What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New summer 2014 TV shows (1 Viewer)

Which are you looking forward to most?

• Halt and Catch Fire

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • The Leftovers

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • The Strain

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Extant

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Tyrant

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • other

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

jamny

Footballguy
Halt and Catch Fire (AMC, June 1, Sundays at 10 ET/PT). AMC's new series walks like Mad Men and talks like Silicon Valley — or the dads of the app developers on HBO's comedy. Set in 1983, Fire follows former IBM worker Joe McMillan (Pushing Daisies' Lee Pace) to Texas, where he drags his new employer to get into the PC clone business while trying not to get sued by his old one. "He knows how hard it's going to be to not only make the machine but make people part with their hard-earned dollars to buy it," Pace says of his hard-driving character. "But he's going to make that happen if it kills him." — Jayme Deerwester

Tyrant (FX, June 24, Tuesdays at 10 ET/PT). This political drama centers on the son of a Middle Eastern dictator reluctantly drawn from America back to his troubled country. The region continues to fascinate producer Howard Gordon (Homeland, 24); so does the friction between the man, Barry Al Fayeed (Adam Rayner) and his older brother. "It's really a story about brothers and about family and about power, but against a backdrop that is very relevant in a way that is intriguing. This is a way to put some of the faces and challenges that that part of the world is facing as it transitions, as this political earthquake is happening." — Gary Levin

The Leftovers (HBO, June 29, Sundays at 10 ET/PT). What happens when 2% of the Earth's population disappears? Is it The Rapture, a miracle or something else? HBO's drama, based on Tom Perrotta's best-selling novel, picks up three years after "the departure" and follows police chief and father of two Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux); Laurie (Amy Brenneman), a member of a white-robed cult; and Meg (Liv Tyler), a woman who draws the cult's interest. Executive producers Perrotta and Damon Lindelof (Lost) focus less on the reason behind what happened than on how the characters are coping with their loss. "It's really interesting to not be right in the middle of the catastrophe but to suddenly wake up three years later," Tyler says. "There are so many layers to these people. There's the façade of what they're showing to the world, but most have some sort of thing underneath the surface that's really bonkers." — Bill Keveney

Extant (CBS, July 9, Wednesdays, 9 ET/PT). Oscar winner Halle Berry stars in this mystery thriller about astronaut Molly Woods, who returns to her family after spending a year in space only to discover that her experiences might have a greater impact than she thought. Goran Visnjic plays her husband, John, and Pierce Gagnon, 8, stars as their son. Creator Mickey Fisher says Berry brought "so much of what I'd hoped for in the role, which is strength and soulfulness and intelligence." The series is part family drama and part thriller, with "big scares and big mysteries and some fun, actually." Executive producer Greg Walker agrees. "I think the pace and the urgency heightens during the course of the season. It becomes clearer what happened in space will have a real impact on Earth." --Lorena Blas

The Strain (FX, July 13, Sundays at 10 ET/PT). Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan adapt their hotly pursued vampire trilogy for TV. A Centers for Disease Control team leader (Corey Stoll) investigates a weird viral outbreak after a planeload of dead passengers lands in New York, and a pawn-shop owner, a rat catcher and others cross paths — and might help the cause. Most vampire stories are "of the sparkly, romantic, brooding" variety, who are "more concerned with their love life," says executive producer Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel). "We're putting a spin on it we hadn't seen." — Gary Levin

I'll definitely check out Leftovers and Strain. Probably watch Tyrant. Not sure yet on Halt and Catch Fire. Doubt I'll watch Extant.

The Last Ship looks like it could be good. Or at least, good for TNT/USA cable type shows. Like a lot of the cast like Adam Baldwin.

Tyrant sounds interesting.

Halt and Catch Fire really doesn't sound interesting from that write up but there must be something more to it if that boring premise was picked up.

The Leftovers sounds like another show that will drag the information about the only thing the audience cares about (why they disappeared) on and on and on and on until we finally realize that the creators have no idea what happened and finally write some , guaranteed to be reviled, half-###ed nonsense ending two or three seasons after the show should have died.

The Strain? Oooooooh we have a different take on vampires. Look how cool we are. Pffffffttt.

Extant? The fact that is an 8 episode run is good news but if it is popular and gets picked up for more seasons CBS will turn it into a 24 episode/season show and before too long we will have Halle Berry being chased through the woods (or a space station or whatever) by a mountain lion. Pass.

I'll check out HACF but I already kind of know I won't like it that much.

Pass on the rest.

And also the NBC pirate show coming out. Blah.

Chaka said:
The Strain? Oooooooh we have a different take on vampires. Look how cool we are. Pffffffttt.
I have seen previews and had no idea this was about vampires. Guillermo del Toro is awesome, so I might give it a shot.

Summer tends to suck for tv series. I guess I'll give The Dome another shot. They showed a commercial and it did look exciting and good so we'll see. It starts some time in June.

- in 100% for The Strain.

- I'll probably watch The Leftovers, but why only 2% disappeared? would be more interesting if like 20% disappeared.

- Tyrant sounds interesting because it's a premise that we haven't really seen on American TV before

- HACF & Extant...meh.

- I'll probably watch The Leftovers, but why only 2% disappeared? would be more interesting if like 20% disappeared.
I guarantee you won't find out for years (if it even sticks around) while receiving nothing but directly contradictory clues about what it might be and ultimately when they reveal it (if they ever truly reveal it) you will be horribly disappointed.

Book it!

I'm doing you a favor here, man. Just walk away. You'll thank me later.

I guarantee you won't find out for years (if it even sticks around) while receiving nothing but directly contradictory clues about what it might be and ultimately when they reveal it (if they ever truly reveal it) you will be horribly disappointed.

Book it!

You're probably right but I'm hoping it's not about why they disappeared but more about the mindset of the people that remain after it happens. In that case, we'll never have to know.

Book it!

You're probably right but I'm hoping it's not about why they disappeared but more about the mindset of the people that remain after it happens. In that case, we'll never have to know.
It's supposed to be about the aftermath and the people who lost someone but it will always really be about what happened to them and you will never get a satisfactory answer.

Take it to the bank.

Book it!

It's supposed to be about the aftermath and the people who lost someone but it will always really be about what happened to them and you will never get a satisfactory answer.

Take it to the bank.
Sounds like that one where everybody passed out for a few minutes.

I usually love the product hbo and fx put out, so I am on board for those 3 shows. the strain will have a shorter leash than the other two though.

I guarantee you won't find out for years (if it even sticks around) while receiving nothing but directly contradictory clues about what it might be and ultimately when they reveal it (if they ever truly reveal it) you will be horribly disappointed.Book it!

It's supposed to be about the aftermath and the people who lost someone but it will always really be about what happened to them and you will never get a satisfactory answer.Take it to the bank.
I expect it to be like true detective, in that the event is the backdrop to follow some interesting characters, and I am cool with that.

Halt Nd catch fire getting great reviews from all the tv reviewers I follow. Lee pace was great on pushing daisies and the hobbit trilogy. In for that.

I guarantee you won't find out for years (if it even sticks around) while receiving nothing but directly contradictory clues about what it might be and ultimately when they reveal it (if they ever truly reveal it) you will be horribly disappointed.Book it!

It's supposed to be about the aftermath and the people who lost someone but it will always really be about what happened to them and you will never get a satisfactory answer.Take it to the bank.
I expect it to be like true detective, in that the event is the backdrop to follow some interesting characters, and I am cool with that.
True Detective had a complete ending.

but the biggest gripe was teasing with the overarching cult and not getting much resolution on that. not the best comparison, but the first I thought of.eta: td was more about character not case, I expect this to be about character, not the why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a public service announcement. The new Riot comedy show is atrocious. It is pretty tame, so I watched the first episode with my son. Gave it another shot tonight on the hopper and it was still awful. I used to like Whose Line Is It Anyway, but this has just terrible sketches and pretty lame people. Maybe they are funny outside of this, but it is almost like their core skits never give anyone a chance to be funny. If it lasts another week, I'll be shocked. I know I won't watch it again.

I'll watch The Strain. Might watch The Last Ship just to see how silly and fun it is (if at all). I also want to check out The Intruders on BBC America; I don't think it was mentioned here. Pass on ExTyrant, HACF, and on the fence about The Leftovers.

I will hatewatch S2 of Under the Dumb as long as the two babes don't get killed off.

Checking out the comedy "Welcome to Sweden" with Amy Poelher's brother, Greg, staring in it. Good comedy genes. Hoping for the best.

Will also check out Halt and Catch Fire. I didn't want to but people here saying it's getting great reviews so I'm setting the tivo for it.

Also, tivo ing Last Comic Standing since I'm a sucker for stand up and love JB Smoove. Expectations super low though. A good show to surf on the iPad to.

brohans?

The book has luke-warm reviews on Amazon. Not a good sign.

The Strain is based on a pretty decent series of books, so I'll tune it to see how it adapts to TV.

Extant and Leftovers have stories I generally like, but I'm getting tired of TV trying to sex them up and draw them out only to kill them off before they can find their footing.

So I watched Cross Bones Friday night. I enjoyed it. I thought Malkovich was outstanding as usual and I like the guy they having playing the doctor. In.

Anyone watching Halt and Catch Fire? I haven't seen much talk about it so I guess it's not creating much of a buzz. Tyrant starts on Tuesday and looks somewhat promising. The commercials for The Leftovers are making me not want to watch it.

I watched the first episode of the Leftovers. Way more questions than answers, which was to be expected I guess. Just a really weird pilot.

2 episodes and done with Tyrant.

Judging by reviews, it looks like it'll be the same with The Leftovers.

Hopefully The Strain is good.

I've recorded Tyrant, haven't watched it yet.

Crossbones is okay. Nothing special.

I also recorded 10 episodes of Fargo and haven't started watching it yet.

I'm derelict with my TV viewing. What new shows are worth the time? (other than Jimmy Fallon)

I've recorded Tyrant, haven't watched it yet.

Crossbones is okay. Nothing special.

I also recorded 10 episodes of Fargo and haven't started watching it yet.

I'm derelict with my TV viewing. What new shows are worth the time? (other than Jimmy Fallon)
Fargo is really good.

I will usually give most interesting new shows at least a look. so here are my impressions of some of the new shows.

• Fargo - it's over now, but anyone who has recorded it and not watched it yet, should drop what they're doing and watch it now
  • Strain - 100% in on this. should be great.
  • Leftovers - 2 episodes in, and I'll keep going...but it hasn't grabbed me yet like some other HBO shows. lots of parallel story lines so far, hope it doesn't become distracting.
  • Extant - gonna give this an episode or 2 to see where it goes. Halle's presence will at least buy that much.
  • Tyrant - thought the first episode was okay, but the lead character and his family are not good. second episode took a step backward for me. will probably give it one more.
  • Halt - watched a couple episodes, and deleted it from the DVR. the premise was kinda interesting, but I don't really like the lead guy, and there wasn't enough to grab me.
  • Last Ship - watched 3/4 of the pilot, and turned it off. the typical Michael Bay-ness was too much to take in my own home.

Maik Jeaunz said:
I will usually give most interesting new shows at least a look. so here are my impressions of some of the new shows.

• Leftovers - 2 episodes in, and I'll keep going...but it hasn't grabbed me yet like some other HBO shows. lots of parallel story lines so far, hope it doesn't become distracting.
It will be distracting and nothing will get resolved...ever!

but the biggest gripe was teasing with the overarching cult and not getting much resolution on that. not the best comparison, but the first I thought of.
But you don't get to catch all the bad guys, because "that ain't the kind of world it is".

I thought that part of the ending was really fitting actually and realistic.

Maik Jeaunz said:

It will be distracting and nothing will get resolved...ever!
Learned my lesson with Lost. Never again.

In for the following:

• Extant
  • The Strain
Will have a look at:

• Intruders (BBC America)
  • Crossbones
  • Legends - Mrs Ash likes crime shows and this will likely be less painful than the usual MasterVoiceChefFactor crap she usually watches.
Wouldn't touch:

• Tyrant
  • Last Ship (didn't someone do this last year with a submarine?) The "Bayness" comment sealed it, but I didn't have much interest before that.
  • Leftovers (see below)Step 1: Start a show with an weird premise that you have no idea how to explain and that will distract viewers from the story you say you want the show to be about.
  • Step 2: TBD
  • Step 3: Success?
Been there, done that. All I wanted was to know how a polar bear got to a tropical island. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally like nine out of ten, well, maybe eight out of ten TV dramas in this day and age, to varying degrees of "like," of course.

But I thought "The Leftovers" pilot was beyond awful. I was shocked, really. I delisted it immediately, which is something I very rarely do.

I'm quite enjoying "The Last Ship." Michael Bay's influence is not that obvious and not that extensive. If anyone was ever a fan of "Without a Trace" on CBS, the same guy (Hank Steinberg) created both shows, he's the showrunner here, and his hallmarks are far more apparent than Bay's. The problem is that after the fourth episode, I'm afraid that they may have written themselves into a corner, much like "Last Resort" (that was the sub show mentioned above).

Users who are viewing this thread