What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need a new dishwasher (1 Viewer)

Bump. likely buying a new DW this weekend. Consumer Reports (and FBG) likes the Bosch a lot, but Amazon reviews aren't pretty.
Bosch has been pretty good for us after a few months.  Dishes come out very clean and it's quiet. Coming from a dishwasher with heating coil, it's a little annoying having to stock and use Finish Dry, but not the end of the world.  If I could do over and get Bosch with heating coil, it would be great. 

thought of this thread when this popped up on my work/news feed.

pretty great blog-article outlining dishwashers this year. thought it did a good job explaining the differences in brands, pros/cons, etc.

Not terribly impressed with our Bosch.  Its quiet, but the dishes don't come out clean if we fully load it.  We did buy the lower end one and would definitely go up a grade if we had it to do over again. 

I repaired by 8 year old Bosch that wasn't heating properly.  One of the pins on the relay on the PCB was burned out, so I reflowed some solder to the pin and wha-la, it's working perfectly again.
A repairman savant!!!!!!!!!!

soldering no less, good work.

Still love my Bosch. Only complaints are the door cracking to help drying time and the plastic wheels on the racks can pop off if pulled askew (easily pop back on)

Random said:
Not terribly impressed with our Bosch.  Its quiet, but the dishes don't come out clean if we fully load it.  We did buy the lower end one and would definitely go up a grade if we had it to do over again. 
This is us too. Never really cleaned the dishes well even using Finish tablets. But we have an Ascenta Series which is their lowest end model. Is the 500 Series the sweet spot for quality washing? Which specific model number Bosch does everyone have that they love?

This is us too. Never really cleaned the dishes well even using Finish tablets. But we have an Ascenta Series which is their lowest end model. Is the 500 Series the sweet spot for quality washing? Which specific model number Bosch does everyone have that they love?
We have found loading the bottom rack every other slot cleans much better.

Love our Bosch. Cleans very well. 

But yah, if you pack in food-laden plates like a Bangladesh coach car then they’re probably not getting clean in any dishwasher. :lol:  

I don’t pre-rinse my dishes and try to pack it to the gills and never had an issue with pulling dirty dishes out of my Bosch 

I think it is the 500 series with the 3 racks. I was initially skeptical of the highest rack but find it surprisingly useful. 

It’s 9 years old. Lowest end model. It needs to be replaced with a better model.
Settled on getting a Bosch 500 Series to replace our failed Bosch Ascenta Series. After checking dishwasher guides bought the SHXM65W55N which is regularly about $899. 

Found an open-box model at Best Buy for $675 - $50 for picking it up myself. It had the cord already too which saved another $30. Installed it today and it works great.

Side peeve. So dumb that they don’t include the cord or the brass fitting. Moneymaker just like Resort Fees in Vegas. ?

fwiw, was talking with a mom at floppinha's tennis class over the weekend. said her bosch literally caught fire- electrical fire at the plastic panel, and if not for working smoke/fire alarm, entire kitchen would've gone up (or worse... NYC apartment building). she called bosch afterwards, and she said they seemed well aware of this as a problem... recommended getting stainless front panel. uh.... that's the answer?

eta: also, pretty sure bosch wasn't a euphemism.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
fwiw, was talking with a mom at floppinha's tennis class over the weekend. said her bosch literally caught fire- electrical fire at the plastic panel, and if not for working smoke/fire alarm, entire kitchen would've gone up (or worse... NYC apartment building). she called bosch afterwards, and she said they seemed well aware of this as a problem... recommended getting stainless front panel. uh.... that's the answer?

eta: also, pretty sure bosch wasn't a euphemism.
As opposed to what? The custom wood panel that matches cabinets? I can’t believe that would be a known fire hazard and I’d love to see a link.

Buying our 4th dishwasher in 17 years. Looks like Bosch 300 or 500 is the way to go but...

WTF is up with all the options???? Theres like 30 different model numbers! 

Washing dishes by hand has been less frustrating than looking for a new dishwasher. 

Had my new Bosch 300 installed yesterday. 

Really impressed by the 3rd rack.  Wasn't sure I would really use it at first, but now I'm thinking the silverware will always go there and the basket will go in the cabinet.  

Have to learn the new layout for getting dishes in the dw.  My wife thinks I'm overly anal about loading the dw, she just doesn't understand the love of Tetris.   :shrug:

Not sure this is the place, but we also got a new Eletrolux washer and dryer.  The washer takes the pods and that's what the wife wanted.  Ran a smallish load yesterday and it seems quiet enough.  Dryer has the steam option, wonder how much we will use that.  

I replaced our 10 year old Kenmore Elite dishwasher with a Bosch 500 series about 2-3 months ago.  Very simple installation, since I've had 2-3 months with it, I have to say it cleans really well but, my God, I love how quiet the thing is.  I think I paid $1,000 for the old Kenmore dishwasher and I think for this 500 series Bosch I spent about the same but, to me, it's light years better.  As I was installing the dishwasher, I noticed it has a screen/filter at the bottom of the dishwasher and I am certain my old one didn't have that that screen/filter deal.  I used to just reach into it, pull out a bunch of smelly gunk at the bottom and then run a bottle of dishwasher cleaner through it every now and then to make it smell better.

I like our Kitchen-Aid dishwasher but man does it stink. Tried cleaning out everything you can see and that sort of helps a little but it goes back to reek city pretty quickly. Don't know if it's a flaw in the design where food particles are getting trapped somewhere or what. Usually pretty anal about pre rinsing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like our Kitchen-Aid dishwasher but man does it stink. Tried cleaning out everything you can see and that sort of helps a little but it goes back to reek city pretty quickly. Don't know if it's a flaw in the design where food particles are getting trapped somewhere or what. Usually pretty anal about pre rinsing too.
It seems counterintuitive but pre-rinsing is not recommended. Some food material is needed to react with the detergent.

Did you clean your screen?

Buying our 4th dishwasher in 17 years. Looks like Bosch 300 or 500 is the way to go but...

WTF is up with all the options???? Theres like 30 different model numbers! 

Washing dishes by hand has been less frustrating than looking for a new dishwasher. 
I have a Miele vacuum cleaner.  Excellent stuff.  When it's time to replace, I'm getting the same brand dishwasher.

Bump. What's good these days? What brands to avoid?
Seems like they go in phases. Been pretty happy with the Samsung dishwasher we bought. Very quiet. I will suggest that you don’t make the same mistake I did…go ahead pay for installation. I’m too old to contort like that.

Bump. What's good these days? What brands to avoid?
Seems like they go in phases. Been pretty happy with the Samsung dishwasher we bought. Very quiet. I will suggest that you don’t make the same mistake I did…go ahead pay for installation. I’m too old to contort like that.

Unfortunately they often end up messing something up.

Last purchase we had installed was the microwave. I said I would install it, the wife insisted they do it since it was included.

Microwave is still crooked but it makes me smile every time I see it.

I don't know if Siemens exists as a dishwasher brand in North America these days... But bought one here in France and it is absolutely sensational.

Bosch/Siemens and Miele are the cat's ***.

Don't buy the plug they always try to sell you. If your dishwasher is hardwired you don't need a plug. If your current dishwasher isn't hardwired you can easily reuse the old plug. I always inspect the old plug for signs of wear or arcing.

Bosch 500 series it is!

since bosch/siemens are basically the same company now... I wonder if this is the same as my Siemens IQ500, or not. Look is definitely different, but the inside probably similar.

parents in Canada have a bosch and LOVE it, so you made a good choice. think their's was from costco, iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread