What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

jurb26

Footballguy
Had a little free time so figured I'd throw a mock together. Flame away!

1 Det Andre Smith OT Alabama

Det will finally get it right and start building their team from the inside out. I'm guessing Smith will grade out as the best Tackle, but Oher could push him.

2 St. Louis Michael Oher OT Ole Miss

Oher doesn't have to wait long after Smith and is the #2 pick. St. L needs a bookend to their Oline and Oher provides just that.

3 KC Matt Stafford QB Georgia

KC is in clear need of a franchise QB and are lucky enough to have one staring them in the face with the #3 pick. Det could throw a wrench by taking Stafford (and the whole draft as the next QB will wait a while), but if they don't I'm nearly certain he is a Chief.

4 Sea Michael Crabtree WR Tex Tech

Sea needs a playmaker on the edge and Crabtree is just that.

5 Clev Malcolm Jenkins CB OSU

Jenkins may in fact be the best prospect in the entire draft and he fills a huge need for the Browns.

6 Cinci Brian Orakpo DE Texas

Cinci adds the explosive rusher off the edge they so desperately need in Orakpo. I could also see Cinci going with Curry here, but not if Orakpo is still on the board.

7 Oak Jason Smith OT Baylor

The Oak Oline is still not quite there yet. The other Smith at Tackle will help get it there.

8 Jack Ray Maualuga ILB USC

Having just missed out on the 3 tackles they want, Jack employees the best defensive player on the board.

9 GB Vonte Davis CB Illinois

although still good, the CBs are getting old in GB. Davis has shutdown potential and is a perfect fit for the aggressive coverage GB likes to play.

10 SF Taylor Mays S USC

Mays brings back memories of S. Taylor with his size, speed, attitude and overall freakish ability from the S spot. While I don't think he has quite the instincts Taylor did, he is the best S prospect we've seen since IMO. SF needs a guy just like Mays to center field their D and pair up with Willis.

11 Buf Aaron Curry OLB Wake

Curry is an explosive player and should help sure up the Buf front 7.

12 Den Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia

Den takes the 1st opportunity it can to find a stud RB with Shanny gone. Moreno will probably not disappoint.

13 Wash Eugene Monroe OT Virginia

There's no 2 ways about it, the Wash Oline is old and badly in need of both depth and youth. Everrette Brown could also prove tempting here.

14 NO Trevard Lindley CB Kentucky

Lindley will fly up draft boards in a few months IMO. Very physically gifted player who fills a massive need for NO.

15 Hou Everrette Brown DE FSU

Hou just continues to invest in it's front 7 in hope to build a dominating unit.

16 SD Chris Wells RB OSU

LT fans/owners nightmare comes true. Sproles is not the every down guy they need and Wells proves to be the BPA.

17 NYJ Alphonso Smith CB Wake

Could see NYJ going with Bradford (assuming he declaires) here, but more than likely I see them continuing to upgrade their secondary and Smith could prove the final piece to the puzzle.

18 Chi Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma

Bradford falls to Chi gift wrapped and with a bow.

19 TB Peria Jerry DT Ole Miss

TB may look to draft Laurinaitis or Spikes as well, but I think they take the top DT in the draft instead.

20 Det (Dal) James Laurinaitis ILB OSU

Det picks up a tackle machine and instant upgrade to it's LB core in Laurinaitis.

21 Arz LeSean McCoy RB Pitt

Edge is not likely a Cardinal next year and a McCoy/Hightower RB combo could prove unstoppable.

22 Philly Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma

Plan and simply I don't see Smith back in Philly next year and Gresham is the best TE in this class.

23 Minn Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri

Minn can't resist the playmaking ability of Maclin this late in the 1st round.

24 NE Brian Cushing OLB USC

NE continues to add youth and speed to it's LB core.

25 Atl William Moore S Missouri

Atl adds a big, physical guy who can run to the defensive backfield which is exactly what they need.

26 Mia Rashad Johnson S Alabama

Not sure how much pub Johnson is getting right now, but I see him as another riser in this draft class. Reminds me of a poor mans Ed Reed (you remember him, right Mia?). Tremendous ball skills for a safety and uncanny instincts. Lacks ideal size and athletic measurements, but is a fine football player.

27 Balt Darrius Hayward-Bey WR Maryland

Balt looks to add weapons to the help support their newly crowned franchise QB.

28 Philly (Car) Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma

Philly looks to add depth to an Oline unit that is looking at some FAs this year.

29 Indy George Selvie DE South Florida

Another speed rusher for the Indy cover 2.

