What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Bills HC (1 Viewer)

No link yet...I'd imagine within the next 15-30 minutes we'll find one somewhere.
Jauron Arrives In Buffalo

Jeff Morrison - Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:23 PM

While it is not official, it appears as though the Bill's have chosen the man to replace Mike Mularkey.

Former Bear's head coach and Lion's interim coach **** Jauron arrived in Buffalo about 3 Sunday afternoon. Jauron was accompanied by his wife and told WGR Sportsradio 550,"it's great to be here."

Jauron was Chicago's head coach from 1999 thru 2003. In 2001, Jauron was named the NFL Coach of The Year after the Bears went 13 and 3.

Jauron started his pro coaching career in Buffalo back in 1985 when he as a defensive backs coach assistant. He spent the last two years in Detroit as defensive coordinator. But he was the interim head coach the last five games after the firing of Steve Mariucci.

The Bills had narrowed the search to Jauron or Mike Sherman, the former Packers head coach.

Reached at home in Green Bay late Sunday, Sherman told WGR Sportsradio 550, "no comment."

The Bills are expected to officially introduce their new head coach early this coming week.

http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=1345

this was apparently announced on local news in Buffalo, but hasn't been made official yetI lived in Chicago through the Jauron era and his biggest drawback was that he wasn't willing to step in when it was clear John Shoop could not run an effective NFL offense. I'm very glad they didn't go with Capers, but would have preferred to see a Sherman/Bates combo brought in.The fans are not going to be happy about this hire at all.I hope Marv knows what he's doing here, and I hope they can find a good offensive coordinator.

this was apparently announced on local news in Buffalo, but hasn't been made official yet

I lived in Chicago through the Jauron era and his biggest drawback was that he wasn't willing to step in when it was clear John Shoop could not run an effective NFL offense. I'm very glad they didn't go with Capers, but would have preferred to see a Sherman/Bates combo brought in.

The fans are not going to be happy about this hire at all.

I hope Marv knows what he's doing here, and I hope they can find a good offensive coordinator.
Aaron, with Levy/Jauron replacing Donahoe/Mularkey, does this in your opinion reduce Losman's chances of being the "QB of the future" since the new guys weren't responsible for the pick trade and draft? Does Holcomb have a legit chance of starting next year? And what of Moulds' status now - have things changed? Or, does all of this still depend on who is brought in as OC?

This is great news in my book.I honestly don't think it's a terrible hire for Buffalo. There is nothing to get excited about, but I don't think he's the type to just crash and burn. It's not like they hired Wannstedt.What excites me is that Bates won't be DC there necessarily. I hope he goes to the Rams because I think he'd fit nicely with Linehan. I'm even more excited that it wasn't Capers because now he'll hopefully consider the offer of a coaching job Saban made to him. I have to think that's the DC job and that Richard Smith would slide over to become special teams coach.

With Bellichick being the notable exception, how many HCs have come with as bad a track record as Jauron and found success with a different team?Wannstedt is the best example I can think of.

With Bellichick being the notable exception, how many HCs have come with as bad a track record as Jauron and found success with a different team?

Wannstedt is the best example I can think of.
Marv Levy only had one winning season in KC.

this was apparently announced on local news in Buffalo, but hasn't been made official yet

I lived in Chicago through the Jauron era and his biggest drawback was that he wasn't willing to step in when it was clear John Shoop could not run an effective NFL offense. I'm very glad they didn't go with Capers, but would have preferred to see a Sherman/Bates combo brought in.

I hope Marv knows what he's doing here, and I hope they can find a good offensive coordinator.
Aaron, with Levy/Jauron replacing Donahoe/Mularkey, does this in your opinion reduce Losman's chances of being the "QB of the future" since the new guys weren't responsible for the pick trade and draft? Does Holcomb have a legit chance of starting next year? And what of Moulds' status now - have things changed? Or, does all of this still depend on who is brought in as OC?
I'm not sure of anything anymore regarding this franchise. Personally, I think its too early to give up on Losman as I thought he showed some good progress up until the game against New England. There are reports that he didn't have a lot of support from his fellow players though so he's got a ways to go still in terms of becoming a guy that the team can believe in.I think the franchise has committed enough in him already (1st, 2nd, and 5th round picks plus dumping Bledsoe, etc.) that he will get a good chance to start again this year. But, I suppose if he struggles again, the team may not stick with him too much longer since its a whole new power structure in place. I could definitely see Levy and Jauron having a preference towards working with more veteran players so Holcomb may have an edge there.

It probably depends on who they bring in as OC and what kind of offense he wants to run. There will likely be a competition in training camp to determine the starter. I just don't think of Holcomb as any kind of long term solution...he's a decent QB with solid accuracy who can manage an offense, but he lacks great arm strength and is old.

As for Moulds, it appears as though he would need to accept a renegotiated contract and significant pay cut to return. It may happen, but it probably depends on how much he thinks he can get elsewhere and how much of a cut the Bills ask him to take.

With Bellichick being the notable exception, how many HCs have come with as bad a track record as Jauron and found success with a different team?

He won a COY award. What are we using to define a bad track record?

Marv Levy got edgimicated at Harvard.**** Jauron at Yale.They'll have the smartest management team for a crappy team in the NFL next season.When does John Shoop get named Offensive Coordinator?If Jauron was smart - and Russ Grimm was smart - Grimm would be the Offensive Coordinator. He's never going to go from O-Line/TE Coach to Head Coach - so he needs to make the natural progression.

One winning season out of 5+ maybe

He's 36-49 lifetime, and got that one big fluke winning season with Chicago. It's hard to have a much worse track record.

I'll tell the Bills fan this: If the choice came down to Capers, Sherman, or Jauron, your team chose the right one out of the three. I have to think there was somebody better out there, but this isn't the biggest disaster I could have imagined.

He's 36-49 lifetime, and got that one big fluke winning season with Chicago. It's hard to have a much worse track record.
He had several bad years, but it's hard to deny that he had one excellent year. It's not like the Bears were loaded with talent when he was there.

Still just reminds me of an STD...as in...I went down to the Phillipines...got set up with a great hooker...but came down with a bad case of **** jauron.I guess it is better than getting the #### trickle...

Last edited by a moderator:
He had several bad years, but it's hard to deny that he had one excellent year. It's not like the Bears were loaded with talent when he was there.
I think we can all agree there was much better available.

Oh, I don't know, the fact that he's been fired twice now? The fact that his offensive teams are, well, offensive? Folks have already mentioned his career record, including the fluke 13-3 season...he's the worst type of a retread.Did Buffalo adhear to the rules and actually interview a minority coaching candidate? The NFL should be ashamed that it continues this charade...

Did Buffalo adhear to the rules and actually interview a minority coaching candidate?  The NFL should be ashamed that it continues this charade...
I believe they interviewed James Lofton.

Did Buffalo adhear to the rules and actually interview a minority coaching candidate? The NFL should be ashamed that it continues this charade...
yes, 2 minority candidates were interviewed

Why was Jauron's 13-3 season a fluke? And when does a coach get credit for a team outperforming expectations?

I'll tell the Bills fan this:

If the choice came down to Capers, Sherman, or Jauron, your team chose the right one out of the three. I have to think there was somebody better out there, but this isn't the biggest disaster I could have imagined.
Keep on :banned: dude.

If this is indeed true I will be so pissed off at the Bills organization. I live in Buffalo and it is now clear that we are nothing more than a joke to the rest of the NFL. I stinkin' hate this darn team. (maybe I should have waited to calm down before I posted)

Why was Jauron's 13-3 season a fluke? And when does a coach get credit for a team outperforming expectations?
+--------------+----------+| Reg. Season | Playoffs |

+----------+--------------+----------+

| Year TM | W L T | W L |

| 1999 chi | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

| 2000 chi | 5 11 0 | 0 0 |

| 2001 chi | 13 3 0 | 0 1 |

| 2002 chi | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |

| 2003 chi | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |

| 2005 det | 1 4 0 | 0 0 |

| TOTALS | 36 49 0 | 0 1 |

An abberation from the norm is considered a fluke, therfore, a season of 13-3 is a fluke season. Even with that ONE season of 10 games over .500, you can see his career is 13 games UNDER .500. And that is a bad record...

An abberation from the norm is considered a fluke, therfore, a season of 13-3 is a fluke season. Even with that ONE season of 10 games over .500, you can see his career is 13 games UNDER .500. And that is a bad record...
An abberation from the norm is considered a fluke?Interesting definition there. Regardless, even if you consider the Bears 2001 season as a fluke, that doesn't mean Jauron's work was a fluke.

An abberation from the norm is considered a fluke?Interesting definition there. Regardless, even if you consider the Bears 2001 season as a fluke, that doesn't mean Jauron's work was a fluke.
fluke3 Audio pronunciation of "fluke" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flk)n.

1. A stroke of good luck.

2. A chance occurrence; an accident.

3. Games. An accidentally good or successful stroke in billiards or pool.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fluke

I believe that either one of the first 2 definitions would suffice as well...

I hope that you're happy about the hiring, it seems that you are. But you're not getting Bill Belichick here...this is a guy who's proven as stubborn in his 6th season as he was in his 1st. I don't see the big learning curve there, but I could be wrong...

What an abysmal hire, absolutely horrific. Jauron has just about proven he's mediocre at best. Dare I say it won't be long before we see a Jauron/Shoop reunion? :lmao:

I'm now officially embarassed to be a fan of this team. What a freaking joke this organization has become. Any chance of Bill Polian becoming available?

fluke3 Audio pronunciation of "fluke" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flk)n.

1. A stroke of good luck.

2. A chance occurrence; an accident.

3. Games. An accidentally good or successful stroke in billiards or pool.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fluke

I believe that either one of the first 2 definitions would suffice as well...

I hope that you're happy about the hiring, it seems that you are. But you're not getting Bill Belichick here...this is a guy who's proven as stubborn in his 6th season as he was in his 1st. I don't see the big learning curve there, but I could be wrong...
I hope we see Jauron fall on his face like everyone predicts. I'm just trying to see the other side.

Jauron isnt as bad as hes being made out to be. The players loved him and played hard for him every week. His downfall was because of 2 things, one of which was his fault, the other not so much.1 His loyalty (to a fault) to John Shoop. He had a couple of offseasons to make a change at the OC position but wouldnt, even when there was supposed pressure from management to do so. His fault, no doubt2 Angelo didnt want him...he wanted to hire his own guy. He basically had to give him the extension after the coach of the year season. The offseasons since Jauron was fired have been so different, in terms of improving the team than when he was here. Jauron and Shoop wanted Plummer, Angelo got them Kordell. He never did a thing to fix a disgusting o-line. He let Colvin go. He let Tony Parrish go. He traded big Ted, the anchor of the d-line for a day 2 pick. Jauron is a good guy and a good football coach. I hope he does good in Buffalo

Jauron isnt as bad as hes being made out to be. The players loved him and played hard for him every week. His downfall was because of 2 things, one of which was his fault, the other not so much.

1 His loyalty (to a fault) to John Shoop. He had a couple of offseasons to make a change at the OC position but wouldnt, even when there was supposed pressure from management to do so. His fault, no doubt

2 Angelo didnt want him...he wanted to hire his own guy. He basically had to give him the extension after the coach of the year season. The offseasons since Jauron was fired have been so different, in terms of improving the team than when he was here. Jauron and Shoop wanted Plummer, Angelo got them Kordell. He never did a thing to fix a disgusting o-line. He let Colvin go. He let Tony Parrish go. He traded big Ted, the anchor of the d-line for a day 2 pick.

Jauron is a good guy and a good football coach. I hope he does good in Buffalo
It's nice to see that somebody else remembers what was going on in Chicago back in those days. Jauron almost certainly wasn't the best man for this job, but he was better than the other names the Bills FO had thrown about.

Glad to see an AFC East team other than the Fins get an ex-Bear coach....Hopefully he will be a better fit for you guys than Dave :bag: was for us.....

Just to add a small bright side, at least you can say that the Lions played better under Jauron than they did Mooch this year.

Marv is clueless IMO, the Bills are a complete trainwreck.It's been reported that Ralph wanted Mike Sherman, and Marv wanted his homer pick in Jauron. Sherman, while not sexy, certainly was the far better pick IMO for several reasons, #1 being his Pro Personal experience as former GM of the Pack (help Marv is going to sorely need), 2 because he was a pretty decent HC in GB, and 3, because he actually wanted to draft JP Losman with the Packers, and the Bills moved up ahead of them to get him. If anyone could have made something of JP, it would have been Sherman.

Nothing that has transpired in the last 6 years, and most recent 2 months or so surrounding the Bills has made me want to continue to be a fan. Honestly, I've come to hate them. Hell, hate may not be a strong enough emotion.

I'm now officially embarassed to be a fan of this team. What a freaking joke this organization has become.

Any chance of Bill Polian becoming available?
:goodposting: I suggest you outright become a former fan. That's what I've done. Loyalty to your home town be damned. The organization sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread