What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Coaching Changes: 2005 (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
Those of you around last year probably remember the threads I maintained about the Coaching Carousel; which served as a central place to discuss the firings, openings, interviews, and hirings around the league.

This year I will do the same, updating the master list as we go along and compiling the final results as part of our End of Season Report, which will be reminiscent of last year's version http://apps.footballguys.com/03offseason.cfm.

Thus far we've got the following openings:

Head Coaching Vacancies

Miami Dolphins -- Nick Saban has agreed to be the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins and will have control over football operations, as well. His contract is in the range of $4.5 to $5 million per year, for five years.

Cleveland Browns -- In one of the worst kept secrets in NFL history, Romeo Crennel was formally named the Browns' newest Head Coach, given a 5-year, $11 million deal. Crennel, the defensive coordinator for the Patriots 3 SB teams, gets his first chance at being a head coach after 35 years in the business.
San Francisco 49ers -- Mike Nolan, the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator, has accepted an offer to become the 49ers new head coach. Nolan replaces Dennis Erickson, who was unceremoniously let go after a dismal 2-14 record.Assistant Coaching Vacancies

Arizona Offensive Coordinator -- Keith Rowen, the KC Chiefs TE coach, was hired to replace Alex Wood as the Cardinals OC. Alex Wood was fired after one season in Arizona.
Baltimore Offensive Coordinator -- Jim Fassel, who served as a Ravens consultant last season, has agreed to take over the Offensive Coordinator opening created when the team released Matt Cavanaugh. Fassel, who spent 7 years as head coach of the New York Giants, had openly campaigned for the vacant head coaching jobs but lack of interest apparently changed his mind about returning to the coordinator ranks. Matt Cavanaugh was fired after spending six years as Brian Billick's offensive coordinator. For most, the firing is long overdue as Cavanaugh has failed to create a top tier offense once in his six seasons.
Baltimore Defensive Coordinator -- The Ravens stayed inhouse to find departed DC Mike Nolan's replacement. Nolan, who accepted the 49ers head coaching vacancy, is replaced by Rex Ryan, who has served as the Ravens defensive line coach since 1999. Ryan is the son of Buddy Ryan, and the twin brother of embattled Oakland DC Rob Ryan.
Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator -- Lovie Smith named Ron Turner the new Offensive Coordinator for the Chicago Bears. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6094 Turner, a former Bears coordinator, returns to Soldier Field following his ouster at the University of Illinois. Turner replaces OC Terry Shea, who served just one year in his first go around as a coordinator. Shea was charged with implementing the #### Vermeil-style spread offense that has worked so well in St. Louis and Kansas City, but injuries (and lack of experience) hampered the Bear's production on offense this year. Smith discussed a desire to have a more power-run based offense; so expect an outside candidate to emerge with experience in a more traditional power football roots.
Cincinnati Bengals Defensive Coordinator -- Chuck Bresnahan, who served in a consulting capacity last season but was the Oakland Raiders DC for four seasons prior to that, has taken over the Bengals' Defensive Coordinator position in place of departed Leslie Frazier.
Cleveland Browns Offensive Coordinator -- Romeo Crennel has tabbed Maurice Carthon to be his Offensive Coordinator in Cleveland.
Cleveland Browns Defensive Coordinator -- TBD
Detroit Lions Offensive Coordinator -- Ted Tollner, who served as the SF 49ers offensive coordinator last year under Dennis Erickson, has been named Sherm Lewis' replacement in Detroit. Tollner will apparently call the offensive plays instead of Mariucci as part of his duties.
Dallas Cowboys Offensive Coordinator -- With Maurice Carthon leaving Dallas to become Offensive Coordinator in Cleveland, Bill Parcells needs a new OC himself. Look for Sean Payton (DAL Ast Coach - Offense) to get a long look.
Green Bay Packers Defensive Coordinator -- Former Miami Dolphins Coordinator and interim Head Coach Jim Bates has joined the Green Bay Packers as Defensive Coordinator. Bates is the team's 3rd DC in as many years, replacing Bob Slowik.
Jacksonville Jaguars Offensive Coordinator -- Carl Smith, who served as the USC Trojans QB coach last season, but has also been an NFL coordinator (most recently the OC in New Orleans under Jim Mora) has accepted the position of Offensive Coordinator in Jacksonville; replacing Bill Musgrave.
