What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Football Giants 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

netnalp

Footballguy
Stomp them Cowboys!

The battle for a home field Super Bowl begins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 6m

#NYG Pro Bowl WR Victor Cruz had not run on flat ground as of Friday afternoon, but that has changed + he looks good

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 7m

Victor Cruz is on the field for practice. No apparent issues with cutting, running routes. Good sign as Cowboys week begins

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 4m

Barring any setback, you can already pencil in Victor Cruz for the starting lineup Sunday night against the Cowboys. Very fluid. #NYG

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 3mI've thought all along JPP would play Sunday night, maybe with with snap restrictions, but saw nothing to change my mind on that front. #NYG

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 6m

Jason Pierre-Paul + Damontre Moore are practicing today ... hey, so are Hakeem Nicks + Antrel Rolle + Terrell Thomas + Corey Webster #NYG

@Patricia_Traina 12m
Am hearing the Giants have a big workout day planned tomorrow for players at various positions.

@Patricia_Traina 12m
I don't have names, but am hearing RB and S are among the group.

Giants placed RB Andre Brown (broken leg) on injured reserve/designated to return.
There's some confusion over when Brown is eligible to return, but it appears to be Week 10. Facing a 4-6 week timetable, Brown should be ready when first eligible, but his injury history isn't exactly rosy. How David Wilson fares with lead duties could also affect how hard the Giants push his fragile backup. Considering Wilson's talent to put a stranglehold on the feature back job and Brown's durability issues, Brown's fantasy ceiling is not high enough to be worth stashing in 10- and 12-team leagues. Just drop him.
Related: David Wilson

Source: Dan Graziano on Twitter
Sep 3 - 2:08 PM
So Brown goes to IR/DtR and won't be back until likely Week 10.

Also as suspected...

The New York Daily News reports the Giants have "spoken to the agents" of free agent RBs Kevin Smith and Ryan Grant.

Free agent Tim Hightower is believed to be another possibility. The Giants are rummaging deep through the recycle bin, but it's unclear if any of the three will even get a workout, let alone sign. For now, the G-Men appear content to stand pat. That will likely change once vested veterans don't have to be guaranteed contracts after Week 1.
Related: Giants

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter
Sep 3 - 2:17 PM

How is the O-line looking for week 1? I know one starter is out for sure, and possibly another. Are the backups capable? Will Meyers be staying in to block, or is he safe to roll out there?

This has the feel of a shootout. .will Eli be upright long enough to fire some shots to his wideouts and TE?

How is the O-line looking for week 1? I know one starter is out for sure, and possibly another. Are the backups capable? Will Meyers be staying in to block, or is he safe to roll out there?

This has the feel of a shootout. .will Eli be upright long enough to fire some shots to his wideouts and TE?
Beatty and Snee have been solid. Pugh looked good in preseason. Boothe I think will be fine at center, he's done a good job of filling in there in the past. Brewer at LG is a concern. The position coach has said he's a "natural" at LG but even when named the starter there, they had him play some other spots in preseason rather than focusing on the one.

Myers hasn't done a good job at blocking from what I read and isn't picking up the offense as well as Bennett did. I wonder if though with Randle lighting it up, maybe Randle has become the 3rd option and the TE has fallen in the progression.

According to rotoworld, they brought in Beanie, Dwyer and Leon Washington for a look today. They're also speculating that any signing would take place after week 1 so the contract wouldn't be guaranteed.

According to rotoworld, they brought in Beanie, Dwyer and Leon Washington for a look today. They're also speculating that any signing would take place after week 1 so the contract wouldn't be guaranteed.
Also they are expected to work out Ryan Grant, Kevin Smith and Tim Hightower.

Also they are expected to work out Ryan Grant, Kevin Smith and Tim Hightower.
I think a healthy Beanie is the best option, followed by Dwyer. The news coming out on Dwyer is that there was some personal issues, so if that's the case, no thanks. What do you guys think?

Rams released WLB Jo-Lonn Dunbar.
Known as a player's coach, Jeff Fisher uncharacteristically condemned Dunbar after he was slapped with a four-game ban for violating the league's PED policy, but it's still surprising the Rams would cut a player who was expected to start upon his return. Dunbar started all 16 games last season, racking up 115 tackles, 4.5 sacks and two interceptions. Fading veteran Will Witherspoon is taking Dunbar's spot in the starting lineup opposite James Laurinaitis.

---------------------------------------
Might be worth the Giants taking a look at him unless he has major character issues.

Beatty and Snee have been solid. Pugh looked good in preseason. Boothe I think will be fine at center, he's done a good job of filling in there in the past. Brewer at LG is a concern. The position coach has said he's a "natural" at LG but even when named the starter there, they had him play some other spots in preseason rather than focusing on the one.

Myers hasn't done a good job at blocking from what I read and isn't picking up the offense as well as Bennett did. I wonder if though with Randle lighting it up, maybe Randle has become the 3rd option and the TE has fallen in the progression.
Thanks for the info on the O-line and Meyers. I own Eli, Nicks, and Meyers. Pulled Meyers from my lineup, hoping Eli has time to get the ball to his WR's. I could see all three of them (Nicks, Cruz, Randle) having a pretty good night in the Big D. Should be a fun one to watch!

If the Giants line returns to full-health, I see a big year for the Giants offense as a whole.

Eli Manning's Kryptonite: The 'Tampa 2' DefenseEAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.—Frustrated by another late-season collapse, fed up by a three-year playoff drought, the Dallas Cowboys made a major move this off-season by hiring Monte Kiffin as their new defensive coordinator.

In tabbing Kiffin, who is 73, to oversee their defense, the Cowboys have recruited one of the National Football League's most experienced and influential coaches to transform a unit that surrendered an average of 25 points a game in 2012.

But that's not all. By bringing Kiffin on board, the Cowboys have also acquired someone who may be the closest thing in pro football to Eli Manning's nemesis.

