What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Draft - which team makes first bad pick? (1 Viewer)

For the first round of the NFL Draft, which team makes the first really boneheaded selection?

• Houston

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Orleans

• Tennessee

• NY Jets

• Green Bay

• San Francisco

• Oakland

• Buffalo

• Detroit

• Arizona

• St Louis

• Cleveland

• Baltimore

• Philadelphia

• Denver

• Miami

• Total voters

Spike

Footballguy
Every year it seems like there is a pick in the first half of the draft that is just plain a head-scratcher. (More than one, in most years.)

Which is your pick of the screwy move?

I'm going with Oakland. I just think they're too many people making the decisions.

yes, Jets are traditional - and they are likely to repeat, but HOUSTON has the first chance and will likely make the first mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
With the talent in the top of this draft I say it's almost impossible for a team to make a bad pick in the top 10 anyway.

With the talent in the top of this draft I say it's almost impossible for a team to make a bad pick in the top 10 anyway.
AD - what if they pick and take a nice player, but could have improved their team more by trading down? IMO that is then a bad pick

AD - what if they pick and take a nice player, but could have improved their team more by trading down? IMO that is then a bad pick
Trading down implies that you have someone that wants to trade up.By your definition, it's impossible for the Texans to make a good pick since trading down is a better option than taking anyone available in the draft. But if nobody wants to, they're stuck.

On the other hand, here's a scenario that fits your definition:

I was just reading today where Jerry Jones offered Arizona two firsts and a second to trade up to get Andre Wadsworth. The fact that the Cardinals didn't take this deal (forgetting that we now know Wadsworth is a bust) made that a terrible pick. So I see your point.

Titans ... They are going to go Leinart because of the Norm Chow, etc. connection and while Leinart may be the best option of the QBs to start immediately in two or three years when Tenn is actually looking to be competitive, both VY and Cutler will be much better.

As a Raiders fan I like this as it then could leave VY for Oakland. If the Titans do the unlikely and go VY, then the Raiders will go wrong some how.

FLA\/\/ED!!

No Minnesota? Or does not making a pick in the alloted time not constitute making a bonehead pick?

On a more serious note I voted St. Louis. If they draft a QB in the first, and more importantly trade up to do so, I'm gonna be sick. The Rams have no problem getting the ball down field in the air. They have a problem keeping other teams from doing the same thing...

On a more serious note I voted St. Louis. If they draft a QB in the first, and more importantly trade up to do so, I'm gonna be sick. The Rams have no problem getting the ball down field in the air. They have a problem keeping other teams from doing the same thing...
They're not taking a QB. They're trying to get the Vikings to trade up for Cutler.

They're not taking a QB. They're trying to get the Vikings to trade up for Cutler.
I would be giddy with that. But won't the Cardinals draft him ahead of the Rams anyway? Wouldn't the Vikes need to trade up with the Bills, Lions or even San Fran to pull that off?

On a more serious note I voted St. Louis.  If they draft a QB in the first, and more importantly trade up to do so, I'm gonna be sick.  The Rams have no problem getting the ball down field in the air.  They have a problem keeping other teams from doing the same thing...
I would be giddy with that. But won't the Cardinals draft him ahead of the Rams anyway? Wouldn't the Vikes need to trade up with the Bills, Lions or even San Fran to pull that off?
Yes. The Rams are just baiting the hook just in case.

I'd have to go with Detroit as it is hard to go against that level of boneheadedness, even if there are plenty of teams ahead of them with opportunity to beat them to the punch. Chances are if someone beats them to the punch on a boneheaded move, Detroit will respond by outdoing it to a degree that makes the other team's pick look o.k. Teams like the Jets and Saints have been sucking but I don't think it is because of their first round picks. People like Vilma were great picks. Whom has Detroit gotten in the first round that has been completely worth the pick? Roy Williams has been great at times but has battled injury while people like Harrington, Rogers, and Mike Williams have just made them look silly.

While people will hoot and holler about some bad pick tomorrow, I don't think we'll know for sure for a couple years if it was truly a bad pick.

:shrug:

I was ripped to pieces on another forum way back when the Eagles drafted McNabb. I thought it was a great choice. Eagles fans were fuming.

I voted for the Jets. :D

I voted Oakland, thinking I'd be the only one. Al Davis makes bizzare picks half the time.
If the Raiders pick Young, then they get the :wall: award.As a Chargers fan I'm hoping they don't do the smart thing and take Justice. The last thing I want the Chargers to have to face is a Raider OL of Gallery, Justice and Grove with Walter at QB and Moss at WR. Ouch.

i voted Green Bay, because they may be under some pressure to get an immediate impact guy this year.

i really think that was part of Butch Davis's boneheaded trade up to grab Winslow, is that he cracked under the pressure of needing a guy that could help save his job right now.

not really the same situation, but it's possible they bone the pick by forcing it.

Anyone voting any team lower than 1.09 isn't paying attention.

I think San Fran will be the first to deserve a lot of heat for their pick.

I picked Green Bay - I think they trade down to get more picks and I don't trust them to chose talented players in those later picks. So instead of getting a sure fire talent say like AJ Hawk - who knows what we'll end up with.

