What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL confirms Vince Young did not score a 6 (1 Viewer)

They still just dodged the issue as much as possible.

"The report that indicated that specific number is incorrect,'' said Steve Alic, who helps coordinate media relations at the Indianapolis-based NFL combine. "The NFL doesn't get those numbers until after the combine, and the numbers are confidential."
So Casserly was wrong when he said there was a score of 6 but it was not an accurate score?Hopefully the NFL is just screwing this up because it is working on the CBA

The NFL scores lowest. One, because Vince didn't really score a 6 after all, and two, because the NFL let this go on so long while Vince is being shredded in the media. Why wait two days to confirm the rumored 6 score was wrong? That is ridiculous.

The NFL scores lowest. One, because Vince didn't really score a 6 after all, and two, because the NFL let this go on so long while Vince is being shredded in the media. Why wait two days to confirm the rumored 6 score was wrong? That is ridiculous.
Again what if was lower or not much higher. I would think if he did well they would report that in order to put this too rest.

I'm not going to get into another Vince Young discussion with you Hawk, but clearly something is a little bit fishy here. If the test was scored wrong and they gave him a 6, then why didn't they just score the test correctly? Why allow him to take another test? I seriously doubt that they would do that for most prospects.

I would guess that the test wasn't really scored wrong, but that he was totally and completely unprepared, due to his agent, Major Dad, and the NFL felt bad and let him study some to understand how to take it before retaking it.

I do not think that the 6 score means he is an idiot. As others have stated, he may not have understood the time limit and only got to 10 or 15 questions or something.

But to act as though this is a totally above-the-board situation is a tad naive.

Now, I don't think that this will cause him to drop in the draft. That will be because he didn't work out at the combine. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to get into another Vince Young discussion with you Hawk, but clearly something is a little bit fishy here. If the test was scored wrong and they gave him a 6, then why didn't they just score the test correctly? Why allow him to take another test? I seriously doubt that they would do that for most prospects.

I would guess that the test wasn't really scored wrong, but that he was totally and completely unprepared, due to his agent, Major Dad, and the NFL felt bad and let him study some to understand how to take it before retaking it.

I do not think that the 6 score means he is an idiot. As others have stated, he may not have understood the time limit and only got to 10 or 15 questions or something.

But to act as though this is a totally above-the-board situation is a tad naive.

Now, I don't think that this will cause him to drop in the draft. That will be because he didn't work out at the combine. :P
If he didn't understand the time limit than he probably deserves a 6. I'm sure all that is explained prior to putting pencil too paper.

Working in the industry that I do, I've come to understand the power of carefully chosen words, particularly from corporate spokesmen and legal counsel.

The fact he merely dismisses the first score as "inaccurate" to me screams volumes that, in fact, Young likely did have an atrocious score...it could've been a 2, it could've been a 10, but it wasn't anything VY or his people felt comfortable OKing the dissemination of either way.

:shrug:

I agree with Jason, with the wording of that statement from the NFL, I'm guessing either the score still wasn't great (likely) or else the NFL somehow screwed up badly and wants to be very careful (less likely). Still, what if it was something like 14 as opposed to 6, that is a HUGE difference. I'm sure it will be released at some point. ConstruxBoy, everything I've read indicates that every prospect can choose to take it more than once. It was't a "retake" especially for Vince because of a screw up on the first test. The NFL official statement also did not say the scoring was messed up. It is possible the reporting was in error (i.e. what if it was supposed to be 16, but the typer forgot the 1). It's also possible someone made it up. Who knows at this point. I get the impression the actual first score will come out at some point, though I could be wrong.

"Now, I don't think that this will cause him to drop in the draft. That will be because he didn't work out at the combine."

Okay now, don't get me started! ;) :P

100% agreed. It would be ridiculous to even believe that they could take that long to confirm that he didn't score a 6.Why? Because he DID score a 6. Produce the test or 6 it is.

100% agreed. It would be ridiculous to even believe that they could take that long to confirm that he didn't score a 6.Why? Because he DID score a 6. Produce the test or 6 it is.
LOL. You're on this jag in multiple threads.Hint to lod: No one, especially Vince Young & the NFL, is going to give you a physical copy of the test, and furthermore no one gives a flying flip whether you believe it or not.Have a great day.

Here's the simplest way to look at this...put yourself in Vince Young and his agent's shoes...

These reports hit

At first, you figure they will die quickly

The reports start circulating, people speculate, it's now a full blown story

If Vince really didn't score a very low score, why not just come out and say in a formal press release that a) the rumored score of "6" was wrong, b) what Vince's score actually WAS and c) that all of this will be corroborated when NFL teams get the formal test results this week.

What could Vince's camp POSSIBLY have to gain by not addressing this head on UNLESS he actually got an abysmal score?

Here's the simplest way to look at this...put yourself in Vince Young and his agent's shoes...

These reports hit

If Vince really didn't score a very low score, why not just come out and say in a formal press release that a) the rumored score of "6" was wrong, b) what Vince's score actually WAS and c) that all of this will be corroborated when NFL teams get the formal test results this week.

What could Vince's camp POSSIBLY have to gain by not addressing this head on UNLESS he actually got an abysmal score?
They did come out right away and say all those things except the score they gave was for his second test which was 16 according to them. That can either mean they may not have known what the correct score was if there really was a grading issue or something like that, or it could mean the score was lower than 16 and they wanted to report the higher score, or it could mean something we have no idea about due to lack of information. I'd say its most likely the score was lower than 16 so they wanted to say as high a score as possible and leave the other one alone.

100% agreed. It would be ridiculous to even believe that they could take that long to confirm that he didn't score a 6.

Why? Because he DID score a 6. Produce the test or 6 it is.
LOL. You're on this jag in multiple threads.Hint to lod: No one, especially Vince Young & the NFL, is going to give you a physical copy of the test, and furthermore no one gives a flying flip whether you believe it or not.

Have a great day.
I know I won't see a physical copy of it because it shows a score of 6.

So they are willing to give us his score on the retake, but will only go so far as to say "it wasn't a 6" on the first one.

Still something fishy... sorry but I have to call :bs:

Okay, so here's what you do. When it's your turn to draft in your FF draft and Young is there, you don't pick him because you are convinced he's dumber than a fence post.

Leave him for someone like me picking behind you. I've seen what he CAN do on the football field with a lot less weapons than Leinart.

:Manythanks:

So they are willing to give us his score on the retake, but will only go so far as to say "it wasn't a 6" on the first one.

Still something fishy... sorry but I have to call :bs:
The vince young lovers will never understand that logic. They have the blinders on and will soon add the earplugs.

Okay, so here's what you do. When it's your turn to draft in your FF draft and Young is there, you don't pick him because you are convinced he's dumber than a fence post.

Leave him for someone like me picking behind you. I've seen what he CAN do on the football field with a lot less weapons than Leinart.

:Manythanks:
You mean like Michael Vick? :mellow:

These reports hit

Young is being handled by baffoons.

This isn't a slam on you, Hawk, but I posted Steve Alik quotes on this topic 3 nights ago on a different thread, and as late as last night there guys on here still saying there was no link or story in support of Vince other than the Casserly, or Reese comments.Wow.

QUOTEThe ONLY report you'll find is Casserley's, other than the Mack Brown quotes from today (and BTW, what the heck credibility does Mack Brown have on an NFL/Combine issue). There are no other links, there are no other quotes. I posted this 2 nights ago on THIS thread...nashvillecitypaper.comQUOTENFL: Reports of Young’s exam score inaccurate By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.comFebruary 27, 2006 INDIANAPOLIS — The buzz around the NFL Combine Saturday and Sunday was that Texas quarterback Vince Young had scored an extremely low 6 on his Wonderlic exam.And while several reporters said they heard the score was correct and that Young had not done any pre-test preparation for the exam before the Combine, NFL spokesman Steve Alic said the rumors are inaccurate.“I can tell you absolutely that the score that has been reported on the Internet is inaccurate,” Alic said . “I spoke to the person who graded the test, and he assured me that that number was not correct.”

“I spoke to the person who graded the test, and he assured me that that number was not correct.”

Tells you everything you need to know.. muddy the waters rather than clear it up. What did he score sir?

These reports hit

Young is being handled by baffoons.
Don't talk about the University of Texas like that!

“I spoke to the person who graded the test, and he assured me that that number was not correct.”

Tells you everything you need to know.. muddy the waters rather than clear it up.  What did he score sir?
Isn't the test confidential? While I know that everyone finds out since the info is disseminated to all teams, I don't think the NFL spokesman could actually say the score. All he is trying to do is say that the report of a 6 was incorrect. Since the test is confidential, the NFL itself is not going to disseminate the score. We will get that through the leaks when the teams get the info.

What does the NFL benefit from letting him retake the test?
This is the thing that I don't get. All the Young bashers say that the NFL is a marketing giant and he was a top 3 pick, yada, yada, yada, but it still doesn't make sense.If he did actually score a 6, which according to the NFL statement he didn't, then when the actual results are sent to the NFL teams, don't you think we will know that?

Any cover up would just tarnish the image of the NFL, which is far worse than everyone finding out VY is a dumb***. I also think that the NFL would risk quite a large lawsuit from the team that drafts him and pays him millions of dollars if they get proof of the NFL cover up and VY sucks (especially Al Davis :D ). I just don't see what the NFL gains from giving him a retest. Any team interested in him could just have him take the test for them in a matter of minutes, which VY would do if he knew he could score higher than his official combine one.

Edit: Oops, had to filter my own post.

I agree, it makes no sense for the NFL to cover this up.

BUT

None of the info so far makes sense, and it doesn't make sense why Vince is not out in front of this.

I really don't think the NFL cares enough about vince to help him this much, but i cannot believe if he only took the test once and it was a 16 that he is not in front of a camera right now saying that.

BUT

None of the info so far makes sense, and it doesn't make sense why Vince is not out in front of this.

I really don't think the NFL cares enough about vince to help him this much, but i cannot believe if he only took the test once and it was a 16 that he is not in front of a camera right now saying that.
The funny thing is that right now, all we are discussing is rumor. No one has seen the test and as far as we know the only real things we have heard from "NFL" sources is that he did not score a 6. Some folks on this board are taking the rumor and stating as fact, when they having nothing but the rumor to go on.For all we know it was back room banter between the guys who score/work the combine and a guy mentions to his buddy that VY scored a 16 and the guy misheard it as a 6 and he called another buddy and so on.

VY's agent seems to be doing about as bad a job as he could be so far, so who knows why they haven't said anything yet. He probably did get a bad score and so they really don't want to come out with the real thing. If VY had scored a 20+, he would most definitely already come out with it because it would all go away.

Legally the NFL probably cannot actually say anything since I would bet that there is some sort of NFLPA agreement about the test results being confidential. If the NFL stated the real score, VY might be able to sue them for the millions he lost. Now, all of the teams will get the score and at that point the leaks are too hard to track down, so they happen. I think all the NFL has done is what they can do, which is to try to squash a rumor. I don't think they would say he didn't get a 6 if they either didn't know the score or if it was really a 6.

BUT

The funny thing is that right now, all we are discussing is rumor. No one has seen the test and as far as we know the only real things we have heard from "NFL" sources is that he did not score a 6. Some folks on this board are taking the rumor and stating as fact, when they having nothing but the rumor to go on.For all we know it was back room banter between the guys who score/work the combine and a guy mentions to his buddy that VY scored a 16 and the guy misheard it as a 6 and he called another buddy and so on.

VY's agent seems to be doing about as bad a job as he could be so far, so who knows why they haven't said anything yet. He probably did get a bad score and so they really don't want to come out with the real thing. If VY had scored a 20+, he would most definitely already come out with it because it would all go away.

Legally the NFL probably cannot actually say anything since I would bet that there is some sort of NFLPA agreement about the test results being confidential. If the NFL stated the real score, VY might be able to sue them for the millions he lost. Now, all of the teams will get the score and at that point the leaks are too hard to track down, so they happen. I think all the NFL has done is what they can do, which is to try to squash a rumor. I don't think they would say he didn't get a 6 if they either didn't know the score or if it was really a 6.
Vince is the key. He should be out there saying, this is the scoop.I agree that his agent is NOT helping him out right now.

But, at least we are not watching VY do situps in his driveway or something :banned:

The NFL doesn't handle the combine, an independent scouting agency handles it. That little tidbit of information keeps slipping by the conspiracy theorists. The simple explanation here is that for some reason the original test was equivalent to a no-test. It could have been Vince's fault or it could be National Football Scouting's fault, but they (the combine officials--NOT THE NFL) determined that the original test didn't reflect on Young's true mental abilities and he was re-tested.

These conspiracy theories are neat, but they don't explain why an independent scouting entity would be part of any "cover up".

Working in the industry that I do, I've come to understand the power of carefully chosen words, particularly from corporate spokesmen and legal counsel.

The fact he merely dismisses the first score as "inaccurate" to me screams volumes that, in fact, Young likely did have an atrocious score...it could've been a 2, it could've been a 10, but it wasn't anything VY or his people felt comfortable OKing the dissemination of either way.

:shrug:
Or it was equivalent to a no-test.

The NFL doesn't handle the combine, an independent scouting agency handles it. That little tidbit of information keeps slipping by the conspiracy theorists. The simple explanation here is that for some reason the original test was equivalent to a no-test. It could have been Vince's fault or it could be National Football Scouting's fault, but they (the combine officials--NOT THE NFL) determined that the original test didn't reflect on Young's true mental abilities and he was re-tested.

These conspiracy theories are neat, but they don't explain why an independent scouting entity would be part of any "cover up".
To be fair, I think the independance of this scouting agency that serves one purpose, to run the NFL combine, is probably not as rock solid as you think. I imagine the NFL has some pretty serious pull over what goes on at the combine.Not saying that validates any conspiracy theory.

BUT

Finally somebody who gets it.

Another little tidbit that keeps slipping by is that they let any player take the test as many times as they like.

To be fair, I think the independance of this scouting agency that serves one purpose, to run the NFL combine, is probably not as rock solid as you think. I imagine the NFL has some pretty serious pull over what goes on at the combine.Not saying that validates any conspiracy theory.
National Football Scouting doesn't serve only one purpose and they aren't contracted by the NFL, they are contracted by 17 NFL teams.

Another little tidbit that keeps slipping by is that they let any player take the test as many times as they like.
You've mentioned it about 43 times, it is not slipping by.

National Football Scouting doesn't serve only one purpose and they aren't contracted by the NFL, they are contracted by 17 NFL teams.
Someone is gonna have to explain that. Why are 28 teams present if only 17 contract with them? Why is it billed as the NFL combine (i cannot use the NFL logo and name without their consent)? Who pays them, only the 17 teams? Are you saying there is NO contract between the NFL and the combine folks?

Someone is gonna have to explain that. Why are 28 teams present if only 17 contract with them? Why is it billed as the NFL combine (i cannot use the NFL logo and name without their consent)? Who pays them, only the 17 teams? Are you saying there is NO contract between the NFL and the combine folks?
I think he is saying that they have a contract with the NFL for the combine, but they also do scouting business with 17 teams. The scouting business is a separate part of the business. He is just trying to show that this really isn't just a company that is basically a one trick pony and their only revenue is from the NFL for the combine.Not sure how it happened, but I was typing in a quote, my bad.

...and someone better explain to me what happened to the other 4 NFL teams. :D

I am sure he was just disregarding Houston, SF, NO and the Jets. Perfectly logical thinking to me. ;)

This isn't a slam on you, Hawk, but I posted Steve Alik quotes on this topic 3 nights ago on a different thread, and as late as last night there guys on here still saying there was no link or story in support of Vince other than the Casserly, or Reese comments.
This is what Reese actually said, since some may not have seen it: Link
"I heard about the 6," Tennessee general manager Floyd Reese said Sunday morning. "I heard the test was improperly given, and I heard they're going to try and correct it.

"It could be improperly given because of time. It could be improperly given because when you correct it, there are like six or seven different tests. If you correct Test A with a correct sheet for Test C, it's not going to come out very well."............

.................."I've seen players test in single digits and play 10 years, and I've seen some guys test in the 30s that couldn't walk across the street," said Reese, who has been in the NFL since 1975.

Well, given the track record of the Lions, Cardinals, Saints, and Texans I assumed they didn't scout! :rolleyes:

I had some 1988 flashback or something!

funny

:wall:

Well, given the track record of the Lions, Cardinals, Saints, and Texans I assumed they didn't scout! :rolleyes:

I had some 1988 flashback or something!

funny

:wall:
Ahhh, I figured that the Vikings wouldn't attend until next week and was trying to figure out who the other 3 were.

These reports hit

If the test results aren't know until the end of the week (per the NFL spokeman), how the heck does VY know what he scored? Do you think he graded the test himself? (Then the 6 really is atrocious).First, I do not believe the six rumor. I am not saying I believe the 16 score either, but the NFL does not want prime time flops a la Leaf so there is no reason to brush a score under the rug unless. . .

VY has an ADA condition such as dyslexia which would of course make timed tests, especially those that try to trick like the Wonderlic (maybe not trick, but require more than a quick glance such as the which is lower .33 or 2. Rushing through might cause one to miss the decimal), very difficult. The NFL could be sued for a fortune is they release someone's medical condition without the players permission. (See how difficult injury reports have become in the past year). If the NFL was supposed to give VY, and anyone else with said condition, more time, then they screwed up and maybe this is the cover for that.

I just don't see how it benefits the NFL to cover up a low score unless it was a medical case.

So, I don't believe the 6 rumor and actually do buy the NFL statement. The only cover-up I could see that the NFL would go along with would be one that involved them breaking the law (releasing a medical condition or ignoring ADA guidelines when it comes to testing) and I just don't think that happened.

All the Young bashers say...
I prefer to think of myself as a misinformation basher.
:lmao: Not bad, I like that.

Since I haven't seen all your posts on this matter, I might not even be talking about you anyway. If you are a misinformation basher, then I hope you are bashing the folks that insist on a 6 score for VY.

As far as I can tell, there is a rumor from "unknown sources" that he scored a 6versus a handful of known sources, including the NFL, that say he didn't score a 6. If that isn't the case, then please tell me, because my biggest issue in this matter is the folks that blindly say that until they see otherwise they think it is true that VY scored a 6 and think that there is a cover up.

This is the thing that I don't get. All the Young bashers say that the NFL is a marketing giant and he was a top 3 pick, yada, yada, yada, but it still doesn't make sense.If he did actually score a 6, which according to the NFL statement he didn't, then when the actual results are sent to the NFL teams, don't you think we will know that?

Any cover up would just tarnish the image of the NFL, which is far worse than everyone finding out VY is a dumb***. I also think that the NFL would risk quite a large lawsuit from the team that drafts him and pays him millions of dollars if they get proof of the NFL cover up and VY sucks (especially Al Davis :D ). I just don't see what the NFL gains from giving him a retest. Any team interested in him could just have him take the test for them in a matter of minutes, which VY would do if he knew he could score higher than his official combine one.

Edit: Oops, had to filter my own post.
This is the same NFL that "covers up" first time failed drug tests. Players don't get suspended until their 2nd failed test. Teams keep hush-hush when they learn of a first failed test so how is not announcing the first failed drug test by the NFL any different that trying to cover up a score on a pre-draft intelligence test? The people at the top of the NFL food chain know the score and what is good for the league.

I am neither a Vince Young fan nor a basher, yet I find it amazing how some people are picking and choosing which unreliable sources have more crediblilty based on what they want to believe. I hope that the 16 score is a true indicator of his intelligence. If not I still wish the young man well.

I may need educated on my second point.

I have noticed that in each of these threads someone has made a reference/comparison with Mike Vick. Please explain. Young is a 6"5" righthander while Vick is a much shorter lefty who scored an acceptable 20 on the wonderlic.

Users who are viewing this thread