30 Pitt Ciron Black OT LSU

Pitt was hoping Robinson would fall, but will take Black with a grin as well.

31 NYG Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

NYG looks to take the BPA here.

32 Tenn Percy Harvin WR Florida

Clearly Tenn, won't be picking last this year but this is their guy none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Bradford is there at #4, and Seattle skips him to go for Crabtree, there will be a video of me on Youtube yelling at the TV.

If Bradford is there at #4, and Seattle skips him to go for Crabtree, there will be a video of me on Youtube yelling at the TV.
I considered Bradford there, but overall Crabtree is going to grade out as the better player and they need both IMO. Freeman will be there for them in round 2....

The Browns will draft a LB at #5 no doubt. You can't run a 3-4 without good LB's, and the Browns only have 1 good one on the team really. Wouldn't be surprised if their first 2 picks were LB. Mauluga and Matthews would be a nice combo, IMO.

Negatives

Selvie and Black have said they're staying in school.

I would be stunned, STUNNED if Bradford fell that far.

If Denver takes a RB instead of a defenseman they should shut the place down.

I think Laurinaitis is going to see a Posluszny-like fall.

Postitives

I would love to see Maclin as a Viking.

I like that you have SD taking a RB. I agree with it, just think it would be McCoy ahead of Wells.

I think those are the same guys I had Philly taking.

OT going 1st and 2nd? 3 in the top 7 picks? Has anything close to that ever happened?
I think there's a high likelihood that it happens this year. Both Smith an Oher are studs.
The Browns will draft a LB at #5 no doubt. You can't run a 3-4 without good LB's, and the Browns only have 1 good one on the team really. Wouldn't be surprised if their first 2 picks were LB. Mauluga and Matthews would be a nice combo, IMO.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Curry selected as the first LB, even ahead of Maualuga. Curry's versatility would be a boon to the Browns.

Had a little free time so figured I'd throw a mock together. Flame away!

29 Indy George Selvie DE South Florida

Another speed rusher for the Indy cover 2.
Trying to be helpful here as it's next to impossible for a normal person to know the needs of every single team.I could be wrong, but as a Colts fan I can't see us drafting a DE as it isn't a need. We already have Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney. I think the Colts will draft a DT (by far their biggest need IMO), an OLB (a position we could upgrade at), or a WR (I know they have Gonzalez, but I could see them drafting another one if Harrison gets cut). I suppose there is an outside chance we could draft an offensive guard (our two rookies really struggled this year) or a cornerback (only if Kelvin Hayden isn't resigned).

Negatives

Selvie and Black have said they're staying in school.

I would be stunned, STUNNED if Bradford fell that far.

If Denver takes a RB instead of a defenseman they should shut the place down.

I think Laurinaitis is going to see a Posluszny-like fall.

Postitives

I would love to see Maclin as a Viking.

I like that you have SD taking a RB. I agree with it, just think it would be McCoy ahead of Wells.

I think those are the same guys I had Philly taking.
Good call, missed those 2 guys saying that. :lmao: Where would you rather a RB land for fantasy purposes, SD or Arz? I think I'll be in the minority here but I say Arz. The Wizz is at work down there. :yes:

No problem with the Raiders. WR or OT seems to be the consensus, whatever that's worth. I wouldn't even be completely upset with Maclin or Orakpo there.

Any mock that has Detroit taking one of the tackles makes me happy.

To say that Detroit will finally get it right is a pretty bold statement, though.

Any mock that has Detroit taking one of the tackles makes me happy.To say that Detroit will finally get it right is a pretty bold statement, though.
Well, they finally got it right and fired Millen. Guess asking for lighting to strike twice is pretty outlandish though.

OT going 1st and 2nd? 3 in the top 7 picks? Has anything close to that ever happened?
I think there's a high likelihood that it happens this year. Both Smith an Oher are studs.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Curry selected as the first LB, even ahead of Maualuga. Curry's versatility would be a boon to the Browns.
Andy old man Ford will want a QB. Lions are nor smart enough to take a stud OT with the first pick. They will take Joey Stafford or Joey Bradford

Wouldn't that be too similar to what they have already in Sproles though? Pairing up Wells and his dinged up nature in a RBBC with a smaller speedier Sproles that they also worry cannot carry the load seems like a perfect fit.Also, Harvin and Spikes have both said they're leaning towards staying. Nothing official yet, though.

Where would you rather a RB land for fantasy purposes, SD or Arz? I think I'll be in the minority here but I say Arz. The Wizz is at work down there. :shrug:
Short term or long term? I think a RB in Arz will have more of an opportunity to make a quick impact but long term the RB in SD will get more work since Arz will probably remain a passing team.
Andy old man Ford will want a QB. Lions are nor smart enough to take a stud OT with the first pick. They will take Joey Stafford or Joey Bradford
I don't think they'll be wrong in taking a franchise QB either.

Wouldn't that be too similar to what they have already in Sproles though? Pairing up Wells and his dinged up nature in a RBBC with a smaller speedier Sproles that they also worry cannot carry the load seems like a perfect fit.
That's why I think McCoy would be a more likely pick than Wells.

Where would you rather a RB land for fantasy purposes, SD or Arz? I think I'll be in the minority here but I say Arz. The Wizz is at work down there. :shrug:
Short term or long term? I think a RB in Arz will have more of an opportunity to make a quick impact but long term the RB in SD will get more work since Arz will probably remain a passing team.
I don't think they'll be wrong in taking a franchise QB either.
Joey was a "Franchise" QB how did that work out. The need to take Smith/Oher because whatever QB they take will get killed with that Oline. I don't see either of those 2 guys being at best just OK. Just Ok is not worth the #1 pick.

Joey was a "Franchise" QB how did that work out. The need to take Smith/Oher because whatever QB they take will get killed with that Oline. I don't see either of those 2 guys being at best just OK. Just Ok is not worth the #1 pick.
Harrington was not a franchise QB even though the Lions thought he was. And Bradford is light years ahead of Joey. Not sure about Stafford just yet.And if you have a stud left tackle without a QB playing behind it...then what?

10 SF Taylor Mays S USC

Mays brings back memories of S. Taylor with his size, speed, attitude and overall freakish ability from the S spot. While I don't think he has quite the instincts Taylor did, he is the best S prospect we've seen since IMO. SF needs a guy just like Mays to center field their D and pair up with Willis.
No question SF needs help in the secondary, but they need a ball-hawking free safety, not a SS type like Mays. However, if they think Mays grades out as the BPA they still may take him. If there is a free safety they can target lower, I think that's what they'll do.

Wouldn't that be too similar to what they have already in Sproles though? Pairing up Wells and his dinged up nature in a RBBC with a smaller speedier Sproles that they also worry cannot carry the load seems like a perfect fit.
Not sure I'm following you there..

The feeling's mutual. :bag: I'm not sure what you mean.I don't think Sproles is a full time back. Do you?

The feeling's mutual. :bag: I'm not sure what you mean.I don't think Sproles is a full time back. Do you?
Basically I was saying that I think Wells is the better compliment to Sproles than McCoy.

Harrington was not a franchise QB even though the Lions thought he was. And Bradford is light years ahead of Joey. Not sure about Stafford just yet.And if you have a stud left tackle without a QB playing behind it...then what?
There was not an expert out there that said Joey was not a franchise QB. You take the Oline now and give K.Smith room to run. Orlovski can be every bit the QB the Stafford and Bradford can be next season. Lets face it they will most likely have a top 5 pick next season and they can take Mccoy who is better than both of them. Hell if the Chiefs take a QB I would not mind having Thigpen here.

I never got the argument that Player X failed at Team Y, so Position Z makes no sense.

There was not an expert out there that said Joey was not a franchise QB. You take the Oline now and give K.Smith room to run. Orlovski can be every bit the QB the Stafford and Bradford can be next season. Lets face it they will most likely have a top 5 pick next season and they can take Mccoy who is better than both of them. Hell if the Chiefs take a QB I would not mind having Thigpen here.
I guess I don't remember people being so high on Harrington. In his senior season at Oregon, he only threw for 2,415 yards and 23 touchdowns. What was the appeal? :lmao:But whatever, I think they can't possibly go wrong with taking either of the top 2 tackles or Bradford. I think they should avoid Stafford.

I never got the argument that Player X failed at Team Y, so Position Z makes no sense.
Or the idea that Team Y drafted Position Z for the last two years and it didn't pan out so they likely won't take Position Z again.

If M. Oher, A. Smith, E. Monroe, J. Smith, D. Robinson, and E. Britton are off the board I expect Pitt to go with either Mack or Unger.

I know that this is still early, with no trades involved. But, I could definitely see the Eagles using the extra pick in the 1st or possibly a 2nd to move up in the 1st rd for a stud o-lineman. They have done it in the past, and it is a definite need for them.

One other note, I think Stafford will be a bust. He has all the tools, but has not improved the way a budding star should. BTW I think if he comes out, Sanchez will be the best QB of this class.

One other note, I think Stafford will be a bust. He has all the tools, but has not improved the way a budding star should.
This is easily the largest myth around here.
Code:
YEAR	 CMP 	ATT 	YDS 	CMP% 	YPA 	LNG 	TD 	INT 	SACK 	RAT2006 	135 	256 	1749 	52.7 	6.83 	53 	7 	13 	12 	108.992007 	194 	348 	2523 	55.7 	7.25 	84 	19 	10 	15 	128.922008 	235 	383 	3459 	61.4 	9.03 	78 	25 	10 	17 	153.54

Very nice mock overall. Couple things i see differently: I'd be astounded if Alex Mack wasn't drafted in the first round, and equally astounded if Bradford falls to 18.

I have looked at a lot of mock drafts and there seems to be a consensus that the Ravens are going to draft Heyward-Bey, though i don't know why. The one WR that seems to be in their long term plays (that can stay healthy) is Mark Clayton, and the way he plays is very similar to Heyward-Bey, i don't think a team can be successful with their 2 starting wideouts being predominantly deep threats.

My guess is the Ravens would be better off in getting a WR who can replace Mason. A guy who has the ability to have 80+ receptions in a season. I don't think Heyward-Bey is that kind of player. I think the Ravens would be better off drafting Kenny Britt if they are gonna take a WR in the first, or maybe Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd round and drafting a different in the first.

Very nice mock overall. Couple things i see differently: I'd be astounded if Alex Mack wasn't drafted in the first round, and equally astounded if Bradford falls to 18.I have looked at a lot of mock drafts and there seems to be a consensus that the Ravens are going to draft Heyward-Bey, though i don't know why. The one WR that seems to be in their long term plays (that can stay healthy) is Mark Clayton, and the way he plays is very similar to Heyward-Bey, i don't think a team can be successful with their 2 starting wideouts being predominantly deep threats. My guess is the Ravens would be better off in getting a WR who can replace Mason. A guy who has the ability to have 80+ receptions in a season. I don't think Heyward-Bey is that kind of player. I think the Ravens would be better off drafting Kenny Britt if they are gonna take a WR in the first, or maybe Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd round and drafting a different in the first.
If the QBs get by Sea then I think they are in for a fall. SF could decide to go QB in the first round, but I'm guessing that they will want to sure up the D 1st and foremost.Not sure why other people are slotting Bey in Balt. For me it really just came down to him being the best WR available and at a position I think they are looking to upgrade. Anyway, I don't think Bey and Clayton are really all that similar. I think Clayton can move over to the Mason role and Bey become the guy who stretches the field. I see them as a nice complement.

Management needs to create interest in the team and show the local semi-fans that they want to win ASAP. A promising future is more important than any thing else. Drafting an outstanding OT will not meet that goal. . A 'star' player is needed. Hmmm.. If rookie QB Harrington werer draftable, he'd be ideal.

10 SF Taylor Mays S USC

:bowtie: This is the hope on the 49er boards

Nice mock.

Regarding the Dolphins - Sparano was quoted as saying he wants to get bigger, strongre & faster on both sides of the line. With that said I could see the Dolphins taking Alex Mack, C from Cal - 6-4 / 316. Satele is not getting the job done on their Oline.

9 GB Vonte Davis CB Illinoisalthough still good, the CBs are getting old in GB. Davis has shutdown potential and is a perfect fit for the aggressive coverage GB likes to play.
Good effort. Not easy to do this early.I understand that GB is a tough one to figure out, especially with TT at the helm, but this would not be bpa at #9 imo at all. I'd think Curry, E Brown, or E Monroe would grade higher based on how this mock has gone. At least I hope so.

Choke said:
Andy Dufresne said:
massraider said:
Andy Dufresne said:
gman74 said:
Or the idea that Team Y drafted Position Z for the last two years and it didn't pan out so they likely won't take Position Z again.
I absolutely HATE that stupid idea/reasoning/thought-process. And I hear it all the time, particularly from homers.
I agree. Just because the Lions drafted Harrington 5 years ago doesn't mean they should never draft a QB with a high pick again. The Bengals drafted Carson Palmer a few years after Akili Smith. The Falcons took Matt Ryan after the whole Michael Vick debacle.

Nice mock.

The one item that has been addressed is the Browns pick. I would mind Jenkins and he might eventually end up as the pick if he is the undisputed BPA of the draft and falls into the hands of the Browns at #5 but the Browns have two decent CBs in Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald. This was Wright's second year and he really stood up after a shaky start and then McDonald was in his first year as a starter and he hit a wall in mid season but then finished very strong down the stretch so a 'starting' CB isn't as big a need as some might assume. Depth is an issue at CB but depth at CB isn't what a team would place as a high priority with the #5 pick.

These gents have the Browns biggest need nailed and Andy is more on the money in thinking pass rusher.

Andy Dufresne said:
duece2626 said:
Here is an article that just came out Sunday explaining the Browns lack of pass rush and need of linebackers who will rush the passer.Browns need pass rushing linebackers

NFL notes: Mangini should start with the linebackers

Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:22 AM EST

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

Eric Mangini had been on the Browns’ payroll less than 24 hours when he met with reporters on Thursday, so he hadn’t had time to go over the roster player by player.

Once he begins his analysis, it will not take long for him to discover he needs at least two new linebackers if he wants his defenders to get close to the quarterback before the game ends and everyone is shaking hands.

There is no other word to describe it — the Browns’ pass rush was horrible in 2008.

Actually, there are other words, but if I use them I could end up like former Browns e-mailer Phil Savage.

The Browns recorded 17 sacks in 2008. Only the Chiefs and Bengals were worse. Combined, those three teams were 10-37-1. They have three of the first six picks in the draft in April.

The NFL playoffs this season reinforce the importance of having a defense that can sack and intimidate. The league average for sacks in 2008 was 32.4. Nine of the 12 teams that made the playoffs finished above the average. The exceptions are the Cardinals with 31, the Colts with 30 and the Chargers with 28.

The Steelers had 51 sacks, the Eagles had 48, the Vikings 45, the Titans 44, the Giants 42 and the Dolphins had 40.

Mangini’s Jets had 41 sacks in 2008. It wasn’t defense that let them down. They would have been in the playoffs and Mangini would still be their coach if Brett Favre hadn’t thrown two touchdown passes and nine interceptions in the last five games.

Thirteen of the Jets sacks were by starting outside linebackers Calvin Pace (seven) and Bryan Thomas (six). The Browns got five sacks combined from starting outside linebackers Kamerion Wimbley and Willie McGinest.

Mangini, and whoever is general manager, has to find aggressive pass rushers, and then new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has to turn them loose.

For the past four years, the Browns have been a 3-4 defense. That defense doesn’t work if the outside linebackers don’t pressure the quarterback.

Mangini learned under Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells. It is only natural he will use three linemen and four linebackers with the Browns. He believes it gives the defensive coordinator more flexibility. It certainly works for Steelers defensive coordinator **** LeBeau.

“You can move the defensive ends towards the nose and run whatever fronts you want,” Mangini said. “You aren’t necessarily married to the concept of always adjusting the defensive line or always adjusting the secondary.

“There’s a ton of flexibility, and it has been very effective over time. Everybody has a different way to run it.”

Rob Ryan, son of well-known defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan and twin brother of Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, was the Raiders’ defensive coordinator for the last five years. The Raiders sacked quarterbacks 32 times in 2008.

The contracts of McGinest and starting inside linebacker Andra Davis expire at the end of February. If former coach Romeo Crennel tells his friend Mangini anything, he should tell him McGinest should retire. Mangini coached McGinest in New England. Mangini should have enough Belichick in him not to be sympathetic toward the old warhorse McGinest.

So where do the Browns get these new linebackers? They aren’t on the roster, unless inside linebacker Leon Williams blossoms. Alex Hall, the 2008 seventh-round draft pick, quickly fizzled after a fast start.

New coaches almost always mean roster turnover.

Linebacker is a good place to start for Mangini.

‘D’ is more than sacks

Of course, defense is more than sacking the quarterback. The most important statistic is points allowed. The Jets had their 41 sacks, more than double what the Browns had, yet the Browns allowed 350 points and the Jets allowed 356.

A big reason the Browns allowed fewer points is they intercepted 23 passes and the Jets swiped 14.

There is no reason a team can’t have sacks and takeaways. The Ravens had 34 sacks and 26 interceptions. They allowed 244 points. They Steelers had 20 picks to go with their 51 sacks and allowed 223 points. They allowed the fewest points in the league. The only team with more sacks was Dallas with 59.

The lowly Chiefs had a league-worst 10 sacks and allowed 440 points. Only the Broncos (448), the Rams (465) and the Lions (517) allowed more.
The lack of pressure lead to many third down conversions which keep drives alive and wears down a defense. Many fans point out middle LB which isn't as big a need as pass rushing OLB.If Orakpo projects as an OLB and he's available then he won't make it past the Browns but I think KC nabs him before the Browns have a shot at him.

Its looking like Curry is pining loudest on radar right now but its pretty early and I like the effort of the mock. By the time April rolls around I would imagine the mocks will change radically but great early effort. Hope this input helps with future adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread