What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Films presents "Jeff Saturday's Indianapolis Colts" Week 15-Blows a 33 point lead vs the Vikings (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Let's see what Rich Eisen thinks

I don't want to just poke fun at Jeff Saturday although it is one of the strangest things or hirings of an interim NFL Head Coach we have ever seen.

I can understand some folks frustration with analytics. Saturday isn't likely to be running the ship that way. Colts will not lose ALL of the rest of their games but they will lose the majority of them. 3-13-1 if they lost out? That would likely get them a Top 5 pick and I saw there are 3 names at QB being kicked around there, Hooker who many said was 3rd Rd type, he's going end of 1st in projections.

The Colts had 20+ years of strong QB play with Manning and Luck, think we all remember how Luck fell into their lap? At some point they just sold out to tanking behind the scenes. Miami was the other team that was in the running until they decided to try and win a couple games that season. Think David Robinson in the NBA with the Spurs, they lose him for a year and they were so bad they end up drafting Tim Duncan and the rest is history. The Colts IMHO know what they are doing and they want to fast track their way to finding a franchise QB they can build around and continue to have a thriving fan base, it's smart business.

MoP thinks much like Urban Meyer, this is a total circus and needs its own thread.
I said Urban Meyer was the worst hire of the last 10 years when the Jags paid him.
I'm not sure where I would rank this but it's close.
I will say Dan Campbell won his first 2 games as an interim head coach with the Miami Dolphins and they were blowouts.
Campbell was an assistant with Miami for many years prior to that promotion

Last edited:
It is such a bad hire and this team is such a mess that I picked up the raiders defense which is awful who plays against Indy this week. I may be wrong but Iam expecting bad of epic proportion this week.
You're saying we won't get anything remotely like this?

"A cool clear sparkling day at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium
The scene for a pro football game with.a Super Bowl Flavor"

Putting a guy that has zero professional coaching experience is a recipe for disaster but I can't think of a softer landing for the Colts than this week to face the equally dysfunctional Raiders. I originally thought the Raiders roll (and they still might) but I have this weird feeling the Colts keep it close.

Not sure how this will turn out, but what I do know is that when he played his teammates loved him. Except one time when the Colts were inside the 10 and Saturday said they should run the ball and that upset Manning and they got into an argument. They were having issues passing the ball, which is why Saturday made the comment they should run the ball. Manning took offense to it. They ran the ball in for a score on consecutive running plays.

Also, loved the "This is our time" speech (taken from Miracle) before the 2006 AFC Championship game against the Patriots.

I think the Colts will pay hard for Saturday.

What do we think the ratio of Run vs *** is going to be with an ex-Center who once was criticized by Peyton Manning for suggesting they run the football in the RedZone and they did while managing to punch it in with 2 plays the final 8 yards. What do you think he wants to do on offense? Do you think Indy is going to be zipping the ball all over the place?

"It is one of the most disrespectful things I’ve ever seen in my entire life to the commitment, the lifestyle and the experience that it takes to be an NFL coach — any coach — much less the head coach of the Indianapolis Football Colts," Thomas said on "Good Morning Football" Friday.

"You have got to be kidding me that this is something that Jim Irsay and Jeff Saturday, who’s not blameless for accepting the job, could have talked and decided that this was the best thing for the Indianapolis Colts at this juncture of the season."

Interesting that he takes a shot at Jeff Saturday directly

"It is one of the most disrespectful things I’ve ever seen in my entire life to the commitment, the lifestyle and the experience that it takes to be an NFL coach — any coach — much less the head coach of the Indianapolis Football Colts," Thomas said on "Good Morning Football" Friday.

"You have got to be kidding me that this is something that Jim Irsay and Jeff Saturday, who’s not blameless for accepting the job, could have talked and decided that this was the best thing for the Indianapolis Colts at this juncture of the season."

“In his entire life” How old is Joe Thomas, 35 years old? GTFO of here.

Molehill—————-> Mountain.

My expectation is for the Colts to display a lot of energy....at first. As that begins to dwindle it will be begin pulling back all the layers of hiring the least qualified coach in the modern era. Which despite Irsay's protests of not tanking is probably what he wants. Just get some energy back in the building and try not to embarrass yourself is probably Irsay's goal, not wins or losses. Well, maybe losses. Jim knows better then anyone how the fortunes of a franchise can change when you draw 1.1.

The hyperbolic, emotional reactions are dumb. IMO, the very best HCs are motivational leaders who manage the team while the assistants do the hardcore coaching.
If this is how it works, it makes the firing of the HC and retention of the other coaches even more senseless.

To me this is like Homer and Barney at the Duff Brewery tour where Homer (the sober one) gets pulled over and charged and then they ask Barney (the annihilated one) if he thinks he can drive home okay...

My expectation is for the Colts to display a lot of energy....at first. As that begins to dwindle it will be begin pulling back all the layers of hiring the least qualified coach in the modern era. Which despite Irsay's protests of not tanking is probably what he wants. Just get some energy back in the building and try not to embarrass yourself is probably Irsay's goal, not wins or losses. Well, maybe losses. Jim knows better then anyone how the fortunes of a franchise can change when you draw 1.1.
14th on Tankathon and climbing

The piling on here is ridiculous. I'll go on record now and say Saturday surprises many here. They destroy the Raiders today and put the whole Josh McDaniels experiment mercifully to bed. If Jeff can earn the respect of his players and the coaches on that team, which I think he already is, he could be long for this job. And if he actually puts Ryan back in the game? It proves to me he's willing to stand up to Irsay as well which is something I think Reich's unwillingness to do sealed his fate.

Comparing this hire to Urban Meyer is stupid silly talk and disrespectful to Jeff Saturday as a man. Also, the talking heads saying Jeff should have turned down the job are fools. If you're offered a promotion in life, do you turn it down because you're not ready? No way in hell. You certainly don't turn it down because you're white, WTF. You take the job, you do the job, you grow and learn along the way.

It's really gonna depend on how seriously the colts players and assistant coaches take him. There's no reason to expect them to like it though, and signs that they don't. QB coach declined to step up to call the plays...instead the asst QB coach will. The players loved Reich (from all accounts). Even if he has the chops and the makeup to succeed, his lack of experience WILL lead to missteps and errors. For his sake hopefully they are relatively minor and he can learn quickly.

I think it would be silly to expect a lot, but maybe he shows enough to be taken seriously in the off season. My moneys on no, but stranger things have happened

ETA: They were talking about this on SIRIUS this AM on my way home....turns out that multiple people in the organization, including the GM, expressed reservations and doubts on the hire. This is all on Irsay....bold move or just dumb? I'd lean towards the latter

Most will take him seriously. These are professionals and TBH a decision like this will quickly weed out unprofessionalism you don't want in your organization anyway. Those that don't play for him from the jump or worse publicly express descent, should be and will be gone with the quickness.

It doesn't matter what you think about the decision, you go out and give 100% because it's your job, it's what you do and hopefully you have a bit of pride in the product you put on the field. This goes for coaches on the staff and all the players.

The professionals will get behind him whether they agree with the situation or not, if he puts them in a position to succeed of course. If they continue to lose and the players don't get a chance to put up stats, then they will turn on him quite quickly.

I think he will do quite well because of his popularity, success and knowledge of the game even if he has never been an NFL head coach. That position is more like a CEO anyway, and I would argue many coaches try to do too much anyway. People forget about the talent on this team. People forget about the preseason expectations here. The difference between winning and losing in this league is razor thin, and that gap seemingly shrinks even further every year.

It will make the Jags decision to hire Urban Meyer look brilliant by comparison.
Yeah but that is in hindsight. Meyer was at least a successful coach at the college level. Saban didnt fare well with the Dolphins either but it wasnt as weird a move as hiring a tv analyst with no coaching experience.

The piling on here is ridiculous. I'll go on record now and say Saturday surprises many here. They destroy the Raiders today and put the whole Josh McDaniels experiment mercifully to bed. If Jeff can earn the respect of his players and the coaches on that team, which I think he already is, he could be long for this job. And if he actually puts Ryan back in the game? It proves to me he's willing to stand up to Irsay as well which is something I think Reich's unwillingness to do sealed his fate.

Comparing this hire to Urban Meyer is stupid silly talk and disrespectful to Jeff Saturday as a man. Also, the talking heads saying Jeff should have turned down the job are fools. If you're offered a promotion in life, do you turn it down because you're not ready? No way in hell. You certainly don't turn it down because you're white, WTF. You take the job, you do the job, you grow and learn along the way.
I have no doubt the players will respect the fact he was a long time colt great and give him respect. I also have no doubt that he has marching orders to put Ryan back in the game. Stupid talk? Disrespectful to Saturday as a man? piling on? You related to Saturday or something? I dont consider discussing whether a head coach with zero coaching experience at any level is the best choice to coach an NFL team. He may well surprise me (and many many others) but on its face its just not a smart move. I have no doubt that Saturday is a better man than Meyer and I know (second hand by the way) that the whole Jacksonville Meyer situation was totally disfunctional. You say not standing up to Irsay is what got Reich fired.. I have read just the opposite. Irsay wanted Ryan back at qb and reich stuck with elinger. I dont at all (and nobody else that I have seen say it was a bad hire has either) faulty Saturday for taking the job. Nobody is saying that except you.... the hire makes zero sense unless the colts are in tank mode. About as close as I will come to agreeing with you is weirder things have happened.

Yeah...uncalled for. Ive got no coaching experience either but if I was offered an NFL job I sure would take a shot at it.

It will make the Jags decision to hire Urban Meyer look brilliant by comparison.
Yeah but that is in hindsight. Meyer was at least a successful coach at the college level. Saban didnt fare well with the Dolphins either but it wasnt as weird a move as hiring a tv analyst with no coaching experience.
I expect the results to be worse than Meyer in JAX. Urban got 2 wins and got to coach 13 games. I would take the under on both of those for Saturday.

It's really gonna depend on how seriously the colts players and assistant coaches take him. There's no reason to expect them to like it though, and signs that they don't. QB coach declined to step up to call the plays...instead the asst QB coach will. The players loved Reich (from all accounts). Even if he has the chops and the makeup to succeed, his lack of experience WILL lead to missteps and errors. For his sake hopefully they are relatively minor and he can learn quickly.

I think it would be silly to expect a lot, but maybe he shows enough to be taken seriously in the off season. My moneys on no, but stranger things have happened

ETA: They were talking about this on SIRIUS this AM on my way home....turns out that multiple people in the organization, including the GM, expressed reservations and doubts on the hire. This is all on Irsay....bold move or just dumb? I'd lean towards the latter

I have no doubt the players will respect the fact he was a long time colt great and give him respect. I also have no doubt that he has marching orders to put Ryan back in the game. Stupid talk? Disrespectful to Saturday as a man? piling on? You related to Saturday or something? I dont consider discussing whether a head coach with zero coaching experience at any level is the best choice to coach an NFL team. He may well surprise me (and many many others) but on its face its just not a smart move. I have no doubt that Saturday is a better man than Meyer and I know (second hand by the way) that the whole Jacksonville Meyer situation was totally disfunctional. You say not standing up to Irsay is what got Reich fired.. I have read just the opposite. Irsay wanted Ryan back at qb and reich stuck with elinger. I dont at all (and nobody else that I have seen say it was a bad hire has either) faulty Saturday for taking the job. Nobody is saying that except you.... the hire makes zero sense unless the colts are in tank mode. About as close as I will come to agreeing with you is weirder things have happened.
You seem too red faced mad to even have read my post. The disrespect to Saturday as a man was made in reference to the Urban Meyer hiring comparisons. Meyer was by all accounts a horrible human being that failed in his tenure due to that fact. Saturday is not that.

Also, this is a mid season hire. You're not pulling a top coach off another team to insert mid season. So why not give Saturday (a guy that has and continues to do so much for the organization) a chance to get some experience, and maybe even prove himself?

And if you think these discussions are more race baiting than anything else, I'm not sure what else I need to say. That whole conversation is stupid.

Old enough to remember when Miami was called out for tanking. Colts seemingly going back to the Suck for Luck formula.

FWIW I liked his presser and think he could eventually do a good job. I didn’t like his play caller decision which reenforces my suck for luck thoughts but WTH do I know.

You seem too red faced mad to even have read my post. The disrespect to Saturday as a man was made in reference to the Urban Meyer hiring comparisons. Meyer was by all accounts a horrible human being that failed in his tenure due to that fact. Saturday is not that.

Also, this is a mid season hire. You're not pulling a top coach off another team to insert mid season. So why not give Saturday (a guy that has and continues to do so much for the organization) a chance to get some experience, and maybe even prove himself?

And if you think these discussions are more race baiting than anything else, I'm not sure what else I need to say. That whole conversation is stupid.
I read your post did you read mine? Where pray tell did you get racism out of ANYTHING I said? Holy smokes man. Im not at all mad ....just disagree with your stance on Saturday. Of course youre not getting a big time coach mid season.....which is why most teams elevate their best coordinator instead of an ex player who is a tv analyst. If anybody is disrespecting Saturday as a man that is just rediculous ( and something I did not do) Nor did I compare Meyer to Saturday as a human being. I know second hand what kind of person Meyer is because Darrell Bevell, OC under Meyer at Jacksonville, is my wife's best friends son. We are discussing Saturday as a coach not how close he or Meyer is to sainthood. RACISM? REALLY?

I read your post did you read mine? Where pray tell did you get racism out of ANYTHING I said? Holy smokes man. Im not at all mad ....just disagree with your stance on Saturday. Of course youre not getting a big time coach mid season.....which is why most teams elevate their best coordinator instead of an ex player who is a tv analyst. If anybody is disrespecting Saturday as a man that is just rediculous ( and something I did not do) Nor did I compare Meyer to Saturday as a human being. I know second hand what kind of person Meyer is because Darrell Bevell, OC under Meyer at Jacksonville, is my wife's best friends son. We are discussing Saturday as a coach not how close he or Meyer is to sainthood. RACISM? REALLY?
The racism comment was more based on what I keep hearing through the media about the Rooney rule and how egregious it was hiring a white man with no head coaching experience, not you. So apologies if I implied that.

My original post was more to say the piling on Saturday through the media was quite ridiculous and over the top and that I thought he'd well outperform what most people are saying.

The racism comment was more based on what I keep hearing through the media about the Rooney rule and how egregious it was hiring a white man with no head coaching experience, not you. So apologies if I implied that.

My original post was more to say the piling on Saturday through the media was quite ridiculous and over the top and that I thought he'd well outperform what most people are saying.
fair enough...... The good part is we all will see reguardless of our opinions. I honestly have nothing against Saturday and hope he succeeds. Unless I have some dog in the fight I am always for the underdog. It would make for a good sports movie if he ends up succeeding.

Hey Bud, aim that at me

I had a great thread on Meyer titled "worst hire in 10 years" and maybe you read that thread. Mgmt decided to merge it very late in 2021 for whatever reason
This is equally laughable on the surface and I stay by my words about Meyer and Saturday
maybe the Colts will win today
Miami won 2 games under Dan Campbell in 2015 but he was an Asst Coach for 6 years with Miami prior to the promotion

I have disdain for McDaniels so if he happens to lose today i will not shed a tear. No matter the outcome, it was a pretty ridiculous hiring by all critics I have read that are not associated with the Colts. Pat McAfee don't count, sorry

Go Colts! ;)

Hey Bud, aim that at me

I had a great thread on Meyer titled "worst hire in 10 years" and maybe you read that thread. Mgmt decided to merge it very late in 2021 for whatever reason
This is equally laughable on the surface and I stay by my words about Meyer and Saturday
Miami won 2 games under Dan Campbell in 2015 but he was an Asst Coach for 6 years with Miami prior to the promotion

I have disdain for McDaniels so if he happens to lose today i will not shed a tear. No matter the outcome, it was a pretty ridiculous hiring by all critics I have read that are not associated with the Colts. Pat McAfee don't count, sorry

Go Colts! ;)
Didn't read your post. Ridiculous comparison nonetheless. I don't care what the "critics" say about the hire. "Experts" have terrible hit rates on their prognostications.

Fact is, Saturday knows football and he's a very well respected man. Whether or not that turns out to mean he'll be a good head coach remains to be seen, but you can do a lot worse with a mid season hire than him.

Further, people act like he was plucked off the street when he wasn't. He's been around that building for a couple decades. People need to chill and stop listening to the nonsense on TV.

Hey Bud, aim that at me

Go Colts! ;)
Didn't read your post. Ridiculous comparison nonetheless. I don't care what the "critics" say about the hire. "Experts" have terrible hit rates on their prognostications.

Fact is, Saturday knows football and he's a very well respected man. Whether or not that turns out to mean he'll be a good head coach remains to be seen, but you can do a lot worse with a mid season hire than him.
Yeah but the fact is ALL National TV personalities and Radio Heads this week were laughing and making a lot of comments
It's obtuse to ignore them and you are welcome to your POV but it's not real to pretend that people should be expecting the Colts to win, the national media was fierce this week
You can disagree but we didn't read those posts leading up to the game
Cheers!
Sincerely

Well if you want to swim downstream your whole life and be part of the crowd, that's fine. I like to look at facts and make my own determinations. No one should be expecting the Colts to turn it around and win a bunch of games, that was never my point, ,but the hate being lobbed Saturday's way is ridiculous. Would it have been better to hire a black coach off the staff they knew would be fired at the end of the year to appease the woke? Cheers!

Well if you want to swim downstream your whole life and be part of the crowd, that's fine. I like to look at facts and make my own determinations. No one should be expecting the Colts to turn it around and win a bunch of games, that was never my point, ,but the hate being lobbed Saturday's way is ridiculous. Would it have been better to hire a black coach off the staff they knew would be fired at the end of the year to appease the woke? Cheers!
I think that's fair and right

Also it should be noted that Saturday has them leading going into the Half. Now maybe the Raiders come out and the 2nd Half is different but it would be unfair to characterize the Colts as laughable right now. In fact they were anything but that and Ic an't point to a single play or point int he game thus far where Saturday is inhibiting the team

Should be an entertaining 2nd Half depending on what you are watching for
I had LVR -4 and it's not going well :lmao:

Also it should be noted that Saturday has them leading going into the Half. Now maybe the Raiders come out and the 2nd Half is different but it would be unfair to characterize the Colts as laughable right now. In fact they were anything but that and Ic an't point to a single play or point int he game thus far where Saturday is inhibiting the team

Raiders are the worst of the worst. If Saturday is a leader of men, McDaniels is the opposite x2. Whatever happens in this game likely won't be a sign of what's to come for Saturday and the Colts either way. The Colts' schedule for at least the next 3-4 games is brutal, so we're going to learn a lot about this team.

I've just been annoyed at the insults and venom being lobbed Saturday's way. It's unfair to say the least. Typical media though, wanting to make it a race issue when it's just not.

Raiders are the worst of the worst. If Saturday is a leader of men, McDaniels is the opposite x2. Whatever happens in this game likely won't be a sign of what's to come for Saturday and the Colts either way. The Colts' schedule for at least the next 3-4 games is brutal, so we're going to learn a lot about this team.

I've just been annoyed at the insults and venom being lobbed Saturday's way. It's unfair to say the least. Typical media though, wanting to make it a race issue when it's just not.

Today‘s media always wants to do that.

I'm so tired of it. But I'm from a biracial family, so I'm allowed to say that. Or am I? Or am I only allowed to be 50% outraged? We really need the media to give us a better rule set on all of this...

Again with the race? Im not sure what youve read to convince you that people are finding the hire rediculous because no black man was interviewed for the job but if the people you are listening to are saying that perhaps you need to listen to other people. If that IS NOT the case ( I certainly havent seen anybody making it about race besides you) and certainly havent hear anything about appeasing the woke. Then maybe you should consider why you keep bringing up race. and woke. I would find it no more or no less rediculous to hire Saturday if he were white, black, asian, or any other variation of skin color. Im not even sure if the rooney rule applies to midseason replacements ( Im assuming it doesnt)

I'm so tired of it. But I'm from a biracial family, so I'm allowed to say that. Or am I? Or am I only allowed to be 50% outraged? We really need the media to give us a better rule set on all of this...
Be careful to not turn this into politics. That is a suspend-able offense now.

Again with the race? Im not sure what youve read to convince you that people are finding the hire rediculous because no black man was interviewed for the job but if the people you are listening to are saying that perhaps you need to listen to other people. If that IS NOT the case ( I certainly havent seen anybody making it about race besides you) and certainly havent hear anything about appeasing the woke. Then maybe you should consider why you keep bringing up race. and woke. I would find it no more or no less rediculous to hire Saturday if he were white, black, asian, or any other variation of skin color. Im not even sure if the rooney rule applies to midseason replacements ( Im assuming it doesnt)
Spelled ridiculous, not re….. oh forget it.

Nobody did nothing but let's keep it out of the range where people get offended

Taylor putting the Colts back up top

You can see Saturday's influence on the team right now.

They're not going quietly, in fact they seem to be coming right thru the front door at the moment

Last edited:

They're not going quietly, in fact they're seem to coming right thru the front door at the moment
Let’s not forget this is the Raiders, but I do like his sideline presence and demeanor.

Yeah. You could probably follow me around and point out all my spelling/grammar errors but what would be the point of that huh.

Yeah. You could probably follow me around and point out all my spelling/grammar errors but what would be the point of that huh.
Well, I did say forget it ;)

They're not going quietly, in fact they're seem to coming right thru the front door at the moment
Let’s not forget this is the Raiders, but I do like his sideline presence and demeanor.
I agree 100% with this, he is involved to put it mildly. Not over the top but he looks like he knows exactly what is happening, certainly doesn't look lost or asking for directions from the other coaches. Win/Lose, this might have been a good thing

I mean, did you miss the Thursday Night Football game? Or all the NFL Network or ESPN coverage since then? Race has been brought up relentlessly by the talking heads.

No black man was interviewed, so what? It doesn't make the hire racist. Unorthodox, yes, racist no. The Rooney Rule is a load of **** anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread