What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

News source ideas please (1 Viewer)

greenmountaingoat

Footballguy
My primary source of national and world news is my apple news feed. I'm looking to add some more conservative or balanced viewpoints to my feed, which at the moment is WSJ plus a handful of (what feels like) more left leaning publications. The Atlantic, New Yorker, Guardian, Vox, Huffpo (yes, I know). I more-or-less avoid MSNBC and CNN. I will read occasional Wapo but am skeptical due to Bezos etc. Some of what seems to populate in the feed is also local papers from other areas, probably based on whatever issue I've clicked on.

I'm not on social media and don't watch TV for national or world news. 

What are some publications that would round out my experience? Part of News+ is helpful. 

In addition to the ones you had...I like the Economist, Drudge always has a link to the spin of the political topics of the day, and Al Jazeera. 

Reason is a good right-wing publication from a libertarian perspective.  It will give you a very different POV than, say, National Review or something like that.  Do be aware that it's journal of opinion and it doesn't purport to do objective journalism in the same way as something like The Atlantic might.

For news:

OAN, New York Post, Newsmax and local news. 

For news+:

Breitbart, PJ Media, Redstate, Townhall, Gateway Pundit, American Thinker, American Spectator, Conservative Treehouse, Blaze, Daily Mail, Daily Caller
FYI: All of these sources fail any reasonable credibility and bias check.

for Example:

Overall, we rate The Gateway Pundit Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of conspiracies, and numerous instances of publishing false (fake) news.

Questionable Reasoning:Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: EXTREMERIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI: All of these sources fail any reasonable credibility and bias check.

for Example:

Overall, we rate The Gateway Pundit Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of conspiracies, and numerous instances of publishing false (fake) news.

Questionable Reasoning:Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: EXTREMERIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Media Type: Website
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Also a great site to find the next fruit superfood that cures gout, melts belly fat and cures ED. The results are shocking!

Apple News+ is a subscription bundle of otherwise paywall articles. I pay like $10/month for this.

I appreciate the ideas. 

I was wondering what folks think of Newsweek. It was required reading for one class in HS but I haven't kept tabs on it. 

Reason is a good right-wing publication from a libertarian perspective.  It will give you a very different POV than, say, National Review or something like that.  Do be aware that it's journal of opinion and it doesn't purport to do objective journalism in the same way as something like The Atlantic might.
Both added. Will keep that in mind.

For news:

For news+:

Breitbart, PJ Media, Redstate, Townhall, Gateway Pundit, American Thinker, American Spectator, Conservative Treehouse, Blaze, Daily Mail, Daily Caller
All good , I’d also add Daily Wire and if you care to see what going on in Canada.  Rebel News. But no one who isn’t conservative is reading any of these sites

Apple News+ is a subscription bundle of otherwise paywall articles. I pay like $10/month for this.

I appreciate the ideas. 

I was wondering what folks think of Newsweek. It was required reading for one class in HS but I haven't kept tabs on it. 
If you ever wonder about a sites bias or credibility, just google “the site”+media +bias.

Newsweek+media+bias =

“Overall, we rate Newsweek Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and timely correction of errors.”

Detailed Report:

Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Media Type: Magazine
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

For news:

For news+:

I like how Fox News is too liberal for this list.

Avoid Vox and Huff Po and pretty much anything on that list KD put out that HT is trying to defend.

Stick to those substacks Maurile put out there and you will probably be well off.

Basically...avoid the fringe stuff from either side.  Its not a bad idea to get things from both sides...but those fringe sites offer very little (if anything at all).  Much of it ends up to be false and you are less likely to get a correction or retraction when they are shown to be wrong.

knowledge dropper said:
For news:

For news+:

I feel sorry for anyone who relies on these sources for their news and news+.  :(

I feel sorry for anyone who relies on these sources for their news and news+.  :(

I just want to point out how incredibly ironic this is coming from the guy that said gay people have ZERO civil rights protection in this country.  And said Kyle Rittenhouse was going to sell his rifle for profit. 

And those are just two gems in a multitude of them.

I just want to point out how incredibly ironic this is coming from the guy that said gay people have ZERO civil rights protection in this country.  And said Kyle Rittenhouse was going to sell his rifle for profit. 

And those are just two gems in a multitude of them.

Actually, that is not what I said (but carry on as I don't intend to debate this with you). As far as Rittenhouse was concerned, I was speculating about what he would do (and future speculation is not considered a news source) but since he wasn't given the gun back by the police, we will never really know for sure if he would have destroyed it or followed the example of George Zimmerman and sold it for a big bucks payday. 

I've been reading Christian Science Monitor for over 30 years - excellent reporting on national and international issues. I don't know much of anything about that religion and am atheist myself, but that is a great paper. It is now online only for daily news, with a weekly magazine which I don't get. Also, Economist (although that's hard to keep up with - so much content) and Financial Times (I used to have a subscription through work, no longer.)  For legal issues - Scotusblog, Lawfareblog and The Volokh Conspiracy (hosted by Reason.)

Actually, that is not what I said (but carry on as I don't intend to debate this with you). As far as Rittenhouse was concerned, I was speculating about what he would do (and future speculation is not considered a news source) but since he wasn't given the gun back by the police, we will never really know for sure if he would have destroyed it or followed the example of George Zimmerman and sold it for a big bucks payday. 
As reported allowed it to stay in custody to be melted so it didn't become a symbol. "A spokesman for Mr. Rittenhouse had previously said that he did not want the AR-15-style rifle to become a political symbol or trophy."  Good on him for this.

Much like Nicholas Sandmann the major media seems to have completely, utterly mischaracterized (and deliberately misunderstood) both their actions and character.  

greenmountaingoat said:
My primary source of national and world news is my apple news feed. I'm looking to add some more conservative or balanced viewpoints to my feed, which at the moment is WSJ plus a handful of (what feels like) more left leaning publications. The Atlantic, New Yorker, Guardian, Vox, Huffpo (yes, I know). I more-or-less avoid MSNBC and CNN. I will read occasional Wapo but am skeptical due to Bezos etc. Some of what seems to populate in the feed is also local papers from other areas, probably based on whatever issue I've clicked on.

I'm not on social media and don't watch TV for national or world news. 

What are some publications that would round out my experience? Part of News+ is helpful. 
Consortium News is a good resource for US foreign policy.  They have refreshing takes and offer nice historical context.  It was founded by the late journalist Robert Parry.  

https://consortiumnews.com/

I’m very thankful for all of the responses. It’s going to take me a while to sift through the options. I’m hoping to find wsj types with opinions mixed in but rooted in reality. The partisan bickering might seem ugly and I do find it triggering. But eventually I slowly find myself considering challenging views.

Breaking Points with Krystal and Saager if you're into podcasts/YouTube.
X2 for this.  Honestly it’s my primary source for major news and they almost always dive deep on something I’m interested knowing more about. 

X2 for this.  Honestly it’s my primary source for major news and they almost always dive deep on something I’m interested knowing more about. 
x3. It's my primary source as well. They do a lot of exposing Dem hypocrisy and corruption, which for a lot of people on this board is triggering for them.

Luckily, they also dump on the GOP & Trump when merited.

Users who are viewing this thread