What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL...National Felons League (1 Viewer)

Half in the bag

Footballguy
Cant keep up with all the arrests of NFL players and I seriously don't think there is any end in sight. The worst part is I don't seem to care or be even slightly dismayed by them any longer. I almost feel like I made a deal with the devil.

Yes it is turning out to be that.... The funniest post I have seen on this site though is the Hernandez being number 1 te LOL wow Doowain OOPs doh :topcat: maybe in the prison league.... wow poor guy's prediction went westward

The percentage of felons in the nfl vs everyday citizens is staggering.

Because there is a much greater percentage of felons in everyday citizens than in the nfl.

Perception is not reality. I blame the media.

I'm not sure why this even matters. Past the age of 15, does anyone even idolize professional athletes (with a few well-earned exceptions)? The shark move is to make sure your kids grow up knowing larger-than-life professional athletes (and actors, actresses, politicians, etc.) are all just people, and shouldn't be idolized, or at least copied.

They are incredible athletes playing a game for our entertainment, and they make a lot of money doing it They don't need to be anything more than that, and yet people set unrealistic expectations for the NFL as a whole. Enjoy it for what it is. Don't put them on a pedestal. They are human, just like everyone else. And some of them are just downright scum trash. And yet they are still good at football, and deserve to be paid what the market demands for their services in their field, as long as they aren't convicted felons. Just like everyone else in America.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because there is a much greater percentage of felons in everyday citizens than in the nfl.

Perception is not reality. I blame the media.
How about wealthy folks in the general population vs NFL? These guys have something to lose. Its too high a number for guys that should be setting themselves up for success. They've obtained their dream - the fear of losing it all doesn't seem to be there

I'm not sure why this even matters. Past the age of 15, does anyone even idolize professional athletes (with a few well-earned exceptions)? The shark move is to make sure your kids grow up knowing larger-than-life professional athletes (and actors, actresses, politicians, etc.) are all just people, and shouldn't be idolized, or at least copied.

They are incredible athletes playing a game for our entertainment, and they make a lot of money doing it They don't need to be anything more than that, and yet people set unrealistic expectations for the NFL as a whole. Enjoy it for what it is. Don't put them on a pedestal. They are human, just like everyone else. And some of them are just downright scum trash. And yet they are still good at football, and deserve to be paid what the market demands for their services in their field, as long as they aren't convicted felons. Just like everyone else in America.
Pretty much every man who as an interest in sports does, yes. We may not go outside and pretend to be our favorite star hitting the game winning shot like a child might. But we still look to sports the same we did as kids. We still want star athletes filling heroic roles.

Don't believe me? Go read any thread about Tim Tebow. Go to Texas and listen to sports radio talk about Vince Young. Go to Georgia and ask some older adults about Herschel Walker. Go to any memorabilia show and see the ridiculous amounts people will pay for an autograph. Sit down in a bar in Philly and say how Dr. J wasn't very good and tell me if you don't hear adoration before you get knifed.

Most people on this board would give up their career to be able to have a meaningful professional sports career.

Do you mean convicted felons, or do you mean people who've committed acts that, if proven, would support a felony conviction?

If the latter, I'd imagine the percentage in the NFL is about the same as for the rest of society: nearly 100%. (By one estimate, the average U.S. citizen commits about three felonies a day. For example, if you've ever gotten some junk mail and thrown it away even though it was addressed to somebody else, that's a felony.)

Do you mean convicted felons, or do you mean people who've committed acts that, if proven, would support a felony conviction?

If the latter, I'd imagine the percentage in the NFL is about the same as for the rest of society: nearly 100%. (By one estimate, the average U.S. citizen commits about three felonies a day. For example, if you've ever gotten some junk mail and thrown it away even though it was addressed to somebody else, that's a felony.)
How about comparing the percentage of NFL players that get arrested annually vs. US citizens in the same income bracket being arrested? Aka, the 1% that earn over $400K+ annually. That is a more appropriate comparison and I imagine it is a vast difference.

Half in the bag said:
Cant keep up with all the arrests of NFL players and I seriously don't think there is any end in sight. The worst part is I don't seem to care or be even slightly dismayed by them any longer. I almost feel like I made a deal with the devil.
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.

How about comparing the percentage of NFL players that get arrested annually vs. US citizens in the same income bracket being arrested? Aka, the 1% that earn over $400K+ annually. That is a more appropriate comparison and I imagine it is a vast difference.
Not really sure that's fair since they come into their wealth much more quickly, with a much smaller earning window than the average person in a lucrative career, and come from (usually) much poorer backgrounds in the first place.

Half in the bag said:
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
Have you been reading Dante or the new Dan Brown book?

Just for s#!ts & giggles, how about comparing them to an easy-to-find list of American politicians that have been charged and convicted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_federal_politicians_convicted_of_crimes

looks to me like there is at least one group of wealthy, stand-up citizen types that can give them a run for the money.

Just for s#!ts & giggles, how about comparing them to an easy-to-find list of American politicians that have been charged and convicted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_federal_politicians_convicted_of_crimes

looks to me like there is at least one group of wealthy, stand-up citizen types that can give them a run for the money.
:bs:

The NFL is no different than the rest of world. The only difference is that most people ignore what's going on everywhere else. (just look at Chicago, let's fix that before we fix the NFL)

My brother is friends with a former NFL player. He won a national championship in college and played on three NFL teams. A couple of years ago I had a chance to ask him about some of the players in the NFL. I threw out some names of people that he played with or against. For the most part, he said that the NFL is no different than anywhere else. But, he also warned that some players are not what they seem, both good and bad. Money allows them to hide things that the normal citizen would get busted for, while others get an undeserved label early on and it defines them.

Some players he would go into length about. But,when I mentioned Marvin Harrison not being a showboat on the field like some of the diva's. He just said, "you don't know the half of it, Harrison is no Jerry Rice and no saint"

I also got a chance to talk to him about Aaron Hernandez a last week. He wasn't surprised by AH's actions because he had heard things from other players. But he was caught off guard that someone connected to him (as an NFL player) would do something as horrible as this. It was like the neighbors of the serial killer that get interviewed after the police dig up 8 dead bodies from guys back yard. You know it happens, just not in our neighborhood.

Pretty much every man who as an interest in sports does, yes. We may not go outside and pretend to be our favorite star hitting the game winning shot like a child might. But we still look to sports the same we did as kids. We still want star athletes filling heroic roles.

Don't believe me? Go read any thread about Tim Tebow. Go to Texas and listen to sports radio talk about Vince Young. Go to Georgia and ask some older adults about Herschel Walker. Go to any memorabilia show and see the ridiculous amounts people will pay for an autograph. Sit down in a bar in Philly and say how Dr. J wasn't very good and tell me if you don't hear adoration before you get knifed.

Most people on this board would give up their career to be able to have a meaningful professional sports career.
These are very different ideas. We may want star athletes to be worthy recipients of our "hero worship" but increasingly I think we accept that they are not. We may covet their abilities and want to be able to do what they do but I'm not sure that's the same as "idolizing" them.

These are very different ideas. We may want star athletes to be worthy recipients of our "hero worship" but increasingly I think we accept that they are not. We may covet their abilities and want to be able to do what they do but I'm not sure that's the same as "idolizing" them.
I definitely see truth in BOTH sides of this so I am inclined to say "it exists and probably at a normal level that is on par with most other things in society, in general."

I see the full grown 40-somethings that absolutely worship players, have the jerseys, spend more time wrapped up in what is going on in Player X's world than they do in what is going on under their own roof.

I also see the young adults that passionately follow their teams, but don't wrap themselves up in it (or it tends to wane as they get older and take on more responsibility in their own lives).

Users who are viewing this thread