What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Nice to see a Kentucky player in the 1st round. Lindley's going to be a good pro, although he's one scrawny kid. He also got hurt in the Liberty Bowl, although I haven't been able to find out how serious it was.

Keep running this thing until the Bengals get an OT somehow. They've got a lot of money locked up in their mediocre defense ends.

I dont think Phi takes a Guard. With moving Andrews to G who was drafted as a tackle, it would make more sense to go RB, S, CB, or DE. They might trade out (both picks? lol) to nab more Tackle prospects, but they could just as easily package both picks to nab a graded tackle the convet earlier in the draft.

Andy Dufresne said:
gman74 said:
Andy Dufresne said:
gman74 said:
Joey was a "Franchise" QB how did that work out. The need to take Smith/Oher because whatever QB they take will get killed with that Oline. I don't see either of those 2 guys being at best just OK. Just Ok is not worth the #1 pick.
Harrington was not a franchise QB even though the Lions thought he was. And Bradford is light years ahead of Joey. Not sure about Stafford just yet.And if you have a stud left tackle without a QB playing behind it...then what?
There was not an expert out there that said Joey was not a franchise QB. You take the Oline now and give K.Smith room to run. Orlovski can be every bit the QB the Stafford and Bradford can be next season. Lets face it they will most likely have a top 5 pick next season and they can take Mccoy who is better than both of them. Hell if the Chiefs take a QB I would not mind having Thigpen here.
I guess I don't remember people being so high on Harrington. In his senior season at Oregon, he only threw for 2,415 yards and 23 touchdowns. What was the appeal? :mellow:But whatever, I think they can't possibly go wrong with taking either of the top 2 tackles or Bradford. I think they should avoid Stafford.
The Lions have the luxury of the #20 pick as well. You could go Stafford at #1 and a OT at your next pick. This is looking like a very deep year at OT. Both Atlanta & Carolina took a skill player with their higher pick and then drafted an OT later, worked out well for them.Detroit has to do something to address the QB situation for this coming year. Orlovsky & Culpepper are FA's. Kitna is in the last year of his contract.

9 GB Vonte Davis CB Illinoisalthough still good, the CBs are getting old in GB. Davis has shutdown potential and is a perfect fit for the aggressive coverage GB likes to play.
Good effort. Not easy to do this early.I understand that GB is a tough one to figure out, especially with TT at the helm, but this would not be bpa at #9 imo at all. I'd think Curry, E Brown, or E Monroe would grade higher based on how this mock has gone. At least I hope so.
Agreed. Add in that the aggresive scheme GB used to run could be gone, depending on D coordinator, and I'd be hard pressed to see GB taking a corner. Curry is probably better than just about any LB on the roster right nigh, inlcuding Hawk and Barnett.

This is from the PFW article in Andy's mock draft thread:

DE — After losing Jared Allen and his 151⁄2 sacks from 2007, the Chiefs set an NFL record for futility with only 10 sacks as a team in ’08. The previous NFL low was 11 sacks by the Baltimore Colts in the strike-shortened, nine-game 1982 season.
KC has a lot of needs but I see them taking Orakpo at #3. They set the record this year for fewest sacks by a team EVER in the history of the NFL. Trading away Jared Allen may have resulted in netting some nice picks but you've got to eventually replace him. There is some chatter that the DE's aren't all that great this year, so my opinion may change if Orakpo doesn't grade out well at the combine.

The Lions have the luxury of the #20 pick as well. You could go Stafford at #1 and a OT at your next pick. This is looking like a very deep year at OT. Both Atlanta & Carolina took a skill player with their higher pick and then drafted an OT later, worked out well for them.Detroit has to do something to address the QB situation for this coming year. Orlovsky & Culpepper are FA's. Kitna is in the last year of his contract.
:lmao: That's been my argument all along.(Although I do understand the arguments to the contrary.)

:hifive: That's been my argument all along.(Although I do understand the arguments to the contrary.)
What a sad state of affairs when they could draft any position and it would likely be a huge upgrade. You could even make a case for Crabtree!

