What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighborhood kids shoveling your driveway (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
Every snow storm my best friend Andy and I would get really excited because once we spent the time shoveling our own driveways, we would knock on doors and shovel others. We would bring home like $50/kid after a long time, but we really went at it.

I've lived in my current house for 7 years. Most of the time I see the man of the house shoveling his own (or snow blower). I rarely see kids doing it for their own homes, and never have been approached my a neighbor kid asking if I would like them to do it.

Tonite a kid rang the door bell with his buddy. Prob 10 or 11 years old. He asks if I'd like them to shovel. I say yeah, how much are you charging? He looks up and down the driveway (I have a pretty long driveway) and says $20.

It usually takes me 1.5-2 hours with 6+ inch snow (like we are getting tonite). So I figure it'll take them 1hr, $10/hr. A bit steep (I'm assuming they aren't reporting :lmao: ). Maybe I should ask for a W9!!!

Anyway, 7 yrs, prob 30-40 considerable snowfalls, this is the first time.

When you were a kid, did you shovel (or mow lawns etc) for cash for neighbors? Do kids in your neighborhood do this anymore? I remember a lot of kids when I was growing up did this. Is it less common now?

Also, if they get hurt, how much legal trouble can I get in?

I did it a few time along with rake leaves. I've lived in my house for 5 years and have never had snow, trash or leaves picked up by a neighbor kid. So I would say no kids don't do this any more.

I just paid the kid. Pointed out a missed spot that he quickly fixed, then said 'Good job. Here you go.'

Him: Thanks!

Me: Sure. You guys gonna work all night?

Him: No. We got school in the morning.

Me: What do your parents think about this?

Him: They encourage it.

Me: Good. In 7 years no one has offered. Do your other friends do this too?

Him: No.

Me: Why not?

Him: :shrug: Electronics...

:lmao:

As I'm walking back into the house...

Him: If you're interested, we do lawns in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, this doesn't happen in my neighborhood (and it's perfect for it here).

I personally think (from my cheap seats childfree view) the reason is kids just don't see the need for spending money. When I was a kid, I was told "wait for your birthday" or "wait for Christmas" if I wanted something like a videogame or whatnot. Or, of course, I could buy it myself with earned money (which I got from shoveling snow, mowing lawns, etc).

But none of my nieces or nephews (or friends kids) need to wait for anything. The new Halo game is released, and the new Halo game is purchased by mom and dad.

No, this doesn't happen in my neighborhood (and it's perfect for it here). I personally think (from my cheap seats childfree view) the reason is kids just don't see the need for spending money. When I was a kid, I was told "wait for your birthday" or "wait for Christmas" if I wanted something like a videogame or whatnot. Or, of course, I could buy it myself with earned money (which I got from shoveling snow, mowing lawns, etc). But none of my nieces or nephews (or friends kids) need to wait for anything. The new Halo game is released, and the new Halo game is purchased by mom and dad.
I don't want to sound like an old man, but how did it get to this? I'm only 30, so it's not like I grew up in the 40s. Maybe it's cause I grew up in a small town (and the kids there are still raised the same as I was).

Good for those kids and good for you. Of course no snow issues here, but in the 14 years in this house I've had a handful of kids come by to mow.

Growing up we never really did this as nearly every house in the neighborhood had kids too.

What my wife and I will do though is if we drive by any kids with a lemonade stand we stop and get a couple of cups.

I'm beginning to outsource some of the snow shoveling of my house and my MiL' s house to one of the neighborhood kids. In 15yrs he's the only one who wants to earn $. Used to do it for extra cash all the way thru college.

We get all kinds of kids coming around peddling goods - popcorn, cookies, coupon books. Some even just straight up ask for cash like "my baseball team's trying to go to Florida" or some crap. Maybe kids are just adapting and are starting to realize that competing against illegals is a dead end job, especially when someone's willing to just give you handouts to spend more time "bettering yourself".

I've seen kids shovel neighbor's walks just to be nice. Never seen kids charge for it. Mine regularly shovel the neighbor's walks for free.

No, this doesn't happen in my neighborhood (and it's perfect for it here). I personally think (from my cheap seats childfree view) the reason is kids just don't see the need for spending money. When I was a kid, I was told "wait for your birthday" or "wait for Christmas" if I wanted something like a videogame or whatnot. Or, of course, I could buy it myself with earned money (which I got from shoveling snow, mowing lawns, etc). But none of my nieces or nephews (or friends kids) need to wait for anything. The new Halo game is released, and the new Halo game is purchased by mom and dad.
I don't want to sound like an old man, but how did it get to this? I'm only 30, so it's not like I grew up in the 40s. Maybe it's cause I grew up in a small town (and the kids there are still raised the same as I was).
Nah, times have changed. Back when we were kids competition was fierce, and if you shoveled on the wrong side of the block you were liable to come home with a busted jaw. Everybody knew the rules. But back then you could just go grab yourself a job out of HS - work real hard and eventually make your way to a cushy job like shift manager. It's different for these kids.

I used to mow lawns in the summer and shovel snow in the winter. No leaves in the fall, though. I hated raking leaves and after I got done helping my parents with that chore I was always pretty fed up with it.

I have never had a kid come ask to shovel in the winter. If they did, I would hire them on the spot just to showy support for being industrious.

Few kids rang my doorbell in the last snowstorm (big one). As they were asking me, cops pull up in an SUV. Kid walks back down the driveway, they all talk to the cops, but their shovels in the back of the truck, and get in, and the cop car drives off.

:shrug:

It's a different world I guess. Though I suspect this was my snooty neighbors calling the cops on a bunch of kids not from the neighborhood...

Few kids rang my doorbell in the last snowstorm (big one). As they were asking me, cops pull up in an SUV. Kid walks back down the driveway, they all talk to the cops, but their shovels in the back of the truck, and get in, and the cop car drives off.:shrug:It's a different world I guess. Though I suspect this was my snooty neighbors calling the cops on a bunch of kids not from the neighborhood...
Wat?

A couple young teens came once. I was on crutches at the time so my wife was going to have to do it anyway, so I said sure, go ahead. There were 3 of them and they had a snow blower and 2 kids with shovels. Quick work. Wish they would come around again sometime, I'd probably pay again if I'm feeling particularly lazy.

Few kids rang my doorbell in the last snowstorm (big one). As they were asking me, cops pull up in an SUV. Kid walks back down the driveway, they all talk to the cops, but their shovels in the back of the truck, and get in, and the cop car drives off.:shrug:It's a different world I guess. Though I suspect this was my snooty neighbors calling the cops on a bunch of kids not from the neighborhood...
Maybe they stole the shovels; what kind of 'hood do you live in anyway?

My driveway is one car width wide and about 25 feet long. Stupid kids with a snowblower wanted $25 to do it a couple of years ago. Told them to go find some other sucker. I don't think anyone in the neighborhood took them up on it.

I don't get the shovelling kids where I live, but that might be because it hardly ever snows and there's no history of that here.

When I was young, however, I was part of a group of boys in the neighborhood that shovelled nearly all the driveways on the street when it snowed. We loved it. And that money seemed like a fortune as a kid. Such great memories.

I loved it so much that a few years ago when my area finally had a blizzard and work was closed for several days, I had nothing to do so I went around shoveling people's cars out. I must have shovelled out fifty cars. Did it for free just to be outside, get some exercise, and relive those glory days.

My family was never stupid enough to live somewhere you have to effing shovel snow off a driveway.

My family was never stupid enough to live somewhere you have to effing shovel snow off a driveway.
I don't know what's the big deal. The snow blower does all the work. Its like cutting your grass. If you're too too lazy to do it, then hire someone.

I don't know what's the big deal. The snow blower does all the work. Its like cutting your grass. If you're too too lazy to do it, then hire someone.
It isn't like cutting your grass. It is cold as hell.
Nah, 30 degrees is nothing.
This is the mindset I'm glad I will never have to have.

It isn't like cutting your grass. It is cold as hell.
Nah, 30 degrees is nothing.
This is the mindset I'm glad I will never have to have.
It gets pretty warm where I'm at as well. I'm much more comfortable snowblowing when its 30 than I am cutting grass when its 90. Luckily its not 90 too often.

Lived in our house a little over two years. Until last week, we had a kid come around only once. But in the past week, these two kids came by twice. I tipped em both times to make sure they came back when there was "real" snow. So those little bastards better be here tuesday!

I just realized I may be the only person in my neighborhood with a snow blower. Blue hairs are gonna be begging. Crap.

We had a HUGE driveway when I was a kid, so after I was finished shoveling ours, I didn't have any energy. We lived in BFE anyway, so it's not like there were neighbors near by.

Here, we live on a cul de sac with 11 houses. All the kids are super coddled. None of them walk to the end of the road to catch the bus. They are all driven by their parents. The oldest one is like 15! They won't LET them walk. It amazes me. I never see them out doing yard work either. Our kid is 7 months old, and I'm already looking forward to the day he's old enough to do some yard work.

That said, I've got my frankenstein snow blower ready to go for this snow...Maybe I should try and make some money with it...

Short Corner said:
Do you wait until it stops coming down? Usually have to do it multiple times a day when we get snow.
Shoveling I don't wait till it's over. Snow blower I wait. I've got a beast

We had a storm that dropped about 8 inches of snow last month. My wife texts me and asks if I want her to call a local kid to come and do the shovelling. I say sure since I have two little kids and my wife prefers that I come home from work and help with them rather than spend 90 minutes shovelling out after a storm.

So she calls a kid who placed an online ad for our community and he actually tells her that he isn't interested because it was too much snow. Kids are pathetic these days....

A neighbor of mine has two kids in Cub Scouts and she gets them out to shovel driveways as part of their Cub Scout stuff of doing good deeds. Of course the driveways are about 15 feet long because these are townhouses, but still...

I've lived in my current home 10 years... one winter i got a kid who wanted to shovel... he did it a few times.. i don't have a big driveway - $20.

I made all my money as a kid mowing lawns (but i didn't shovel snow).. so i can appreciate an entrepreneurial kid.

But they didn't come back the next year so i went ahead and got a snowblower

Users who are viewing this thread