What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Network strikes again (1 Viewer)

Frenchy Fuqua

Footballguy
NFL Network will re-air four games per week

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- NFL games will be replayed in a 90-minute format on NFL Network during the upcoming season.

In the past, the league didn't allow full rebroadcasts. But beginning Tuesday, Sept. 12, "NFL Game Re-Airs'' will feature four of the best matchups from the previous weekend. Eliminated will be halftime and, according to a league announcement, "other elements not critical to the outcome.''

But additional features, such as sideline and on-field sound captured during the game and postgame news conference sound bites will be interspersed within the broadcast. There also will be camera shots and angles from NFL Films that differ from those on the original telecast.

"Fans have been asking us for years about encore presentations of our games,'' said Charles Coplin, NFL Network's vice president of programming. "For NFL Network, these rights are as significant as securing the new Thursday-Saturday prime-time game package.''

Two games will be shown each Tuesday and Wednesday night. Games shot in high definition will re-air in HD. Which games will be re-aired will be announced Mondays.

It will be the first time in league history that games from the NFL regular-season or playoffs will be shown outside their live window. The network expects to show 75 replays altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what happens when you put VERY smart people in charge of a fantastic product.

If I'm ESPN or the other broadcast networks, I'm so far past :unsure: mode on this it is scary.

J

It will be the first time in league history that games from the NFL regular-season or playoffs will be shown outside their live window.
I don't understand this from the article. They show "Game of the Week (replay)" now. I've also seen in the past these abbreviated games. Pretty cool if you missed the game completely although I still prefer the long version.

It will be the first time in league history that games from the NFL regular-season or playoffs will be shown outside their live window.
I don't understand this from the article. They show "Game of the Week (replay)" now. I've also seen in the past these abbreviated games. Pretty cool if you missed the game completely although I still prefer the long version.
my thoughts exactly. they were already doing this. now, they are just doing more of it. which is cool, but hardly "the first time in league history".

Good news here.

It just proves why the NFL is the best league hands down of any pro sport.

The gap continues to widen.

Now if we can just get Team centric broadcasts. When My team is on offense I want to have the camera behind the Q.B. and following the Q.B. or ball carrier. When my team is on defense I want an angle from behind the D and flowing towards the play.

It'll be nice to have. Though this is really just a mod on what Sunday Ticket was doing last year with the 30-minute broadcasts. I bet NFL Network wanted to change it up just enough that DTV doesn't complain they forked over all that money for exclusive broadcast rights for that kind of stuff only to have NFL Network airing the same thing.

I recall seeing these things about 15 years ago on ESPN. It was like the game of the week and I loved them!

I hate Cablevision so much.
Can you get direcTV RC?J
Unfortunately I can't because I have nowhere to put the dish (apartment building and I don't have a balcony). I am hoping Verizon's new cable service becomes available in my area sometime before the start of the season. Otherwise, I am stuck with overpaying for Cablevision.

GB the NFL Network snubbing ESPN more and more in the future. ESPN has become to inflated and waterdowned for me to even watch anymore.

Surprised MLB has started their own channel ...

GB the NFL Network snubbing ESPN more and more in the future. ESPN has become to inflated and waterdowned for me to even watch anymore.

Surprised MLB has started their own channel ...
They would be well served, but the MLB and the NFL are polar opposites. The NFL Channel's foundation is based on 32 owners working together, sharing all revenue, sharing a business plan and and working together.This trust just doesn't exist in the MLB world.

BRILLIANT!

With this move, the NFL Network just passed Sunday Ticket as the Alpha Channel on the remote.
Sunday Ticket Superfan already has highlights on superspeed (about 30 minutes) for each game each week.Seems like they were the first.

And anyone with NFL Ticket without Superfan is missing out bigtime. I'm watching 8-9 games at once.

And anyone with NFL Ticket without Superfan is missing out bigtime. I'm watching 8-9 games at once.
I'll be honest, when I watch one of these 30 minute replays, I have a hard enough time keeping up with the speed of the programming. How you are watching 8 or 9 of these superspeed games is beyond me.

