What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (1 Viewer)

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
BigSteelThrill said:
Abraham said:
Doesn't this make Melo angry? Not even 24 hours of being the best looking girl at the dance and Lebron is now technically available.
He should have never ran his mouth at the NBA draft on live TV.

Claiming he was the best player while barely being able to speak the English language was brutal.
What in God's name are you talking about?

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
As awesome as Melo is, he isn't an NBA Champion, & I don't think he ever will be, at least as the centerpiece. This isn't Syracuse. He is a scorer, that is all. He is an average rebounder, rarely distributes, & is awful on defense... Sure he'll obviously get a max contract, but I think it'll hurt a team more than help.

There I said it.

pollardsvision

Footballguy
Abraham said:
Doesn't this make Melo angry? Not even 24 hours of being the best looking girl at the dance and Lebron is now technically available.
This is probably really, really dumb, but I've wondered if Melo would consider a one-year deal, then going back to the Knicks. A year from now, the Knicks could be a great spot, but this will just be miserable. Enough to crush a man's spirit.

I really want to see some star go full mercenary at some point.

I mean the risk is obvious, but for somebody like Melo, he could tear his ACL this year on a one-year deal and still find somebody that would give him a pretty healthy contract.

Sammy3469

Footballguy
Could any team afford both James and Anthony?
Cleveland if the renounce Deng and Hawes and decline Varejao and Gee's options. Just saying.

Edit: I'm sure there are a couple more as well especially if you start throwing in sign and trade scenarios

Last edited by a moderator:

Abraham

Footballguy
What are you talking about? Anthony may be the best rebounding small forward in the game. He was 11th last year and every forward in front of him is a true power forward like Aldridge or Zbo

Cliff Clavin

Footballguy
Could any team afford both James and Anthony?
Sure. Lots of teams have cap space and/or could create cap space pretty easily. Teams with cap space (Philly, Utah, Phoenix, etc) would happily eat some contracts for a few first round picks.

Odds of that pairing happening about .00001% IMO.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
As awesome as Melo is, he isn't an NBA Champion, & I don't think he ever will be, at least as the centerpiece. This isn't Syracuse. He is a scorer, that is all. He is an average rebounder, rarely distributes, & is awful on defense... Sure he'll obviously get a max contract, but I think it'll hurt a team more than help.

There I said it.
"Average"

pollardsvision

Footballguy
Last time I mention ATL, swear, but Millsap is highly tradable. They could trade him for a solid asset at any time. Or, more likely, they use him to get rid of Lou Williams.

Without Millsap/Williams, ATL is at about $33 mill, with Horford, Teague, Korver, Carroll, Antic, and the German Rondo fella.

LeBron/Melo both get a discount, and for $63 mill, the Hawks roll out......

Teague, Shroeder, Mack

Some cheap FA chasing a title, or somebody cheap from trading Millsap, or a SG at pick 16

LeBron, Korver, Carroll

Melo

Horford, Antic

They've got great shooting, a lot of depth, a legit big, and a free ride to the ECF. That's 9 players, including 3 all-stars and 2 fantastic contributors and some solid bench players, for the exact same price MIA was due to pay the Big 3 this year.

LeBron and Melo both probably move the needle enough to for a couple people to come watch the Hawks play.

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
BigSteelThrill said:
Abraham said:

Claiming he was the best player while barely being able to speak the English language was brutal.
Melo, back in the 2003 draft. He ran his mouth at the draft in a live interview.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
BigSteelThrill said:
Abraham said:

Melo, back in the 2003 draft. He ran his mouth at the draft in a live interview.
You're upset about something he said 11 years ago, something that pretty much every early draft pick thinks and many of them say? Come on.

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
BigSteelThrill said:
Abraham said:

You're upset about something he said 11 years ago, something that pretty much every early draft pick thinks and many of them say? Come on.
I'm not upset at all.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
BigSteelThrill said:
Abraham said:

I'm not upset at all.
Then why do you think he shouldn't he have done it? What harm was done? And why do you remember it 11 years later when the rest of the basketball world has long since forgotten?

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
Then why do you think he shouldn't he have done it? What harm was done? And why do you remember it 11 years later when the rest of the basketball world has long since forgotten?
I think this started with someone asking if MELO was upset because the Lebron James news trumped him.

I was merely saying he once blatantly tried to trump James with his mouth/news on national TV. So yeah.. paybacks and all that.

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
I'll give anyone here 2-1 odds and make a wager that Melo doesn't win a title ever as the leading scorer of a team... Who wants it?
I'll give anyone here 2-1 odds fantasycurse42 will change the subject instead of admitting he was wrong next time, too.
My statement was simple, he isn't an NBA Champ... He also is career 6.5 rebounds per game... Melo is 6'8-6'9 230, not a little guy. He should be up at 8-10 a game.

ETA: same odds TFunke has about admitting he is wrong about Lebron not being the greatest ever.

Cliff Clavin

Footballguy
I remember an interview with Melo from back then where he said he'd rather win the MVP than a championship. Seems like he's played his career pretty accurately towards that statement.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
I think this started with someone asking if MELO was upset because the Lebron James news trumped him.

I was merely saying he once blatantly tried to trump James with his mouth/news on national TV. So yeah.. paybacks and all that.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Weird point to make about Melo, though. He's not known as boastful, at least as far as I've heard. Seems like a pretty quiet guy.

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
I remember an interview with Melo from back then where he said he'd rather win the MVP than a championship. Seems like he's played his career pretty accurately towards that statement.
I have never agreed with Cliff more.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
I'll give anyone here 2-1 odds and make a wager that Melo doesn't win a title ever as the leading scorer of a team... Who wants it?
I'll give anyone here 2-1 odds fantasycurse42 will change the subject instead of admitting he was wrong next time, too.
My statement was simple, he isn't an NBA Champ... He also is career 6.5 rebounds per game... Melo is 6'8-6'9 230, not a little guy. He should be up at 8-10 a game.

ETA: same odds TFunke has about admitting he is wrong about Lebron not being the greatest ever.
You said he was an average rebounder. He led small forwards in rebounding last season by a wide margin. You were wrong.

I have no idea what you're saying in your ETA but I've never said any particular player was or wasn't the greatest ever.

GOB

Footballguy
I'm by no means an expert on anything in life...

So technically could LeBron take like $5 million a year? Sure the players association would be mad but is there anything stopping him?

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.

You said he was an average rebounder. He led small forwards in rebounding last season by a wide margin. You were wrong.

I have no idea what you're saying in your ETA but I've never said any particular player was or wasn't the greatest ever.
You haven't actually said it, but your sentiments are fairly easy to interpret...

Captain Quinoa

Footballguy
Channeling my inner Abe:

Utah gets #1 pick, Jack

Minnesota gets #5, #23, Miami's 2015 1st (via CLE), T. Thompson
Cleveland gets Love, Burks, Favors

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
I'm by no means an expert on anything in life...

So technically could LeBron take like $5 million a year? Sure the players association would be mad but is there anything stopping him?
Technically he could, and with his off the court money, it wouldn't have a huge impact on his bottom line, but as much as I dislike him, I wouldn't fault him for taking near max dollars or max dollars.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
I have never agreed with Cliff more.
I'm no Melo defender, as most of the people here will attest. I think there are a lot of flaws to his game, starting with the impact he has on his team's offense. But I don't think you're being very fair to him. There's no such thing as a guy who can win a title. The league has never seen a player good enough to drag otherwise average talent and coaching to a championship, ever (or at least not in my lifetime). Even Jordan's Bulls teams won 55 games without him.

Juxtatarot

Footballguy
Wojo is tweeting that the LeBron-Bosh-Wade haven't met to discuss what they are doing.
Why the rush? They will. (And LeBron isn't going anywhere. Didn't we know he was opting out from the moment he signed that contract?)

Bobcat10

Footballguy
Wojo is tweeting that the LeBron-Bosh-Wade haven't met to discuss what they are doing.
Great news for all teams except Miami. Doesn't seem like he cares what they want to do. He got 2 titles in 4 years and is ready to move on again. He can go elsewhere and be in a much better situation going forward.

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

You haven't actually said it, but your sentiments are fairly easy to interpret...
Apparently not.

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.

Apparently not.
Start here:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=707656&p=16897081

Then keep reading through the thread.

Juxtatarot

Footballguy

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

Apparently not.
Start here:

There is a difference between poking holes in your terrible arguments and arguing in favor or the opposite position. In fact I say repeatedly in that very link that I can't really compare two players of different eras in a reasonable way.

If you can find me a post where I say LeBron is the greatest basketball player ever I'll send $100 to the charity of your choice.

B-Deep

Footballguy
Why the rush? They will. (And LeBron isn't going anywhere. Did we know he was opting out from the moment he signed that contract?)
so why the rush for him to opt out?
I don't think he did rush. And everyone has known he was going to do this anyway. Why not tell the Heat?
why not talk to bosh and wade?

why have they not opted out, if they are going to?

i thought the big three were thick as thieves and were miami live or die,...sure seems like james wants teams to know he is out there before the draft

Abraham

Footballguy
#3 and #7 pick to Minnesota

Love and Nash to Philly

MCW and Thad to Lakers

____

Melo to LAL

Lakers: MCW, Kobe, Melo, Thad, #Sacreforlife

Captain Quinoa

Footballguy

Apparently not.
Start here:

..LeBron is the greatest basketball player ever ..
Aha!

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

Apparently not.
Start here:

..LeBron is the greatest basketball player ever ..
Aha!
:lmao:

Mario Kart

Footballguy
I think Riley knew in that press conference this was going to happen. Riley threw the gauntlet down for others to step up their campaigning. Like Riley said, James is throwing in the towel in Miami and walking away. Money? No. Loyalty? No. Opportunistic? Yes. Cowardice? Yes.

Abraham

Footballguy
#3 and #7 pick to Minnesota

Love and Nash to Philly

MCW and Thad to Lakers
So #3, MCW, Thad Young and the loss of 10 million dollars.... for Love?

He better sign the full extension, at less then max.
Getting a top-10 player isn't always pretty. Isn't this exactly why teams horde "assets", so they can use them to get a superstar? So let's so Love does sign for the max and Nash retires next season. They would be going in to the summer of 15, when the FA class will be solid again, with room for another max guy.

Users who are viewing this thread