What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Monday Night Football crew (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
With Al Michael's future on Monday Night Football in doubt, ESPN is strongly considering putting talk show host/columnist Tony Kornheiser on its telecast next year, according to the NEW YORK POST.

While ESPN is expected to decide after the Super Bowl if it will force Michaels to honor the eight-year $32 million contract he signed this summer, sources say the network has devised a Plan B around Kornheiser.

If the network allows Michaels out of his contract then the new team is expected to be led by Mike Tirico. Tirico will be joined by Joe Theismann and Kornheiser, if Kornheiser agrees to ESPN's offer that is believed to be for around $1 million.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/61194.htm

Dear Almighty God,I now know for certain that you exist. Why? Because you wouldn't subject us, your chosen people, to Kornheiser, Tirico and Theismann without giving us the blessed "Mute Button." You are truly the Alpha and the Omega. I thank you for the Mute Button.Sincerely,Humanity.

Put CBS's/YES Ian Eagle as the play by play with Phill Simms doing the color...then I would be happy.

If the network allows Michaels out of his contract then the new team is expected to be led by Mike Tirico. Tirico will be joined by Joe Theismann and Kornheiser, if Kornheiser agrees to ESPN's offer that is believed to be for around $1 million.
Wow, they really do want to destroy MNF! Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser? Can they pick a worse trio?

I must admit Kornheiser is entertaining( on PTI) . But has he ever had a play by play gig? Or ever been in a booth for that matter?

Kornheiser?hell yea! That would be great news. If they could just get rid of theisman at the same time that would be perfect.

Tony Kornheiser is my favorite personality from ESPN. He's a likeable and a funny guy. He keeps me entertained on PTI, i love that show. I hope he is on MNF, it'll be even more entertaining.

Is Michaels Having Second Thoughts?

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

Published: January 24, 2006

In July, Al Michaels's future looked set: he would follow "Monday Night Football" to ESPN from ABC in a deal that lasts through 2013, thereby sticking with the series whose very name still sets his spine to tingling.

But ever since November, there have been waves of speculative chatter that he wanted to get out of the contract and restart talks with NBC, whose offer he rejected. From his vacation yesterday, Michaels said nothing about his future, but through an ABC Sports spokesman, he said the "Monday Night" crew had "made a pact that no one would talk about next year."

The next time we see and hear Michaels will be Feb. 5 at Super Bowl XL, ABC's farewell to the N.F.L. Michaels will be there beside John Madden, who is headed to NBC and its new Sunday night football broadcasts. Fred Gaudelli will produce the game and Drew Esocoff will direct it, then they will follow Madden to NBC.

So why didn't Michaels join NBC when he had the first chance? Why would he break up with Madden, his best "Monday Night" partner, to join ESPN, which will not carry postseason games? Why would someone as savvy as Michaels surrender the chance to call Super Bowls until he is at least 69?

Michaels said last July that he agreed to the ESPN deal because he remained tantalized by the "Monday Night Football" name and that he was not following it from ABC for financial reasons. ESPN is paying him $4 million, about $1 million more than the deal he rejected from NBC.

At the time, he knew that Madden was leaving and that he would be working with Joe Theismann at ESPN. But he did not know that Gaudelli and Esocoff would also leave, meaning his comfort zone was departing, as a unit, without him.

Whatever second thoughts Michaels has may be tied to mourning the end of "Monday Night" at the downsized ABC Sports while still being emotionally attached to the 36-year-old series. He may also be thinking about a busier existence at ESPN, which likes to use its game announcers on its studio programs as promotional devices.

Michaels would be part of ESPN's plan to turn "Monday Night Football" from a stand-alone broadcast network program into a daylong hoo-ha on its TV and radio networks, Web site and new cellphone service, ESPN Mobile.

George Bodenheimer, the president of ESPN and ABC Sports, offered a declarative, if not completely definitive, comment on Michaels last week.

"Al has a contract, and yes, it is signed," he said by telephone, "and I fully expect him to honor his agreement with us."

What is unknown is whether, or how doggedly, Michaels or his lawyers will lobby to leave the Walt Disney Company, owner of ESPN, which also pays him $2 million annually to be ABC's No. 1 N.B.A. announcer on a contract that expires after this season.

If Michaels is persistent enough with Bodenheimer and his longtime friend Bob Iger, Disney's chairman, he may succeed in leaving. Why hold an unhappy announcer to a contract with a network without Super Bowls or the late-season flexible schedule that ABC coveted so much?

ESPN could easily insert Mike Tirico, one of its most versatile and familiar voices, into the "Monday Night" slot.

But any attempt to escape Disney carries risk: if Michaels leaves ESPN, will he do so in time to reunite at NBC with Madden, Gaudelli and Esocoff?

NBC isn't twiddling teeny pigskins waiting for Michaels. For the past few months, NBC has been grooming Cris Collinsworth - who was to be its lead N.F.L. studio analyst, working with Bob Costas - as its play-by-play announcer. He has called several rehearsal games at stadiums - none of them televised - and another the weekend before last with Madden at Madden's Pleasanton, Calif., production facility, which was overseen by **** Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports.

Ebersol has orchestrated Collinsworth's play-by-play tutorial. One senses that he wanted Michaels, but didn't need him and opted to audition Collinsworth. But after NBC's voluntary eight-year exile from the N.F.L., Ebersol doubtlessly wants to return at full throttle, which he would do by bringing Madden and Michaels together. Interesting as a Madden-Collinsworth pairing may be, it would take time to jell.

Ebersol has shown no inclination to accelerate his decision-making, and he departed yesterday for Turin, Italy, to produce the Winter Olympics. He can wait until the early summer to see how the Michaels situation unfolds. In this, his model is his mentor, Roone Arledge, who, when he ran ABC Sports, delayed decisions until events took their course, usually to his satisfaction.

And then - who knows? - maybe he will choose Costas.

Tony Kornheiser would be a great addition, IMO. Very funny. Definitely give me another reason to watch. In his pre-PTI days, I believe he was interviewed by ABC for the MNF gig. He was one of about 18-20 guys interviewed. They ended up choosing Dennis Miller at that time, unless I'm mistaken.

Tony Kornheiser would be a great addition, IMO. Very funny. Definitely give me another reason to watch. In his pre-PTI days, I believe he was interviewed by ABC for the MNF gig. He was one of about 18-20 guys interviewed. They ended up choosing Dennis Miller at that time, unless I'm mistaken.
This is correct, at least as I heard it. I believe he was widely considered the #2 choice behind Dennis Miller. I have no idea how Kornheiser will do in a both but it's interesting to me that he's apparently not well received on this thread. Of the 3 guys supposedly being in the booth I could argue that Kornheiser should be receiving the LEAST grief because there's at least a chance he'll be decent. We KNOW Mike Tirico is sup-par and Theismann is the poster child for SUCK. Kornheiser could be the guy the ends up making the whole thing watchable.

Eric

The Seehawk

i agreei love Kornheiser and i think he would be great hereTheismann is an absurd ### kisser and dont even get me started on Mike Tiricothat would be a terrible teamExecutive higher ups have no idea who can really call a game....

I have no idea how Kornheiser will do in a both but it's interesting to me that he's apparently not well received on this thread.
Nobody will be well-received in this thread. These people will complain about anybody with a mic.Btw, stop signing your posts. We can see your username. It looks ridiculous.

What we need is a petition for MNF to put 3 sexy babes in the booth, who know enough about football to be dangerous and even more about what not to wear![homerism] uhhhh, eye candy...[/homerism]

:thumbdown: Kornheiser :rant:

it may be time to bring out the radio and listern to Jack Buck & Hank call the game and use the mute on the TV............ who said that History repeats it self ?

:thumbdown:

Kornheiser already sucks at writing and on PTI, what would be another one?At least Theismann would be there to help save the broadcast, but too bad Paul isn't there with him...

I'm a Kornheiser fan but I don't think that Monday Night Football would be his best venue, much like PTI isn't where he shines brightest. His two hour local radio show, where he can explore topics in depth with knowledgeable guests, are where he does his best work and I hate the fact that I can't listen nearly as much as I once did. I like PTI but it's like reading Kornheiser headlines instead of slowing down and enjoying the full story.

Well I don't know about most of you but I watch Sunday night football and Monday night football because OF THE GAME and NOT on who's annoucing/colouring it. :wall:

Instead of just complaining about who you despise and how rough your life will be it would be nice to see which announcers you do want to see on MNF. Fire away.

Golic and Theisman... DREAM TEAM!!! Put Oprah on the sidelines and you've got it made.Seriously, I'm thinking non-players make better commentators. Less allegience to certain teams/coaches etc. Besides that, QBs have been stinkin' up the place for a while. Aikman has been decent/good (and I love the A-man efficiency ratings), but Theisman/Simms/Young are just too know-it-all and arrogant for me. God, Young and Irvin are stellar together huh? Let's put them in a booth together for a while, then around week 8-10 we give them weapons.

kornheiser might be funny becuase he will fall asleep during the telecast. He seems like he would talk too much calling a game. I am willing to give Theisman one year to see what he can do without a fat sweaty dumb-a#$ sitting next to him. Tirico will bring back memories of cousin Carlton. Should be a great year as long as the matchups are good...

I have no idea how Kornheiser will do in a both but it's interesting to me that he's apparently not well received on this thread. 
Nobody will be well-received in this thread. These people will complain about anybody with a mic.Btw, stop signing your posts. We can see your username. It looks ridiculous.
:goodposting:

the past few year ESPN has had one of worst football broadcast crew I've ever heard and now rumors are coimg out that the new MNF team is going to be 10 steps down from the Current Patrick, Mcguire, and Theisman. Now they going with Tirico, Theisman and Kornheiser. Tirico the misfit of sportcenter, Theisman the clueless mouth, and worthless and annoying KornheiserMy guess it That westwood ones' audience has just multiplied.

Id be happy if theyd of found someone to replace Theismann.
very :goodposting:
Are you kidding? Theismann would be the best of that bunch. Tirico's barely passable as a golf announcer, and Kornheiser would be a poor attempt at repeating the Dennis Miller debacle.

Where is Mike Patrick going? I actually like him on play-by-play...he has just had to deal with idiot color guys the past few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread