What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor Issue (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
We have neighbors that constructed a fence 5-6 feet off of the property line. They have taken to throwing their yard refuse over the fence on to our side (lawn clippings, dog crap, sticks, etc.). We've sparred over this and they usually stop for a while and then go back to doing it. Their argument is that they intentionally put the fence set off of the property line so they could dump their crap over the fence and still have it on their property. I have gone to the police about this, and they have talked to them about it but do nothing about it. Essentially, they don't want to get involved, as the neighbors claim it's our yard waste and not theirs on our side of the fence.

The neighbors have upped the ante now, as they have taken to collecting their leaves and heaving them on to our side of the fence. Besides the unsightly view of mounds of leaves, they blow all over our yard and then I have to collect and dispose of them myself.

Given all that, what is the appropriate response at this point? Taking whatever they dumped on our side of the fence and flinging it back over into their yard? Leaving them some presents from our dog on their porch or car? Leave a horse's head under their sheets?

Build a fence on your line.....the crap that gets dumped in the newly-created alleyway is their responsibility. Go to your county recorder site if you haven't already and get a record of the property lines. A bright spotlight and flaming poo always are good alternatives.

Wow, WTF possesses someone to do something like that? I have no advice here but PatriotJohn's idea sounds like a decent one.

Build a fence on your line.....the crap that gets dumped in the newly-created alleyway is their responsibility. Go to your county recorder site if you haven't already and get a record of the property lines. A bright spotlight and flaming poo always are good alternatives.
:goodposting:

I love how people pull crap like this and don't even give a thought that it might not be cool or inconsiderate. Like PatriotJohn said, build a fence. That way you'll never have worry about it. And build a fence slightly higher than theirs and paint the side facing them with images of Jaleel White as Erkle throughout the year.

Anarchy99 said:
We have neighbors that constructed a fence 5-6 feet off of the property line. They have taken to throwing their yard refuse over the fence on to our side (lawn clippings, dog crap, sticks, etc.). We've sparred over this and they usually stop for a while and then go back to doing it. Their argument is that they intentionally put the fence set off of the property line so they could dump their crap over the fence and still have it on their property. I have gone to the police about this, and they have talked to them about it but do nothing about it. Essentially, they don't want to get involved, as the neighbors claim it's our yard waste and not theirs on our side of the fence.

The neighbors have upped the ante now, as they have taken to collecting their leaves and heaving them on to our side of the fence. Besides the unsightly view of mounds of leaves, they blow all over our yard and then I have to collect and dispose of them myself.

Given all that, what is the appropriate response at this point? Taking whatever they dumped on our side of the fence and flinging it back over into their yard? Leaving them some presents from our dog on their porch or car? Leave a horse's head under their sheets?
Yardapult

PatriotJohn said:
:goodposting:

Yeah, build your own fence. You might want to get a survey to ensure it is completely on your property.

PatriotJohn said:
:thumbup:

Paint the other side something they hate.

Get some fungus that grows on trees in the woods and spread in on the fence. Keep watering the fence. Rot the sucker down

Agree about building your own fence. But also plant some sort of ivy or mint something that really grows out of control along his fence.

I seriously can't believe people do these sort of things.

If it makes you feel any better, I have to get a roach treatment in my house today because one of the other 16 units in my building allegedly has them and can't get rid of them. And its at my expense.

The police may not want to get involved but, depending on where you live, there may be a civic group that handles public nuisance issues like this.

If possible, get video evidence of them dumping it, especially if it's blowing into your yard. Their claim that it's your waste won't hold up if you can prove otherwise.

If that doesn't work, start bagging up the leaves and yard waste and then toss those bags onto the roof of their house. Or fill their mailbox with it. Or build a mound with it on their driveway or right in front of their garage door.

This is why God invented social media. Take a video, post to Facebook, twitter, vine, whatever. Name them and ask your friends to spread it around.

PatriotJohn said:
:goodposting: the only thing I would add is that after you put up your fence, you should dump your yard waste into the no man's land too.

Building a fence is the right answer, unfortunately they'll keep doing it and the pile will grow but at least it'll be somewhat out of sight.

Building a fence is the right answer, unfortunately they'll keep doing it and the pile will grow but at least it'll be somewhat out of sight.
The piles will grow and become compost heaps. Since your fence will be at your property line and the "no mans land" will on theirs start growing weed in the compost heaps then call the cops on them for having a bunch of pot plants in their yard.Schlzm

What kind of fence is it? Wood/metal? How tall?

(I'm picturing it as one with a "bad" side that they naturally built to have that side facing you as well.)

Dig a tunnel under the fence and then when you get to their side, jump out and do something awesome like throw melons with firecrackers at their heads.

The FFA LOVES neighbor issue threads. Way to throw this out there, and disappear. This should set up nicely for a Friday thread. Could turn into a 6 pager in no time. :thumbup:

Pay somebody to clean it up. Then sue them for the cost it took to clean it up in small claims court. Claim it is vandalism. Take some old clothes you never wear and get them dirty with the poop. Take photos. Claim the cost of the clothing as damages as well. I am not an attorney, but I have heard that small claims suits are much easier to win when you are trying to collect actual incurred costs. Include photos of the dog poop. Set up a camera to film the fence line.

If that doesnt work, start lobbing roundup ice cubes onto their property regularly. Sooner or later they will have no lawn left and it would be untraceable to you.

Clean up their mess, document it fully, treat that 6 feet as you own, then make an adverse possession claim on their property. Check you local laws on averse possession.

While building a fence would solve the problem, you shouldn't have to take on that kind of expense. For one, it won't stop them from continuing the trend, and may actually encourage it to continue as now they think they can use that space in between fences for whatever. Secondly, they may view it as escalating the issue.

I had neighbor issues before worse than this, but was already planning to move (and have since). No longer an issue, but I doubt you're already planning to move.

Pay somebody to clean it up. Then sue them for the cost it took to clean it up in small claims court. Claim it is vandalism. Take some old clothes you never wear and get them dirty with the poop. Take photos. Claim the cost of the clothing as damages as well. I am not an attorney, but I have heard that small claims suits are much easier to win when you are trying to collect actual incurred costs. Include photos of the dog poop. Set up a camera to film the fence line.

If that doesnt work, start lobbing roundup ice cubes onto their property regularly. Sooner or later they will have no lawn left and it would be untraceable to you.
Genious!Schlzm

Honestly, I'd just throw the stuff back over their fence. Tell them you will continue to do it until they stop doing the same.

No history between you save for this fence issue? How can this guy look you in the eye and basically say #### you?

Honestly, I'd just throw the stuff back over their fence. Tell them you will continue to do it until they stop doing the same.
This was my thought too, but technically, if it's their property, I don't know if the OP can do this without getting himself in trouble. Of course, if the cops talked to the neighbors already and did nothing, maybe they wouldn't do anything to the OP either. Either way, I'd think it would be a good idea to get the property line measured and marked.

Sorry. Was tied up in a meeting. It's a chain link fence that isn't too too high. Probably like 4 feet tall. They can still see their stuff . . . just on the other side of the fence. Left out one other piece of information that the neighbor claims is huge on his side of the argument. He set his fence like 5 feet off the property line. A zillion years ago when they built the neighborhood, there made a 5 foot wide easement between the property line that runs for like 3/4 of a mile between all the houses to allow access to all the sites for the builders to get to each tract of land. Someone owns that odd shaped piece of land (5 feet by 3/4 of a mile) . . . but it's not me and it's not the neighbor. Neighbor's argument is that 1) he's dumping his stuff on his own property and 2) I don't even own the land that any of it would spill on. Still doesn't change that I have to see the piles of stuff everyday and the wind blows it into my back yard.

No history between you save for this fence issue? How can this guy look you in the eye and basically say #### you?
The couple is old and has been trying to sell their house and move to a warm climate for year. I'm guessing they are in their 70s. But they feel their house is worth way more than anyone else and have not dropped the price. But they still want to keep the property looking nice in case someone might actually want to tour the house, so they are a bit over the top in keeping the yard nice. We don't really know them and other than the dumping stuff over the fence issue haven't really gotten to know them.

Sorry. Was tied up in a meeting. It's a chain link fence that isn't too too high. Probably like 4 feet tall. They can still see their stuff . . . just on the other side of the fence. Left out one other piece of information that the neighbor claims is huge on his side of the argument. He set his fence like 5 feet off the property line. A zillion years ago when they built the neighborhood, there made a 5 foot wide easement between the property line that runs for like 3/4 of a mile between all the houses to allow access to all the sites for the builders to get to each tract of land. Someone owns that odd shaped piece of land (5 feet by 3/4 of a mile) . . . but it's not me and it's not the neighbor. Neighbor's argument is that 1) he's dumping his stuff on his own property and 2) I don't even own the land that any of it would spill on. Still doesn't change that I have to see the piles of stuff everyday and the wind blows it into my back yard.
Technically then, he's not breaking the law I don't think - he's just being a total *******. I'm not sure of any real recourse you could take, aside from your own fence.

The couple is old and has been trying to sell their house and move to a warm climate for year. I'm guessing they are in their 70s. But they feel their house is worth way more than anyone else and have not dropped the price. But they still want to keep the property looking nice in case someone might actually want to tour the house, so they are a bit over the top in keeping the yard nice. We don't really know them and other than the dumping stuff over the fence issue haven't really gotten to know them.
Well hopefully they pass away sooner rather than later. Preferably a murder-suicide. You should suggest they contact their waste company and pay the $10/month or so that it costs to get a yard waste can. Then there's absolutely NO mess whatsoever. No piles of **** behind their chain link, nothing.

All the more reason to go round up ice cubes on them (genius).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread