What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL getting rid of Pro Bowl? (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Joe Bryant just posted on Facebook a report that Roger Goodell told Mike and Mike that after watching what went on last Sunday, the league will have discussions about eliminating the Pro Bowl.

It's about time. Replace it by naming Pro Bowlers but then having skills conpetitions of some sort:

-Fastest Man

-QB competitions

-Kicking competitions

-Strongest Man

etc.

I can't remember the last time I watched the pro bowl, but I would actually check out a skills competition.

There used to be a Skills Challenge, and they got rid of it...

Video from 2007 Pro Bowl

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that interview this morning. Roger was pretty annoyed by the quality of play, said if this is the best product the NFL is going to put out there they ought to get rid of it. He didn't say that was going to happen though, said this is being referred to the competition committee. Presumably it'll be determined whether that sort of debacle will continue to take place or whether they can somehow get the players to care enough to make an effort. Seems to me there would be more effort out of sheer embarrassment at what took place in that game from some of the prima donnas out there.

I heard that interview this morning. Roger was pretty annoyed by the quality of play, said if this is the best product the NFL is going to put out there they ought to get rid of it. He didn't say that was going to happen though, said this is being referred to the competition committee. Presumably it'll be determined whether that sort of debacle will continue to take place or whether they can somehow get the players to care enough to make an effort. Seems to me there would be more effort out of sheer embarrassment at what took place in that game from some of the prima donnas out there.
Why though? The game is a joke, and personally I don't blame the players for not putting out a huge effort. Why on earth should they risk their careers after a long, grueling season, in an exhibition game? Just get rid of it, replace it with a skills competition, have the two sides play Madden on the big screen, something besides this.

Bring back the college all-stars vs the NFL, only this time have the all-stars play the NFL team with the worst recrod instead of the Super Bowl champs. I guess most of you are too young to remember that the college all-stars used to get the crap beat out of them each year by the Super Bowl champs.

ETA: I remember when I used to love the Pro Bowl game. Boy has time changed.

Why though? The game is a joke, and personally I don't blame the players for not putting out a huge effort. Why on earth should they risk their careers after a long, grueling season, in an exhibition game? Just get rid of it, replace it with a skills competition, have the two sides play Madden on the big screen, something besides this.
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that as long as they agree to show up and play their pride as professionals ought to kick in. If not, don't agree to take the free trip and all the freebies that go along with it, and then steal fans' money. And if they can't find guys willing to put forth the effort, afraid of the risk, then by all means kill the game.

They should continue to vote players to the Pro Bowl, send everyone over to Hawaii, but instead of actually playing the game, just have EA simulate the results of the Pro Bowl. Those deserving still get the reward of a vacation to Hawaii without actually having the risks of getting hurt.

They should continue to vote players to the Pro Bowl, send everyone over to Hawaii, but instead of actually playing the game, just have EA simulate the results of the Pro Bowl. Those deserving still get the reward of a vacation to Hawaii without actually having the risks of getting hurt.
Simulate the results? I don't think anyone would care about that, but I also think they should continue to vote players into the Pro Bowl. I think having other types of competition would be a good way to entertain the fans and still reduce the risk of serious injury.

I am in favor of a skills competition. This was the worst effort I had ever seen in a Pro Bowl (I did not watch it, but saw the "highlights")

There's already an All-Pro designation. No need for a Pro Bowl designation if there's no "bowl" involved.I wouldn't mind some skill competitions. I always enjoyed the QB competitions. But it'll suffer the same fate if the best aren't there competing in it.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that as long as they agree to show up and play their pride as professionals ought to kick in. If not, don't agree to take the free trip and all the freebies that go along with it, and then steal fans' money. And if they can't find guys willing to put forth the effort, afraid of the risk, then by all means kill the game.
I think stealing the fans' money is a bit over the top- it's a meaningless exhibition game, they shouldn't have high expectations.In the NFL, the risk just outweighs the reward by a longshot. It's much different from the other sports that way. They should just get rid of the game altogether.

Another "name the teams but don't play the game" fan here. I can't remember the last time I watched the Pro Bowl. I would actually prefer that the NFL get EA to simulate the game using standard NFL regular season rules to the current situation.

I'd probably watch a skills competition, though. Set it up like the old Superstars team competitions and finish it off with the tug-of-war. If they keep the scheduling the way it is now, maybe take a page out of baseball's playbook and have the competition determine which team gets homefield advantage in the Super Bowl.

Remember the days when the Super Bowl champ played the college All-stars? Can anyone remember whether those games were competitive?

If you are a star why would you risk injury for a meaningless game and sacrifice millions of dollars?

Skills could be fun. Also, some kind of athletic competition like basketball or softball. But I guess the injury concern isn't emiminated in that scenario either.

This is easy. Just do lots of skills competitions where each winner gets $100K donated to the charity of their choice.

I'd watch that easily.

'humpback said:
'Couch Potato said:
'humpback said:
'Couch Potato said:
I think stealing the fans' money is a bit over the top- it's a meaningless exhibition game, they shouldn't have high expectations.In the NFL, the risk just outweighs the reward by a longshot. It's much different from the other sports that way. They should just get rid of the game altogether.
I paid quite a bit for front row seats to the 2007 Pro Bowl and didn't really feel ripped off because I got to see a lot of great players up close. Not sure I'd do it again but it was fun to experience.

This is easy. Just do lots of skills competitions where each winner gets $100K donated to the charity of their choice.I'd watch that easily.
And if the fastest player competition results in a torn hamstring?Yeah, the $100k for charity would totally make up for that.

Pro Bowl Team 1: Ages 30 and over

Pro Bowl Team 2: Ages 29 and younger

Both teams would care who won and it would be fun to watch.

Problem solved.

The Pro Bowl is more about the younger generation. I remember watching the games, hoping to see a couple Packers here or there, and getting excited seeing the various helmets. If you don't like it, don't watch but others will.

This is easy. Just do lots of skills competitions where each winner gets $100K donated to the charity of their choice.I'd watch that easily.
And if the fastest player competition results in a torn hamstring?Yeah, the $100k for charity would totally make up for that.
Because players often tear their hamstrings running a 40 in shorts??Let me guess... the only competition you would advocate is which player can sit on a couch for the longest period of time. Although, I guess that is pretty dangerous, they might get a DVT!! :rolleyes:

Bring back the college all-stars vs the NFL, only this time have the all-stars play the NFL team with the worst recrod instead of the Super Bowl champs. I guess most of you are too young to remember that the college all-stars used to get the crap beat out of them each year by the Super Bowl champs.

ETA: I remember when I used to love the Pro Bowl game. Boy has time changed.
I think it would be great to watch a college all-star team play against an NFL rookie team, but I don't think the agents would ever let it happen a few short months before the draft. I would definitely tune in to watch Luck play against a team of NFL defensive players even if they were rookies but again, I can't imagine it ever happening.Maybe they could assemble a team of quality college players trying to move up in the draft. There is more interest in the NFL draft than ever before so the fans of 30 NFL teams with nothing to look forward to might tune in to see prospects. I know I'd be much more interested to watch that game than watching 30yo millionaires jog around the field trying not to get injured. It would be a one time experience for the NFL rookies since they couldn't go back year after year.

I know of very few serious injuries from sprints unless someone is hurting at the time... and if there is any hint of that, someone should not run.If you are feeling good, then one more hard 100 or 60 yard sprint won't hurt - you will be doing it the next week or so in training anyway.

Zero interest in a skills comp, and cant imagine that would be very popular.

Rookie all stars vs college all stars is by far the best idea Ive herd

The Pro Bowl is more about the younger generation. I remember watching the games, hoping to see a couple Packers here or there, and getting excited seeing the various helmets. If you don't like it, don't watch but others will.
Re: the bolded, are you talking about players or fans?

Remember the days when the Super Bowl champ played the college All-stars? Can anyone remember whether those games were competitive?
NFL is somewhat of a loose term when you get too far back into history. Initially, college was better than pro. In fact, if you go way back Harvard and Yale were top teams. NFL teams would destroy college kids now, there'd be great concern of them getting hurt even.I thought David Stern did a great job of livening up the NBA All star game. I think the NFL needs to copy that and twist it to suit.I liked a million years ago when the Olympic hoops team had some younger guys sprinkled in. IIRC All star MVP and winners get $ in the NBA.Rookie game, 3 point competition, dunk contest-people here are mentioning skills competition. I think Stern's plan also involved getting the fans involved and that's pretty key too. I don't mind that pass, punt, kick competition they put on at games. Give us ten minutes of that and make some little kid famous. We never see a field goal challenge for fans but they exist. Let us root for the guy with the fat belly that can't see the tee yet almost crushes the backdrop net.The NFL just needs to rework things ala Stern and they can make it a great week for fans.

Didn't Patriots RB Robert Edwards basically ruin his promising career by shredding his knee in an All-Star flag football game in the sand many years ago? I think a skills challenge would be ok, I'd probably watch if some big names were participating. As far as playing any sort of game, they should just get rid of it, it's virtually unwatchable.

People wouldn't watch a skills competition. There is a reason the cancelled the NFL Quarterback Challenge.

Didn't Patriots RB Robert Edwards basically ruin his promising career by shredding his knee in an All-Star flag football game in the sand many years ago? I think a skills challenge would be ok, I'd probably watch if some big names were participating. As far as playing any sort of game, they should just get rid of it, it's virtually unwatchable.
Yep.Someone else got hurt the following year (recoverable not as dramatic) and that seemed to be the end of that.

Colleges have alumni games. How about pro bowlers play with the old guys in flag football and have it be the two Supe teams' alumni?

NFL Allstar weekend

[*]Rookie vs Sophomore game

[*]Skills competition for every position

(kickers comp would be pretty sweet actually)

should be a weekend where the youngsters hold down the main event while the vets show off the skills a bit and relax and put wagers on the young guys. You know the sophs won't want the rooks to show them up, imagine comp between teammates in the same position, etc.

The cost of sending the rookie and sophs to hawaii would be way to high when the majority of them would have no business being near a pro bowl. I would think that should be an earned trip. It's not like the NBA where you're only taking 15-20 guys to Detroit

'Chaka said:
People wouldn't watch a skills competition. There is a reason the cancelled the NFL Quarterback Challenge.
:shrug: I loved Quarterback Challenge. Would totally watch a well-thought out skills challenge with top players.

There's a thoughtget some ofnthe best madden players in the countrytweak the madden ratings for the pro-bowlers to reflect the currrent seasonbroadcast a madden matchup

yes i would love to see torrey smith vs mike wallace in a race or 2 teams' offensive lines (5 each) in a tug o war match would be awesome and great bragging rights for the big men

also, just glorify the 1st team - 2nd team honors, make it into a show. i'd watch that

Can you plug 11 controllers into an XBox and have every man control himself in Madden? That would be awesome.

'Chaka said:
Eh, I think the QB Challenge suffered from quite a few problems. The first of which is that there was zero advertising for it so nobody had any clue when it was or what channel it was on. I'd be flipping through the channels and all of a sudden see that it was on and be like :excited: "I had no idea this was on!! Sweet!" Secondly, the NFL put no effort into making a big deal out of it at all. All the prestige went to the Pro Bowl so a lot of fans didn't care about the QB Challenge at all because of it. If the NFL pumped it up as being meaningful, more people would watch. And lastly, the good QBs stopped doing it. When you had guys like JP Losman or whatever in the QB Challenge, the public knew that nobody cared. But if the Pro Bowl was eliminated and the only guys that got the free trip to Hawaii were the guys in the skills competitions, I think you'd see more guys wanting to be a part of it. I also think there's lots of good young QBs that great up watching that stuff that would LOVE to take part in something like that today. I think you could very easily get a lineup of:Ryan FitzpatrickMark SanchezAndy DaltonJoe FlaccoTim TebowMike VickMatt StaffordAaron RogersCam NewtonI think you'd get tons of people willing to watch those guys.And if you did the NFL's fastest man with all those WRs and CBs talking trash, promoting themselves and having fun? Gold I tell you.Or what about letting the guys get creative and throw in a subjective judging competition? Let the guys tear it loose and have a TD Celebration competition. Let the guys do the stuff they all want to do and we all want to see but the NFL won't allow during games.

Wasn't winning the skills competition Jason Sehorn's claim to fame?
You may be thinking of the Superstars competition, where they pitted a bunch of athletes from different sports against each other.Either way, Sehorn really only had 2 claims to fame:1) Being the only white safety in the NFL for many years2) Bagging Angie Harmon on Leno

Users who are viewing this thread