What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL at it again, new bag policy (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
Their calling it an increase in security but it'll also increase profits at stadium sales.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-bag-policy-definitely-ruffle-feathers-especially-among-134351237.html

The NFL strongly encourages fans to not bring any type of bags, but outlined what is permissible. Beginning with preseason games, fans will be able to carry the following style and size bag, package, or container at stadium plaza areas, stadium gates, or when approaching queue lines of fans awaiting entry into the stadium:

• Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12.” (Official NFL team logo clear plastic tote bags are available through club merchandise outlets or at nflshop.com), or
  • One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
  • Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium with one of the clear plastic bag options.
  • An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at a gate designated for this purpose.
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.

Add that to the list of reasons I like to watch the games at home on my 65inch plasma. Not to mention the price of tickets/food/parking/drinks. Insanity.

Add that to the list of reasons I like to watch the games at home on my 65inch plasma. Not to mention the price of tickets/food/parking/drinks. Insanity.
No kidding. Who on Earth would be a season ticket holder these days? If I wanted to spend thousands of dollars to be gouged unconscionably *and* treated like a criminal, I'd be a commercial airline passenger for a living.

So, spend 4 hours in Ralph Wilson stadium during December with no seat cushion and nothing to warm me up or stay home...easy choice.

Scott Ostler had a great take on the direction this is going: pretty soon everyone will be required to strip naked at the turnstiles, and go straight to the team store to buy "safe" clothing to wear to in the stadium.

Rules created by guys in suits in suites, killing the game for guys in neither.
Whenever I've been lucky enough to be invited to a luxury box for MLB, NFL or NHL I've never had to go through the same type of security checks that I have when I had a seat anywhere else. The whole thing is a money grab and gives me no desire to go see a game in person any more.

Lambeau Field without a seat cushion sounds miserable. I'm guessing the price to rent will be going up.
I've gone to games at Lambeau Field since age 5 (nearly 35 years) without a seat cushion. It's not miserable at all. What type of ####### hang out in the SP these days?

Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.
So now every line is going to take 2.5 hours as security argues with everyone other woman about the size of her purse? Good luck with that.

Judging from the comments, I am in the minority, but I would prefer to see this extra security, rather than a successful terrorist attack which would be televised live.

Judging from the comments, I am in the minority, but I would prefer to see this extra security, rather than a successful terrorist attack which would be televised live.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
You're referring to a sporting event and not some invading foe. In other words, you are misusing that quote quite poorly.

You're referring to a sporting event and not some invading foe. In other words, you are misusing that quote quite poorly.
Excuse me, Mr NSA supporter, let me enlighten you:

That quote is used as a warning not to let fear dictate your liberties --in this case privacy-- , what kind of life can you have without essential liberties? A scared cowardly life.

Also, idiots that give up privacy because of the fear of terrorism need to remember what the IRA did to the tea party and realize privacy --along with other liberties-- is important because people in charge will use the information they have against you.

Can you imagine a government that knows everything about everyone --like the one we are in right now actually--? They could literally use anything against you --since its say to safe the majority of us don't have a perfectly clean past-- if you decide to question any actions they take --essentially becoming a dictatorship and no longer for the people--.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two fallacies here:

One, that this policy would stop terrorist attacks.

Two, that any policy which would stop terrorist attacks is OK.

Yep. I could smuggle more in my clothes than in my purse. And if I can't carry personal products and medications in privacy, they can just kiss my aspidistra.

This has been going on around the world at sporting events for years. No biggie.Not sure how effective it is but perhaps it is preventive.

If people stop buying tickets and the stadiums stop being a revenue stream because of this, expect to pay more for cable tv.

Good for the NFL and its fans. No one should be worried about safety when going to a sporting event.
And you will be 100% secure from your car, to the stadium, in the stadium, and on the way back to you car. It is absolutely guaranteed you will come to no harm whatsoever at the hands of anybody, because you cannot carry a bag into the stadium.

GIve me a ******* break.

:lmao:

I was vehemently told this doesn't happen at sporting events, in the Boston Bombing thread; even after I linked some venue's protocol stating the restriction.

Oh yes, being not allowed to bring a backpack into a sporting event is giving up essential liberty. :D

make the event safer is one thing, but the new NFL is about making the most money and I think that what this is really about.

One, I didn't say or suggest that this policy was guaranteed to stop all terrorist attacks (since no policy could do that).

Two, I didn't say or suggest that any policy which would stop terrorists attacks is OK.

Outside of that, you correctly summarized my position.

season ticket holder here, I have no problem with most of this. I tailgate for 4 hours and enter the stadium full and properly buzzed. Seat cushions? I'd like to see an exemption for stadiums with bleachers (not mine). And why are people arguing about paying more inside the stadium? You can still bring in a gallon size ziploc bag for your homemade sandwiches at halftime. Maybe I'm missing something, but this rule change has zero affect on me

I just feel bad for all the guys who have to walk back to the car and miss kickoff because their significant other couldn't read the regulations and brought the wrong purse

That quote is used as a warning not to let fear dictate your liberties --in this case privacy-- , what kind of life can you have without essential liberties? A scared cowardly life.
You mad, bro? How is this infringing on your essential liberties? I want to carry a gun but I cannot carry a gun in most public places, i.e. stores, stadiums, parks. I want to smoke in a building yet I cannot due to health concerns for others.

How does this infringe on your privacy? Answer, it does not. You don't like the product the NFL is selling, don't buy it. Talk with your money instead of your mouth... it just might sound better.

In terms of the idea of individual freedom, there is nothing being legally violated here. You are an individual person who by buying an individual ticket to a presentation put on by an independant organization. When a person goes to a game, he or she is entering into a contract with the organization. If a person does not like the restrictions that the entity is placing on seeing the presentation, that person simply does not agree to the terms..i.e. not show up to the games.

Don't confuse the fact that 70,000 other people are in attendence make it public or "government" event or even more dicey the fact the many if not most of the stadiums have some (if not all) amount of tax payer funding still does not mean that the party putting on the event, "the NFL," does not have the right to restrict your behavior at the event.

There is no true violation of individual freedoms, just people who need to figure out what's more important (short or long term) the ability to carry a reasonable sized backpack into a football stadium or the enjoyment of being at the stadium that openly tells individuals to only bring keys, ID and a ticket to the event(slight exaggeration).

You mad, bro? How is this infringing on your essential liberties? I want to carry a gun but I cannot carry a gun in most public places, i.e. stores, stadiums, parks. I want to smoke in a building yet I cannot due to health concerns for others.

How does this infringe on your privacy? Answer, it does not. You don't like the product the NFL is selling, don't buy it. Talk with your money instead of your mouth... it just might sound better.
I am not mad nor am I your bro. I feel bad for the diabetic that wants to go to a NFL game without every single person there knowing their health problems -- I guess its just a case of too bad for them huh--

Oh yes, being not allowed to bring a backpack into a sporting event is giving up essential liberty. :D
It is. You just aren't smart enough to realize how. I don't care if its a sporting event because if the general public is okay with what the NFL is doing then guess what, other people will see that and make us give up even more rights in the name of "safety". When it is all bull, either control when the government does it or for $$ when something like the NFL does it.

It is. You just aren't smart enough to realize how. I don't care if its a sporting event because if the general public is okay with what the NFL is doing then guess what, other people will see that and make us give up even more rights in the name of "safety". When it is all bull, either control when the government does it or for $$ when something like the NFL does it.
Rather condescending remark.

Irrespective of your views on my intelligence, I am smart enough to realize there aren't any rights being given up here, unless you are contending that you have the right to bring anything you want into a stadium sporting event.

Where the hell do you live that you can't carry a gun in stores or parks?

I'm fairly well versed in the various states' carry laws and I cannot figure out where you are referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread