What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Broncos FF strategy (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
How many pts would an all Bronco lineup have in your league...

Manning, moreno, ball, thomas, welker, decker, thomas, prater, denver d?

Yeah youre guaranteed one loss but thats gotta be the #1 scoring team, no?

You would do well at QB and WR that's for sure.

Probably fall too far off at RB and TE tho to actually win like that.

How many pts would an all Bronco lineup have in your league...

Manning, moreno, ball, thomas, welker, decker, thomas, prater, denver d?

Yeah youre guaranteed one loss but thats gotta be the #1 scoring team, no?
If they play the Raiders every week yes

You couldn't get them all, anyway. Even if they all have values in different rounds, others will want a piece of this offense.

You couldn't get them all, anyway. Even if they all have values in different rounds, others will want a piece of this offense.
Actually if you had the 3rd or 4th pick in a 12 team redraft you could have.

Charles Martin or McCoy first

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

Decker in the 5th you might have been able to wait a round but to secure it.

J. Thomas in the 12th

Broncos D in the 14th and Prater in the 15th

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

Yes, not arguing that. I am saying that someone else will surely take a Bronco before you get to hoard all of them.

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

Yes, not arguing that. I am saying that someone else will surely take a Bronco before you get to hoard all of them.
I don't get what your saying. Are you trying to say that someone will try to get a Bronco earlier because they saw that you drafted a bunch of Broncos? Because you could realistically get all of those guys at the beginning of the season.

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

I don't get what your saying. Are you trying to say that someone will try to get a Bronco earlier because they saw that you drafted a bunch of Broncos? Because you could realistically get all of those guys at the beginning of the season.
I just think it's implausible for you to get all of those Broncos without someone else taking one of them. :shrug:

Is it possible? Sure. Unlikely though, I would guess.

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

I just think it's implausible for you to get all of those Broncos without someone else taking one of them. :shrug:

I disagree, I would say there is a better than 50% chance of being able to pull that combo off unless someone else had a hard-on for Manning and took him before the early 3rd.

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

That's what auctions are for. :)

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

I'm not big on auctions, but wouldn't that be even more difficult than doing it in a regular draft? Lots of high-dollar guys there.

In my wife's family league (just for talking trash at Thanksgiving and Christmas no money involved) we had a guy draft the following team:

Rodgers

Cobb

Nelson

James Jones

Finley

Crosby

GB D

I know it may not be the best example since it isn't for money but still this guy is 2-1 with his first loss coming this week. He also has CJ0K, and Ridley as his starting RBs.

He tried to trade my wife CJ for Lacy but she declined.

I have no idea how he actually pulled this off without anyone noticing til the end but it is possible just have to get real lucky (and play in a free league :P )...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I went with that strategy...just picked the wrong team. My starters:

Kaepernick, Boldin, Gore, Vernon Davis, SF DEF (plus some other WR, RB, and K)

Needless to say I blew my league away Week 1. Also needless to say, I am now 1-2. :topcat:

But I don't see any reason why this strategy can't work with a high-scoring team. Diversification, schmiversification. Even the bye week isn't all that bad, because I was able to get a bunch of Chargers as backups for the Week 9 bye when San Diego plays Washington. I should also mention that my league has a monetary payout for high score each week, so concentrating on one team can pay off in that sense as well.

Actually if you had the 3rd or 4th pick in a 12 team redraft you could have.Charles Martin or McCoy first

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

I'm not big on auctions, but wouldn't that be even more difficult than doing it in a regular draft? Lots of high-dollar guys there.
:lmao: This really isn't that complicated, RN

Needless to say I blew my league away Week 1. Also needless to say, I am now 1-2. :topcat:

But I don't see any reason why this strategy can't work with a high-scoring team. Diversification, schmiversification. Even the bye week isn't all that bad, because I was able to get a bunch of Chargers as backups for the Week 9 bye when San Diego plays Washington. I should also mention that my league has a monetary payout for high score each week, so concentrating on one team can pay off in that sense as well.
I decided it's time to pick an avatar photo. I'm going with this Kapper lowlight special until either the 49ers or my fantasy team win another game. Then I'll switch to a better one (hopefully this season).

At some point, having a large number of players from one team can actually result in a certain level of consistency. To truly explode as a fantasy team, it's helpful to have multiple RB/WR/TEs scoring multiple TDs, along with a strong QB performance. That becomes hard to do when you own 4-5 players from the same offense.

Obviously a week with a ton of FGs would be bad, but if you have three different receivers on a high scoring offense, you stand to get more than half of the TD receptions each week. If you can also combine that with a RB, then you get even a higher percentage of the overall TDs. I know that past studies by Doug Drinen on this site (I used to have the link handy) have shown that a QB/RB combo can lead to more consistency and less variance (as can owning 2 receivers from the same team), while QB/WR combinations lead to greater variance.

The bottom line is that it's always a good strategy to select players from good offensive teams. Whether or not they are from the same offensive team is not as important as if they are from GOOD offensive teams.

I decided it's time to pick an avatar photo. I'm going with this Kapper lowlight special until either the 49ers or my fantasy team win another game. Then I'll switch to a better one (hopefully this season).
Is it a lowlight because of the Dolphins hat or because it's image is reversed?

Not true. I debated doing that in one of my auctions, but ultimately did not. Based on the going costs, I figured it would have costed me about this much:

30+ for Peyton

80+ for the three WRS (around 40 or so for Demaryious, 20-25 for Welker, and 15-18 for Decker)

1 or 2 for Julius Thomas (I got him for $1 in five leagues)

That is about $115 for the main five, which would have left more than enough to get a couple of solid RBs, some cheap sleeper WRs, Prater for a dollar, and the Denver D for a buck or two. It was more than doable. I wish I would have done it now. :no:

Not true. I debated doing that in one of my auctions, but ultimately did not. Based on the going costs, I figured it would have costed me about this much:

30+ for Peyton

80+ for the three WRS (around 40 or so for Demaryious, 20-25 for Welker, and 15-18 for Decker)

1 or 2 for Julius Thomas (I got him for $1 in five leagues)

That is about $115 for the main five, which would have left more than enough to get a couple of solid RBs, some cheap sleeper WRs, Prater for a dollar, and the Denver D for a buck or two. It was more than doable. I wish I would have done it now. :no:
That would have been incredible. I'm guessing that strategy will cost more next season. :)

Good eye for detail! I intentionally went with the reversed image that Kap originally posted on Twitter. Some news outlets later corrected the image.

Good eye for detail! I intentionally went with the reversed image that Kap originally posted on Twitter. Some news outlets later corrected the image.
Sweet. While I was aware of the "incident" for lack of a better word, and of course how overblown it was, I didn't know it was originally reversed. Thanks for the info. I like the av.

DT in the second

Peyton in the third

Welker in the 4th

J. Thomas in the 12th

I disagree, I would say there is a better than 50% chance of being able to pull that combo off unless someone else had a hard-on for Manning and took him before the early 3rd.
Manning was 1st QB off of ythe board in my league...late scond...guy wanated to take him in the first, but gambled on 2nd...but moist keagues he was a 3rd

A guy in my league has Romo, Demarco, Miles, Witten, Dallas kicker and defense. 2nd highest points in the league after 3 weeks.

Just crunched the #s in one of my leagues. The All Bronco lineup I mentioned in post 1 wouldve scored 410 pts so far which would be 1st in the league. 2nd place team would be 382

Rove! said:
was somebody really going to grab Decker in the 5th just so he can have a Bronco?
If you wanted to make sure you had the entire offense you just might, but in really it was for arguments sake.

I wish I had one team with every Denver skill-position player, just for giggles. As it is, I have a couple teams with several and I am not complaining thus far. Week 9 will be a bear, though.

I hate to say it, but I'm playing in a league where someone actually did this. Drafting in the 10 spot in a 10 team league their draft went...

10. Manning

11. Demaryius Thomas

30. Wes Welker

31. Montee Ball (someone else took Decker at 43)

50. Matt Prater

51. Ronnie Hillman

70. Broncos D/ST

71. Julius Thomas

90. Knowshon Moreno

Then they filled out the bench with players from other teams. The team is 3-1 and leading the league in points. And it isn't even that close. Gotta say, one of the most frustrating teams to play because of how well this ridiculous strategy is working.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say it, but I'm playing in a league where someone actually did this. Drafting in the 10 spot in a 10 team league there draft went...

10. Manning

11. Demaryius Thomas

30. Wes Welker

50. Matt Prater

51. Ronnie Hillman

70. Broncos D/ST

71. Julius Thomas

90. Knowshon Moreno

Then they filled out the bench with players from other teams. The team is 3-1 and leading the league in points. And it isn't even that close. Gotta say, one of the most frustrating teams to play because of how well this ridiculous strategy is working.
A little early for Prater, but overall I like it. . . I'm guessing this is a 6-pt for passing TD league if Manning went that early.

I hate to say it, but I'm playing in a league where someone actually did this. Drafting in the 10 spot in a 10 team league there draft went...

10. Manning

11. Demaryius Thomas

30. Wes Welker

50. Matt Prater

51. Ronnie Hillman

70. Broncos D/ST

71. Julius Thomas

90. Knowshon Moreno

A little early for Prater, but overall I like it. . . I'm guessing this is a 6-pt for passing TD league if Manning went that early.
It's 4-points per passing TD. They definitely didn't execute it perfectly, but it's working.

I ended up with Manning, Moreno, Welker, Julius, and Prater in my local league. Didn't plan it that way, it just happened. About to be 4-0.

this thread is pointless... It's to late now to do that and it's not like you would be able to get them all in a draft unless you were in a 6 team league with kindergartners.... wtf are these useless threads...

this thread is pointless... It's to late now to do that and it's not like you would be able to get them all in a draft unless you were in a 6 team league with kindergartners.... wtf are these useless threads...
Let me guess...you lost your matchup this week? Someone sure is cranky.

My brother and I were discussing the validity of Manning #1 overall. I said in hindsight, yes, easily worth it thus far. However, in several leagues, we paired Manning with Peterson and a stud WR.

Once league, I went DT, Welker, Manning, and Hillman. It is a draftmaster (best ball). I am winning by 60 points overall after 4 weeks. In that league, I have Peterson as well.

Wondering if the Broncos can finish with the No. 1 FF player at each skill position (Orange Julius will need another catchless game from Jimmy Graham at TE)..

Unlikely, but not impossible.

Wondering if the Broncos can finish with the No. 1 FF player at each skill position (Orange Julius will need another catchless game from Jimmy Graham at TE)..

QB - would need a slump/sit from Peyton in addition to a Brees/Rivers/Romo miracle

WR - definitely possible, especially after Julio's injury

RB - I can't see Moreno finishing #1, but that's probably because I couldn't even see myself taking him where he went...I still give the nod to Charles/Shady/Lynch, but we'll see

TE - I'd still take Graham or Cameron to finish #1, but it will definitely be close

Guy in one of my leagues drafted pretty much all NE players in 2011 and he rode that team to a championship. He had Brady, Green-Ellis, Welker, Hernandez, Gronk, Gostkowski, DEF...and snagged Julio Jones late.

For years, he would be ridiculed for being such a homer. However, no one was laughing at him that year when he absolutely dominated the league.

To doyler, I'd be concerned that Weeden will cause a decline in Cameron's production.

It's a longshot for Orange Julius, but he's in the conversation for No. 1. How many FF players would have thought that in the preseason?

Guy in my league drafted Ryan, Julio, Gonzalez, and Bryant ... and he's not even a Falcons fan. He started off 5-0 and then got absolutely killed last week when Atlanta was on bye. And with Julio out now, his strategy isn't looking nearly as smart (he does have Calvin, but his RBs are horrible -- and no, he didn't draft SJax).

QB - would need a slump/sit from Peyton in addition to a Brees/Rivers/Romo miracle

WR - definitely possible, especially after Julio's injury

RB - I can't see Moreno finishing #1, but that's probably because I couldn't even see myself taking him where he went...I still give the nod to Charles/Shady/Lynch, but we'll see

TE - I'd still take Graham or Cameron to finish #1, but it will definitely be close
I agree that it's unlikely but possible right across the board. You can even add Prater to the list above. And at WR, you have Welker and Thomas both competing in the top 10 right now. The main reason why this can't happen though is that VD is going to run away with the #1 TE spot.

Users who are viewing this thread