:confused: That's been my argument all along.(Although I do understand the arguments to the contrary.)
Unless they get major free agent signings on the D side of the ball I cant see not using one of those picks on a DL or LB

Choke said:
Andy Dufresne said:
massraider said:
Andy Dufresne said:
gman74 said:
Joey was a "Franchise" QB how did that work out. The need to take Smith/Oher because whatever QB they take will get killed with that Oline. I don't see either of those 2 guys being at best just OK. Just Ok is not worth the #1 pick.
Harrington was not a franchise QB even though the Lions thought he was. And Bradford is light years ahead of Joey. Not sure about Stafford just yet.And if you have a stud left tackle without a QB playing behind it...then what?
I never got the argument that Player X failed at Team Y, so Position Z makes no sense.
Or the idea that Team Y drafted Position Z for the last two years and it didn't pan out so they likely won't take Position Z again.
I absolutely HATE that stupid idea/reasoning/thought-process. And I hear it all the time, particularly from homers.
I agree. Just because the Lions drafted Harrington 5 years ago doesn't mean they should never draft a QB with a high pick again. The Bengals drafted Carson Palmer a few years after Akili Smith. The Falcons took Matt Ryan after the whole Michael Vick debacle.
Phillip Rivers after Ryan Leaf.

cacksman said:
Incogneto said:
If Bradford is there at #4, and Seattle skips him to go for Crabtree, there will be a video of me on Youtube yelling at the TV.
And there will be videos of hundreds of other Seahawks fans cheering. :porked:
I don't like WRs taken in the top 10 picks. I would feel much better with Britt in the 2nd.

I would LOVE to see us take an O-lineman with the #1. We have so many holes, but you can't go wrong with snagging the top lineman, something we have sorely needed for... umm, forever!

If Bradford were to fall like that, I would be giddy if Detroit traded up to try and snag him from Chicago or whomever needs a QB. Trade the pick Dallas gave us and a 3rd or whatever and go git 'em along with Smith! The whole draft would be worthwhile right there!

Oh, I wanted to add about Denver... With Shanny gone, there's no telling what will happen there. But I think the real glaring need for Denver is defense, not offense. Yes, RB was a bit iffy, but personally Hillis didn't look all that bad when he was in. I could see them going top defenseman in the 1st and maybe going RB in the 2nd or 3rd..

cacksman said:
Incogneto said:
If Bradford is there at #4, and Seattle skips him to go for Crabtree, there will be a video of me on Youtube yelling at the TV.
And there will be videos of hundreds of other Seahawks fans cheering. :)
I don't like WRs taken in the top 10 picks. I would feel much better with Britt in the 2nd.
Crabtree looks like the exception to a rule like that (if you had one). He actually grades out almost exactly like Fitzgerald did when he came out. An article I found had this to say about Fitz:

"Larry Fitzgerald does not have blazing speed, but scouts love his size, quickness, strength, timing, leaping ability, precise route-running and strong, sure hands."

Does that not sound like another WR in this year's draft?

ETA: There is a reason you see the majority of mock drafts having Seattle take Crabtree. Its because he is likely to grade out as a top 3, if not the best prospect in the draft. He also plays a position that should be a top priority for Seattle to upgrade. When you can take a player at a position of need, who just happens to be the best player available, you do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I wanted to add about Denver... With Shanny gone, there's no telling what will happen there. But I think the real glaring need for Denver is defense, not offense. Yes, RB was a bit iffy, but personally Hillis didn't look all that bad when he was in. I could see them going top defenseman in the 1st and maybe going RB in the 2nd or 3rd..
I highly doubt denver goes RB at #12. If anything they trade down and take a DT so the can implement a 3-4 defense.

I highly doubt denver goes RB at #12. If anything they trade down and take a DT so the can implement a 3-4 defense.
Den and GB are the toughest teams for me to get a handle on right now. Coaching changes are making things difficult. Any insights are appreciated.

9 GB Vonte Davis CB Illinoisalthough still good, the CBs are getting old in GB. Davis has shutdown potential and is a perfect fit for the aggressive coverage GB likes to play.
Good effort. Not easy to do this early.I understand that GB is a tough one to figure out, especially with TT at the helm, but this would not be bpa at #9 imo at all. I'd think Curry, E Brown, or E Monroe would grade higher based on how this mock has gone. At least I hope so.
Agreed. Add in that the aggresive scheme GB used to run could be gone, depending on D coordinator, and I'd be hard pressed to see GB taking a corner. Curry is probably better than just about any LB on the roster right nigh, inlcuding Hawk and Barnett.
Curry is a great LB but Hawk and Barnett talent will shine when they are put in a system that allows them to be the players they can be. Bates/Sanders scheme has been so vanilla that it has not allowed them to be big players.CB is not a need on this team with Williams and Lee in the wings. Williams filled in well this year and Lee's injury is only thing that kept him from making more of an impact.IMO if one of the top OL or DL are on the board when the Packers pick they have to grab them. I really would like to see an OT taken this year since Tauscher is most likely gone and Clifton is very close to being shown the door.

Curry is a great LB but Hawk and Barnett talent will shine when they are put in a system that allows them to be the players they can be. Bates/Sanders scheme has been so vanilla that it has not allowed them to be big players.CB is not a need on this team with Williams and Lee in the wings. Williams filled in well this year and Lee's injury is only thing that kept him from making more of an impact.IMO if one of the top OL or DL are on the board when the Packers pick they have to grab them. I really would like to see an OT taken this year since Tauscher is most likely gone and Clifton is very close to being shown the door.
I agree that OL and DL should be their number one priority. I am not all that sold on their cb situation though. If we end up with a coordinator that wants to run anything besides press coverage, I don't see Harris being that effective. Williams didn't seem to be any better than average, and besides Lee's injury, I have heard that he is not a quick learner. The only areas that I would be absolutely against taking in the first two rounds would be qb and wr.

As a hommer, I would say D HAS to be the way they go. Don't forget about Tatum in the RB picture.

:lmao: That's been my argument all along.(Although I do understand the arguments to the contrary.)
I think it might not make some of the Lions fans happy, but they'd be better off taking the stud LT with the #1 pick, then trading up with the Dallas pick to take Sanchez (or risk it and see if he falls). Going more the route that Cleveland did by picking Thomas first. Unfortunately, with Bradford not coming out, that's going to make it difficult. I'm hoping that Colt McCoy changes his mind and comes out, I think they could get him with their 2nd round pick and go defense with the Cowboys' pick.

Nice to see a Kentucky player in the 1st round. Lindley's going to be a good pro, although he's one scrawny kid. He also got hurt in the Liberty Bowl, although I haven't been able to find out how serious it was.Keep running this thing until the Bengals get an OT somehow. They've got a lot of money locked up in their mediocre defense ends.
UK's Lindley to return for senior seasonKentucky junior cornerback Trevard Lindley has decided to bypass the NFL Draft and return to UK for his senior season. Lindley was named first-team All-Southeastern Conference this season, recording 39 tackles, 11 pass breakups and four interceptions. He owns the school record for pass breakups with 34.

GB passes on Monroe to pick a CB? I don't see it.
Agreed. Monroe would be just what the doctor ordered. He's a senior so he's more battle tested than some of the younger guys. He's athletic, with good feet, and he was good enough at LT to keep Branden Albert at guard. The same Branden Albert that the Chiefs took 15th overall last year. Unless Oher falls, I think Monroe is a great pick for GB if he's there.

I never got the argument that Player X failed at Team Y, so Position Z makes no sense.
Or the idea that Team Y drafted Position Z for the last two years and it didn't pan out so they likely won't take Position Z again.
I absolutely HATE that stupid idea/reasoning/thought-process. And I hear it all the time, particularly from homers.
I agree. Just because the Lions drafted Harrington 5 years ago doesn't mean they should never draft a QB with a high pick again. The Bengals drafted Carson Palmer a few years after Akili Smith. The Falcons took Matt Ryan after the whole Michael Vick debacle.
Phillip Rivers after Ryan Leaf.
Correction Phillip Rivers (via eli manning) after Drew Brees (pick 2.1) after Ryan LeafHindsight being 20/20, They shoulda kept the prize behind door number 2 (brees) and drafted Larry Fitzgerald in 2004.eta. nice mock.

Den and GB are the toughest teams for me to get a handle on right now. Coaching changes are making things difficult. Any insights are appreciated.
Defense, defense, defense. They need help all over the place. DL, LB, S and maybe even CB if they decide to cut Bly (I think he is due a big chunk of money this year). They may or may not be switching to a 3-4/hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. I'm willing to guess they will go best defensive player available regardless of position.

:thumbup: That's been my argument all along.(Although I do understand the arguments to the contrary.)
I think it might not make some of the Lions fans happy, but they'd be better off taking the stud LT with the #1 pick, then trading up with the Dallas pick to take Sanchez (or risk it and see if he falls). Going more the route that Cleveland did by picking Thomas first. Unfortunately, with Bradford not coming out, that's going to make it difficult. I'm hoping that Colt McCoy changes his mind and comes out, I think they could get him with their 2nd round pick and go defense with the Cowboys' pick.
With no more Bradford in the draft I've changed my tune to a LT at the #1 (Smith or Oher), BPA on defense at #20 & #33. Resign Orlovosky or Kitna, draft a QB possibly next year. Stay away from Cassel for now, he'll either be a FA next year or be much less expensive if Brady is healthy by training camp.

Users who are viewing this thread