To football insiders, Kiffin is known as the father of the "Tampa 2" defense, a zone-based system that rose to prominence across the league during his time as defensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under head coach Tony Dungy.

The scheme is built around a cadre of athletic linebackers who can hold up in pass coverage, a pair of tough, physical cornerbacks who can defend against the run, and two hard-hitting safeties to patrol each half of the field. For most of his 10-year NFL career, it has caused Manning nothing but headaches.

The Giants quarterback has played a dozen career games against teams that operated the Tampa 2 as their primary defense, and the results have been anything but pretty.

In 2007, Manning endured a gruesome afternoon against a Minnesota Vikings defense coached by Mike Tomlin, a former defensive assistant under Kiffin in Tampa Bay. He completed just 43% of his passes, with one touchdown and four interceptions.

Facing the Buffalo Bills later that year, Manning again struggled against the Tampa 2, completing seven passes for 111 yards and tossing two turnovers.

Then there was a night to forget against Chicago in 2006, when a Bears defense coached by former Tampa Bay assistant Lovie Smith befuddled Manning to such an extent that he connected on just 14 of 32 attempts for 121 yards and was intercepted twice. His passer rating of 28.3 was the fourth-lowest of his career.

In fact, in 12 career games against a Tampa 2 defense, Manning's passer rating has eclipsed 90.0 on just two occasions, he has surpassed 200 passing yards in a game only three times, and four of the eight worst performances of his career by quarterback rating came against the scheme Kiffin and Dungy developed in Tampa.

"Their scheme will be very sound and let their athletes run," Manning said ahead of Sunday's matchup with the Cowboys' new-look Tampa 2 defense. "We'll have to go in there and play our best football and see what they're going to do defensively."

Manning's struggles against the Tampa 2 have been largely forgotten in recent years as the scheme slowly disappeared from the NFL. Though almost a quarter of the league's 32 teams operated the Tampa 2 as their base defense in 2006, new rules limiting the use of aggressive, physical play in the secondary have rendered the scheme's hard-hitting safeties and cornerbacks largely obsolete.

In preparation for facing the Tampa 2, Manning said he would review tape of the Buccaneers under Kiffin as well as the USC defense he coached the past two years. "We've got to go back and look at some old film, some old Tampa stuff, some USC stuff. We have a lot of different film to look at," he said.

He didn't sound unduly flustered about facing a coach known for his pivotal role in developing the defensive scheme that has given him so much trouble. But there may be a simple reason for that: In his two career meetings with Kiffin's Tampa Bay teams, Manning never ended up on the losing side.

Not in the ZoneEli Manning has struggled in his 12 career games against the Tampa 2 defense.

Code:
opponent	cmp/att	PCt	yds	td/int	QB ratingIND (2006) 	20/34	58.8%	247	2/1	88.7TB ('06) 	16/31	51.6%	154	1/0	76.5CHI ('06) 	14/32	43.8%	121	0/2	28.3DET (2007) 	28/39	71.8%	283	1/0	100.7MIN ('07) 	21/49	42.9%	273	1/4	33.8@ CHI ('07) 	16/27	59.3%	195	1/2	63.0@ BUF ('07) 	7/15	46.7%	111	0/2	32.2@ TB ('07) 	20/27	74.1%	185	2/0	117.1@ MIN (2008) 	11/19	57.9%	119	0/0	76.4@ MIN (2009) 	17/23	73.9%	141	0/1	71.1CHI (2010) 	18/30	60.0%	195	0/0	79.2@ MIN ('10) 	22/37	59.5%	187	1/2	59.2

whats the latest on cruz?
Eli made it sound like he's definitely going to play from this quote on Monday...

Eli Manning was impressed by Victor Cruz (heel) in his return to Giants practice Monday.

"(Victor) is one of our top receivers," said Eli. "It’s good to have him out there running around and I’m excited he’ll be back this opening game. He looked sharp (today). He had his full speed." In three-receiver sets at Dallas, look for Cruz to man the slot with Rueben Randle and Hakeem Nicks outside. Sep 2 - 4:31 PM

whats the latest on cruz?
Eli made it sound like he's definitely going to play from this quote on Monday...

Eli Manning was impressed by Victor Cruz (heel) in his return to Giants practice Monday.

"(Victor) is one of our top receivers," said Eli. "It’s good to have him out there running around and I’m excited he’ll be back this opening game. He looked sharp (today). He had his full speed." In three-receiver sets at Dallas, look for Cruz to man the slot with Rueben Randle and Hakeem Nicks outside. Sep 2 - 4:31 PM
Cruz practiced fully and beat writers said he looked good with no ill effects or rust.

Anyone else surprised that Dodds has this game as ++ matchup for Dallas? The perennially overrated Cowboys are about to get ripped for 5 in a row to the G-men in Scoreboard Eats Footballs Stadium.

Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride

Q: Is it tougher to gameplan this year against the Cowboys than it has been in years past considering how much they’ve changed on defense with their new scheme?
A: I mean, two years ago they were much different than they are. In the last two years, you had a different regime which was totally committed to confusion, disguise, overload blitzes, and pressures. Now you have a guy that has a little different approach. I think he’s got much more mixing, but is more inclined to be coverage. Not necessarily the two deep for which he’s famous for, but he’ll mix in single high, but it’s a one funnel. Lot of mixture of a one man dog or that type of thing. I won’t say it’s conservative, but it’s certainly a much different approach than it’s been the last two years and it really resembles what it was a few years earlier with Wade Phillips.

Q: You’ve been forced into some changes with your offensive line. How much does that factor into your game planning?
A: You don’t know. That’s the million dollar question. You’d like to say it’s not going to influence at all what you’re doing, but I don’t know how realistic that is. I think you have to take into account the matchups and make some decisions where you have to offer some assistance. Where do you have to slide a certain way? Do you have to put the back to a certain side? Do you have to put a tight end somewhere? Maybe, before where you focus more on letting your guards handle the inside guys and maybe you’re looking to help the tackles. Maybe now, that’s not the case. Maybe you have to help inside more. We’ll have to wait and see.

Q: Will you go with a regular, traditional rotation of running backs this week, with Da’Rel or somebody else?
A: We don’t know. We’ll play it by ear. We’d like to see David go maybe a little bit more than what we’ve done in the past. With the weather and everything else, you just don’t know how it’s going to play out. Da’Rel is going to play. There’s no question about that and he’s going to have to play well for us. He’s going to be a big part of what we’re doing. What that translates into is number of plays. I’d be less than honest if I told you it was going to be 20 or 30 percent. I think he’s going to be in the game. There’s no question about that, but you’d like to see David go out and have a bang up day. Make a couple of big plays for us and give us what we hope and feel he’s capable of, which was a couple of dynamic plays. Some athletic plays that not everybody can do.

Q: Da’Rel wasn’t even sure he was going to make the roster on Saturday. What about him made you keep him?
A: It just shows you how tenuous things can be for all of us, but especially in our business. You know what he did? The three times in a row where we gave him the ball and then that slip screen, I thought he showed as much of a physical presence in his running game that you’d like to see. You know he’s got the speed and you know if there’s a hole there, he’s going to exploit that and he’s got a chance, speed-wise, to go the distance, as he did a couple of years ago on that fake punt. No one’s going to catch him. It’s like David. When there isn’t a hole, can you make people miss, or can you break a tackle and run through. I thought he hit it with tremendous toughness. It was three plays in a row and they just jumped off the field at you. He’s been doing a good job, from the Pittsburgh game on, with catching the ball and blocking on third down. That’s been encouraging, but I think we were just waiting to see that …, just show us something special as a running back. I thought he did.

Q: How much better is Hakeem physically than what you had last year?
A: I think he’s a lot better. I think if there’s no setbacks, and I don’t think there are, I think he’s going to continue to get better. He’s finally getting some extended work, which he hasn’t’ had. I think his leg strength and fitness, his endurance, everything is just going to get better and better. It’s encouraging because last year, if he went out one day, he would swell up. You have to admire him and we all did appreciate his toughness, but the reality of it was he was playing far less than full strength.

Q: Doesn’t that change almost everything about what you’re able to do having a guy like Hakeem be full speed?
A: Yeah, when he is at his best, I think it forces people to defend you a little differently. It reminds you of the days when you had Plaxico in his hay day. When Hakeem is that way, people are less likely to line up and play you press man and challenge you that way because they know there’s a chance, and a pretty good chance, he’s going to make some big plays for you. When they’re not afraid of that, they can just say you go up line in a bump and run, I’m not worried about it. They take that extra defender and deploy him wherever it is. Is it in the running game? Is it doubling Victor? Is there somewhere else they’re going with this? It certainly opens up the potential to take away some other things that maybe you had an advantage in. Now, all of a sudden they neutralize with numbers.

Q: It seemed when you brought in Brandon Myers at tight end you had a guy who had a lot of catches. In the preseason it looked like you didn’t go to him a lot. Is he still learning? Is he hiding it?
A: I think it’s like anything that’s new. I don’t think anybody is as good as they are when they’ve been in the system or done something for a while. He is a person like many that I think would hopefully get better. I think he’s working at it. Maybe there are a few more options that we give that were not available to him in the previous offense. He had a couple of different coordinators too and it wasn’t really until his last year that all of a sudden he had these numbers. There were four years that there were no numbers. Once he gets it down, I think it will show that he’s productive and has the potential of being an effective part of your offense. I think he’s still very much in the formative stages, or learning stages. I think we’ve been encouraged by, A., his attitude, B., when he looks like he’s comfortable with something, he does it pretty well.

Q: Obviously we’ve all made a big deal about David Wilson’s big play ability, but you guys have also been upfront about what he needs to work on. Is he ready in those other aspects to be the guy you need?
A: We’ll see Sunday. I will say this, I have been more proud of that than anything else. I think he has really made a determined effort to be an effective blocker. He’s never going to be 6’2, 240 pounds. He’s not that kind of kid. He has shown a willingness to go after people and be aggressive. He’s done a tremendous job with what we call chipping, where he’s looking to help and sees a lineman and he’s stroked them pretty good before he’s releasing to the passing game. Of all of the things he’s done, this preseason, he’s shown a realization of how important that aspect of the game is for us. To play running back in the NFL is not just carrying the ball. There are a lot of other components to it. He also has caught the ball pretty well. I don’t think that’s ever been something that anyone thought he could do. I think it’s something he’s still getting better at. I think he’s going to continue to grow with it, but when we throw it to him he’s caught it.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Quotes-95-Coughlin-Gilbride--Fewell/92296c84-8418-41d1-b975-94142f5891c2

Shan Shariff: Why I Hate The New York Giants

Shan Shariff for 105.3 The Fan

I hate the New York Giants. No one else comes close. A Giants loss on Sunday can single-handedly save my weekend. They could be facing Johnny Lohan and I’d still root for Manziel. They’re the luckiest team in sports history.

I hate the New York Giants. Always have, always will.

Here’s why:

• I hate that they’re called “The New York Football Giants.” (Jason Garrett is a frequent violator)
  • I hate that NOTHING fazes Eli- not even dumbface & drool jokes
  • I hate that Eli Manning somehow has 2 rings
  • I hate that Eli is now viewed as a future Hall of Famer
  • I HATE that Eli-Peyton arguments even exist. Lamar Odom isn’t even that high
  • I hate that we must acknowledge Eli as ‘Mr. Clutch’
  • I HATE the David Tyree catch
  • I hate that a BS, lucky, once in a lifetime play decided a championship
  • I really, really hate that play
  • I hate that Norwood missed
  • I hate the Giants won it all as the inferior team in at least 2 Super Bowls
  • I hate that no other QB in history gets away with blind, garbage, four-leaf clover heaves like Eli
  • I hate that the SB 46 throw to Manningham felt like one of those heaves
  • David Rezazadeh ‏@davidrezazadeh @NewSchoolSS luckiest Super Bowl wins of the millennium so far #CallMeAHater
  • Did i mention I hate how lucky they are?
  • I hate how Giants fans say the word “Giants”
  • I hate the Giants “opposite theory.” Follow this at the start of every season: Take the Giants preseason expectations and flip it. If you think they’re good, they’ll suck. If you think they’ll bomb, they’ll be good. It works. EVERY. TIME.
  • I HATE the Giants owner and his snide remarks
  • I hate how he ratted out my guy Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder
  • I hate that he has the most underrated GM in football
  • I hate that the Giants produce defensive ends like Heisenberg produces meth
  • I hate that every time Eli exhales, there’s a tornado in DFW (mouth breather joke)
  • I hate that he makes every tight end good, even that whack job Marty B.
  • I hate that Eli belongs to the 1st family of football
  • I hate that NBC went out of their way to play salsa music against the Cowboys
  • Heather Buen ‏@dallassinglemom Why I hate the New York Giants? Victor Cruz – Salsa is made in the Southwest, not in New YORK! #giantssuck
  • I hate that Eli thought of something as cool as signing the wall in Cowboys Stadium :cool:
  • I hate that I’m this jealous :thanks:
  • I HATE the New York Giants. Always have, always will.
------------------------------------------------------------

He missed:

• On December 11, 2011, during the teams' first meeting of the season, with the NFC East lead on the line, the Cowboys led the Giants 34–22 with 5:41 left to play. Eli Manning led the Giants to a comeback, and Giant's Jason Pierre-Paul blocked Dallas kicker Dan Bailey's game-tying field goal with 6 seconds remaining. The Giants took a knee with 1 second left, and won the game 37–34. This game was selected as #2 on Top 20 NFL Games of 2011.[4]
  • In 2007, the Cowboys swept the Giants in the regular season (45–35 in Dallas & 31–20 in NYC) winning the NFC East with a record of 13–3 and No. 1 Seed in the NFC, but in the playoffs, the No. 5 Giants(10–6) came to Texas Stadium and stunned the top-seeded Cowboys 21–17 en route to winning Super Bowl XLII. Eli Manning scored his second-straight playoff win while Tony Romo suffered his second-straight playoff loss.

Shan Shariff: Why I Hate The New York Giants

Shan Shariff for 105.3 The Fan

I hate the New York Giants. No one else comes close. A Giants loss on Sunday can single-handedly save my weekend. They could be facing Johnny Lohan and I’d still root for Manziel. They’re the luckiest team in sports history.

I hate the New York Giants. Always have, always will.

Here’s why:

• I hate that they’re called “The New York Football Giants.” (Jason Garrett is a frequent violator)
  • I hate that NOTHING fazes Eli- not even dumbface & drool jokes
  • I hate that Eli Manning somehow has 2 rings
  • I hate that Eli is now viewed as a future Hall of Famer
  • I HATE that Eli-Peyton arguments even exist. Lamar Odom isn’t even that high
  • I hate that we must acknowledge Eli as ‘Mr. Clutch’
  • I HATE the David Tyree catch
  • I hate that a BS, lucky, once in a lifetime play decided a championship
  • I really, really hate that play
  • I hate that Norwood missed
  • I hate the Giants won it all as the inferior team in at least 2 Super Bowls
  • I hate that no other QB in history gets away with blind, garbage, four-leaf clover heaves like Eli
  • I hate that the SB 46 throw to Manningham felt like one of those heaves
  • David Rezazadeh ‏@davidrezazadeh @NewSchoolSS luckiest Super Bowl wins of the millennium so far #CallMeAHater
  • Did i mention I hate how lucky they are?
  • I hate how Giants fans say the word “Giants”
  • I hate the Giants “opposite theory.” Follow this at the start of every season: Take the Giants preseason expectations and flip it. If you think they’re good, they’ll suck. If you think they’ll bomb, they’ll be good. It works. EVERY. TIME.
  • I HATE the Giants owner and his snide remarks
  • I hate how he ratted out my guy Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder
  • I hate that he has the most underrated GM in football
  • I hate that the Giants produce defensive ends like Heisenberg produces meth
  • I hate that every time Eli exhales, there’s a tornado in DFW (mouth breather joke)
  • I hate that he makes every tight end good, even that whack job Marty B.
  • I hate that Eli belongs to the 1st family of football
  • I hate that NBC went out of their way to play salsa music against the Cowboys
  • Heather Buen ‏@dallassinglemom Why I hate the New York Giants? Victor Cruz – Salsa is made in the Southwest, not in New YORK! #giantssuck
  • I hate that Eli thought of something as cool as signing the wall in Cowboys Stadium :cool:
  • I hate that I’m this jealous :thanks:
  • I HATE the New York Giants. Always have, always will.
------------------------------------------------------------

He missed:

• On December 11, 2011, during the teams' first meeting of the season, with the NFC East lead on the line, the Cowboys led the Giants 34–22 with 5:41 left to play. Eli Manning led the Giants to a comeback, and Giant's Jason Pierre-Paul blocked Dallas kicker Dan Bailey's game-tying field goal with 6 seconds remaining. The Giants took a knee with 1 second left, and won the game 37–34. This game was selected as #2 on Top 20 NFL Games of 2011.[4]
  • In 2007, the Cowboys swept the Giants in the regular season (45–35 in Dallas & 31–20 in NYC) winning the NFC East with a record of 13–3 and No. 1 Seed in the NFC, but in the playoffs, the No. 5 Giants(10–6) came to Texas Stadium and stunned the top-seeded Cowboys 21–17 en route to winning Super Bowl XLII. Eli Manning scored his second-straight playoff win while Tony Romo suffered his second-straight playoff loss.
Born in Baltimore, raised in NY - Long Island.

Thank freakin' god I chose the giants in 1983-84, when I was 10-11 years old and without a NY football affiliation. Jets were on the rise with the Sack exchange, and some fun, really good players - wes "one eyes" walker, freeman mcneil, toon eventually, and gastineau et al on D.

But, I happened to hate the color green and liked blue. So I went with LT, this unheralded Sims guy, and as a Mets / Islander/ Oriole fan, thank freakin' god for the Giants finding a way, especially since '90 or so.

Shaun O'Hara reviews game film

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/Shaun-O-Hara/article-1/Watch-Shaun-OHara-reviews-game-film/30b2f29b-4934-4753-a304-1f425906a9f7

• DEFENSE KEPT NYG ALIVE DESPITE SIX TURNOVERS FROM OFFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS
Really, the Giants were still in this game because of the play of the defense. They were able to keep the Cowboys out of the end zone. They forced them to kick field goals, and then I thought they did a great job on third down. The Cowboys were 5 of 15, or 33 percent, on third down. So give a lot of credit to them. They stepped up. They kept the Giants in the game, and really when the Giants got the ball back in the fourth quarter with two minutes to go in the game, they had a chance to go back and win this football game. That’s all you can ask for from the defense.

• THREE PLAYS THAT CHANGED THE GAME

1) Eli Manning throws an interception on the first play from scrimmage.

I love the play call. First play of the game, you’re going against a new defense, they’re revved up ready to go, they’re in full attack mode, so you dial up a screen. You know they’re going to be flying up the field, and what you really want to do is slow that pass rush down for later on in the game. Let’s go into the play. You see the Giants get what they want. When you call a screen, you want the defensive linemen penetrating. The offensive linemen have let them go. There is a lot of space out by the numbers – that’s what you want when you call a screen play. Now we all know the outcome, but the two people responsible for the interception are: Will Beatty, his job is to block DeMarcus Ware all day long. He lets him get inside, that’s the first mistake. The second mistake is Eli doesn’t see him, but had he seen him, you’ve got to burn that football and throw it into the ground and go on to the next play. Two errors combined to make for a terrible start to the opening game.

2) DT Linval Joseph and DE Jason Pierre-Paul team up to sack Tony Romo with 7:08 left in the game.

The Giants front four really struggled all game long to get pressure on Tony Romo, but here in the fourth quarter they found a way to get to him. Linval Joseph did a great job against Cowboys guard Mackenzy Bernadeau, and that’s the way you want to get pressure on a quarterback – right up the “A” gap. He wants to step up, but he can’t step up because Linval Joseph does a great job of prying the guard open. And of course Justin Tuck comes around the edge and he piles on. This is what you like to see if you’re a defensive coordinator. Guys are getting pressure. You can drop now in coverage. You can play a little bit different type of scheme defensively, and that’s really what Perry Fewell was trying to get out his defense the entire game.

3) Giants’ potential comeback drive ends with Manning being sacked by Jason Hatcher.

This was a big play. When you look at this play, the first thing that you see is Kevin Boothe has his head down between his legs. This is the silent count. This is one of the challenges offensive linemen go through. You have to rely on your guards to communicate where guys are. So that’s point number one. He brings his head up and sees where his guys are, but the center, the left guard and the left tackle are sliding to the left to No. 50, Sean Lee. That put Chris Snee on a big island. That’s why they pay him the big bucks. You’re one-on-one and now you’ve got a two-way go. Your three-technique player can either rush outside or inside, and that creates a lot of space. Jason Hatcher takes the inside route because he knows that this center is sliding away. That’s a lot of space to try to cover. Justin Pugh was doing a good job protecting Eli Manning, but they got pressure up the “A” gap like we saw Linval Joseph do on Tony Romo. That’s what they did to Eli Manning. He tries to step up in the pocket, and the pocket collapses. That’s why that play ended up being a sack.

• SECONDARY STEPPED UP AGAINST TALENTED DALLAS RECEIVERS

Those are very physical receivers -- Dez Bryant and Miles Austin. I think this secondary really stepped up. I thought Terrell Thomas did a great job filling in. It’s great to see him back on the field. He made some big plays and had a couple pass breakups. Now I think for the Giants, they really need Prince Amukamara to come back. He’s their number one corner. Obviously going into next week you want to have that guy out there. I think the other addition that was nice to see back out there was Aaron Ross. He did a great job showing up for the secondary.

• HOW THE DEFENSIVE LINE STOPPED THE RUN BUT HAS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT
I think defensive coordinator Perry Fewell was frustrated with not being able to get to the quarterback with that front four. That’s why you saw him kind of bring some blitzes. He dialed it up a little bit because he realized we’ve got to get pressure. When he did bring pressure with the blitz, they got to Tony Romo. They knocked him around a little bit. But that defensive line did a good job in the run game. I thought the Dallas Cowboys offensive line played well at times. For the Giants, this defense, the one thing they need to do is they need to work on their conditioning a little bit because it looked like at times the Cowboys, with their hurry-up offense, got the Giants defensive line gassed.

• RB DAVID WILSON CAN RESPOND AFTER LOSING TWO FUMBLES

We all know what David Wilson did this last year. So I think for the Giants the biggest thing they need to do is just get him back on the saddle. You fall off the horse, you've got to get right back on. They can’t let him dwell on this mentally. I think the first play of the game next week should be a run play. Let him get back in the groove. Let him take his mind off things because he is a good running back. He’s a big part of their offense, and they need him on the field.

