What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New England @ Pittsburgh (1 Viewer)

Who will win?

• Patriots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steelers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
their points scored & allowed.

----------

Patriots (4th offense, 6th defense) 4+6 = 10

Steelers (10th offense, 2nd defense) 10+2 = 12

Translation: Both are quality teams according to these numbers. Note week 17 was thrown out because so many teams rested starters.

Offensive/Defensive Efficienies:

-----------

O:Patriots 5474 yards, 416 points = 13.16

D:Patriots 4654 yards, 253 points = 18.40

O:Steelers 5157 yards, 343 points = 15.03

D:Steelers 3867 yards, 227 points = 17.04

Translation: The Patriots are more efficient on BOTH sides of the ball. Teams that hold such an advantage on their opponent in conference title games are 10-2 in the last 14 years. The two losses are the 98 Vikings to the Falcons and the 03 Eagles to the Panthers. Such teams are also a perfect 7-0 in super bowls in the last 14 years. So the Steelers are up against a 17-2 number at this stage of the playoffs or later.

----------

Ints-Ints Thrown

----------

Patriots 20-13 = +7

Steelers 18-11 = +7

A wash.

As I said last week, I would pick the Patriots OR the Colts to beat the Steelers in this game, and I see no reason to change my prediction. True, the Steelers beat the Patriots in mid-season 34-20. However, Ben Roethlisberger wasn't struggling then and he is now with 4 TDs and 7INTs in his last 4 games. The Patriots have Dillon this time when he was injured in the first meeting at Heinz Field. Dillon is having a career year. And lastly, Belihick as head coach of the Patriots is 13-0 when facing a QB for the second time. Those QBs have an cumulative total of 10TDs and 21INTs. And Belichick will get to break down the Jets game film...

Pick: Patriots

After watching what the Jets are doing, the Patriots might be able to have some success vs. the Steelers offense. Attacking the Steelers defense though, that is a different story.

I sure hope we can make some adjustments and look like the team that we saw in the regular 16 game season (and not the group of ####pants who took the field vs the Jets). I think any fan of either the Patsies or the Stillers who is being honest with themselves will have to admit that these teams match up tremendously well and that each team should be worried about the other. This should be one for the ages. :football: Here's hoping we can reverse the trend of home field AFCC games. :stillers:

I sure hope we can make some adjustments and look like the team that we saw in the regular 16 game season (and not the group of ####pants who took the field vs the Jets). I think any fan of either the Patsies or the Stillers who is being honest with themselves will have to admit that these teams match up tremendously well and that each team should be worried about the other. This should be one for the ages. :football: Here's hoping we can reverse the trend of home field AFCC games. :stillers:
Should be an outstanding game.

Gonna be one hard hitting game. I give the edge to the Pats only because I think Brady outplays Big Ben. But I think it'll be close either way.

Many thought the Colts would be the team to win on the road....Wrong!But my Patriots will show the Colts how a real team gets it done on the road!Pats 24 - Steelers 17

It'll come down to turnovers. Tough sledding for Dillon, but BB will mix it up with the Faulkmeister as he did today. The game against the Jets does NOT forbode well for the Stihlers, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. I'm not happy about having to play at ketchup field, but the Stihlers beat us straight up, so they get the honors.At least the two best teams in the AFC are playing each other.Interesting how both the Eagles and the Falcons looked really good this weekend. Of course the teams they played were not balanced football teams and having suspect coaching, but even so, the cream does rise to the top. :football:

I'm surprised Pittsburgh is the underdog at home. 15-1, at home and they've blown out the team they're playing earlier in the year. I expect that line to come down to at least a pick'em game or Pitts. giving a little.

I'm surprised Pittsburgh is the underdog at home. 15-1, at home and they've blown out the team they're playing earlier in the year. I expect that line to come down to at least a pick'em game or Pitts. giving a little.
Study your history. I could see the line tilting a point or two more in the Pats favor, depending on action accumulated during the week. The Stihlers have some ghosts to exorcise to move on to the SB. They've got the capability to do it, but to be the man, you've got to beat the man. In the playoffs, not in regular season. :football:

The line started at Patriots -3 and dropped to -2 quickly.

They've got the capability to do it, but to be the man, you've got to beat the man.
My avatar's attorney would like to speak to you...something about copyright infringement. :D :brush: ;)

I'm shocked, but at the same time I understand. 2001 still rings very loud in the minds of the gamblers and after the Jets game the fans will be interested to see what is going on with Big Ben.

Pats 24Steelers 20Looking forward to a terrific game :thumbup: Will be everything the Superbowl won't be....competitive
Don't sell the NFC short. I think the Falcons and Eagles could suprise us all.

Pats 24Steelers 20Looking forward to a terrific game :thumbup: Will be everything the Superbowl won't be....competitive
Philly vs. AFC: 2-2Atlanta vs. AFC: 3-1Advantage: NFCMany sold the Panthers short last year and it ended up being one of the most competitive Super Bowls ever.I think we're in for a treat this year with the top 2 teams duking it out in each conference. No more blowouts :football:

Philly vs. AFC: 2-2Atlanta vs. AFC: 3-1Advantage: NFCMany sold the Panthers short last year and it ended up being one of the most competitive Super Bowls ever.I think we're in for a treat this year with the top 2 teams duking it out in each conference. No more blowouts :football:
Pitt already gave the donkey treatment to philly this year, and that was with Owens. Pitt owns them.

The AFC is going to destroy the NFC in the superbowl. Philly and Atlanta looked much better than they really are since they got to demolish two 8-8 teams.I think the Steelers can win, and hope they do... but I think the Pats should be favored. The Steelers got "lucky" against the Jets and the Pats just shut down the best offense in the history of the NFL. The one thing that bothers me about this game is that EVERYTHING went the Steeler's way in the first meeting and that game will have no impact on this one, except to possibly give the Pats that little extra motivation (not that they need it). The key is going to be for the Steelers to run the ball much more often in the first half than they did this past week against the Jets... if Ben only throws 15 passes I'll be a happy man. It's harder to come up with some exotic scheme against a smash mouth running team than against a passing team, so I hope that works in the Steeler's favor.It should be a great game.

Both conferences feature the top 2 seeds in their title games. This has occured 5 previous times in the past 14 seasons:1990, 1991, 1994, 1998, 2002Both home teams one only once - in 1991. The Bills beat the Broncos 10-7, and the Redskins beat the Lions 41-10.The #1 seeds in each conference have met in the super bowl only twice in the last 14 years - 1991 and 1993. The Bills lost both - to the Redskins 37-24 and then to the Cowboys 30-13.

It'll come down to turnovers. Tough sledding for Dillon, but BB will mix it up with the Faulkmeister as he did today. The game against the Jets does NOT forbode well for the Stihlers, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. I'm not happy about having to play at ketchup field, but the Stihlers beat us straight up, so they get the honors.At least the two best teams in the AFC are playing each other.Interesting how both the Eagles and the Falcons looked really good this weekend. Of course the teams they played were not balanced football teams and having suspect coaching, but even so, the cream does rise to the top. :football:
I think you are right, turnovers will be a huge factor and I think special teams will be a deciding factor as well. Special teams is what won the 2001 AFCC game for the Pats over the Steelers. Biggest play of that game is when the Pats blocked a chip shot field goal and ran it back for a TD. That was a 10 point swing that was huge. The Patriots also got a punt return TD from Troy Brown and a relief appearance from Bledsoe that was very impressive. Watching the Jets game this week I felt like I was watching the 2001 AFCC game all over again. I really thought the Steelers would lose and I'm sure if we make that many mistakes against New England they will lose. Anyone think that Vinatieri would miss those field goals that Brien missed? I sure don't. But, if both teams play a mistake free game and special teams are even I really like the Steelers chances. I liked the Steelers chances much better before I watched the Jets game. The Pats having Dillon for the game will make a big difference, this will not be a repeat of the regular season meeting. I think this will be a real good game. Go Steelers! :stillers:

Offensive/Defensive Efficienies:-----------O:Patriots 5474 yards, 416 points = 13.16D:Patriots 4654 yards, 253 points = 18.40O:Steelers 5157 yards, 343 points = 15.03D:Steelers 3867 yards, 227 points = 17.04Translation: The Patriots are more efficient on BOTH sides of the ball. Teams that hold such an advantage on their opponent in conference title games are 10-2 in the last 14 years. The two losses are the 98 Vikings to the Falcons and the 03 Eagles to the Panthers. Such teams are also a perfect 7-0 in super bowls in the last 14 years. So the Steelers are up against a 17-2 number at this stage of the playoffs or later.
I will take fewer yards allowed (big margin) and fewer points allowed (not so big margin) over yards divided by points anyday.I am concerned about how Big Ben looked this weekend though.Pitt 27NE 14Edited to add: :stillers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Offensive/Defensive Efficienies:

-----------

O:Patriots 5474 yards, 416 points = 13.16

D:Patriots 4654 yards, 253 points = 18.40

O:Steelers 5157 yards, 343 points = 15.03

D:Steelers 3867 yards, 227 points = 17.04

Translation: The Patriots are more efficient on BOTH sides of the ball. Teams that hold such an advantage on their opponent in conference title games are 10-2 in the last 14 years. The two losses are the 98 Vikings to the Falcons and the 03 Eagles to the Panthers. Such teams are also a perfect 7-0 in super bowls in the last 14 years. So the Steelers are up against a 17-2 number at this stage of the playoffs or later.
I will take fewer yards allowed (big margin) and fewer points allowed (not so big margin) over yards divided by points anyday.I am concerned about how Big Ben looked this weekend though.

Pitt 27

NE 14

Edited to add: :stillers:
XTeams that meet your requirements of allowing BOTH fewer yards and fewer points are merely 11-9 in conference title games in the past 14 seasons:

Teams that have given up fewer points and yards than their conference title game opponent are BOLDED.

2003 PATRIOTS over colts

2002 BUCS over eagles

2001 patriots over STEELERS

2000 RAVENS over raiders

2000 GIANTS over vikings

1999 rams over BUCS

1999 titans over JAGUARS

1998 broncos over JETS

1998 FALCONS over vikings

1997 BRONCOS over steelers

1997 packers over 49ERS

1996 PACKERS over panthers

1995 COWBOYS over packers

1994 chargers over STEELERS

1994 49ers over COWBOYS

1993 COWBOYS over 49ers

1992 bills over DOLPHINS

1991 bills over BRONCOS

1991 REDSKINS over lions

1990 GIANTS over 49ers

Note such teams are just 4-3 in the last 7 instances. There is absolutely zero reason you should use your indicator to pick this game. It is meaningless.

if the steelers can run and stifle new england's offense, big ben's play may not even be a factor. the steelers can run on you even when you know it is coming, especially late in the game. if the steelers special teams/big ben makes no huge mistakes, they're still a good bet to win. If that happens Brady&co. will have to make some huge plays on offense to win. Ben may not have to figure out belicheck for the steelers to win, no mistakes should be enough. brady has to crack the steelers D if the steelers avoid turnovers and long returns. Both are excellent teams and franchises in excellent eras, a matchup for NFL faithful to be thankful for, like SF-Dallas in the glory days of the NFC.

BGP- Your stats are meaningless. Here is an interesting stat...Six times in the past decade the AFC Championship has matched teams that also played in the regular season. 5 of those 6 AFC Champ games were won by the same team that won the regular season meeting. The Steelers-Broncos in Jan '98 is the only exception.2003 wk 13 at Indy: Pats 38 Indy 242003-04 AFC Champ at NE: Pats 24 Indy 142002 wk 4 at Oakland: Raiders 52 Titans 252002-03 AFC Champ at Oak: Raiders 41 Titans 242001- NE & PIT didn't meet in regular season2000- BAL & OAK didn't meet in regular season1999- wk 3 at JAX: TEN 20 JAX 19 wk 15 at TEN: TEN 41 JAX 141999-00 AFC Champ at JAX: TEN 33 JAX 141998- DEN and NYJ didn't meet in regular season1997- wk 15 at PIT: Steelers 35 Broncos 241997-98 AFC Champ at PIT: Broncos 24 Steelers 211996- wk 4 at JAX: Patriots 28 Jags 251996-97 AFC Champ at NE: Pats 20 Jags 61995- PIT and INDY didn't meet in regular season1994- wk 17 at SD: Chargers 37 Steelers 341994-95 AFC Champ at PIT: Chargers 17 Steelers 13

In a game like this, where two extremely well rounded and talented teams are facing off...it's really about who executes better, nothing more, nothing less.With that in mind, I'm giving the edge to the Patriots because they've got Brady and Belichick. As good as Cowher is, he's no Belichick (who is?) and as good as Big Ben's been, he's no Tom Brady (who is?).Patriots 24-Steelers 17

ACP-a little retreat on the horizon? Sounds like you're preparing yourself for a tough game. Can understand that. I am not a big Pats or Steelers fan but the Pats coaching staff and players have my utmost respect. I am still amazed at what they do seemingly without many stars but rather as team players. I don't care who wins but the Steelers will need to play the best game of the year to have a chance.

The AFC is going to destroy the NFC in the superbowl. Philly and Atlanta looked much better than they really are since they got to demolish two 8-8 teams.I think the Steelers can win, and hope they do... but I think the Pats should be favored. The Steelers got "lucky" against the Jets and the Pats just shut down the best offense in the history of the NFL. The one thing that bothers me about this game is that EVERYTHING went the Steeler's way in the first meeting and that game will have no impact on this one, except to possibly give the Pats that little extra motivation (not that they need it). The key is going to be for the Steelers to run the ball much more often in the first half than they did this past week against the Jets... if Ben only throws 15 passes I'll be a happy man. It's harder to come up with some exotic scheme against a smash mouth running team than against a passing team, so I hope that works in the Steeler's favor.It should be a great game.
When GREAT teams play, you can take paper analysis and throw it away.Vegas gives the Pats an edge; I don't.Going to be difficult waiting for this game to arrive.... :football:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't lend much credence to a statistic which says that a defense that allowed more points and more yards has an advantage over the one that allowed less of both, regardless of what other numbers piggy-back those. I'll take the defense that allowed less yards and points any day.That said, everyone is trying to break down this game from different angles and I have yet to see anyone make the most salient point. In their regular season meeting, the Steelers dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If the Patriots can find a way to overcome that and even make that matchup a push, they will be in good shape because of their experience. If the Steelers lines have their way again, the result will be the same as last time. It's really that simple.

The game they played earlier will be to Pats advantage. Talk about getting these guys motivated. The coaches won't have to say much. That should be easy. I feel sorry for Big Ben this week. The Pats are going to make him look like a rookie.

Pats 24Steelers 20Looking forward to a terrific game  :thumbup: Will be everything the Superbowl won't be....competitive
Pitt already gave the donkey treatment to philly this year, and that was with Owens. Pitt owns them.
Pitt needs to worry about NE and not Philly. They won't play any NFC team if they lose to NE.

I must admit to having a couple in me so please excuse me for saying NE vs PITT is the way it should be. IMO, the two best all around teams in football duking it out :boxing: Should be a classic!

