What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbors With Drones (1 Viewer)

An about 30 year old kid across the street who lives with mom and step-dad has recently acquired a drone. He flies it up above his lawn and has line of sight to my backyard. I do not have knowledge that my yard in particular is being viewed or recorded but I am concerned. I have two kids and a redneck pool. 

An about 30 year old kid across the street who lives with mom and step-dad has recently acquired a drone. He flies it up above his lawn and has line of sight to my backyard. I do not have knowledge that my yard in particular is being viewed or recorded but I am concerned. I have two kids and a redneck pool. 
I was this kid, for a few weeks at least until my drone flew away while I was inside.  When I looked down at the drone camera view, all I could see was the wide open blue bay water.  I wasn't trying to spy on neighbors, but you never know.  Maybe this kid has a youtube channel called Redneck Pool Party.  Is the drone out when your wife or kids are swimming?

I was this kid, for a few weeks at least until my drone flew away while I was inside.  When I looked down at the drone camera view, all I could see was the wide open blue bay water.  I wasn't trying to spy on neighbors, but you never know.  Maybe this kid has a youtube channel called Redneck Pool Party.  Is the drone out when your wife or kids are swimming?
He's only had it a couple of days, it was up while I was vacuuming the pool. He must have liked the way I was handling my hose. Seriously though if it is up while my wife and kids are out there I will have a thorough talk with him and his mom. I'm hoping it's just a passing phase, he has/had several of those little gas powered remote controlled cars for a while he would play with in the street. 

Zero chance I'd let this fly (pun slightly intended), especially with your children in the mix.  Tell the "kid" that he can fly his drone at a park.  Or give a good reason why he's flying it so close to your property.

I would love to have neighbors that keep their toys in their yard, or wash their cars in front of my Ring doorbell.

My wife would go nuts.  She walks by ring door bells and insists on announcing "we're on a ring door bell" every time.  I tell her no one GAF what we do or say, but she's a bit of a loon like that. 

She hates drones more.  I should probably start hiding money since she's so concerned about being watched...or perhaps she's a step ahead of me...

My wife would go nuts.  She walks by ring door bells and insists on announcing "we're on a ring door bell" every time.  I tell her no one GAF what we do or say, but she's a bit of a loon like that. 

She hates drones more.  I should probably start hiding money since she's so concerned about being watched...or perhaps she's a step ahead of me...
The drones are coming from inside the house.

Spray paint an old white bed sheet with these words and lay it out on the lawn the next few days.

I BETTER NOT SEE YOUR DRONE WHEN THE WIFE AND KIDS ARE OUTSIDE 

I bet the kid will get the message.

Dezbelief said:
He's only had it a couple of days, it was up while I was vacuuming the pool. He must have liked the way I was handling my hose. Seriously though if it is up while my wife and kids are out there I will have a thorough talk with him and his mom. I'm hoping it's just a passing phase, he has/had several of those little gas powered remote controlled cars for a while he would play with in the street. 

LOL @ "passing phase".  He's had "several gas powered remote controlled cars for a while."

This means he has few friends and god bless him but this is an even newer, way cooler, more exciting toy.  And its cousin is taking part in real-life war games.

Guaranteed that thing is coming up and out near your yard/pool this summer like it's the Goodyear Blimp.  Best of luck but no way he stops flying that thing.

I mean you are a Dallas fan, you local? The whole damn metro area is nearly a class bravo airspace.  You claim he is popping the bravo and they will knock on his door like today.  

I mean you are a Dallas fan, you local? The whole damn metro area is nearly a class bravo airspace.  You claim he is popping the bravo and they will knock on his door like today.  
I'm a couple hours West. There's a small airport that's close, maybe a quarter mile. It's mostly single engine personal aircraft with a couple runways dedicated to Fedex.

Thanks @culdeusand @VandyManwe are definitely in a no fly zone for recreational drone pilots and a restricted area for licensed drone pilots. I will keep this info in my back pocket. So far I have only observed the drone keeping the eye in the sky stationary flight twice. Once was at night which I'm assuming was to watch a lightning storm in the distance, the other  was while I was in the pool solo. He's flown it a few times below roof level around the cul-de-sac. There was one flight last night where he quickly zipped around a couple backyards and was the first time I observed him flying with the drone out of his line of sight. I have warned the wife and kids about the drone. 

James Daulton said:

Uh, why? Or put differently, what's the (bad) logic?

Thanks @culdeusand @VandyManwe are definitely in a no fly zone for recreational drone pilots and a restricted area for licensed drone pilots. I will keep this info in my back pocket. So far I have only observed the drone keeping the eye in the sky stationary flight twice. Once was at night which I'm assuming was to watch a lightning storm in the distance, the other  was while I was in the pool solo. He's flown it a few times below roof level around the cul-de-sac. There was one flight last night where he quickly zipped around a couple backyards and was the first time I observed him flying with the drone out of his line of sight. I have warned the wife and kids about the drone. 
You could narc him out to the faa or sheriff, but that's probably overboard.  The kid just got it, give him a few weeks and he will get bored of seeing the same stuff around his house.  He's probably just putting it up and taking pictures of the skyline.  Unless he has a larger tablet, you can't see people or property very well during the flight.  He would need to be recording gigs of video or taking a ton of pictures, then checking them out on a desktop.  If all else fails, a paintball gun is the best defense.

I’m with you, OP. Drones don’t sit right with me when you consider they are able to record someone just chilling in their back yard. Invasion of privacy, imo.

I’m with you, OP. Drones don’t sit right with me when you consider they are able to record someone just chilling in their back yard. Invasion of privacy, imo.
I think you guys are blowing this a bit out of proportion, lol.  Wouldn't it be the same thing as him sitting in his 2nd story bedroom with the zoom and video recording on his iphone of you guys in your backyard laying there?    Kid probably hasn't thought twice about wanting to film you and your family milling around the yard.   He just got a new toy, let him enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you guys are blowing this a bit out of proportion, lol.  Wouldn't it be the same thing as him sitting in his 2nd story bedroom with the zoom and video recording on his iphone of you guys in your backyard laying there?    Kid probably hasn't thought twice about wanting to film you and your family milling around the yard.   He just got a new toy, let him enjoy.
People put up high hedges and privacy fences for a reason (which block views from a 2nd story). Drones get around that. 

I think you guys are blowing this a bit out of proportion, lol. 

Kid probably hasn't thought twice about wanting to film you and your family milling around the yard.   He just got a new toy.
Yep. People are nutty about this stuff. I fly my drone at the beach sometimes at low tide to look for structure and rip currents to fish. I have zero interest in what you or your family is doing out there. 

Users who are viewing this thread