What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFC West 2021: All-time most competitive division? (1 Viewer)

King of the Jungle

Footballguy
I am fascinated by this division for this coming season. I cannot think in recent history ever looking at a division and thinking that all four teams could have a legitimate shot at playing in the Super Bowl. Does anyone else share this thought? Any predictions on how you think the final standings will look like in this division?

Maybe I am in the minority….

Cardinals: Another year of experience for a talented Kyler Murray who now has new weapons AJ Green and Rondale Moore. Patrick Peterson is gone but JJ Watt can still be a game changer if healthy. This team seems to be rising.

49ers: I am a Shanahan fan. They were decimated with injury last year. The defense will be back and they host a slew of offensive weapons. This team will go as far as the QB(s) will take them.

Rams: Improve your quarterback to go along with a host of good pass catchers and they should not have trouble putting up points. Defense is as good as anyone in the league to boot.

Seahawks: New offense and more balance should open things up. I think Eskridge will be a perfect fit for a third receiver in this short passing game. DK will be DK and Lockett is a tough cover. Can Carson stay healthy and is the defense good enough?

I see four playoff capable teams that are going to duke it out this year. Should be fun to see who finishes on top and who will be left out of the post season.

Cardinals: Another year of experience for a talented Kyler Murray who now has new weapons AJ Green and Rondale Moore. Patrick Peterson is gone but JJ Watt can still be a game changer if healthy. This team seems to be rising.

49ers: I am a Shanahan fan. They were decimated with injury last year. The defense will be back and they host a slew of offensive weapons. This team will go as far as the QB(s) will take them.

Rams: Improve your quarterback to go along with a host of good pass catchers and they should not have trouble putting up points. Defense is as good as anyone in the league to boot.

Seahawks: New offense and more balance should open things up. I think Eskridge will be a perfect fit for a third receiver in this short passing game. DK will be DK and Lockett is a tough cover. Can Carson stay healthy and is the defense good enough?

I see four playoff capable teams that are going to duke it out this year. Should be fun to see who finishes on top and who will be left out of the post season.
I don't think its the best division in the NFL right now. I'd take the AFC North, sure the Bengals are worse than any of the NFC West teams, but the overall team quality is higher in my opinion.

I like Arizona to win the division. They have a good offense and a good defense. Watt is a gamechanger, and Murray seems on an MVP path. I think Butler may be an upgrade from Peterson at this point in their careers, and Simmons/Collins might be the rangiest LB combo west of Tampa. 

I've got Seattle 2nd, they might have a bad defense, but have the best QB, and best weapons on offense, also are very experienced in the playoffs.

I've got the Rams 3rd, but I'd strongly disagree with calling their defense as good as anyone. Its probably the 3rd best just in this division. They lost several starters and a DC that seemingly everyone in the NFL thinks is the next great HC. Its basically Donald and Ramsey, and then a bunch of average to bad starters. If either of those guys go down, this might be a bottom 5 defense. 

I've got San Fran pulling up the rear. I think they are good on both sides of the ball in general, but are kind of going through a rebuilding year, where they will have to deal with Lance's low points. I can't see this team winning 10 games, unless Garoppolo starts all season, and plays like he did the Super Bowl season, and that feels extremely unlikely.

I am fascinated by this division for this coming season. I cannot think in recent history ever looking at a division and thinking that all four teams could have a legitimate shot at playing in the Super Bowl. Does anyone else share this thought? Any predictions on how you think the final standings will look like in this division?
were you alive in the 80s? if not , please check the stats on the NFC East. and you had 4 of the best head coaches ( and damn good assistants) to ever coach NFL football. Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Gibbs, Buddy Ryan, BB, Tom Coughlin. the battles between the teams are legendary. Far superior to any division's competitiveness in the history of the game IMO. NFC West nowadays? not in the conversation. Please  check the players on those teams from say 1983-1994. 2021 nfc west all time most competitive division? not even close

Simply saying that in recent history I cannot recall thinking all four teams in a division could find themselves in a Super Bowl. Curious on how people think this will shake out in the standings.

were you alive in the 80s? if not , please check the stats on the NFC East. and you had 4 of the best head coaches ( and damn good assistants) to ever coach NFL football. Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Gibbs, Buddy Ryan, BB, Tom Coughlin. the battles between the teams are legendary. Far superior to any division's competitiveness in the history of the game IMO. NFC West nowadays? not in the conversation. Please  check the players on those teams from say 1983-1994. 2021 nfc west all time most competitive division? not even close
Jimmy Johnson coached Dallas starting in 1989.  Dallas was 1-15 that year.