I'll be honest, when I watch one of these 30 minute replays, I have a hard enough time keeping up with the speed of the programming. How you are watching 8 or 9 of these superspeed games is beyond me.
I meant 8-9 games live.Plus the laptop is on too.

Craziness ensues. Family knows better than to bother me between 1 and 4:30 Sundays.

The pressure on every cable system in the country to carry NFL Network is going to be insane by the time they start airing games on Thanksgiving night.

Those companies' refusal to air NFL Network is such good news for DirecTV. Speaking of which -- has anyone who got DirecTV ever gone back to cable?

The pressure on every cable system in the country to carry NFL Network is going to be insane by the time they start airing games on Thanksgiving night.

Those companies' refusal to air NFL Network is such good news for DirecTV. Speaking of which -- has anyone who got DirecTV ever gone back to cable?
Yes, but I have both. :bag: Cable = HDTV and Cable modems.

And anyone with NFL Ticket without Superfan is missing out bigtime.  I'm watching 8-9 games at once.
Agree. Those condensed games would be much more enjoyable if they were 1 hour (or at least 45 minutes). There are times when its impossible to tell which RB or WR had the ball or was thrown to on a certain play.

Can you get direcTV RC?J
Unfortunately I can't because I have nowhere to put the dish (apartment building and I don't have a balcony). I am hoping Verizon's new cable service becomes available in my area sometime before the start of the season. Otherwise, I am stuck with overpaying for Cablevision.
I've seen ppl who have apartments and balconys have their dish on the ground. Well a pole is holding a dish off the ground..

BRILLIANT!

With this move, the NFL Network just passed Sunday Ticket as the Alpha Channel on the remote.
Sunday Ticket Superfan already has highlights on superspeed (about 30 minutes) for each game each week.Seems like they were the first.

what is the SuperFan thing exactly? I know Sunday Ticket had some extra option last year, but I didn't want to pay for it.However, as early as 2 years ago, NFL Network would replay the "game of the week" on Wednesday nights during the season and often replayed several playoff games in the later rounds. That certainly beat out anything Sunday Ticket did, so I still don't understand why this article is making these claims that this is the first time ever. Maybe I'm just not catching an important distinction between these new versions and the game of the weeks.

Can you get direcTV RC?J
I've seen ppl who have apartments and balconys have their dish on the ground. Well a pole is holding a dish off the ground..
I live in an apartment building and have my dish on the roof. Other units have their dish installed right on the on the side of the building. As long as you have a view of the southern sky, you should be able to get DirecTv.

Can you get direcTV RC?J
I live in an apartment building and have my dish on the roof. Other units have their dish installed right on the on the side of the building. As long as you have a view of the southern sky, you should be able to get DirecTv.
I talked to the management company a while ago and the idea was shot down. It's funny because the apartments in the front of the building have balconies and almost every single one of them has a dish (because Cablevision sucks). The apartments in the back of the building don't have balconies and we are all stuck with Cablevision. Nobody has a dish on my side of the building. My apartment is great in every way except for this. I should have spent the extra $30k-$50k and bought one of the apartments in the front...

I talked to the management company a while ago and the idea was shot down. It's funny because the apartments in the front of the building have balconies and almost every single one of them has a dish (because Cablevision sucks). The apartments in the back of the building don't have balconies and we are all stuck with Cablevision. Nobody has a dish on my side of the building. My apartment is great in every way except for this. I should have spent the extra $30k-$50k and bought one of the apartments in the front...
that sucks.

BRILLIANT!

what is the SuperFan thing exactly? I know Sunday Ticket had some extra option last year, but I didn't want to pay for it.However, as early as 2 years ago, NFL Network would replay the "game of the week" on Wednesday nights during the season and often replayed several playoff games in the later rounds. That certainly beat out anything Sunday Ticket did, so I still don't understand why this article is making these claims that this is the first time ever. Maybe I'm just not catching an important distinction between these new versions and the game of the weeks.
Superfan is the best thing out there, IMHO.I think it was $89 or something, but it was worth it. You get a few things:

Red Zone Channel - it jumps from game to game with scoring opportunties (games with the ball in the red zone).

Highlights of the games each week - 30 min version of each game.

But by far the best are the channels that have the 8 games on at once. They have two rows of 4 "mini TVs" that give you a command central type view. They give you the score, time left, channel of the game, and the color bar indicates if a score just happened or if you are in the red zone.

With the latest receiver (which DirecTV sent me for trying Superfan in Year 1), you can move the audio from game to game. On the old receivers you only get the audio on the top left game (box 1), but on the new ones you can move the audio feed to any of the 8 games. So I watch 8 games on one side of my TV and either one of the 8 on the other half of the screen (split screen) or the bigger version of the game with the audio. Great way to watch :thumbup:

People saying 'They already do Game of the Week' have it wrong. This is completely different. The GOTW is an NFL films production comeplete with voiceover and slowmo shots, all cut into an hour. The relpays will be like what the channel was doing its first few months with all the 'huddle' time cut out, but still the actual games being shown. It's brilliant. I still have the GB-ATL Week One overtime game they 'Replayed' on tape. It goes by like a breeze as they cut from the tackle right to the next play, with the QB at the line. Football heaven.

People saying 'They already do Game of the Week' have it wrong. This is completely different. The GOTW is an NFL films production comeplete with voiceover and slowmo shots, all cut into an hour. The relpays will be like what the channel was doing its first few months with all the 'huddle' time cut out, but still the actual games being shown. It's brilliant. I still have the GB-ATL Week One overtime game they 'Replayed' on tape. It goes by like a breeze as they cut from the tackle right to the next play, with the QB at the line. Football heaven.
this statement still seems incorrect to me:
I remember that replay when they cut out the huddle time as well and thought that was awesome. But, since they did that before, how is this going to be "the first time in league history"?

Superfan is the best thing out there, IMHO.I think it was $89 or something, but it was worth it. You get a few things:Red Zone Channel - it jumps from game to game with scoring opportunties (games with the ball in the red zone).Highlights of the games each week - 30 min version of each game.But by far the best are the channels that have the 8 games on at once. They have two rows of 4 "mini TVs" that give you a command central type view. They give you the score, time left, channel of the game, and the color bar indicates if a score just happened or if you are in the red zone.
I don't think my TV is big enough to make that 8-game channel worthwhile and my receiver is 6 years old. Not sure if the Red Zone channel and 30-minute highlights are worth $89 or not, but I suppose I'll have to consider it. Definitely sounds like a buy if I ever upgrade my TV.

Superfan is the best thing out there, IMHO.

I think it was $89 or something, but it was worth it. You get a few things:

Red Zone Channel - it jumps from game to game with scoring opportunties (games with the ball in the red zone).

But by far the best are the channels that have the 8 games on at once. They have two rows of 4 "mini TVs" that give you a command central type view. They give you the score, time left, channel of the game, and the color bar indicates if a score just happened or if you are in the red zone.
I don't think my TV is big enough to make that 8-game channel worthwhile and my receiver is 6 years old. Not sure if the Red Zone channel and 30-minute highlights are worth $89 or not, but I suppose I'll have to consider it. Definitely sounds like a buy if I ever upgrade my TV.
65-inches of NFL bliss :) .Shoot the lock off the wallet, Ruds ;) .

Shoot the lock off the wallet, Ruds ;) .
has nothing to do with not being willing to spend the money. I've been planning on buying a place for awhile and don't want to have to move the ginormous tv when I finally do. Having a huge tv in a rental apartment seems pretty stupid to me...especially when you live on the 3rd floor.

Superfan is the best thing out there, IMHO.

I think it was $89 or something, but it was worth it.  You get a few things:

But by far the best are the channels that have the 8 games on at once.  They have two rows of 4 "mini TVs" that give you a command central type view.  They give you the score, time left, channel of the game, and the color bar indicates if a score just happened or if you are in the red zone.
its not a highlight..........it shows every single play of the game, and replays the important ones....its heaven..........this way i saw every single play of every single game played this yearand its more like 20-23mins

has nothing to do with not being willing to spend the money. I've been planning on buying a place for awhile and don't want to have to move the ginormous tv when I finally do. Having a huge tv in a rental apartment seems pretty stupid to me...especially when you live on the 3rd floor.
Probably a projector would do the trick :) .

People saying 'They already do Game of the Week' have it wrong. This is completely different. The GOTW is an NFL films production comeplete with voiceover and slowmo shots, all cut into an hour. The relpays will be like what the channel was doing its first few months with all the 'huddle' time cut out, but still  the actual games being shown. It's brilliant. I still have the GB-ATL Week One overtime game they 'Replayed' on tape. It goes by like a breeze as they cut from the tackle right to the next play, with the QB at the line. Football heaven.
this statement still seems incorrect to me:
I remember that replay when they cut out the huddle time as well and thought that was awesome. But, since they did that before, how is this going to be "the first time in league history"?
I think they're hoping you and I won't remember...but we do.

When Rich Eisen was hired as the 'face man' for the NFL Network, my stomach turned.

Truth be told, he's done an admirable job holding down the fort.

He's not trying to be 'the entertainer' as most ESPN anchorpeople attempt to do. He's merely the calming influence that holds down that 'top job'.

Aaron...A huge TV is never ever stupid. Never. ;)

J

Aaron...A huge TV is never ever stupid. Never. ;)

J
:goodposting: Practicality may be a projector, but Joe is right :yes: .

This is all fine and dandy.... until they start charging for the NFL Network.
anybody not pay for the NFL Network already?granted--not a big ticket item as yet ($4.95/mo maybe, for the package that includes it)...I expect that to increase as the number of games the network broadcasts

hopefully these games will be available free in the markets for the teams playing---I don't mind the extra buck-a-week for the right to watch the channel, but all games should be free in the markets of the teams playing, regardless of who is broadcasting it

"hello, my name is SoloMatisse", and I am an NFLaholic". For God's sake just inject the stuff straight into my vines already why dont you? I love this stuff.

Is this the next step for NFL Films to finally start selling full, un-cut games on DVD (I know Patriots fans have something like this with the "3 Games to Glory" series)?

After all, the other major leagues have started doing this with a lot of success. I can't wait for the 1997-1998 Denver Broncos full set with the 2 Super Bowl highlight videos and full tapes of each playoff game. Seems like a no-brainer.

NHL (1994 Rangers)

MLB (1986 Mets)

NBA (1991-1998 Bulls)

I know that we have the "Super Bowl series" for teams that have 3+ titles (except the Patriots), but right now those are pretty weak (the one for the Steelers).

ESPN is definitely losing it's long term strangle hold it once had on sports. Cannot say they do not deserve if they are going to keep the likes of Stuart Scott and Michael Irvin around and continue to roll with the fact-or-fiction screaming match format they seemed to have embraced.

Edited - Should have added Stephen A. Smith. Since I don't watch that much NBA, I am not troubled by his presence as much as I would think I am.

This is what happens when you put VERY smart people in charge of a fantastic product.

If I'm ESPN or the other broadcast networks, I'm so far past :unsure: mode on this it is scary.

J
I have to agree with you. ESPN has gotten better lately, but only as a result of the NFL Network pressure. However, I feel like it is too late for them. ESPN sat around and got lazy because they didn't have anyone to worry about. Now they should be more than worried. The NFL Network knows what people want and they have a simple theory ... DO ONE THING AND DO IT BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!!!!! All Hail the NFL Network!

wtf, they're not genuises. they're serving their target market - hardcore fans willing to pay for the nfl network. vs espn - sports fans

different market, different show.

you guys are all hardcore, so of course the nfl network will be what you want. espn is for entertainment, hence michael irvin, pti, and mike and mike

wtf, they're not genuises. they're serving their target market - hardcore fans willing to pay for the nfl network. vs espn - sports fans

different market, different show.

you guys are all hardcore, so of course the nfl network will be what you want. espn is for entertainment, hence michael irvin, pti, and mike and mike
You might have a point here. But you will also have to explain the sudden surge in draft coverage being rolled out by ESPN. These actions indicate to me that ESPN is not catering to a different market (ala entertainment) and actually still want to be considered the #1 television resource for NFL news.

Users who are viewing this thread