Just my 2 cents

i voted Green Bay, because they may be under some pressure to get an immediate impact guy this year.
How could they blow it at #5? Who could they possibly take to blow it?
About 300 players. ;) Anyone not named Bush, Mario, Brick, or Hawk. Although if Leinart fell to them, does that indicate they blew this pick, or last year's?

About 300 players. ;) Anyone not named Bush, Mario, Brick, or Hawk. Although if Leinart fell to them, does that indicate they blew this pick, or last year's?
Or Davis. Whom I'm suspecting may be the pick.

i dunno. maybe not blow it, but trade up a spot like Butch did, or grab somebody that fills a need that was projected lower?it was between them and San Fran. i just think GB may be in a "win now" mode of thinking, which isn't always the best frame of mind to be in on draft day.

I picked Green Bay - I think they trade down to get more picks and I don't trust them to chose talented players in those later picks. So instead of getting a sure fire talent say like AJ Hawk - who knows what we'll end up with.

Just my 2 cents
With their defensive needs and Hawk's talent, he's a no-brainer. Not to mention he's Packers kind of player and will be a huge hit with the fans.

:confused: Isn't San Fran lower than 1.09? Are you paying attention? :confused:

:popcorn:

it was between them and San Fran. i just think GB may be in a "win now" mode of thinking, which isn't always the best frame of mind to be in on draft day.
If the Packers are thinking "win now" I think they've left the gouda outside a bit too long.

I don't think some of you get what Spike is asking. It's not a bonehead pick if a team takes VY instead of Lienert. I think he's talking about the Raiders taking a kicker in the 1st round. Or the Browns trading up one spot to take a TE that they didn't need to trade up for.

I don't think some of you get what Andy is asking. It's not a bonehead pick if a team takes VY instead of Lienert. I think he's talking about the Raiders taking a kicker in the 1st round. Or the Browns trading up one spot to take a TE that they didn't need to trade up for.
:yes: "Who's the first person to make a "Sebastian Janikowski" pick?" is how I read the question.

Titans ... They are going to go Leinart because of the Norm Chow, etc. connection and while Leinart may be the best option of the QBs to start immediately in two or three years when Tenn is actually looking to be competitive, both VY and Cutler will be much better.

As a Raiders fan I like this as it then could leave VY for Oakland. If the Titans do the unlikely and go VY, then the Raiders will go wrong some how.
Funny - I was about to post the same thing only them taking VY while getting rid of McNair....

it was between them and San Fran.  i just think GB may be in a "win now" mode of thinking, which isn't always the best frame of mind to be in on draft day.
If the Packers are thinking "win now" I think they've left the gouda outside a bit too long.
well, with Favre coming back i would think that's what they're thinking.if Hawk is the no-brainer pick, what happens if he's off the board?

i'm not saying GB is going to mess up their pick, just that it's a possibility.

What gave you the impression that I was talking to you?Lower = later pick.

I went old school as the Cardinals have the all-time lead in WTF picks :)

Of course my dream scenario would be to have the draft go Bush-Mario-Young and then have...

(Jets fans alternatiely chanting "We Want Leinart" and "We Want Brick")

"With the 4th pick, the Jets Select..........

TE - Vernon Davis, Maryland.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:)

-QG

Green Bay pick is simple. They need either a Linebacker or a Offensive Lineman. They can't go wrong being at 5!

The poll pretty much speaks for itself. The three annual draft screw ups are 1,2,3. I had to take Detroit but the pick was hard. Will they take a WR for 4th straight year? lol

Minny gets a flyer for the draft bust one year but I think they learned from it. I love it when push comes to shove and those last 15 seconds are clicking off the clock and decisions have to be made. That is me in a nut shell my entire life.

:bag: Ok.So why San Fran? Curious. I like Nolan and McLoughan has done fine HR work in GB and Seattle. I think they hit on all cylinders tomorrow.

:bag: Ok.So why San Fran? Curious. I like Nolan and McLoughan has done fine HR work in GB and Seattle. I think they hit on all cylinders tomorrow.
They'll probably be fine, if things break their way, and Green Bay takes Hawk or Davis, that should give them Brick. Any other player there (if Brick's available) will be a mistake.

I went old school as the Cardinals have the all-time lead in WTF picks :)

Of course my dream scenario would be to have the draft go Bush-Mario-Young and then have...

(Jets fans alternatiely chanting "We Want Leinart" and "We Want Brick")

"With the 4th pick, the Jets Select..........

TE - Vernon Davis, Maryland.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:)

-QG
this could happen, didn't they trade a high pick for Jolley last year?

i really think that was part of Butch Davis's boneheaded trade up to grab Winslow, is that he cracked under the pressure of needing a guy that could help save his job right now.

not really the same situation, but it's possible they bone the pick by forcing it.
Force the pick on whom?

I voted for San Fran. Somehow I doubt they will grab a guy that addresses one of their major (and numerous) needs.

However, if Floyd Reese ends up making the decision in Tennessee, that has to be the choice. That guy hasn't made s ingle correct decision in three or four years. Come on... PacMan Jones?!?

Users who are viewing this thread