Simply saying that in recent history I cannot recall thinking all four teams in a division could find themselves in a Super Bowl. Curious on how people think this will shake out in the standings.

Cardinals are not a SuperBowl team, but this is the best division in football and it's not particularly close.  The other three teams are all SuperBowl contenders.

I think afc east will be good too. Though admittedly I am biased. 

The AFC North has Browns/Steelers/Ravens...I would put them in the running for second best divison with the AFC East.

To me, SF, Seattle and the Rams are all worse versions of themselves a few years ago. The Cardinals? Meh. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cards are the favorite to finish last...so not a ton to be happy about.   We likely won't have a winning record.
You have a great QBs, a great set of wrs, a good rb. Solid defense. Your o line is sub standard. But I expect you cardinals to make noise. 

You have a great QBs, a great set of wrs, a good rb. Solid defense. Your o line is sub standard. But I expect you cardinals to make noise. 

Current win total is 8.5.  Lucky to make the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardinals are not a SuperBowl team, but this is the best division in football and it's not particularly close.  The other three teams are all SuperBowl contenders.
I agree that the Cardinals are least likely to make the playoffs. However they have enough talent in the right spots to make some noise if they catch a few breaks. Again, should be fun watching these teams compete against each other this year.

I agree that the Cardinals are least likely to make the playoffs. However they have enough talent in the right spots to make some noise if they catch a few breaks. Again, should be fun watching these teams compete against each other this year.
I think the unique quality in the division is that you can imagine a scenario where all 4 of those QB's make a run where they win multiple playoff games. Three guys that were chosen as top 3 picks in the draft, and the only guy that wasn't is the best of the bunch and has already won a SB.

I no longer agree with this take. 
Titans are better than they looked but the cards are fantastic and could very well win The division. 

With that D I think this is the Rams division to lose

Seahawks looked good too

Titans are hit and miss.  They look terrible sometimes and they looked terrible on the weekend

With that D I think this is the Rams division to lose

Seahawks looked good too

Titans are hit and miss.  They look terrible sometimes and they looked terrible on the weekend
I’ll reserve judgment on a defense for when they didn’t play against dalton and let Montgomery run for almost 7 yards per carry. I agree the Rams defense should be really strong. We’ll see how they play the next few weeks against competent offenses. 

I no longer agree with this take. 
Titans are better than they looked but the cards are fantastic and could very well win The division. 
It is week one, but like I said they have the talent to make some things happen. Murray looked like an MVP candidate. These are to be some great games between these four teams this year.

Most competitive division of all time was a stretch, but 3/4 made the playoffs and Seattle finished pretty strong winning their last 4/6. Two battled in the conference championships for the right to play in the Super Bowl and I think ARI would have been right there if Hopkins would not have been hurt. 

Most competitive division of all time was a stretch, but 3/4 made the playoffs and Seattle finished pretty strong winning their last 4/6. Two battled in the conference championships for the right to play in the Super Bowl and I think ARI would have been right there if Hopkins would not have been hurt. 
Yep. Having to play all of those games against each other made it hard for any to finish at the top of the conference at the end of the season (the three playoff teams were the 4, 5 and 6 seeds), but it's not surprising that the two finalists in the NFC were both from the NFC West.  Meanwhile, the Cowboys and Titans coasted to top records thanks to easy divisions and were both one and done in the playoffs.  The Titans, to their credit, did beat a lot of really good teams early in the season, but four games against the Jags and Texans (one of which they freaking lost) helped them get the 1 seed. 

Users who are viewing this thread