What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYJ OC Nathaniel Hackett - New Frontiers In NFL Nepotism (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
No, not the nepotism you usually think of, but the kind where your father gets you a leg up on the others because he's established in the industry.

Truly a wonder this guy was ever given the keys to a team.

Just stunning. Fire him. This is like when that guy called a draw play for the Browns on fourth and thirteen. Freddy Kitchens. Who still had a job in the NFL as of last year.

No, not the nepotism you usually think of, but the kind where your father gets you a leg up on the others because he's established in the industry.

Truly a wonder this guy was ever given the keys to a team.

Just stunning. Fire him. This is like when that guy called a draw play for the Browns on fourth and thirteen. Freddy Kitchens. Who still had a job in the NFL as of last year.
Brian Flores would like to have a word with you.

You trade your entire future for Wilson, and then try that kick? And then in a state of total delirium no doubt start calling time outs when Geno is taking knees.....absolute gong show. AFC West will come down to 1 win somewhere and he just coughed on his shoes.
As far as Russ, this is the same type of game Seattle fans have been watching for 10 years. There was no one holding him back....the results were in his favour in the first 7 years, and more like this the last 3....he's not the same guy. Missed Jeudy crossing that would have made it a chip shot.

That was really bad. Like, historically bad mismanagement.

This is what it looks like to have a rookie head coach, OC, DC, a new QB, no tackling in training camp and no pre-season snaps for starters. Let's see if he can adapt.

He should be fired. After one game, yes. He is the worst coach in the league by default already, and I would bet he has already lost a lot of the fanbase. After one game. No wonder Brady and Belichick dominated for two decades when they were together. Idiot coaches everywhere in this league.

He should be fired. Or there should be a clock management guy hired by the organization immediately, because he proved he can't handle it.

You trade your entire future for Wilson, and then try that kick? And then in a state of total delirium no doubt start calling time outs when Geno is taking knees.....absolute gong show. AFC West will come down to 1 win somewhere and he just coughed on his shoes.
As far as Russ, this is the same type of game Seattle fans have been watching for 10 years. There was no one holding him back....the results were in his favour in the first 7 years, and more like this the last 3....he's not the same guy. Missed Jeudy crossing that would have made it a chip shot.
Russell was cooking in 2019 and 2020. Big time.

I'm not worried about Russ. I figured it would take a few games before they started to get it going. I'm more concerned about the defensive performance.

Russell was cooking in 2019 and 2020. Big time.
not when it counted most.....

I've never seen a bigger moron coach an NFL GAME. he literally gave the game away and a bunch of fantasy players all see his mismanagement but he's making millions forgiving away games. sickening and embarrassing

All joking aside (and it is hilarious).... but is his team really going to be able to rally around him now? Has he possibly lost some of the guys in the locker room already?

Brandon McManus career history on 62+ yard FGs
62 yards - 2016 - MISS
62 yards - 2018 - MISS
63 yards - 2021 - MISS
64 yards - 2019 - MISS
64 yards - 2022 - MISS*
70 yards - 2021 - MISS
*tonight

THIS is what Nathaniel Hackett opted for instead of the $242M Russ on 4th & 5???

In an outdoor stadium. At Sea Level. After having a timeout called (to ice him) where he saw him miss it the first time.

He should be fired. After one game, yes. He is the worst coach in the league by default already, and I would bet he has already lost a lot of the fanbase. After one game. No wonder Brady and Belichick dominated for two decades when they were together. Idiot coaches everywhere in this league.
Let's see if he can learn from his mistakes before calling for his job. It's 1 game - 1 of 17, non-divisional, and not even in the same conference.

Outside of goal line and the end of the game, I though the play calling was pretty good. Broncos moved the ball very effectively. Passing game was pretty good, running game was great.

Let's see if he can learn from his mistakes before calling for his job. It's 1 game - 1 of 17, non-divisional, and not even in the same conference.

Outside of goal line and the end of the game, I though the play calling was pretty good. Broncos moved the ball very effectively. Passing game was pretty good, running game was great.
That's like saying the surgeon was pretty good, no problem using the scalpel to slice the patient wide open but couldn't actually perform the surgery needed inside.

That was pretty horrific coaching and clock management. Sharpe must have said repeatedly on the broadcast with Mannings, give the ball to Javonte. He clearly drafted him in fantasy or really thinks that guy can run the football. Denver seemed to abandon the run in the 4th Q only down 4 points.

If I were the Owner I would want to have a talk with Hackett and see what his responses are.

Last edited:

Yes, it's just one game. But in the stacked AFC, nobody wants to be playing BUF in game 1, or needing help the last week of the season. There were also issues with getting the plays called quickly and with too many penalties. The SEA defense might be bad, so I wouldn't give too much credit to the offense just yet. I'm sure Hackett knows analytics, which makes the decision to kick a FG puzzling.

Next Gen stats disagrees with Hackett

>>The NGS field goal probability model estimated the odds of McManus making a 64-yd FG in that situation to be 14.2%.

The model does not adjust for kicker strength but does account for elevation & live weather.

🔹 Mile High Stadium: 5,280 ft
🔸 Lumen Field: 16 ft

Assuming the same temperature, humidity and wind, the probability of making a 64-yd field goal in Denver vs Seattle based on elevation drops by roughly 7 percentage points:

🔸 Mile High Stadium: 21.1%
🔹 Lumen Field: 14.2%

The probability of Russell Wilson and the Broncos offense converting on 4th & 5 against the Seahawks defense in that situation (factoring in team and QB strength) was 42.1%.

...If the Broncos took a timeout following the 3rd down play, their odds of 3+ points with 50 seconds & 2 TO would have be higher with every yard gained...

If the Broncos had converted on 4th & 5, even with 20 seconds & 2 TO, the odds of scoring 3+ was 66.2%...

...According to the NGS Decision Guide, going for it was the right call at both 20 seconds (by 12.8% win) & 50 seconds (by ~15%)...<<

The timeouts while Seattle was kneeling was the 😙🙂 on the ineptitude for the night.

Way too rational for this thread.

They fumbled on the goalline back-to-back. It’s tough to win that way.

Weird to see them average 5.2 ypc, yet throw 2x as much as they ran. Should have run the ball more (except on the goalline lol).

Way too rational for this thread.

They fumbled on the goalline back-to-back. It’s tough to win that way.
The way a well-coached team looks on the goal line on the road on Monday night, is the opposite of what we saw last night. Especially the 2nd one. People not set, Russell rushing once he realizes there's only a few seconds on the game clock.

The timeouts while Seattle was kneeling was the 😙🙂 on the ineptitude for the night.
I think some coaches do at the end of games to help their stats, for real. Let's say you are losing, still have all three timeouts, and allow a 1st down run with 30 seconds left. You can let the clock run out, or you can use all three timeouts to make kneel three times. Say you had allowed 120 rushing yards on 30 carries that game. That means you allowed 4 YPC. But hey, if you make them kneel 3 times for -1 each time (let's go with that, even though sometimes it is -2), you suddenly allowed 117 rushing yards on 33 carries for 3.5 YPC. Some coaches really care about that stuff.

Yeah, that last minute was pretty baffling.
That said, fire him after one game? Didn't Lafleur lose by like 35 his first game with a loaded Packers team?

He should be fired. Or there should be a clock management guy hired by the organization immediately, because he proved he can't handle it.
I've been arguing for years that more teams should have this guy up in the booth someplace. How much would it cost? Surely there are analytics guys out there who would jump at such a job for $200K/yr. That's peanuts for an NFL team and would be hugely worth it if it resulted in just one additional win every couple of years.

It sounds like some teams do actually do this, so I'm not just the proverbial old man yelling at clouds here. NFL HCs got to their position by being really, really good at positional coaching, Xs and Os, and general team/personality management. Those skills are mostly orthogonal to in-game decision making. A bright fan who knows absolutely nothing about zone blocking schemes or two-high shells can still have a lot of insight in how to manage the clock in end-of-game situations.

I've been arguing for years that more teams should have this guy up in the booth someplace. How much would it cost? Surely there are analytics guys out there who would jump at such a job for $200K/yr. That's peanuts for an NFL team and would be hugely worth it if it resulted in just one additional win every couple of years.

It sounds like some teams do actually do this, so I'm not just the proverbial old man yelling at clouds here. NFL HCs got to their position by being really, really good at positional coaching, Xs and Os, and general team/personality management. Those skills are mostly orthogonal to in-game decision making. A bright fan who knows absolutely nothing about zone blocking schemes or two-high shells can still have a lot of insight in how to manage the clock in end-of-game situation.
I would have a guy/gal in the booth complemented by an AI app. However, in this case the average fan, but not Hackett, got it right without access to advanced analytics.

Agree with this.

However, the guy the Broncos needed last night wasn't a logistics two minute drill guy, they needed someone loudly counting down from 40 seconds every play, clapping their hands and yelling let's go, let's go, let's GO PEOPLE at Hackett and then at Russ.

Yeah, last night was SO bad.

As a Jets fan, I know what its l like to see a Hackett make absurdly terrible decisions.

Just absolutely brutal. Any 10 year old who has played Madden could have handled that better.

At the end of the day, the coach is to blame here. But I have to lay some blame on Wilson here too. Dude just sat there like a dope while his dummy coach let 30 seconds run off the clock forcing a 64 yard FG. You're a 9x pro bowler and super bowl champ. He has to know better as well. (just like he should have when they didn't just hand to Beast Mode in the super bowl....but at least he had the excuse that he was 24 years old at that point)

Yeah, last night was SO bad.

As a Jets fan, I know what its l like to see a Hackett make absurdly terrible decisions.

Just absolutely brutal. Any 10 year old who has played Madden could have handled that better.

At the end of the day, the coach is to blame here. But I have to lay some blame on Wilson here too. Dude just sat there like a dope while his dummy coach let 30 seconds run off the block forcing a 64 yard FG. You're a 9x pro bowler and super bowl champ. He has to know better as well. (just like he should have when they didn't just hand to Beast Mode in the super bowl....but at least he had the excuse that he was 24 years old at that point)
Yeah man, he showed zero urgency

This guy should be fired. These aren't decisions that are just inexperience.

I mean dear God. Denver kicker has a career long 61 yarder. And you think a 64 yarder in Seattle makes sense with the game on the line?

You could tell right when they came out with 4 minutes to go and were casually moving around and then with a run up the middle, that he was thinking FG the whole way.

Then he showed that he has no class by using the timeouts for no reason at the end.

I didn’t watch the game so excuse me but am I getting this right, Denver runningbacks fumble twice on the goal line and you want to fire the coach for attempting a field goal in the waning seconds to win the game?

It sounds like some teams do actually do this, so I'm not just the proverbial old man yelling at clouds here. NFL HCs got to their position by being really, really good at positional coaching, Xs and Os, and general team/personality management. Those skills are mostly orthogonal to in-game decision making. A bright fan who knows absolutely nothing about zone blocking schemes or two-high shells can still have a lot of insight in how to manage the clock in end-of-game situations.
Chip Kelly was terrible at a lot of things but the physical conditioning and clock management he brought in was ahead of the curve. He hired a guy just to watch the clock and inform him of things like this.

I didn’t watch the game so excuse me but am I getting this right, Denver runningbacks fumble twice on the goal line and you want to fire the coach for attempting a field goal in the waning seconds to win the game?
Watch the replay.

Second fumble happened because the play came in late and Russ couldn't get everyone set in time. That was a very common theme.

I don't think you fire Hackett after that, and I think people who believe that are reactionary and childish. But last night Hackett let the moment be too big for him and he made a ton of errors.

No, you aren't getting this right. You didn't watch the game, and didn't read this thread

Users who are viewing this thread