What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYJ OC Nathaniel Hackett - New Frontiers In NFL Nepotism (1 Viewer)

Read this the other day:

“The Broncos (3-6) are in danger of becoming the first team since the 1946 Pittsburgh Steelers to own both the NFL's stoutest defense and its feeblest offense.

Denver is allowing a league-low 16.5 points per game, but its offense continues to spin out under Nathaniel Hackett and Russell Wilson, averaging a meager 14.5 points per game.”

Their offense is literally 32nd in points scored and the defense is #1 in points allowed. That is some rare company and embarrassing for an offensive minded head coach that calls his own plays. The same article estimated that if the Broncos scored just 3 more points a game (7th worst avg) they would be 8-1.

Read this the other day:

“The Broncos (3-6) are in danger of becoming the first team since the 1946 Pittsburgh Steelers to own both the NFL's stoutest defense and its feeblest offense.

Denver is allowing a league-low 16.5 points per game, but its offense continues to spin out under Nathaniel Hackett and Russell Wilson, averaging a meager 14.5 points per game.”

Their offense is literally 32nd in points scored and the defense is #1 in points allowed. That is some rare company and embarrassing for an offensive minded head coach that calls his own plays. The same article estimated that if the Broncos scored just 3 more points a game (7th worst avg) they would be 8-1.
If Denver scored exactly 18 points in every game, they would be 7-2.

Read this the other day:

If Denver scored exactly 18 points in every game, they would be 7-2.
Not necessarily. We have no way of knowing how those games play out if they had scored a bit more.

Read this the other day:

I'm terrible at math but that seems like a 20% increase in points, so I was high with the 30-40%. Even at 20% more this offense would be brutal to watch, but 8-1 is impressive. Helluva defense being absolutely wasted.

Shades of the 1991 Eagles -- D finished first in rush yards, pass yards and total yards allowed but the team missed the playoffs because Randall Cunningham got hurt in Week 1 and the since offense was nothing more than "let Randall make something happen," it was a disaster without him.

There are no words for how bad Hackett is.

He sucks. He sucks badly.

The Broncos have become a clown show, and sticking with that idiot just shows how poorly they are now run.

When your coaches sucks this bad, your team sucks.

I'm not a fan of firing first year coaches, especially not mid season, but if you can't score more than 16 points on that Raiders defense at home, you should not be in charge of an NFL offense, let alone the whole team.

As a Raiders fan I hope they sign him to a 10 year extension.

It shows how dreadful the new ownership is when this clown is still employed as the head coach. This franchise is screwed going forward.

Let me makes sure I have this correct
Seattle traded their HoF QB to Denver last off season
Seattle has twice as many wins as Denver
12 Weeks into the '22 season
Just checking
Apparently Seattle held on to their HoF QB.

And Russell Wilson went to Denver to make a case for Pete Carroll's HoF credentials.

Was certainly thinking this would be the case when watching their game yesterday. Based on stuff I've been reading over last few weeks I do believe the decision to fire him had been reached awhile ago but they saw no benefit of an in-season firing/interim coach. But that performance yesterday just left them no choice.

That score yesterday has the look of a team who finally quit on their coach; they picked the perfect time to do it. Primetime Christmas with all eyes watching

Was certainly thinking this would be the case when watching their game yesterday. Based on stuff I've been reading over last few weeks I do believe the decision to fire him had been reached awhile ago but they saw no benefit of an in-season firing/interim coach. But that performance yesterday just left them no choice.
Whoever thinks this within that org should be fired next.

It's ownership and I don't agree with you.

I agree with you.

If you are an HC candidate, and you need to make Russ work for the next two years, do you take the job?
Not someone like Sean Payton who can call his shots.

As there are only 32 of these jobs they'll be able to find a solid candidate but to your point they won't be the preferred spot of candidates with other choices in large part due to Russell but also just knowing you got about a quarter of your games each year against Herbert/Mahomes in a stacked AFC.

Really got to think most coaches, those with a choice, either would want the Chargers job if it opened up or get out of the AFC all together.

I'd add that I believe one of the myriad of reasons ownership wanted to give Hackett till the end of the season was to show potential coaching hires they were not a rash organization but instead one that would be patient. Which I think they showed they are willing to be but everyone has limits.

pre job interview with broncos u make it abundantly clear that if youre a hc candidate and you take the job you wont start wilson Im not tied to him as my qb you overpaid him cut him and pay the price hes useless to me. if they say no you dont fly to denver for the interview. youll be fired in 2 years anyways if u take the job then your an assistant to joe schmoe at nd state university. better to stay where u are in the nfl do other interviews

pre job interview with broncos u make it abundantly clear that if youre a hc candidate and you take the job you wont start wilson Im not tied to him as my qb you overpaid him cut him and pay the price hes useless to me. if they say no you dont fly to denver for the interview. youll be fired in 2 years anyways if u take the job then your an assistant to joe schmoe at nd state university. better to stay where u are in the nfl do other interviews
I wouldn't want a head coach wanting to go into next season with $100M in dead cap money and no QB.

They won't get a top notch coach but there are worse jobs in the NFL. I mean top 5 or so D, they had a lot of injuries this year, and with the right fit I'm in the camp that Russ can be salvaged which I I realize is the minority opinion here. maybe he won't be an all pro but think he can be a game manager with a good running game.

Sounds like the ownership is in for a very rough ride then.

Seriously this will absolutely be a marquee destination. Candidates will still view Wilson as the Pro-Bowl QB he was in Seattle and will put full blame on Hackett for the failures on offense.

What also cannot be overlooked is how bad their offensive line is. Don't get me wrong, Hackett was a clueless doofus, and Wilson has been mostly awful, but their offensive line has been terrible. I can't keep track of how many times Wilson dropped back to pass and was getting hit before he could even finish his drop back. That would make any QB skittish and throw them off their game.

If Denver just has an average amount of injuries this year and a competent coaching staff they may be in the playoff hunt right now. They have practice squad guy’s in the backfield, offensive line and at receiver. I think they are up to 25+ players who have been on the IR. I would think a prospective coaching candidate would be able to recognize that this team still has potential. Obviously, what they think about Russ will be key. I think Wilson has been revealed as a system QB. It’s clear this system was not good for him. It’s clear he’s not the type to make others around him better. It’s the other way around.

Right now Wilson is shell shocked. He’s seeing ghosts. He doesn’t have DK and Lockette to bail him out. It’s gonna take a fantastic coach to turn him around.

Goodbye, Nathaniel. I'm sure your nepotistic *** will wind up somewhere else with a high-profile job. That's the nature of this beast.

Awful. Goodbye from the Broncos. :bye:

Hello, some other sucker.

It looks like Evero said no to the interim job.

Current odds for next Bronco coach.

Sean Payton…4-1
Dan Quinn……5-1
Jim Caldwell….6-1

It looks like Evero said no to the interim job.

Current odds for next Bronco coach.

Sean Payton…4-1
Dan Quinn……5-1
Jim Caldwell….6-1
Payton can pick his spot. Would he pick somewhere with such a crippling QB contract?
Depends on what he thinks of Wilson's abilities. It's not like Drew Brees didn't eat a bunch of cap space.

The bigger issue, IMO, is how much more draft capital will Denver have to give up to get Payton and will he be open to starting that far behind the 8-ball draft wide?

Users who are viewing this thread