What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Draft Challenge (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
Wanted to share this with all of the FBG crew to use for your own NFL Draft fiesta if interested.

For the past 9 years we’ve had this NFL Draft Challenge with a group of guys and is always a great time, and definitely a new and interesting way to watch the NFL Draft.

Along with these guidelines below in a Word Format I also have an Excel spreadsheet made up with all of the top players listed at each position as a handout that works pretty slick for everyone to make each pick (just circle the player's name and hand it in). Feel free to PM me with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send the files to you to use.

--------------------------------

Date: Thursday, April 25th

Time: all need to be at (location) by 6pm (CST) (first pick of the draft starts at 6:30pm CST)

Entry fee: $20 per person goes into the pot

(or whatever amount you want that is divisible by 20....$40, $60, $80, etc..Numbers throughout this is with $20 entry fee in mind)

Objective: in real time, as the Draft happens, try to predict the first 20 picks of the NFL Draft

** Everyone is encouraged to bring as many mock drafts or cheatsheets as they want to help them in their decision process.

Payouts:

- Every pick, 1 thru 20, is worth 1 pt./$1...if you get a pick correct you win back $1 out of the pot. (or 2pts./$2 if entry fee is $40, etc...)

- After the 20th pick of the NFL draft is completed we see who got the highest number of total points. 1st place wins 70% of whatever is left remaining in the pot. 2nd place wins 30% of whatever is left remaining in the pot.

** if there is a tie for either 1st or 2nd place...the player picking will continue until that tie is broken.

Details:

- When we get to (location) we all give our vote for the # 1 pick (which will probably be obvious) and then after that # 1 pick is announced we all have 3 minutes (set on a timer) to submit our choice for the # 2 pick and so on…

- If a pick during the draft is traded, then the timer is reset to 3 minutes after that draft pick trade is announced on TV and we all resubmit a new player.

- If a pick is announced on the TV before our 3 minute time limit and somebody doesn't have their vote turned in yet, than we ALL automatically win that pick and win back $1 out of the pot. (note: if you have a DVR, the new way we approach this is we pause live TV....confiscate all mobile devices that could give real-time updtes, all take 3 minutes max. to submit the pick, then hit play. This way no issues with a pick being made on the TV before each submission is in)

** If everyone's picks are already in and a player is announced before the 3 minute time limit, everything still continues as normal.

** once a player's name is turned in, it cannot be changed...all initial submissions are final.

THE TWISTS:

1) A Negative Point (lose $1) will be given each time a player's name is submitted two times in a row...if you chose a player and it was incorrect than you are not allowed to submit that same player's name for your next pick. You can choose that same player again two picks or more after your initial submission, but not the immediate next pick. (Negative points will be issued at the completion of the pool)

2) Everyone will get 2 “Trade Cards” to use at any time throughout the first 20 picks of the Draft. When a “Trade Card” is submitted it means you believe a Draft Pick Trade will occur on the next pick AFTER the current Draft Pick on the clock. If correct, 1 Bonus Point ($1) is awarded. Example…If a Trade Card is submitted during the pool’s time limit for Pick # 8, that means you believe a trade will occur during Pick # 9…if a trade then happens during Pick # 9, you will be awarded 1 Bonus Point ($1).

-------------------------------------

So, basically that is all there is to it...pretty simple, but it makes watching the NFL Draft much more exciting and keeps things interesting for a few hours while the announcers babble between picks. It's been a popular event with a core of about 10 guys who enjoy watching the draft and has turned into an annual event...figured that with all of the Dynasty Leaguers out there this could be of interest to some in the Shark Pool.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tyrion

Footballguy
Wanted to share this with all of the FBG crew to use for your own NFL Draft fiesta if interested.

For the past 3 years we’ve had this NFL Draft pool with a group of guys and is always a great time, and definitely a new and interesting way to watch the NFL Draft.

Along with these guidelines I have an Excel spreadsheet made up as a handout that works pretty slick for everyone to make each pick. Feel free to PM me with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send to you.

Feedback or any new ideas to add are appreciated.