• LOOKING AHEAD: WEEK 2 AGAINST THE DENVER BRONCOS AT HOME
This is a big game. There are so many different storylines obviously. A couple of brothers are playing in this game that everybody knows about, but when you look at the poor play of the offense in turning the football over, they were still in this game because of defense. You cannot expect that to be the case when you have a Peyton Manning. We all know he just threw for seven touchdowns. You’ve got Eric Decker, you’ve got Demaryius Thomas, and you’ve got Wes Welker now. So I think the biggest part for the Giants offense this week coming into the Denver Broncos game is you have to run the football. You have to be able to take Peyton Manning, put him on the bench, and control the time of possession. That’s the way you beat the Denver Broncos. They had a couple guys step up last week defensively. So I think you start off with the run game and then I think you can hit some big play-action passes. That’s what offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride really excels in – getting those big plays in the passing game. But it starts with the run up front.

RB Brandon Jacobs returns to Giants

The Giants signed Jacobs after he performed impressively at a workout this morning. Jacobs is expected to be a veteran presence in a young backfield currently staffed by a second-year starter in David Wilson, a third-year backup in Da’Rel Scott and rookie Michael Cox. Wilson was replaced by Scott after fumbling twice in the Giants’ season-opening loss on Sunday in Dallas.

“Whatever they need me to do,” Jacobs said. “Whatever role they want me to play, I’ll come in and do it. I know the offense. I know they’ve made some tweaks here and there, and I’ll do whatever I have to do. I look forward to teaming up with David and Cox and Da’Rel and Dre (Andre Brown) whenever he gets back and try to make everybody around us better. We want to be the group that leads the team to victory.

“The Giants have given me a great opportunity. This is where I wanted to be. These are the coaches I want to play for and I wanted to come back with my teammates. This is the place I love most.”

The Giants had an opening on their roster after waiving defensive end Adewale Ojomo yesterday. They return to action Sunday at home vs. the Denver Broncos.

“I’m ready to go,” Jacobs said. “If I need to go Sunday, I can go Sunday. There’s no issue. I’ll be really excited. Now I just have to try to get Stevie Brown on the phone (so he can negotiate getting back his familiar No. 27 jersey).”

Jacobs, 6-4 and 265 pounds, joined the Giants as a fourth-round draft choice in 2005. He played in exactly 100 regular-season games for the team, with 48 starts. Jacobs is the Giants’ franchise leader with 56 rushing touchdowns. He is fourth in team history with 4,898 rushing yards. Jacobs, who topped 1,000 yards rushing in both 2007 and 2008, had 1,078 regular-season rushing attempts and averaged 4.5 yards a carry. He also caught 80 passes for 730 yards and four touchdowns.

Jacobs’ 4,898 rushing yards are 3,782 yards more than the combined total of the rest of the Giants’ active roster. The Giants were the only team in the NFL without an active rusher with at least 450 career yards. Eli Manning was their career leader with 403 yards before the signing of Jacobs.

The Giants ran for only 50 yards in their loss to the Cowboys.

In the postseason, Jacobs played in 11 games with five starts. He had 120 carries for 460 yards and four touchdowns and added eight receptions for 45 yards and another score. Jacobs was an important contributor to the Giants teams that won Super Bowls XLII and XLVI.

Jacobs, 31, signed with the San Francisco 49ers in 2012, but he played in only two games and had five carries for seven yards before he was released late in the season.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/RB-Brandon-Jacobs-returns-to-Giants/65f3d45e-24b0-461b-9e9d-e9c3a9c69e2c

Starting MLB Connor has been put on IR. His burner from the week one game must be more serious than originally thought.

Starting MLB Connor has been put on IR. His burner from the week one game must be more serious than originally thought.
Was just coming here to post this... thats a big blow. How the hell did he go from a burner to IR? I'm interested in knowing more details for sure.

According to media reports, the Giants worked out safety Kerry Rhodes (ex-Cardinals) and linebackers Jonathan Goff (ex-Redskins) and Leroy Hill (ex-Seahawks) on Tuesday.

Was just coming here to post this... thats a big blow. How the hell did he go from a burner to IR? I'm interested in knowing more details for sure.
Ugh. LB is not a good situation when Connor is such a huge loss.

According to media reports, the Giants worked out safety Kerry Rhodes (ex-Cardinals) and linebackers Jonathan Goff (ex-Redskins) and Leroy Hill (ex-Seahawks) on Tuesday.
I think I remember Goff starting to come up before his injury during his first stint as a Giant. :unsure:

I hope that the offensive line can start to gel and come together

I could be wrong but I don’t think we have had the same starting 5 out there all season, including preseason games

I hope that the offensive line can start to gel and come together

I could be wrong but I don’t think we have had the same starting 5 out there all season, including preseason games
Fairly certain you're correct... the offensive line has without question been quietly the weak link in the offense. It's kept the run game from having any effectiveness which has caused them to have to throw the ball more. When Eli is having to throw the ball almost 50 times a game he's going to start forcing passes and things will get ugly. This team also used to have one of the best play action games in the league... but with less than 100 yards rushing through 2 weeks? Nobody is falling for that crap. Really, we need the offensive line to start gelling and we need David Wilson to start clicking. The running game is going no where without the kid. Jacobs is old and looks about as fast as a guy carrying the ball on a Jazzy Power Chair. Scott is a borderline NFL talent at best. I'm really hoping, praying, performing blood sacrifices etc. that Coughlin isn't so stubborn this week and just puts Wilson out there and lets him run the ball. If he has a fumble every few games it's not a big deal... they have a FAR better chance winning if David Wilson ends the season with 10 fumbles and 1500 all purpose yards than they do if he ends the season with 2 fumbles and 300 all purpose yards. Cause for every one of Wilson's fumbles you're probably taking away 2 INTs from Eli.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/09/politi_tom_coughlin_must_cope_with_the_sudden_death_of_his_brother.html

Politi: Tom Coughlin must cope with the tragic death of his brotherJohn Coughlin was on the sidelines at MetLife Stadium on Sunday afternoon, doing what he did most weekends in the fall: Watching his famous older brother coach a football game.

It was a good day, even if the Giants lost and fell to 0-2. He had tailgated with friends from their hometown of Waterloo, N.Y., and then stopped for a couple beers at Redd’s in nearby Carlstadt.

He figured he would play it safe and take a cab to his Hackensack apartment. "I expected him to walk in the door any second," his longtime companion Suzanne Malloy said Wednesday, and when he never did, she called his cell phone.

"You better get down here!" an unfamiliar voice said after answering the phone. It was the panicked cab driver. John Coughlin had tripped and hit his head on the ground after paying his fare, and was bleeding badly.

He was already on the stretcher when Malloy got outside, about to be loaded into the ambulance. The head injury, combined with his prescription blood thinners, had caused swelling in his brain.

It was left to Malloy to make the difficult phone call the next morning to tell Tom Coughlin that his only brother was on life support, and that he needed to get to Hackensack Medical Center right away.

Football doesn’t stop for life. Coughlin, a coaching lifer, knows that better than anyone. So not even 36 hours after the Giants coach and his sisters said goodbye to their brother, he was standing at the front of the team meeting room addressing a football team facing an early-season crisis.

But first, he talked about his brother. Coughlin told his players "that time on this earth is precious and don’t allow yourself to think otherwise," according to captain Justin Tuck, a personal moment for a coach who usually is all business.

"Then he went right into the game plan," Tuck said.

Another week of practice. Another game. Coughlin will head to Charlotte, N.C., for a football game Sunday, and then he’ll travel to Waterloo, N.Y., to bury his only brother on Tuesday.

It seems impossible, really, to anyone in a normal walk of life. We get to go away and grieve when a family member dies — it is expected and understood, and any accountant or teacher who showed up the next day would be sent right back out the door by even the toughest bosses.

But in this world, compartmentalizing grief is part of the deal. Victor Cruz found out his beloved grandmother had died one year ago this week, then caught 11 passes for 179 yards in a game six days later. Tuck lost an uncle and a grandfather within weeks but only missed a pair of practices for the funerals in Alabama.

The games always go on. Forget the idea that a victory over the Panthers will ease the pain, because anyone who has ever suffered the loss of an immediate family member knows that’s nonsense.

"It’s tough, but it has to be done," Cruz said. "We’re counting on him and he’s counting on us."

Coughlin declined an interview request about his brother, citing the unexpectedness of the death and the reluctance to make himself the story this week. They were the two boys in a house with five sisters, and while they pursued different paths in life, they each chased their passions.

For John Coughlin, who was 63, it was horse racing, just like his father and grandfather. The older Coughlin men would always pick him up at St. Mary’s grammar school, using a fake dental appointment as an excuse, so he could get out of class and join them at the races.

"He always said, ‘They must have thought I had the worst teeth in Waterloo,’ " Malloy said. "He loved horses. It was in his blood."

The two men became closer when Coughlin became the Giants coach in 2004. John Coughlin, who lived in Hackensack for 20 years, worked the same early hours training horses just a short walk away at Meadowlands Racetrack.

Malloy was still in shock, gathering photos for the memorial services, when she found an old newspaper clipping. John was standing in front of a stable, next to a horse wearing a Giants cap.

"Tom had a dream," John Coughlin said in a 1999 interview with the Florida Times-Union. "He and I sat out on the porch one night talking, and he told me that he was going to coach an NFL team one day."

John Coughlin boasted that he had never missed a game, either watching them on TV or in person. So, of course, he would be there on Sunday, with Peyton Manning and the Broncos in town, watching with a sideline pass.

Malloy wasn’t sure if the coach saw his brother before they parted ways at the stadium. She is grateful that, on his final day, he was surrounded by people he loved, having a good time.

"When you look back at somebody’s life, if you can say, ‘He spent his life doing what he loved,’ then it’s a happy life," she said.

Tom Coughlin was there at 9:30 p.m. on Monday when Malloy made the decision to take his brother off life support. Less than 36 hours later, he was preparing another game plan. Football doesn’t stop for life. The games always go on.

Nicks excused from practice today for personal reasons. Plans to play Sunday.

Corey Webster didn't practice. Might be a GTD.

Soooo with the way the offensive line looks we might have a real shot at Clowney

:lookingatbrightside:

Soooo with the way the offensive line looks we might have a real shot at Clowney

Yep 3 weeks in and it looks like we'll be talking draft all season.

Can't count them out of getting another DE, so they can go back to having a srong trio like they had with Strahan, Osi and Tuck.

I think Pugh will stay at RT. So I don't see them taking an interior lineman with a 1st round pick particularly with an early to mid 1st round pick. Might be they go CB or LB.

It could also be they let Nicks walk if he wants to go or has too high a price. I hope not as, I'd like the Giants to keep him and strengthen another area rather than replacing a new hole.

Just saw this The Giants ran a total of 50 offensive plays on Sunday vs. the Panthers and 25 of those plays went for zero or negative yards

Yep 3 weeks in and it looks like we'll be talking draft all season.

Can't count them out of getting another DE, so they can go back to having a srong trio like they had with Strahan, Osi and Tuck.

I think Pugh will stay at RT. So I don't see them taking an interior lineman with a 1st round pick particularly with an early to mid 1st round pick. Might be they go CB or LB.

It could also be they let Nicks walk if he wants to go or has too high a price. I hope not as, I'd like the Giants to keep him and strengthen another area rather than replacing a new hole.
They've looked pretty bad so far but I doubt we're talking Clowney levels of bad. Then again... the Browns even have more wins than us right now. So what do I know lol

This is looking like a good season to just watch RedZone or whatever matchup looks good. Usually I'd watch every snap of every Giants game but this is getting to be too painful.

McGarnicle said:
This is looking like a good season to just watch RedZone or whatever matchup looks good. Usually I'd watch every snap of every Giants game but this is getting to be too painful.
Play was so bad I couldn't watch the other games. They were making me angrier seeing lines of other teams blocking for the QB and opening holes for the RB.

Some winnable games coming up with Eagles twice, Vikings and the Raiders. Looking like it might be a 3-6 win season. 8 wins would be a stretch at this point I think.

Is this oline different than last years guys?
Last years line was

LT Will Beatty, LG Kevin Boothe, C David Baas, RG Chris Snee, RT David Diehl

This years line is currently

LT Will Beatty, LG Kevin Boothe, C David Baas, RG Chris Snee, RT Justin Pugh

So the only difference has been the addition of Pugh. The problem isn't Pugh though right now from what I can see in rewatching the game footage. It seems like most of the breakdowns are from Beatty and up the middle with Baas and Snee. The problem right now is I think that Beatty is suboptimal at the position and Snee and Baas are both still not 100% healthy right now. It's very possible they both get healthy and all of a sudden everything just 'clicks' and they're back to last season performance. It sounds crazy but it happens with RBs, WRs, etc. so I see now reason that can't happen with a offensive lineman.

Last season they were one of the better offensive lines in the NFL. Hell, Eli Manning was sacked a total of 19 times ALL of last season, the least of any QB who started all 16 games. He's already been sacked 11 times this season, tied for second most with Michael Vick.

It doesn't really make much sense really. Right now Beatty is a huge breakdown for them through 3 games. Last season though he was one of the best LT's in the NFL. He just signed a 5 year 38.5 million dollar contract this offseason and all of a sudden he's a turn style.

Hopefully, the line gets healthy and they start playing better. An offensive line is a cohesive unit, if one or two of the guys are only playing at 80-90% the rest of the line tries to help them and then breakdowns start happening. It sucks right now and likely will ruin this season but I have a feeling they'll get it together in a few weeks.

Is this oline different than last years guys?
Last years line was

LT Will Beatty, LG Kevin Boothe, C David Baas, RG Chris Snee, RT David Diehl

This years line is currently

LT Will Beatty, LG Kevin Boothe, C David Baas, RG Chris Snee, RT Justin Pugh

So the only difference has been the addition of Pugh. The problem isn't Pugh though right now from what I can see in rewatching the game footage. It seems like most of the breakdowns are from Beatty and up the middle with Baas and Snee. The problem right now is I think that Beatty is suboptimal at the position and Snee and Baas are both still not 100% healthy right now. It's very possible they both get healthy and all of a sudden everything just 'clicks' and they're back to last season performance. It sounds crazy but it happens with RBs, WRs, etc. so I see now reason that can't happen with a offensive lineman.

Last season they were one of the better offensive lines in the NFL. Hell, Eli Manning was sacked a total of 19 times ALL of last season, the least of any QB who started all 16 games. He's already been sacked 11 times this season, tied for second most with Michael Vick.

It doesn't really make much sense really. Right now Beatty is a huge breakdown for them through 3 games. Last season though he was one of the best LT's in the NFL. He just signed a 5 year 38.5 million dollar contract this offseason and all of a sudden he's a turn style.

Hopefully, the line gets healthy and they start playing better. An offensive line is a cohesive unit, if one or two of the guys are only playing at 80-90% the rest of the line tries to help them and then breakdowns start happening. It sucks right now and likely will ruin this season but I have a feeling they'll get it together in a few weeks.
Snee and Baas had MRI's on Monday. If they are hurt so bad, shame on the coaches and trainers for not realizing they couldn't go.

I disagree that Beatty has been so bad. He had a bad game last week, but the previous two games he and Pugh have been the best linemen.

Last season they were ok at pass blocking but terrible at run blocking. The talk was the same last year, that the line need time to gel. While i think they will eventually play a little better, I don't totally buy the excuse. In the past when Suebert or O'Hara got hurt, they'd plug in Boothe and the line would be fine. Now they talk about needing time playing together.

On the bright side I suppose, is maybe the team has underestimated how the young guys would do. For example, Diehl would have beat out Pugh if not for his injured thumb and Pugh has been the second best lineman behind Beatty. Pugh, had plenty of time in camp playing with the backups to Snee and Baas. Maybe they have this connection from playing with each other that has been eluding the starters.

Saw on the crawl of the Bills/Browns game that the Giants are trying to trade for Jon Beason

Diehl expected to start at RG this week

Sure hopes this helps the OL ....it can't get worse right?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/10/veteran_david_diehl_to_start_at_right_guard_vs_eagles.html
This seems odd that you'd start Diehl at guard over Pugh. It seems the Giants are pretty set on trying to develop Pugh at Tackle for the long term. I mean I suppose it does make some semblance of sense here. Diehl's older, coming off an injury and can't move quite as good as he used too. So it could be a much larger liability at tackle than Pugh. Diehl's aging and his foot work certainly isn't what it used to be but he's probably still fine on strength to get an inside push. I'd just like to see them start the same offensive line grouping for at least two weeks in a row. That'd be comforting <_<

FOX Sports reports Giants RG Chris Snee (hip) is "likely" headed to season-ending injured reserve Friday.

Mike Garafolo reports Snee will likely need surgery on his ailing hip after it has failed to respond to rehab. It would be a big loss for the Giants, though Snee has been a major liability this season. James Brewer will continue to fill in at right guard. Snee, 31, is in the final year of his deal.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Oct 4 - 10:45 AM
I doubt Snee returns after this season, wouldn't be shocked if he retired to be honest. Reports were he was debating it during this offseason and decided to finish out his contract at the very least. This is his second hip surgery in less than a year. Clearly there's a larger issue here.

Users who are viewing this thread