense and play calling was all good that game, even with an L?
Yes. I was impressed in-game. I'm not going to let the last minute or so ruin the rest of the game. Running game looked really good, especially with Meinerz. Passing game was effective, including Jerry Jeudy getting a much needed long TD. There was a good number of chunk plays too.

Did you realize the broncos had more yards Monday than in any single game in 2021?

Twitter

:shrug: maybe a different interview? I think your quote is from post-game, and the one I posted is after a day of reflection?
No, your quote was taken from that press conference. The tweet is the 1st sentence in the video when you click on it. It looks like it's 28 seconds in from the start.

Twitter

No, your quote was taken from that press conference. The tweet is the 1st sentence in the video when you click on it. It looks like it's 28 seconds in from the start.
Guess I should have watched your clip. Still, I don't think he's saying because they missed, rather he's explaining the thought process.

Twitter

Guess I should have watched your clip. Still, I don't think he's saying because they missed, rather he's explaining the thought process.

We can't know for sure, but I'd say it sounds pretty clear that he meant he wanted to kick a field goal roughly within that range.

If it wasn't - why not call a timeout at 1:06? His explanation fits with what he did. "We had a plan and we knew the 46 was the mark".

Ok, I can't defend this today. I'm all for giving benefit of doubt and long leashes, but we have got to see improvement.

1. Penalties are killing us. I believe this is the most penalties over a 2 game stretch in team history.

2. Delay of games - WTF? I get it in Seattle; no excuse in Denver.

3. Play calling - Hackett is getting too cute, with the TE sweeps, RB throwbacks, etc...and here we are, 4 trips inside the 5 with 2 turnovers, 2 FG, no TD's... Run the damn ball. Give me 3 TE's, a FB, and pound it in. Everyone knows this.

4. I suppose a lot of this rust is because starters didn't play in preseason. That was to keep healthy, right? But now, we are down Meinerz, Jeudy, Turner, Hamler, Surtain, Simmons, Jewell, so what's the point?

Went to the game today...natives are restless. Also the stadium needs to be blown up. Owners probably leaving a million dollars a week in the fans wallets with the disaster concession situation.

Didn't see the game. Is it true that the fans started chanting a count down of the play clock so Hackett and Wilson couldn't miss it?

:lmao:

Yup. It was kind of funny, but really I think the Broncos were in the milk the clock mode then.

Didn't see the game. Is it true that the fans started chanting a count down of the play clock so Hackett and Wilson couldn't miss it?

Yup. It was kind of funny, but really I think the Broncos were in the milk the clock mode then.
Wow. But they started doing it because of everything that happened before milk the clock time.
yeah....kind of strange because it had to be annoying to Russ.

Wow. But they started doing it because of everything that happened before milk the clock time.
yeah....kind of strange because it had to be annoying to Russ.
Deserved criticism, IMO. More towards Hackett but towards Russ too.

Not sure if it was during the game or on talk radio after the game. Anyway someone said wonder what the new owners were thinking as their new 4 billion team was getting booed loudly by the home fans.

Twitter

Hackett said “They should have gone for it” but it seems he was more talking in hindsight because the kick failed. He said that they decided to kick it if they got to the 46. That was the plan. He seemed to not care that only two kickers had ever kicked a field goal that long or longer in the history of the game. The longest field goal made at Lumen field is 56 yards. This was a 64 yarder, in a hostile environment under pressure. He seems very disconnected from reality.

I feel like he is doubling down.

Not sure if it was during the game or on talk radio after the game. Anyway someone said wonder what the new owners were thinking as their new 4 billion team was getting booed loudly by the home fans.

Fans should have been booing the owners. It took most of the second quarter to get a drink. As bad as Hackett was, the stadium operations made Hackett look like a HOF coach.

Following the Broncos' 16-9 win over the Texans Nathaniel Hackett told reporters, "I would be booing myself."​

The Broncos were once again terrible in the red zone, and their clock management has been epically bad. The Broncos crowd took to chanting the play clock as it expired, like basketball fans chanting the shot clock. Hackett, a first-time play caller, seems to be genuinely struggling with play-calling duties, with the offense repeatedly shooting itself in the foot over the first two weeks. Facing the 49ers in Week 3, the Broncos needs to work out a bucket full of kinks in practice this week.
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk
Sep 19, 2022, 8:54 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread