What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Football Giants 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

[SIZE=10.5pt]So what is the O-Line going to look like this week?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Beatty(LT) Boothe(LG) Cordle (C ) Diehl(RG) Pugh (RT) ?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]So what is the O-Line going to look like this week?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Beatty(LT) Boothe(LG) Cordle (C ) Diehl(RG) Pugh (RT) ?[/SIZE]
From what we're hearing it would seem that way... Diehl should be a slight upgrade at RG from Brewer as long as he's healthy. Now the real hope here is that this is the same offensive line assignments next week as well. The Giants never had the most talented O-Line's they always just knew each other so well that they played unbelievably as a unit. This line hasn't had that kind of privilege as it's been a shuffle every week since camp.

Ugh... does the fact that this thread still exists mean the 2013 season is not (officially) over?

:coffee:

PS - Time to run the table and get on a Rolle! Still proudly (although at times sheepishly) wearing my Giants cap though. No fair weather fan here, other than the nice 80 degree days we've been having.

Ugh... does the fact that this thread still exists mean the 2013 season is not (officially) over?

PS - Time to run the table and get on a Rolle! Still proudly (although at times sheepishly) wearing my Giants cap though. No fair weather fan here, other than the nice 80 degree days we've been having.
Of course it’s not over

Despite the fact that they haven’t won a game they are only 2 games out

They must win this weekend and if they do they will probably only 1 game out

Keep Hope Alive Jesse

Rotoworld:

Panthers LB Jon Beason arrived in New York Friday to take a physical with the Giants.
If he passes, he'll become a Giant, probably for a late-round conditional pick. The physical is critical because Beason has been beset by injuries in recent years, including an offseason microfracture surgery on his troublesome knee. He couldn't start over Chase Blackburn in Carolina, so it's hard to imagine Beason suddenly giving the Giants' struggling defense a jolt.

------------------------------------------------------------------
He's only 28. But he's recovering from micro fracture surgery. I believe that's the injury that caused the Giants to let Steve Smith and Kenny Phillips go in recent years.

oops, posted before seeing Yenrub's post on the previous page. (honda) :topcat:

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course it’s not over

Despite the fact that they haven’t won a game they are only 2 games out

They must win this weekend and if they do they will probably only 1 game out

Keep Hope Alive Jesse
Yeah, it seems completely insane that at 0-4 they're not out of it. But really they're not... lets face it. If the Giants beat Philly this weekend the division's going to look like:

1. Dallas: 2-3

2. Washington: 1-3

3. New York: 1-4

4. Philly: 1-4

Ugh... the hits just keep on coming.

The NY Daily News reports C David Baas may need season-ending neck surgery.

Per beat writer Ralph Vacchiano, Baas "could be headed to IR." RG Chris Snee will join him there, at least allowing the Giants to get some continuity on their offensive line instead of shuffling different players in and out each week. James Brewer will be the new right guard. Jim Cordle is starting at center.

Source: New York Daily News
Oct 4 - 3:13 PM
It's starting to look more and more like these two had not even the slightest amount of business playing in that Panthers game and as a result furthered their injuries from 1-2 week rests to IR status.

Per beat writer Ralph Vacchiano, Baas "could be headed to IR." RG Chris Snee will join him there, at least allowing the Giants to get some continuity on their offensive line instead of shuffling different players in and out each week. James Brewer will be the new right guard. Jim Cordle is starting at center.

It's starting to look more and more like these two had not even the slightest amount of business playing in that Panthers game and as a result furthered their injuries from 1-2 week rests to IR status.
The way they played, it looks like they should have been on IR back in OTA's so the team could have made better arrangements. The young guys can't play any worse. I'm staying optimistic. Diehl had beat out Pugh at LT before he got hurt and it turns out Pugh has been the 2nd best if not the best lineman so far. I'm hoping they got it wrong again when they thought Baas and Snee should be starting.

Snee as expected has been put on IR

One bright spot is Will Hill is back!

Snee as expected has been put on IR

One bright spot is Will Hill is back!
Well... I was a bright spot. Now this:

Giants placed CB Aaron Ross on injured reserve with a back injury, ending his season.

It's a surprising move, but Ross was dealing with at least a multi-week back injury and the Giants couldn't afford to keep him on the active roster. CB Charles James is being promoted from the practice squad, while FS Will Hill has been reinstated from suspension. Ross, 31, will finish 2013 with four tackles and an interception over four games (two starts). He'll be a free agent again this offseason.

Oct 5 - 4:21 PM
Can they catch 1 break this season? Seriously.

Should we start thinking about what number Clowney wants to wear? It's just constant depressing news day after day.

Should we start thinking about what number Clowney wants to wear? It's just constant depressing news day after day.
If Clowney keeps playing the way he has so far this season he'll be had a significantly less price than 1 or 2 overall

The way they played, it looks like they should have been on IR back in OTA's so the team could have made better arrangements. The young guys can't play any worse. I'm staying optimistic. Diehl had beat out Pugh at LT before he got hurt and it turns out Pugh has been the 2nd best if not the best lineman so far. I'm hoping they got it wrong again when they thought Baas and Snee should be starting.
Yea I agree may be an upgrade. From what I hear they could barely get out of their stance. Baas and snee were inj bad and couldn't do much.. Two young guys may shore it up enough, esp vs Philly.

Khy said:
petenice15 said:
If Clowney keeps playing the way he has so far this season he'll be had a significantly less price than 1 or 2 overall
I know the will want to get another DE so they have a 3rd good one once Tuck is gone. Don't know if the team should spend a 1st on one though. Maybe trade back if they can get 3 or more picks in the first few rounds to get a help at DE, LB, G, C or CB. Might need a safety to if Brown can't comeback from injury.

T with T said:

Yea I agree may be an upgrade. From what I hear they could barely get out of their stance. Baas and snee were inj bad and couldn't do much.. Two young guys may shore it up enough, esp vs Philly.
One of those "young guys" is Diehl who is older than Snee and Baas

I can't recall expecting a team to be at the least, ok, be so absolutely and resoundingly awful. One of the worst teams I've seen. Just, wow. Brutal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/jadeveon-clowney-should-quit-at-south-carolina-get-ready-for-nfl-draft-100613

Clowney should quit while he's healthyJadeveon Clowney does not want to play college football. Simple solution:

Don’t.

Clowney should hand in his South Carolina uniform, even if it means he’ll be stuck with the dreaded label “Quitter.”

We’re already seeing it after Clowney said his ribs were too sore to play Saturday against Kentucky. Steve Spurrier’s fed-up reaction reflected the growing consensus.

Clowney is soft. He doesn’t love football. He’s saving himself for the NFL. All the hype has gone to his head.

He’s guilty on all charges. But before we officially designate this "Jump on Jadeveon Day," think back to Oct. 27, 2012.

That was when Marcus Lattimore’s right knee was turned into a Slinky against Tennessee. Everybody who saw it was horrified. A certain 6-foot-6, 270-pound defensive end had an especially good vantage point standing on the South Carolina sideline.

The thought of that happening to him doesn’t excuse Clowney’s behavior, but it makes it more understandable. If you disagree, please do the math.

Lattimore was projected to be a mid-to-late first round draft pick. Players selected between No. 15 and No. 25 in the 2012 draft received $9.3 million to $7.7 million in guaranteed money.

San Francisco picked Lattimore in the fourth round. He signed a four-year deal for $2.46 million. That included a $300,000 signing bonus and a base salary this year of $405,000.

Lattimore was put on the Physically Unable to Perform list in preseason as he continues to recover from the injury. Nobody knows if he’ll ever be the same runner he was at South Carolina. We do know the injury likely cost Lattimore at least $7 million.

Wouldn’t he have liked to have had bruised ribs before that Tennessee game?

Like Lattimore, Clowney is a third-year junior. Like Lattimore, he was good enough to be drafted after his sophomore year but NFL rules prevented it.

Unlike Lattimore, Clowney probably would have been the No. 1 pick. The player who ended up there, Eric Fisher, signed a four-year deal for a guaranteed $22.1 million. Clowney got an all-expenses-paid trip back to Columbia from the Outback Bowl.

That’s where he almost decapitated a Michigan runner. The video was replayed approximately 22.1 million times and cemented the legend. It also made one question ring out: Why shouldn’t Clowney quit college football?

The NFL wasn’t going to take down its artificial draft barrier requiring players to be three years out of high school. So why shouldn’t Clowney just abandon his pursuit of an African-American studies degree, enroll in some IMG-type fitness camp and prime himself for the 2014 draft?

In retrospect, he should have. All this season has done is confirm the one knock on Clowney.

“He does what he wants and has a different set of rules,” an NFL scout told WalterFootball.com. “He has the attitude of, ‘What are you going to do, bench me?' He isn’t a great worker and he doesn’t do anything he doesn’t want to do.”

The main thing he’s wanted to do so far is play doctor. He said a stomach ailment dehydrated him in the season opener. Bone spurs bothered him against Georgia and Vanderbilt. The stomach bug flared again last week against UCF.

Clowney’s amassed 12 tackles, three sacks and a mountain of frustration as teams double-team him and run in the opposite direction. The benefits he brings are starting to be overshadowed by the distraction he’s becoming.

“If he doesn’t want to play, he doesn’t have to play,” Spurrier said. “Simple as that.”

Whether the latest aches should have kept sidelined Clowney, only his hairdresser knows for sure. But doctors would not have cleared him to play if they didn’t think he was healthy enough.

Basically, all he’s done this year is hurt his reputation. The NFL is taking note, though it will largely overlook the diva routine.