Miami Dolphins Offensive Coordinator -- Nick Saban landed one of the most coveted offensive assistants when Scott Linehan agreed to become the Dolphins new Offensive Coordinator. Linehan had served as the Minnesota Vikings' OC for the last three seasons, where the team was consistently ranked among the most productive offenses in the league.
Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator -- Richard Smith, who served the last two seasons as the LB coach in Detroit, has been named Defensive coordinator for the Dolphins.
Minnesota Vikings Offensive Coordinator -- Rather than look outside the organization in a comprehensive search to replace departed OC Scott Linehan, the Minnesota Vikings have promoted Scott Loney to the position of OC. Loney has been the team's offensive line coach the past three season.
New England Patriots Offensive Coordinator -- Charlie Weis is set to become the new head coach of Notre Dame and will leave the Patriots at the conclusion of their playoff run. Most expect Belichick to promote someone in house, but this is worth noting nonetheless. Few OCs have been as successful and creative as Weis in recent years.
New England Patriots Defensive Coordinator -- After a contentious bidding war with two of his former assistants-turned-head coaches, Bill Belichick won out and retained the services of Eric Mangini, who replaces Romeo Crennel as Defensive Coordinator.
New Orleans Saints Offensive Coordinator -- Mike McCarthy, whose contract expired this offseason, was replaced by Mike Sheppard, who was promoted to the position of Offensive Coordinator from his prior role as Quarterbacks coach. Sheppard has served as offensive coordinator in Buffalo (2001) and San Diego (1997-1998) previously. His teams have never finished higher than 26th in scoring under his OC tenure, not a great sign for a Saints team desperate to finally show consistency on both sides of the ball.
New York Jets Offensive Coordinator -- Mike Heimerdinger, who spent the last five seasons as the Titans Offensive Coordinator, has accepted a deal to replace the departed Paul Hackett as the Jets' Offensive Coordinator. Heimerdinger, who oversaw the development of the Titans offense from a conservative one dimensional running style to a more balanced attack featuring Steve McNair as an MVP caliber passer, is considered a coup for the Jets who have been plagued by conservatism under the now departed Hackett.
San Francisco 49ers Offensive Coordinator -- Mike Nolan named Mike McCarthy the 49ers new Offensive Coordinator. McCarthy spent the last 5 seasons as Offensive Coordinator in New Orleans, promises to return SF to its West Coast roots, having learned his trade under WC iniaties Paul Hackett and Mike Holmgren.
San Francisco 49ers Defensive Coordinator -- Mike Nolan named Billy Davis the 49ers new Defensive Coordinator. Davis has 13 years of NFL experience, primarily as a linebackers coach. He served under Tom Coughlin a year ago, but worked with Nolan in Atlanta under Dan Reeves.
Tennessee Titans Offensive Coordinator -- In somewhat of a coup, Jeff Fisher (a former USC Trojan) has lured Norm Chow, the collegiate QB mastermind, away from USC and into the NFL coaching ranks for the first time. Chow, 58 years old, replaces Mike Heimerdinger, who accepted an offer to become the Offensive Coordinator with the New York Jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints OC Mike McCarthy's contract has expired. Not exactly a firing, but the job is currently vacant.

Saints OC Mike McCarthy's contract has expired. Not exactly a firing, but the job is currently vacant.
Pretty sure Saints DC Rick Venturi's contract is also expired. In any case, it's a slam dunk he won't be retained.

Cowboys have alot of people that should bear alot of attention this offseason.DC Mike Zimmer was kept a year ago now and strongly considerring college jobs. He and Parcells differ strongly on speed vs power/size on D. Just the base theory, they DO get along. Zimmer, however, is quietly one of the strongest DC in the league and looked upon favorably by countless owners.Pepper Johnson(another former Parcells player) has been doing wonders with the Patriot LBers and is primed for a DC position in the NFL. It wouldn't surprise me to see Zimmer walk and Pepper replace him.Sean Payton was rumorred to be the Raiders head coach(about a year ago) but wasn't. He's an OC while Maurice Carthon(a parcells player from years ago) has been groomed to be Parcells OC. Maurice was the OC in Detroit. You can google each of these two and find each listed as the present Boys OC. Each also hold another title like Payton being QB coach and Maurice RBs coach. It's rather confusing to say the least. Payton was a highly regarded young assistant under Fassel. He joined Parcells to get some added experience before he got his shot to coach in the NFL. Everything is setup so he can walk and there's little change in Cowboyland.Old cowboy coach Dave Campo will likely be available as the Browns replace their staff. Wahnstedht(sp?) is of course on the market and all his staff could likely follow.

In about one week you should be able to add New York Jets offensive coordinator to this list.Thanks for compiling this for us J :thumbup:

In about one week you should be able to add New York Jets offensive coordinator to this list.Thanks for compiling this for us J:thumbsup:
Agreed on that Chase...I think it's pretty clear that the Paul Hackett days in NYJ are numbered. I wonder where they'll look for a replacement though? I would think of the current pro options, Linehan will be on just about everyone's short list...but I could see Linehan moving to 'Zona with Denny.Any thoughts on who Herm has ties to from his prior coaching stints?

In about one week you should be able to add New York Jets offensive coordinator to this list.Thanks for compiling this for us J:thumbsup:
Agreed on that Chase...I think it's pretty clear that the Paul Hackett days in NYJ are numbered. I wonder where they'll look for a replacement though? I would think of the current pro options, Linehan will be on just about everyone's short list...but I could see Linehan moving to 'Zona with Denny.Any thoughts on who Herm has ties to from his prior coaching stints?
I wish it would be Norm Chow. His coaching days consisted of Tampa Bay, so I'd hope he doesn't bring over any of those assistants:)Realistically, Bradway (the GM) will be making the decision, with input from Herm.

I like Saban but once againI really dont see a lot of coaches that can handle scouting and prep work.Does anyone have examples where this has worked???I mean yes it works for Bellicheck but he didnt come straight from college.erm. .. who else? who else...nada.Yeah. Im thinking they go 6-10, 8-8, and then hover there ???

I wish it would be Norm Chow. His coaching days consisted of Tampa Bay, so I'd hope he doesn't bring over any of those assistants:)Realistically, Bradway (the GM) will be making the decision, with input from Herm.
They mentioned Chow for the Jags OC job. Maybe things would be different going to a big market team like the Jets, I just couldn't see him going to a small-market team with a defensive-minded head coach. Wouldn't Chow be able to ask for a head-coaching job in the NFL?

I like Saban but once againI really dont see a lot of coaches that can handle scouting and prep work.Does anyone have examples where this has worked???I mean yes it works for Bellicheck but he didnt come straight from college.erm. .. who else? who else...nada.Yeah. Im thinking they go 6-10, 8-8, and then hover there ???
It's worked beautifully for Andy ReidTo a lesser extent it's worked well for Mike Sherman.

Jason, rumor here in Baltimore is that Billick's gonna make a strong push for Linahan. Fassel's also been mentioned by Billick, but it's well known that he wants another HC job.

Mort confirmed strong rumors about Nick Saban hiring both his coordinators from the Texans staff -- Joe Pendry for OC and Grantham for DC

Any chance my Giants get a new DC? And STC? And while were at it, 3 OL, 2 WR, 3 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, and 2 DT?Just asking.

Updated to reflect Dennis Erickson's firing...
Donahue's gone toohttp://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...05/niners05.TMP
Which makes my Holmgren leaving Seattle to run football ops at SF idea a LOT less crazy sounding :popcorn:
Good article related to YOUR idea.LINK TO ARTICLE

Holmgren has taken a pass on dream job

Ira Miller

Wednesday, November 3, 2004

Mike Holmgren, whose Seattle Seahawks play the 49ers on Sunday, could have been the 49ers' coach. At one time, it was the job Holmgren wanted above all others. At least twice in recent years, there was a window of opportunity for him to get it.

But we rarely get our dream job, and Holmgren did not.

Lucky for him; it's no longer a dream job, but a nightmare. No one could have foreseen the pile of dung the 49ers would become, and no mortal coach could solve this mess.

Or maybe he did foresee it and that's why Holmgren, who grew up in San Francisco and attended Lincoln High School, was not interested in pursuing the chance.

Accounts pieced together from several sources say that Holmgren likely could have had the San Francisco job after the 1998 season, when he left Green Bay to go to Seattle, and again after the 2002 season, when Steve Mariucci was fired by the 49ers.

He did not make the slightest attempt, however, to get the job either time.

Holmgren, who joined Bill Walsh's staff as quarterbacks' coach in 1986 and was George Seifert's offensive coordinator for three years, admits that the 49ers' coaching position was "at one time, really, my dream job."

Yet, Holmgren-to-the-49ers is likely to remain forever one of those what- if tales.

Seifert, who led the team to two Super Bowl championships during his eight-year reign (1989-1996), is the only San Francisco native to coach the 49ers. Holmgren would have been the second.

With Green Bay for seven seasons and now in Year 6 with Seattle, Holmgren has been a successful NFL coach. His 129 career victories rank fourth among active coaches, behind Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs. He coached the Packers to three NFC Championship Games, two NFC titles and one Super Bowl victory. Only two of his first five Seattle teams qualified for the playoffs, both losing in the first round, but this year's team, despite a three-game losing streak that ended Sunday against Carolina, is one of the favorites.

Holmgren declined to discuss the specifics of inquiries made by the 49ers. From others, this is what is known:

-- At the end of the 1998 season, Holmgren had permission to leave Green Bay for a coach- ing/general-manager position. At the same time, Mariucci was negotiating a contract extension and the 49ers' ownership was in flux, with Eddie DeBartolo on his way out, and his sister, Denise DeBartolo York, on her way in.

DeBartolo sent word through intermediaries that Holmgren could have the 49ers' job if he wanted it. However, Holmgren was wary of the 49ers' situation even then, was in the process of getting a huge offer from the Seahawks, and it wasn't clear, at any rate, that the 49ers would give Holmgren the kind of coach/GM authority that Seattle would.

The 49ers said at the time they had no intention of replacing Mariucci. But after they agreed with him on a contract extension, the deal suddenly fell apart -- and then was put back together, by the strangest of coincidence, on the day that word came Seattle had signed Holmgren.

-- Following the 2002 season, when the 49ers fired Mariucci, Holmgren was in limbo, to a degree, in Seattle, with the team about to take away his general manager's title. Because of that, Holmgren could have escaped from his Seattle contract and come to the 49ers, but he wanted to finish what he started with the Seahawks, and, once more, he apparently did not find the San Francisco ownership situation particularly inviting.

Even though Holmgren no longer has the title of general manager -- Bob Ferguson fills that role -- Holmgren appears to have as much control over the Seahawks' roster as he ever had. He surely would not have been interested in taking on the teardown project upon which the 49ers embarked under ownership that was counting its pennies so tightly.

Of course, with responsibility for the roster comes responsibility for the results, too, and the Seahawks have been through a meltdown and beset by injuries since they blew a 17-point lead in the final six minutes against St. Louis. That, coupled with an upset loss at Arizona 11 days ago, means the Seahawks have precious little margin for error, particularly in division games.

The possibility that Holmgren might have become the 49ers' coach was discussed on the edges of the organization for years. Walsh was a strong supporter of Holmgren.

But Holmgren, who still has a vacation home in the Bay Area, acknowledged that going to work for the 49ers was only a nice, passing thought that is not likely ever to be fulfilled.

"Because of my ties there ... it was probably the job I always wanted, but the timing was never right," he said.

file=/chronicle/archive/2004/11/03/SPGLE9KMG41.DTL

The Cardinals hired Chiefs TE coach Keith Rowen as offensive coordinator. I like this move and think he'll be a good coordinator.

CARDINALS ANNOUNCE COACHING STAFF CHANGESTempe, AZ The Arizona Cardinals today announced that the team has hired KEITH ROWEN as offensive coordinator. In addition, tight ends coach MIKE WILSON will move to receivers coach and offensive consultant CARL HARGRAVE will coach tight ends.A 30-year coaching veteran, Rowen recently completed his 21st season as an NFL assistant. He spent the last six campaigns as tight ends coach with Kansas City, during which time Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez earned six Pro Bowl selections and set numerous franchise records. The Chiefs offense ranked #1 in the NFL this past season.Rowen, 52, is reunited with Cardinals head coach Dennis Green, for whom he served as offensive line coach with the Minnesota Vikings from 1994-96. During that time, Vikings guard Randall McDaniel started in three Pro Bowls and Rowen aided the development of future all-pro linemen Jeff Christie and Todd Steussie.“From our time together in Minnesota, I know that Keith has a tremendous grasp of this offensive system and what we expect from it,” said Green. “We had some outstanding offensive seasons with the Vikings and Keith has also been involved with some incredible offenses since then, most recently in Kansas City under the legendary **** Vermeil. I’m confident we can have similar success in Arizona with Keith as offensive coordinator.” His NFL coaching resume also includes stints with the Raiders (assistant head coach/offensive line, 1997-98), Falcons (offensive line, 1990-93), Patriots (tight ends, 1989), Colts (offensive line/special teams, 1985-88), and Browns (running backs, 1984) as well as a two-year stint as offensive coordinator/offensive line coach with the Boston/New Orleans Breakers of the USFL in 1983-84. Rowen also coached on the collegiate level at Arizona (1979-82), Long Beach State (1977-78) and Stanford (1975-76).A native of New York, Rowen earned three letters as an offensive tackle at Stanford (1972-74). He was an All-America selection as a senior and an 11th round draft choice of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1975. He was also an academic All-America at Stanford. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degree from Stanford as well as a doctorate in athletic administration from the University of Southern California. His father, Vic, was the head coach at San Francisco State University for over 35 years. Before coming to the Cardinals last year, Wilson coached receivers for the U.S.C. Trojans from 1997-2000, Oakland Raiders (1995-96) and Stanford Cardinal (1992-94). He also spent 10 seasons as a wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers from 1981-90 and became just the third receiver in NFL history to earn four Super Bowl rings (Pittsburgh’s John Stallworth and Lynn Swann were the others).Hargrave joined the Arizona coaching staff during the 2004 season as a consultant. He had previously served on Green’s staff with the Vikings for eight seasons (1994-01), coaching both running backs and tight ends. Hargrave also coached on the college level at Upper Iowa (1977-80), Northwestern (1981-85), Pittsburgh (1986), Houston (1987-91) and Iowa (1992-93).

Pretty sure Saints DC Rick Venturi's contract is also expired. In any case, it's a slam dunk he won't be retained.
Venturi has a year left on his contract.

Savage is officially the Browns GM, so one would think Nolan, Crennel and Fassel will be on a short list; secondary to Kirk Ferentz, Savage's likely top choice.

Any truth to the rumor that Venturi was relieved of his responsibilities around week 12?

Seems clear as day to me that the 49ers will wind up withHC: Pete CarrollPersonnel (possibly GM): Pat KirwanDef Coach (possibly DC): Leslie FrazierMy basis is gut feeling, profootballtalk.com, and recent Pat Kirwan NFL.com articles.I guess the 9ers will take a QB afterall. Meet your 2005 #1 draft pick: Mr. Matthew Lienhart

Ravens interviewed Rick Neuheisel today for the open offensive coordinator post, although it sounds more like a favor from Billick to Neuheisel than a serious interview. The Ravens also plan on interviewing New Orleans QB coach Mike Sheppard, MIN OC Scott Linehan, and former Illinois head coach Ron Turner. Billick also confirmed that Jim Fassel is not an option as he's intent on pursuing head coaching vacancies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1960886

Zimmer is almost for sure a goner. Local NBC affiliate and the insiders on the Ticket are reporting as much. Could happen today. He'll get snapped up pretty fast I figure.Worth noting that 6 playoff teams had worse ranked D's than the horrible Cowboy D this year.Larry Lacewell (Scouting) retired yesterday. Not a coaching change but worth noting.

Zimmer is almost for sure a goner. Local NBC affiliate and the insiders on the Ticket are reporting as much. Could happen today. He'll get snapped up pretty fast I figure.Worth noting that 6 playoff teams had worse ranked D's than the horrible Cowboy D this year.Larry Lacewell (Scouting) retired yesterday. Not a coaching change but worth noting.
Only one defensive coordinator has been fired (where the head coach remains) and that was in Cincy where Marvin Lewis is expected to name Chuck Bresnahan the new DC.But I agree that once the playoffs start settling down, inevitably a few other teams will be looking to upgrade their defensive staff and Zimmer is a logical choice.There was some talk that Norv will need to make some changes in Oakland, I could see Zimmer going to Oaktown in replacement of Buddy Ryan's kid.

The Redskins are talking to Bill Musgrave about being the qb coach. Jack Burns, a long time Gibbs coach, would be re-assigned. Here is the article in the Washington Post

I don't know if you want to go down this far in the coaching ranks, but I was surprised by this.

On a side note: John Riggins yesterday said he thought Gibbs should hire an offensive coordinater and thought Linahan was the hot coach to get. That would be really interesting.

The Redskins are talking to Bill Musgrave about being the qb coach. Jack Burns, a long time Gibbs coach, would be re-assigned. Here is the article in the Washington PostI don't know if you want to go down this far in the coaching ranks, but I was surprised by this. On a side note: John Riggins yesterday said he thought Gibbs should hire an offensive coordinater and thought Linahan was the hot coach to get. That would be really interesting.
In talking to my buddy down in Ravens land, he said his contacts inside the organization indicate that Linehan is priority number one, and they will move VERY quickly if (when?) the Vikings are ousted from the playoffs. Apparently there is some concern that Linehan will be given a big-time offer by the Jets as well, but the Ravens believe they have a few days lead time even if NY loses their own playoff game this week.NY would have to formally fire Hackett and then initiate requests for interviews, so if BAL can come to terms with Linehan quickly, it will do so.The other name floating around is R. Turner, but word is Turner REALLY wants the Bears job and prefers to stay in Illinois for a variety of reasons (including family needs).

I can't believe the fish hired a college coach instead of ripping Crennel off from the Pats.Plus with the same LAM GM - they are going NOWHERE :X

I can't believe the fish hired a college coach instead of ripping Crennel off from the Pats.Plus with the same LAM GM - they are going NOWHERE :X
FYI, Saban is in charge of football operations. It's expected that Spielman will be offered a chance to remain with the team in a limited capacity (as a scout most likely) but he won't be the GM under the new Dolphins formulation.

The Redskins are talking to Bill Musgrave about being the qb coach. Jack Burns, a long time Gibbs coach, would be re-assigned. Here is the article in the Washington PostI don't know if you want to go down this far in the coaching ranks, but I was surprised by this.
I'm surprised by it, too. I don't know anything about Musgrave, but with the Jacksonville offense performing so poorly under him this year it seems odd he'd be hired to improved the Redskins' offense (or anyone's offense). Apparently he was hired "because they know him."
"We've got somebody that a lot of us know, who have been around him," Gibbs said of Musgrave today at Redskins Park. "I think he's our kind of guy. He's bright, sharp. He comes from a different tree as far as offense goes, which is good. He brings in a lot of new ideas. So we're looking for ideas there. His primary focus will be the quarterbacks.

Jason,Do you really think the Ravens will be able to land a top-notch OC? While the prime benefit of going to the Ravens is that there is nowhere to go but up, one has to wonder if the OC will have any autonomy. Consider that Cavanaugh was the OC for 6 years and the best finishes (exactly 2) were mere mediocracy with 2/3 being spent in the bottom 1/3 of the league - in terms of total yards. Since the 2000 season, the mantra for their offense has been not to lose games. So how will a new coordinator impact a game plan predicated on not losing?Furthermore, you have to wonder why Billick, who is an offensive genius at least in his own mind, would stick with someone who consistently delivered sub-par results? The answer is probably that Cavanaugh simply QB'd Billick's offense. If that is true, would a new OC be able to implement his own offense and his own game plan? My guess is that it would simply be another puppet, in which case, the Ravens addressable market of candidates would have to exclude any professional candidates and be limited to collegiant candidates.I would be curious to read your thoughts.

Turner signs with Bears:

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Former Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner became the current Bears offensive coordinator Saturday when he was hired to replace Terry Shea.

Turner returns to the position he held from 1993-96 after spending the last eight seasons as head coach at the University of Illinois. He was fired in November after compiling a 35-57 record.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6094

The Redskins are talking to Bill Musgrave about being the qb coach.  Jack Burns, a long time Gibbs coach, would be re-assigned.  Here is the article in the Washington PostI don't know if you want to go down this far in the coaching ranks, but I was surprised by this. 
I'm surprised by it, too. I don't know anything about Musgrave, but with the Jacksonville offense performing so poorly under him this year it seems odd he'd be hired to improved the Redskins' offense (or anyone's offense). Apparently he was hired "because they know him."
"We've got somebody that a lot of us know, who have been around him," Gibbs said of Musgrave today at Redskins Park. "I think he's our kind of guy. He's bright, sharp. He comes from a different tree as far as offense goes, which is good. He brings in a lot of new ideas. So we're looking for ideas there. His primary focus will be the quarterbacks.
I don't know much about Musgrave's history other than he was the OC at UVa for a couple of years and that went very well.A lot of coaches on Gibbs staff are people who have had success at certain positions, then not so stellar success at a higher level. They are now on Gibbs' staff at the lower level. These include:Williams - Asst Head Coach Defense (previous Head Coach)Blache - DL coach (previous DC and strong candidate for 49er HC job 2 years ago)and another defensive asst who escapes me

Don't think all the Jag firings were mentioned just MusgraveJacksonville Jaguars - Fired offensive coordinator BillMusgrave, linebackers coach Mike Haluchak and assistant headcoach Steve Shafer;

Cards also fired their WR coachArizona Cardinals - Fired offensive coordinator Alex Wood andreceivers coach Robert Ford.I would have thought he was doing well with those youngsters

Bears move #2Smith also announced Sunday he had fired offensive line coach Pete Hoener. That means Turner may bring former Illini offensive line coach Harry Hiestand with him.

Chris Mortensen is reporting that Romeo Crennel is the leading candidate for the Browns vacancy...

Cleveland Browns: Romeo Crennel, the Patriots defensive coordinator, is the leading man in the Browns' coaching search, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.Crennel's track record, his ties to Bill Belichick and his disciplinarian ability to deal with a growing number of Browns malcontents all play in his favor.But there are other known candidates for the Browns post. Browns interim coach Terry Robiskie is to be formally interviewed on Monday. Crennel also faces stiff competition from Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, who interviewed for six hours Tuesday, and Steelers line coach Russ Grimm, who interviewed Saturday.Other candidates include Dolphins defensive coordinator Jim Bates, Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and former Giants coach Jim Fassel.

From Len Pasqurelli's Morning After Column:

Parcells' longtime buddy, Bill Muir, one of the top offensive line coaches in the NFL, is expected to leave Tampa Bay to join the Dallas staff.

Being a Thomas Jones owner in my dynasty league, does this hiring of OC Turner help or hurt Jones' value? I also saw that the Bears fired their OL coach, so does that mean they are totally over-hauling the offense?

Any chance my Giants get a new DC? And STC? And while were at it, 3 OL, 2 WR, 3 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, and 2 DT?Just asking.
You're not unhappy with Tim Lewis after only one year are you?I thought Lewis did some good work in NY. Especially considering he had to start a JV unit by season's end due to injuries.After Johhny Lynn I guess anybody will look good but give Lewis some time, I think you'll be happy with him.

Georgia loses coordinator to Jaguars VanGorder, wanting NFL experience, will coach Jacksonville linebackers. By BART HUBBUCH, The Times-Union Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said last week that he wanted someone fiery and energetic to oversee the team's linebacker corps.-- ADVERTISEMENT -- Del Rio thinks he found what he was looking for Monday by luring successful University of Georgia defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder to replace Mike Haluchak as linebackers coach.VanGorder, 45, has never coached above the college level, but is considered a perfect fit by Del Rio after being voted the country's top assistant coach in 2003 for his work with the Bulldogs' highly rated defense."Brian VanGorder is a high-energy, detail-oriented coach with an impressive background,'' Del Rio said in a statement. "He'll bring great enthusiasm and intensity. He is a good fit for our staff and for our defense.''VanGorder said he made the jump because he feels NFL experience has become vital in recent years to getting a head coach job at a major college, which is his eventual goal.VanGorder also was lured with a three-year contract worth an average of $250,000, a raise over the $210,000 per year he was making as Georgia's highest-paid assistant and in line with owner Wayne Weaver's recent expressed willingness to pay more for coaches.

FYI, Saban is in charge of football operations. It's expected that Spielman will be offered a chance to remain with the team in a limited capacity (as a scout most likely) but he won't be the GM under the new Dolphins formulation.
That's a relief...... I still wish they took Crennel. Browns look like they are on the right track.....After the season down here in South Florida, I need more than Nick Saban to get me interested in Dolphin football again. I'm loosing confidence in this owner.Thank GOD I'm from Pittsburgh and I have a dish:stillers:

Users who are viewing this thread