The game they played earlier will be to Pats advantage. Talk about getting these guys motivated. The coaches won't have to say much. That should be easy. I feel sorry for Big Ben this week. The Pats are going to make him look like a rookie.
Both teams will be equally motivated, it's for a trip to the Super Bowl. Besides, all week the Steelers are going to hear they only won the last meeting because Dillon didn't play so they will be fired up as well come gametime.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't lend much credence to a statistic which says that a defense that allowed more points and more yards has an advantage over the one that allowed less of both, regardless of what other numbers piggy-back those. I'll take the defense that allowed less yards and points any day.That said, everyone is trying to break down this game from different angles and I have yet to see anyone make the most salient point. In their regular season meeting, the Steelers dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If the Patriots can find a way to overcome that and even make that matchup a push, they will be in good shape because of their experience. If the Steelers lines have their way again, the result will be the same as last time. It's really that simple.
Pitt beat NE fair and square and Pitt is good in ALL facets of the game but then again so is NE. The Pitt D may have given up less points but they did not have to face Indy or KC. IMO NE's D is just as good as Pitts and I feel NE has an avantage at QB. Still I can't help but feel the QB advantage MIGHT be outweighed by the HFA.No doubt about it though, it is as it should be and it should be a whale of a game!

I'm surprised Pittsburgh is the underdog at home.  15-1, at home and they've blown out the team they're playing earlier in the year. I expect that line to come down to at least a pick'em game or Pitts. giving a little.
Both teams will be equally motivated, it's for a trip to the Super Bowl. Besides, all week the Steelers are going to hear they only won the last meeting because Dillon didn't play so they will be fired up as well come gametime.
You say both will be equally motivated. Did you say that with a straight face? You had to be laughing your #### off. :rotflmao:

I'm surprised Pittsburgh is the underdog at home.  15-1, at home and they've blown out the team they're playing earlier in the year. I expect that line to come down to at least a pick'em game or Pitts. giving a little.
You say both will be equally motivated. Did you say that with a straight face? You had to be laughing your #### off. :rotflmao:
Why is that funny? The Pats are the defending Super Bowl champs. The Steelers haven't been there in almost a decade. They also have just been made underdogs at home in the AFC Championship Game. No motivation there?I really don't see an edge in motivation making the difference in this game. Both teams will be fired up and ready to play. I'd be willing to say that the Steelers will be hungrier, but that the Pats have the edge in poise and experience. All the intangibles are a push, IMO.

The Steelers will HAVE to run the ball a lot more than they did against the Jets. Why Staley never saw a carry till late in the 3rd still baffles me. Maybe he is still hurt? The intensity wasn't quite there last week. As long as the Steelers don't make too many mistakes, they will win. 3 turnovers and a returned punt aren't going to get it done against the Pats. You will see a different Big Ben this week though. Burress will still exploit the banged up Pats secondary. Dillon will be a non-factor. Great game hinging on turnovers and intangibles. Steelers 24Pats 13 :stillers: :stillers: :stillers: :stillers: :stillers:

The Steelers will HAVE to run the ball a lot more than they did against the Jets. Why Staley never saw a carry till late in the 3rd still baffles me. Maybe he is still hurt? The intensity wasn't quite there last week. As long as the Steelers don't make too many mistakes, they will win. 3 turnovers and a returned punt aren't going to get it done against the Pats. You will see a different Big Ben this week though. Burress will still exploit the banged up Pats secondary. Dillon will be a non-factor. Great game hinging on turnovers and intangibles. Steelers 24Pats 13 :stillers: :stillers: :stillers: :stillers: :stillers:
I thought Staley looked better than Bettis. A combination of the two, getting 20 carries apiece would be really nice.

ACP-a little retreat on the horizon? Sounds like you're preparing yourself for a tough game. Can understand that.
Retreat? I hope not...but it's certainly possible. Any Steelers fan who tells you they aren't nervous for this game is either lying or stupid. I know it's going to be a good game...could go either way, depending on who comes in with their best game.

Users who are viewing this thread