Clowney isn’t just a prospect, he’s considered the Andrew Luck of defense. Whatever his motivation problems, the NFL believes he can overcome them. He may not be the No. 1 pick, but he’s not going to slide out of the top five unless he is arrested for armed robbery.

Or he blows out a knee.

It’s easy for most people to sit back and say such concerns shouldn’t matter. That it’s all about sacrificing for the team, gutting it out and not letting money creep into the equation. But most people weren’t raised by a single mother who works in a Frito-Lay factory.

Maybe Clowney ate some bad Doritos before the opener. First it was the stomach bug, then bone spurs, now bruised ribs.

The real problem is Clowney’s heart. It just isn’t into college football anymore.

That’s not doing him any good, and it’s sure not helping South Carolina. So Clowney shouldn’t worry about being labeled. Sometimes quitting is the best decision.

He should walk away while he can. If nobody else, Lattimore would certainly understand.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 3m
Tom Coughlin says Brandon Jacobs' injury is to his hamstring, and he expects him to practice Thursday

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday 1m
That leaves Michael Cox as the only available RB at today's practice.

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday 2m
Giants have 5 RBs on roster. Wilson is in Cali getting 2nd opinion on neck, Brown still 2 wks from return, Scott and Jacobs not practicing.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/10/ex-nfl_lineman_giants_justin_pugh_has_outplayed_nfl_drafts_top_picks.html

Ex-NFL lineman: Giants' Justin Pugh has outplayed NFL Draft's top picksBeing the fifth offensive tackle taken in this year's NFL Draft hasn't precluded the Giants' Justin Pugh from being the best to date.

At least that is former NFL offensive lineman and current NBC Sports analyst Ross Tucker's assessment.

Tucker hasn't been been overly impressed by any of the young linemen selected in April's draft, but does see Pugh, the 19th overall pick out of Syracuse, playing better than his rookie counterparts, including No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher and No. 4 overall pick Lane Johnson.

"Eric Fisher has been terrible in Kansas City. Lane Johnson has been a little bit better than that in Philly. [No. 2 pick] Luke Joeckel was OK in Jacksonville before he got hurt," Tucker said. "Justin has been fine, but fine compared to his draft class is pretty darn good. … He's been the best of the bunch, probably even better than [No. 11 pick] D.J. Fluker, who struggles in pass protection as well."

Pugh started the season slowly as the Giants' right tackle. He struggled badly against the Panthers and Chiefs in Weeks 3 and 4 when the Giants were chasing huge deficits, and the threat of running the football was nonexistent.

But the No. 19 overall pick out of Syracuse has made adjustments. He's played better in recent weeks. Tucker credits his mental approach.

"Pugh has probably been more solid than any of those [other rookies]. It's really been because of his feet, and he's playing smarter," Tucker said. "Those guys are lunging. Those guys are whiffing. You don't really see that from Pugh. He'll get beat late sometimes, but you don't see him outright whiffing.

"I think he's figured it out that if you really try to be too aggressive and try to do the same thing every time, like Fisher and Lane Johnson do, you're gonna get beat. You have to change it up."

Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty believes Pugh's technique and fundamentals have improved each week. He hasn't allowed a sack since Week 3 in Carolina, and has only allowed five pressures in the past three games, according to Pro Football Focus.

Most importantly, he's kept it all together mentally at a very difficult position.

"When he gets beat, he doesn't go into a frenzy. I've seen offensive line coaches in this league have psychiatrists on the sideline for these guys," former NFL lineman and current FOX analyst Brian Baldinger said. "But he doesn't look like he needs that."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
From @PFTonNBCSN, Giants OL David Diehl on WR Hakeem Nicks returning to the team next year: "I don't see it happening."

I'd hate to lose Nicks.

I didn't get a chance to see the Raiders game but saw that Damontre Moore blocked a punt

Did he get any snaps at DE or was all of his playing time on special teams?

If he did play DE how did he look?

This is probably completely nuts, but any chance they actually come back and win this division no one wants to win? Defense and pass rush is starting to pick it up, Andre Brown is hopefully going to continue to spark the running game....big X factor obviously is Eli, he has to pick it up big time

This is probably completely nuts, but any chance they actually come back and win this division no one wants to win? Defense and pass rush is starting to pick it up, Andre Brown is hopefully going to continue to spark the running game....big X factor obviously is Eli, he has to pick it up big time
As a Giants fan and honestly, just football fan in general. This would be awesome if it happened. First time in history a team would start 0-6 and make the playoffs if I'm not mistaken? Gotta look at it this way...

If the Giants beat the Pack this week, then beat the Cowboys in Week 12? All of a sudden it's a 3 way tie in the division. Then it becomes anyone's ballgame.

Start getting salsa dances again and it might be possible.....no one has epitomized getting hot at the right time more than the Coughlin-led Giants....im rooting for it just gotta have Eli remember how to play

Users who are viewing this thread