What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYJ OC Nathaniel Hackett - New Frontiers In NFL Nepotism (1 Viewer)

The problem with Russ is he can only run one kind of offense. It has been successful historically but Seattle brought in several different OCs with different philosophies and ultimately they just ended up running the "Russell Wilson Offense". He's either unwilling or incapable of successfully piloting a different type of passing scheme. If you look at GB's offense right now (or any years under LaFleur), its very different from the McCarthy days. Rodgers adapted and won two MVPs. Brady was the Goat because they tailored the offense to their roster's strengths. Hackett is going to lose his job trying to get Russ to change and he just won't or can't do it.

Another poster nailed it pretty well. Both shared a couple qualities: short and throwing a great deep ball in their prime. Brees evolved his game and became the signature high accuracy, short throw, dump off passer in the league. Brees learned how to mix it up. Russ seems to only ever have the deep shot on his mind and gets stuck when the field shrinks.

I can’t believe he hasn’t been fired yet. Should have happened Friday morning.
Firing a coach during the season rarely yields positive results. All it does is make people feel good briefly
True, and the simple reality is it's far too early in the season to give up. He'll get fired after 10-12 games when they are 3-7or 4-8.
I usually feel this way but this is an unusual case where we can see he’s throughly out of his depth

Firing a coach during the season rarely yields positive results. All it does is make people feel good briefly
True, and the simple reality is it's far too early in the season to give up. He'll get fired after 10-12 games when they are 3-7or 4-8.
I usually feel this way but this is an unusual case where we can see he’s throughly out of his depth
And the current ownership group didn’t hire him. That’s a huge difference from the typical case of a first-year coach who is struggling.

And the current ownership group didn’t hire him. That’s a huge difference from the typical case of a first-year coach who is struggling.
Yes, but firing him this early is effectively telling the fans and team "Wait 'til next year". I doubt that happens.

Now, I can argue ownership fires him going into the week 9 bye, in an effort to "save the season". That is absolutely the best time to make that move, but has that ever worked out?

Do last year's Raiders count? In the Raiders thread I think most of us believe the biggest loss last year was Ruggs, not Gruden.

Either way I think, barring a miracle turnaround, Hackett is absolutely gone before next season and he may never get another crack at a HC job.

Yes, but firing him this early is effectively telling the fans and team "Wait 'til next year". I doubt that happens.
Counterpoint: it could also be telling the fan base & team, “these simple mistakes are inexcusable, and we insist on a higher caliber of football. We are making this change to inspire a higher caliber of play and coaching in what we see as a win-now team. We aren’t going to wait until we’re 3-7 to do anything about this obvious issue.”

Counterpoint: it could also be telling the fan base & team, “these simple mistakes are inexcusable, and we insist on a higher caliber of football. We are making this change to inspire a higher caliber of play and coaching in what we see as a win-now team. We aren’t going to wait until we’re 3-7 to do anything about this obvious issue.”
That’s my take, KEEPING him is white flagging the season. The NFL moves fast now, Josh Rosen got a year. Sometimes you just know

That’s my take, KEEPING him is white flagging the season. The NFL moves fast now, Josh Rosen got a year. Sometimes you just know
Maybe, but are there any examples where there was a positive outcome in a similar situation?

Rich Bisacccia is the only one that comes to mind and that feels very different.

Maybe not though as this usually happens on objectively bad teams and the Broncos seem to have talent, as did the Raiders last year (I would say the Broncos have more).

Who's the in-house candidate? Justin Outten? Ejiro Evero? That would be my choice with the way the D is playing. Dom Capers? (Admit it, your first thought was "He's still alive?") Klint Kubiak (maybe nepotism strikes twice)?

Maybe, but are there any examples where there was a positive outcome in a similar situation?

Rich Bisacccia is the only one that comes to mind and that feels very different.

Maybe not though as this usually happens on objectively bad teams and the Broncos seem to have talent, as did the Raiders last year (I would say the Broncos have more).

Who's the in-house candidate? Justin Outten? Ejiro Evero? That would be my choice with the way the D is playing. Dom Capers? (Admit it, your first thought was "He's still alive?") Klint Kubiak (maybe nepotism strikes twice)?
Raiders certainly seemed to play better after Gruden’s untimely departure, but it’s a small sample size.

It is an apt comparison though, since the Broncos do have the roster to compete & clearly Hackett has cost them some wins.

I feel like theres no way he gets fired midseason this year. Teams always give a HC a chance to figure it out. Also the new owners don't want a reputation that they fire coaches quickly, it limits their ability to hire real talent.

I feel like theres no way he gets fired midseason this year. Teams always give a HC a chance to figure it out. Also the new owners don't want a reputation that they fire coaches quickly, it limits their ability to hire real talent.
IIRC he wasn’t hired under this ownership group, so I’m not sure if they feel like they owe him anything.

As for what prospective hires might think, I’m guessing it would be something like, “yeah, I woulda fired him too.”

Now, I can argue ownership fires him going into the week 9 bye, in an effort to "save the season". That is absolutely the best time to make that move, but has that ever worked out?

Do last year's Raiders count? In the Raiders thread I think most of us believe the biggest loss last year was Ruggs, not Gruden.

Either way I think, barring a miracle turnaround, Hackett is absolutely gone before next season and he may never get another crack at a HC job.
You're talking about the fans that were walking out of a game as it went to over time?
Let me repeat that just so it sinks in. Overtime. One of the most exciting things that can happen to a football game. And fans were streaming out of the stadium. It's those fans you think would be upset with /anyone/ else coaching? Even the waterboy.
Those fans will sit there at week 17 when the Broncos haven't won another game or put up another point and go "the waterboy sucks but at least it isn't Hackett any more".

Keeping this coaching staff is such a white flag it thinks mayo is spicy.

Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett said Melvin Gordon was not injured in Week 6 against the Chargers.​

In other words, Gordon was benched in favor of Latavius Murray, who joined the Broncos two weeks ago and now finds himself as the top early-down back. Gordon rushed three times for eight yards before he was yanked from Monday night's game against LA; Murray ended with 15 rushes while Mike Boone took most of the pass-catching work out of the Denver backfield. Gordon, helmet off, was visibly frustrated on the Broncos sideline throughout the second half. He's not a fantasy option for now.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeff Legwold on Twitter
Oct 18, 2022, 9:02 AM ET

You have to fire him NOW! He should have been fired after week 1. He is in over his head. Anything is better than him. And there is no incentive to tank, Seattle has all your dang draft picks. Wake up Denver!

by my eye, this is a case of a square peg into a round hole, repeatedly.

Before the season, Hackett said the basis of the offense was going to be wide zone runs. Accordingly, Broncos dumped Mike Munchak, who was more of a power scheme guy (and one of the best OL coaches in the business), in favor of a guy from SF. This offense works by forcing the defense to flow from sideline to sideline, covering a lot of ground vs both the run and pass - it's all about stretching the field left to right. Honestly, that was music to my ears because the Broncos won 2 SB's using that scheme, but that's not the way the roster was constructed. This is the first square peg.

Next, he implemented a west coast passing scheme which requires the QB to quickly scan the field left to right - that makes a lot of sense given the running scheme in place. However, Russ seems to be more of a vertical read guy - look deep, then look short. He isn't great at left to right. Russ himself is the second square peg.

Hackett knows the team needs to establish the run to be successful. The passing game works a hell of a lot better with a legit play-action threat, not to mention pulling at least one safety into the box. He knows this. He reportedly said at halftime on Sunday - we have got to establish the run in the 2nd half. But what happened? In the first drive, Rypien threw the ball 6 consecutive times! The damn backup QB threw the ball 46 times in a game where the Broncos never trailed by more than 7. It's insanity. Abandoning his gameplan is the third square peg.

Hackett knows what to do and he can scheme a good offense. But so far, he has not shown the ability to actually execute a game plan. He has got to be stripped of playcalling duties. If he won't give it up himself, he needs to be replaced.

by my eye, this is a case of a square peg into a round hole, repeatedly.

Before the season, Hackett said the basis of the offense was going to be wide zone runs. Accordingly, Broncos dumped Mike Munchak, who was more of a power scheme guy (and one of the best OL coaches in the business), in favor of a guy from SF. This offense works by forcing the defense to flow from sideline to sideline, covering a lot of ground vs both the run and pass - it's all about stretching the field left to right. Honestly, that was music to my ears because the Broncos won 2 SB's using that scheme, but that's not the way the roster was constructed. This is the first square peg.

Next, he implemented a west coast passing scheme which requires the QB to quickly scan the field left to right - that makes a lot of sense given the running scheme in place. However, Russ seems to be more of a vertical read guy - look deep, then look short. He isn't great at left to right. Russ himself is the second square peg.

Hackett knows the team needs to establish the run to be successful. The passing game works a hell of a lot better with a legit play-action threat, not to mention pulling at least one safety into the box. He knows this. He reportedly said at halftime on Sunday - we have got to establish the run in the 2nd half. But what happened? In the first drive, Rypien threw the ball 6 consecutive times! The damn backup QB threw the ball 46 times in a game where the Broncos never trailed by more than 7. It's insanity. Abandoning his gameplan is the third square peg.

Hackett knows what to do and he can scheme a good offense. But so far, he has not shown the ability to actually execute a game plan. He has got to be stripped of playcalling duties. If he won't give it up himself, he needs to be replaced.

Hackett is an awful coach. He literally got the job only because of Aaron Rodgers. The play calling in the redzone is what stands out to me as well. 5 or 6 passes in a row consistently even when he had Williams back there. I heard rumblings that he will be fired if they lose to the Jags, which I am sure they will because he is awful. Hopefully, he is finally fired so the Broncos will be interesting to watch again.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano reports “there's chatter in league circles” Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett could be fired if Denver doesn’t win its Week 8 game in London.​

Hackett has been at the center of the Broncos’ 2-5 start, with Denver leading the league in penalties and ranking last in points per game (14.3). The Broncos have lost four straight under Hackett, a stretch that's produced just five touchdowns. The Broncos' new ownership wasn't in place when Hackett was hired, leading to speculation Hackett will only get one season in Denver. With DC Ejiro Evero lurking as an interim option, a midseason firing is in play for Hackett. A loss to the Jaguars in London could lead to changes going into Denver’s bye
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Oct 28, 2022, 9:04 PM ET

ESPN’s Dan Graziano reports “there's chatter in league circles” Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett could be fired if Denver doesn’t win its Week 8 game in London.​

Hackett has been at the center of the Broncos’ 2-5 start, with Denver leading the league in penalties and ranking last in points per game (14.3). The Broncos have lost four straight under Hackett, a stretch that's produced just five touchdowns. The Broncos' new ownership wasn't in place when Hackett was hired, leading to speculation Hackett will only get one season in Denver. With DC Ejiro Evero lurking as an interim option, a midseason firing is in play for Hackett. A loss to the Jaguars in London could lead to changes going into Denver’s bye
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Oct 28, 2022, 9:04 PM ET
Ah the classic "leave em in London" move.

Agreed. I love the Broncos moves of hiring Hackett and giving Russ millions. Denver should give Hackett at least 3-5 years to see how he does.
Don't forget the draft picks. Raider fans love the draft pick angle.

2022 first-round pick
2022 second-round pick
2022 fifth-round pick
2023 first-round pick
2023 second-round pick

I think if they bring in a strong head coach that Russ will be fine. He needs someone experienced to take the horns and be the organizational leader. His "hi-knee" on the plane schtick isn't going to work with most people, including fans. But he needs somebody to take the heat off of him and pronto.

Zac Stevens @ZacStevensDNVR

Nathaniel Hackett said Russell Wilson using Seattle language with audibles is news to him. He added he didn’t know that before today.

Seahawk Nerd @SeahawkNerd
An inside look of how the #Seahawks familiarity with Russell Wilson helped them to defend against him.

Tyler Lockett, tapping his wrist: "If you see this..."
Mike Jackson: "Go ball.
Tyler Lockett, nodding: "That's a go."

Zac Stevens @ZacStevensDNVR

Nathaniel Hackett said Russell Wilson using Seattle language with audibles is news to him. He added he didn’t know that before today.

Seahawk Nerd @SeahawkNerd
An inside look of how the #Seahawks familiarity with Russell Wilson helped them to defend against him.

Tyler Lockett, tapping his wrist: "If you see this..."
Mike Jackson: "Go ball.
Tyler Lockett, nodding: "That's a go."

What a total dysfunctional train wreck of an organization

Is there any real chance they part ways with Hackett soon? If the offense worked maybe 30-40% better this is a playoff team with that defense.

Users who are viewing this thread