--------------------------------

Date: Saturday, April 23rd

Time: all need to be at (location) by 10:45 am (CST) at the latest to make this work properly (first pick of the draft starts at 11:00am CST)

Entry fee: $20 per person goes into the pot

(or whatever amount you want that is divisible by 20....$40, $60, $80, etc..Numbers throughout this is with $20 entry fee in mind)

Objective: try to predict the first 20 picks of the NFL Draft

** Everyone is encouraged to bring as many mock drafts or cheatsheets as they want to help them in their decision process.

Details:

- Every pick, 1 thru 20, is worth 1 pt./$1...if you get a pick correct you win back $1 out of the pot. (or 2pts./$2 if entry fee is $40, etc...)

- After the 20th pick of the NFL draft is completed we see who got the highest number of total points. 1st place wins 70% of whatever is left remaining in the pot. 2nd place wins 30% of whatever is left remaining in the pot.

** if there is a tie for either 1st or 2nd place...the player picking will continue until that tie is broken.

Pool Parameters:

- When we get to (location) we all give our vote for the # 1 pick (which will probably be obvious) and then after that # 1 pick is announced we all have 3 minutes (set on a timer) to submit our choice for the # 2 pick and so on…

- If a pick during the draft is traded, then the timer is reset to 3 minutes after that draft pick trade is announced on TV and we all resubmit a new player.

- If a pick is announced on the TV before our 3 minute time limit and somebody doesn't have their vote turned in yet, than we ALL automatically win that pick and win back $1 out of the pot.

** If everyone's picks are already in and a player is announced before the 3 minute time limit, everything still continues as normal.

** once a player's name is turned in, it cannot be changed...all initial submissions are final.

THE TWISTS:

1) A Negative Point will be given each time a player's name is submitted two times in a row...if you chose a player and it was incorrect than you are not allowed to submit that same player's name for your next pick. You can choose that same player again two picks or more after your initial submission, but not the immediate next pick. (Negative points will be issued at the completion of the pool)

2) Everyone will get 2 “Trade Cards” to use at any time throughout the first 20 picks of the Draft. When a “Trade Card” is submitted it means you believe a Draft Pick Trade will occur on the NEXT FOLLOWING Draft Pick. If correct, 1 Bonus Point ($1) is awarded. Example…If a Trade Card is submitted during the pool’s time limit for Pick # 8, that means you believe a trade will occur during Pick # 9…if a trade then happens during Pick # 9, you will be awarded 1 Bonus Point ($1).

-------------------------------------

So, basically that is all there is to it...pretty simple, but it makes watching the NFL Draft much more exciting and keeps things interesting for a few hours while the announcers babble between picks. It's been a popular event with a core of about 10 guys who enjoy watching the draft and has turned into an annual get together...figured that with all of the new Dynasty League guys out there these days this could be of interest to some in the Shark Pool.
Very nice idea. As a Fantasy Football junkie I am always looking for ways to make the offseason more bearable and this sounds like a cool idea. :thumbup:
 

offdee

Footballguy
How'd it go last year offdee? Who from here played?
This is setup to be just a local thing.....best if done in person.So, the only guy you may recognize from these boards who participated last year with us is "ILUVBEER"....he's in a Dynasty League that I'm in with guys living all over the U.S., but he just happens to live in the same state and attended for the first time last year. I know he had a good time and is looking forward to doing it again this year (He took 2nd place).

I'm sure if BEER happens across this thread he can give some personal feedback.

But, it went excellent as usual (this will be our 5th consecutive year doing it)....we usually have about 10 guys who participate.

 

Nemesis

Footballguy
I remember this thread from last year.

- After the 20th pick of the NFL draft is completed we see who got the highest number of total points. 1st place wins 70% of whatever is left remaining in the pot. 2nd place wins 30% of whatever is left remaining in the pot.
How many points does the usual winner of this thing have?
- If a pick during the draft is traded, then the timer is reset to 3 minutes after that draft pick trade is announced on TV and we all resubmit a new player.
Seems easier just to pick players and not worry about trades (esp since many times the commissioner steps up to the podium to simultaneously announce a trade AND WHO THAT NEW TEAM IS PICKING) In that case, it just seems like chaos erupts at the party like the floor of the NY Stock Exch.I'm just thinking of contacting Evilgrin and maybe trying to get together a bunch of my leaguemates and his and play a poker tournament during the draft.
 

offdee

Footballguy
I remember this thread from last year.

- After the 20th pick of the NFL draft is completed we see who got the highest number of total points.  1st place wins 70% of whatever is left remaining in the pot.  2nd place wins 30% of whatever is left remaining in the pot.
How many points does the usual winner of this thing have?
- If a pick during the draft is traded, then the timer is reset to 3 minutes after that draft pick trade is announced on TV and we all resubmit a new player.
Seems easier just to pick players and not worry about trades (esp since many times the commissioner steps up to the podium to simultaneously announce a trade AND WHO THAT NEW TEAM IS PICKING) In that case, it just seems like chaos erupts at the party like the floor of the NY Stock Exch.I'm just thinking of contacting Evilgrin and maybe trying to get together a bunch of my leaguemates and his and play a poker tournament during the draft.
Usual winner is somewhere around 9 to 11 points (out of 20 possible)Actually, when a trade occurs during the draft is when some of the most fun occurs during this challenge. If you read the rules closely you'll see....

- if a pick is announced on the TV before our 3 minute time limit and somebody doesn't have their vote turned in yet, than we ALL automatically win that pick and win back $1 out of the pot.

So, if there is a trade and the player picked is announced right away than everyone just wins that pick automatically.

But, when there is a trade and the clock is reset for that new team than all the guys involved in this challenge have to completely rethink their strategy and decide if they want to change their vote or not. Seeing guys scramble and shuffle thru all their mock drafts all stressed out and unsure can get very entertaining. (This is also where the "can't pick guys 2 picks in a row" and the "trade card" twists come into play and make things very interesting.)

By the way, the 20th pick usually lasts a good 3-4 hours so by the time that is up it's about 3pm (CST)....so we usually take a break and have a Hold Em tourney that night and make it a full day event.

For the past 5 years our NFL Draft day looks like this (CST)

11am - 3pm: NFL Draft Challenge

3pm - 6pm: Drink, eat, relax, watch more Draft

6pm- Midnight: Hold Em tourney (more drinking and eating with the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the NFL Draft on in the background)

It's a beautiful day to say the least.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

ILUVBEER99

Footballguy
I did this last year and will be doing it again this year. Great way to watch the draft.

There is a lot of strategy in it and if you pull a Minnesota Viking move and make a mistake it can cost you. I personally made a huge mistake last year by forgetting that you can't pick the same player 2 times in a row. It was well known Baltimore had a crush on Clayton, yet I choose him for the Jacksonville pick at 21 and when Jax didn't take him I couldn't take him again with the 22nd pick that Baltimore had. One slip up and you can go from champ to chump.

Without a doubt it was the most exciting NFL draft i've ever had. If you can get a few people together definitely try it out.

 

santo71

Footballguy
I did this last year and will be doing it again this year. Great way to watch the draft.

There is a lot of strategy in it and if you pull a Minnesota Viking move and make a mistake it can cost you. I personally made a huge mistake last year by forgetting that you can't pick the same player 2 times in a row. It was well known Baltimore had a crush on Clayton, yet I choose him for the Jacksonville pick at 21 and when Jax didn't take him I couldn't take him again with the 22nd pick that Baltimore had. One slip up and you can go from champ to chump.

Without a doubt it was the most exciting NFL draft i've ever had. If you can get a few people together definitely try it out.
Man, it took a long time to figure out that the elephant was a hand. That's pretty nifty.
 

ManODaHour

Footballguy
Thanks for the idea and posting the ready-to-play files.

We've been struggling on thinking of the different way to gamble on the draft. This seems pretty streamlined and fun.

Can't wait to try it out!

 

offdee

Footballguy
Early bump for another year...

Pasquino, I have an updated "players sheet" to replace last year's file you linked to in post #14. I can e-mail it to you.

 

Kegs & Eggs

Footballguy
Early bump for another year...Pasquino, I have an updated "players sheet" to replace last year's file you linked to in post #14. I can e-mail it to you.
Can we get that link posted on here for us to use this year. I run something like this, but will be adopting these rules this year and think it will be great. Thanks guys
 

offdee

Footballguy
Can we get that link posted on here for us to use this year. I run something like this, but will be adopting these rules this year and think it will be great. Thanks guys
Kegs, just e-mailed Pasquino the new Players Sheet.Also sent him a 3rd file which I incorporated last year....it's the "Point Sheet" and for the guy who runs the thing an all in one sheet to keep track of all info as it goes (picks, points, trades, etc.)Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!
 

shamrock84

Footballguy
Can we get that link posted on here for us to use this year. I run something like this, but will be adopting these rules this year and think it will be great. Thanks guys
Kegs, just e-mailed Pasquino the new Players Sheet.Also sent him a 3rd file which I incorporated last year....it's the "Point Sheet" and for the guy who runs the thing an all in one sheet to keep track of all info as it goes (picks, points, trades, etc.)Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!
Bumpity Bump Bump.Any chance we can get these files posted Pasquino? :lmao:
 

offdee

Footballguy
Will these be updated soon? Offdee could you just send them to me via pm?Thanks,RJ
Just heard from Pasquino that he's got a lot going on now so to send the sheets to Chase Stuart.Just sent Chase the files, so hopefully he updates soon.If anybody wants the sheets in the meantime, just give me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send over.
 

RJ13

Footballguy
Thanks for sending them to me via email. No problem opening or understanding them. Now I hope I can cash in!

Thanks!!!!

RJ

 

lebowski

Footballguy
Has anyone ever done this? I'm wondering how long it takes for the first 20 picks. I know in theory it should take 1hr, but that seems fast for me.

 

offdee

Footballguy
Has anyone ever done this? I'm wondering how long it takes for the first 20 picks. I know in theory it should take 1hr, but that seems fast for me.
Not sure where you're coming up with "1 hour"each pick has a 15 minute time limit.....if all 20 picks lasted full 15 minutes that would be 5 hours.Usually it takes around 4 hours total.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

offdee

Footballguy
bump for another year.

Fyi, I have a new player sheet for this year than the one that Chase posts above. Feel free to PM me your e-mail address and I can send the files over.

 

duece2626

Footballguy
Has anyone ever done this? I'm wondering how long it takes for the first 20 picks. I know in theory it should take 1hr, but that seems fast for me.
Not sure where you're coming up with "1 hour"each pick has a 15 minute time limit.....if all 20 picks lasted full 15 minutes that would be 5 hours.Usually it takes around 4 hours total.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1st round 10 mins per pick? :confused:
 

offdee

Footballguy
Has anyone ever done this? I'm wondering how long it takes for the first 20 picks. I know in theory it should take 1hr, but that seems fast for me.
Not sure where you're coming up with "1 hour"each pick has a 15 minute time limit.....if all 20 picks lasted full 15 minutes that would be 5 hours.Usually it takes around 4 hours total.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1st round 10 mins per pick? :eek:
You are correct as that has changed this year. If you'll notice the dates of those old posts they were made in '07 before last year's draft when the time limits were still 15 minutes.If the first 20 picks all lasted the full 10 minutes would be a total of 3 hrs 20 min. My best guess would be actually taking about 2 hrs. 45 minutes this year.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

offdee

Footballguy
shamrock84 said:
:shrug: My buddies and I have great fun with this every year! Do you have an updated player sheet for this year?
shamrock84 and all others that are interested.....the updated player sheet is completed so PM me with your email address and I'll send it over.
 

offdee

Footballguy
Bump for another year. The info in post #1 has been edited to be current info for this year. (note, original thread was started in 2005)

 
Last edited by a moderator:

offdee

Footballguy
I have the player's pick sheet (Word doc) completed. Anybody interested in getting this 2010 version throw me a PM and your email address and I'll send on.

 
I'm going to run this by my friends and see if anyone wants to give this a shot. This years change in schedule may be better for something like this as it's an excuse to get the boys together for a night of drinking during the week. :banned: :stalker: You really probably only need 3+ to make it fun.

 

offdee

Footballguy
I'm going to run this by my friends and see if anyone wants to give this a shot. This years change in schedule may be better for something like this as it's an excuse to get the boys together for a night of drinking during the week. :banned: :stalker: You really probably only need 3+ to make it fun.
Yep, 5-7 guys is optimal amount, but could definitely do it witih 3 or 10+.
 

gandalas

Footballguy
What happens to money that isn't won?
- After the 20th pick of the NFL draft is completed we see who got the highest number of total points. 1st place wins 70% of whatever is left remaining in the pot. 2nd place wins 30% of whatever is left remaining in the pot.** if there is a tie for either 1st or 2nd place...the player picking will continue until that tie is broken.All money is given out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top