What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL players that can do no wrong (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
IMO, there are several NFL players that continuously get praised heaped upon them no matter what. Some of them are:

Brett Favre - The Sporting News recently listed him as the number 1 player in the NFL. Excuse me, is this still 1996? I think not. Favre isn't even the best quarterback anymore. His consecutive starts streak is impressive, but other than that, he is merely a very good QB nowadays. I laugh when I hear people call him a great competitor. Last time I checked, most top-notch QB's are great competitors. You don't get to be one of the better QB's in the NFL without being a great competitor. Favre makes more and more mistakes as the years go on and his defenders always have an excuse. Look at his last 2 playoff games alone. He was pathetic in the game against the Rams 2 seasons ago and wasn't much better last season in the loss to the Falcons. Favre is still a very good QB, but no way he is the best QB anymore and he certainly isn't the best player in the NFL.

Peyton Manning - Has there ever been a more hyped player who has never won anything? He couldn't win the big one in college and he can't win the big games in the NFL either. In 3 playoff appearances, he has gotten his offense a whopping total of 33 points, which is an average of 11 points a game. That is lame. Many like to point out that the Colts have had bad defenses, but in his first 2 playoff losses, the Colts defense only have up 42 points, 19 to Tennessee and 23 to Miami(counting overtime). That is not too bad. Unfortunately for the Colts, Manning was MIA. In 3 playoff games, he has gotten the Colts into the endzone twice and only thrown 1 touchdown pass. He simply hasn't gotten it done when it counts. He is very good during the regular season, but I thought the playoffs were when the best players shined the brightest. Manning gets praised a lot because he supposedly has everything you want in a QB, but he seems to lack the intangibles that make a QB truly great. For him to be ranked 10th on TSN's top 100 players and Rich Gannon 31st was a total disgrace.

Charles Woodson - He gets beat all of the time. He gets hurt seemingly every year. Tell me again why he is so highly regarded?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the title and would have bet one year's salary on Manning being in message. Did you see all three of those playoff games and do you remember them in any detail or are you going just on what the "game book" says? Let's look at each game:Vs the Titans. The game book will tell you that Manning did not have a good day. What it won't tell you is about the day Harrison had. Yeah it will show you very few catches, but it won't show you is his 2 dropped balls (both would have extended drives) and the one time he ran the wrong route and Manning threw a pick. It also won't show you the other 4 (that's right 6 total) dropped passes Manning had that day. The only receiver who had his head in that game was EG Green and he ended up breaking his leg in the 3rd Qtr. So did Manning have a bad day? Yeah, but his bad day was certainly also partly to blame on the WR's.Vs the Phins. Early in that game Pathon dropped a slant in the end-zone - settle for a FG. Colts still play well in the 1st half and build up a lead (although it should have been bigger). Phins come back in the 2nd half and Colts get WAY conservative. Still they are in OT on the road in the playoffs. Indy gets the ball first and they take the ball to somewhere around the Phins 38. Gets to be 3rd and long and the Colts get a pass down to about the 30 but there was a 5 yard penalty on the Phins. So do you take the play and have it be 4th and 2 from the 30 (47 yard FG) or replay 3rd from the 33 (even if you throw and incomplete pass it's only another 3 yards)? Mora declines it and tries to kick the FG. Vandy misses it Dolphins take over and win the game (btw I believe Lamar Smith ran for over 200 yards that day). So is this one Mannings' fault too? He didn't have a bad game.Vs the Jets. This is the one game of the three where even Manning would say he had a crappy game. I'll grant you that one. It still takes more than one person to lose a game 41 to nothing. And another side note from this game: After the Jets went up 7-0, the Colts drove down into FG range and Vandy missed another FG. Certainly not saying this cost them the game, but who knows what getting an early answer would have done for their confidence (as well as not give the Jets a short field).So has Manning failed to win the big one? Absolutely. As have the other 52 guys on each of those teams. The first 2 games he had a lot of balls dropped. Is he supposed to throw them and catch them?I know I sound like a cheerleader for him and maybe that's fair, I just get sick of everyone pinning the blame for losing squarely on his shoulders. Especially in the first 2 games. Those were not his fault.

I saw the title and would have bet one year's salary on Manning being in message. Did you see all three of those playoff games and do you remember them in any detail or are you going just on what the "game book" says? Let's look at each game:Vs the Titans. The game book will tell you that Manning did not have a good day. What it won't tell you is about the day Harrison had. Yeah it will show you very few catches, but it won't show you is his 2 dropped balls (both would have extended drives) and the one time he ran the wrong route and Manning threw a pick. It also won't show you the other 4 (that's right 6 total) dropped passes Manning had that day. The only receiver who had his head in that game was EG Green and he ended up breaking his leg in the 3rd Qtr. So did Manning have a bad day? Yeah, but his bad day was certainly also partly to blame on the WR's.Vs the Phins. Early in that game Pathon dropped a slant in the end-zone - settle for a FG. Colts still play well in the 1st half and build up a lead (although it should have been bigger). Phins come back in the 2nd half and Colts get WAY conservative. Still they are in OT on the road in the playoffs. Indy gets the ball first and they take the ball to somewhere around the Phins 38. Gets to be 3rd and long and the Colts get a pass down to about the 30 but there was a 5 yard penalty on the Phins. So do you take the play and have it be 4th and 2 from the 30 (47 yard FG) or replay 3rd from the 33 (even if you throw and incomplete pass it's only another 3 yards)? Mora declines it and tries to kick the FG. Vandy misses it Dolphins take over and win the game (btw I believe Lamar Smith ran for over 200 yards that day). So is this one Mannings' fault too? He didn't have a bad game.Vs the Jets. This is the one game of the three where even Manning would say he had a crappy game. I'll grant you that one. It still takes more than one person to lose a game 41 to nothing. And another side note from this game: After the Jets went up 7-0, the Colts drove down into FG range and Vandy missed another FG. Certainly not saying this cost them the game, but who knows what getting an early answer would have done for their confidence (as well as not give the Jets a short field).So has Manning failed to win the big one? Absolutely. As have the other 52 guys on each of those teams. The first 2 games he had a lot of balls dropped. Is he supposed to throw them and catch them?I know I sound like a cheerleader for him and maybe that's fair, I just get sick of everyone pinning the blame for losing squarely on his shoulders. Especially in the first 2 games. Those were not his fault.
LOL at this post coming from Colt Apologist! Could've guessed that one.

I should have known that a Colts fan would respond and give me detailed descriptions of why Manning The Great was not to blame. I watched all 3 of those games. The Colts moved the ball in that game against the Titans, but had to keep settling for field goals. Perhaps Manning should have gotten them in the endzone. Even though the Titans made the Super Bowl that year, their defense wasn't as good as their press clippings would have had us believe. They were like 18th or 19th in the league in total defense that year. As for dropped passes, every QB has passes dropped here and there. That is not a valid excuse.I remember that dropped pass by Pathon in the endzone that would have been a touchdown. That would have made the score 10-0 instead of 6-0. But keep in mind that Indy might not have scored a TD later since Miami's defense might have been a little more desperate down by 10 instead of 6. That would have changed the whole game.Last year was a disgrace. Shutout in a playoff game by a defense that was average at best.

I went to the University of Florida and I loved how at the beginning of every year all the SEC would talk about how great Manning was and how this year UT would finally take down UF....Manning lost to Florida ALL FOUR YEARS OF COLLEGE. He is definitely missing something intangible.....

You forgot to mention that the 4 years Manning was in Tennesee that he never beat the Gators in any of his games. I think 3 of those games decided the conference winner. So obviously its not Mannings fault that he is 0 for 7 in any championship/Big game that he plays in.As for a player that can do no wrong and that I'm tired of hearing about is Bruce Smith. He's only playing to break the sack record which I think will take him 4+ more years to break then it R.White to get it.Joe Namoth. Sheesh he hasn't played in about 30 years and he's still hanging around the Jet games. Did you know he is the only quaterback to win the SB MVP that didn't throw a TD pass in the game. :rolleyes: Should we put R.Lewis in this list as he is featured in all the video game commercials, during the season, during the NFL draft.... This guy was up on a murder charge, and only got off because he was an NFL player. Disney wanted nothing to do with him after they won the superbowl and had Dilfer so their Disney commercial instead of him. But yet the NFL still hypes him - AMAZING!!!!

I should have known that a Colts fan would respond and give me detailed descriptions of why Manning The Great was not to blame. I watched all 3 of those games. The Colts moved the ball in that game against the Titans, but had to keep settling for field goals. Perhaps Manning should have gotten them in the endzone. Even though the Titans made the Super Bowl that year, their defense wasn't as good as their press clippings would have had us believe. They were like 18th or 19th in the league in total defense that year. As for dropped passes, every QB has passes dropped here and there. That is not a valid excuse.I remember that dropped pass by Pathon in the endzone that would have been a touchdown. That would have made the score 10-0 instead of 6-0. But keep in mind that Indy might not have scored a TD later since Miami's defense might have been a little more desperate down by 10 instead of 6. That would have changed the whole game.Last year was a disgrace. Shutout in a playoff game by a defense that was average at best.
I had Manning of a few fantasy teams over the years, and although I have no statistics to back it, he always seemed to fade after around Thanksgiving, and particularly in division games as they were jockeying for playoff position. It just seemed like he could never put together a decent game the second time around within the division. Same type of story in the playoffs.I always just assumed that it was because he choked under pressure.

I agree 100% on Charles Woodson. Every game I watch him he gets burnt and the excuse is alway his injuries.

Charles Woodson - He gets beat all of the time. He gets hurt seemingly every year. Tell me again why he is so highly regarded?
Not to change the focus of bashing Manning, but, although Woodson has had some injury concerns, on what basis does "He gets beat all of the time." come from? :confused:

What - you didn't think a Colt fan would respond? Give me a break. I'm just surprized no Packer fan has.And just because I'm a Colt fan, does not make my point any less credible. The fact is they did not move the ball in the Titan game. And to say that every QB has to put up with dropped balls isn't quite fair either. The fact is that the Colts dropped 6 balls in that game. Both of Harrison's would have moved the chains. "Passes dropped here and there" as you stated isn't even close to what actually happened.The Titans were not the 18th-19th rated D that year. I'll let you look it up, but your memory seems to be fading (try the 12th). As for the Colts moving the ball effectively, again I think your memory is a bit off. They kicked their 3rd FG as time expired to end the 1st half and didn't score again until under the 2 min warning. So they didn't move the ball effectively and the 1st down coversions certainly would have helped.As for the Miami game... Are you kidding me? You give me crap about defending "Manning the Great" (your proclamation not mine) and the best you can come up with is that well if Pathon would have caught the TD then MAYBE Miami would have played it differently? That's pretty weak. The only thing accurate about that part of your post is that it would have changed the whole game. To go on the road in a hostile environment and put up a TD to go up 10-0 would have been huge. Instead, they have to settle for a FG (which is a boost the the 'phins emotions).Look, obviously we'll just disagree on this one. I don't think Manning is infallable (just look at last weeks CLE game). I just thing he takes WAAAAAAAY too much of the blame for those playoff losses. Any of a number of players/plays go differently for the Colts and we're not having this discussion right now.

Should we put R.Lewis in this list as he is featured in all the video game commercials, during the season, during the NFL draft.... This guy was up on a murder charge, and only got off because he was an NFL player. Disney wanted nothing to do with him after they won the superbowl and had Dilfer so their Disney commercial instead of him. But yet the NFL still hypes him - AMAZING!!!!
Dude, you're out of line. It was so completely obvious that Ray Lewis didn't committ murder. For you to call someone a 'murderer' is a pretty serious allegation. Why exactly does he belong on this list? The man was falsely accused of murder, is the best defensive player in the nfl, and a great team leader.

Donovan McNabbPlays awful against real good D's and comes up small when it matters. His WR's, coach, RB and Oline get blamed before he does (which is never). His career numbers rival the Brian Griese's of the world.

Not to change the focus of bashing Manning, but, although Woodson has had some injury concerns, on what basis does "He gets beat all of the time." come from? :confused:
Didnt TO have around 200 yds against him last year? He was beaten a number of times in the TEN game by no-name receivers.

I'll agree with Favre. Announcers always give him a free pass when he just throws the stupidest INTs into triple coverage while being dragged down off his back foot. If another QB did that, it would be considered a terrible play by the QB, but since it's Favre, it's considered OK. I also hate how announcers say "Brett is just like a kid back there having fun!" So everyone else in the NFL hates their "jobs"? Brett's the only one having fun? Maybe he should be more serious and not take all those risks he does.

I went to the University of Florida and I loved how at the beginning of every year all the SEC would talk about how great Manning was and how this year UT would finally take down UF....Manning lost to Florida ALL FOUR YEARS OF COLLEGE. He is definitely missing something intangible.....
A Gator talking about losing big games. :rotflmao: Go CANES!

I have NO idea (well I do) why Peyton is so highly praised. The guy CAN NEVER win a big game!I think the NFL loves him for the following:Clean CutWhiteCome from a football familyCan act about as good as a treeFinally, and what really pisses me off about Manning, why on EVERY play does he audible then gets only a yard and the announcers (as if not watching the play) rap about how 'brilliant' this guy is? Run the plays the coach sends in!This guys folds like a cheap suit when it really counts.

It's fairly obvious that if you are the following, the NFL will LOVE you no matter what:1. White 2. QB3. Kind of an "aw shucks" kind of guy in speech4. Likes to smile a lotFavre, Peyton, Aikman (though he was good he wasn't THAT GREAT more the cast he had), Elway.

Should we put R.Lewis in this list as he is featured in all the video game commercials, during the season, during the NFL draft....  This guy was up on a murder charge, and only got off because he was an NFL player.  Disney wanted nothing to do with him after they won the superbowl and had Dilfer so their Disney commercial instead of him.  But yet the NFL still hypes him - AMAZING!!!!
Dude, you're out of line. It was so completely obvious that Ray Lewis didn't committ murder. For you to call someone a 'murderer' is a pretty serious allegation. Why exactly does he belong on this list? The man was falsely accused of murder, is the best defensive player in the nfl, and a great team leader.
Dude :rolleyes: Where did I call him a murderer :confused: . All I said was he was up on for a murder charge. You even copied the quote. Please pay attention.

I have NO idea (well I do) why Peyton is so highly praised. The guy CAN NEVER win a big game!I think the NFL loves him for the following:Clean CutWhiteCome from a football familyCan act about as good as a treeThis guys folds like a cheap suit when it really counts.
McNabb's black and has a nasty afro. He fits all that too.

I kind of agree with jets, here -- what about the long list of players who are repeat coke sniffers, wife beaters, closet crappers, DUI drivers, weed huffers, and accessories to murders who get a comparative slap on the wrist (comparative to what Everday Joe would get, that is), yet still get to play in the NFL and make millions?I would say those are the guys who can apparently do no wrong.

Should we put R.Lewis in this list as he is featured in all the video game commercials, during the season, during the NFL draft....  This guy was up on a murder charge, and only got off because he was an NFL player.  Disney wanted nothing to do with him after they won the superbowl and had Dilfer so their Disney commercial instead of him.  But yet the NFL still hypes him - AMAZING!!!!
Dude :rolleyes: Where did I call him a murderer :confused: . All I said was he was up on for a murder charge. You even copied the quote. Please pay attention.
You said he only got off the murder charge because he was an NFL player, implying that he was a murderer. When in fact the reason he got off the murder charge is because he didn;t commit murder.

You said he only got off the murder charge because he was an NFL player, implying that he was a murderer. When in fact the reason he got off the murder charge is because he didn;t commit murder.
Pure speculation by both of ya.

Everyone (ESPN & MNF) have been all over McNair's jock lately.Still not sure why.
because he's really under-rated as an NFL QB.Agree that Favre is pretty much untouchable for criticism, but disagree that it doesn't make sense to call him any more of a competitor than other QBs.

Well, that is true - the only thing that's fact is that he was guilty of obstruction to justice.However, legal hocus pocus aside, he was present -- and involved -- in a fight that left someone stabbed to death. But oh no, he never saw the knife. :huh:

Well, that is true - the only thing that's fact is that he was guilty of obstruction to justice.However, legal hocus pocus aside, he was present -- and involved -- in a fight that left someone stabbed to death. But oh no, he never saw the knife.

:huh:
He was not "involved in the fight" at all. He tried his best to stop it. Then when immediately questioned by cops, he chose to say he didn't know anything rather than turn his friends in- something that I think many of us would do. The next day, he realize that he was wrong, and he went to the police with the truth. Whats so bad about what he did?link

So far, the state of Georgia’s case against Lewis has been rather flawed. Since the trial began, several witnesses whose testimony would supposedly demonstrate Lewis’ guilt have altered the stories initially given to investigators. Their testimonies were supposed to show that Ray Lewis hit, kicked or stabbed someone, and that he even admitted as much afterwards. Instead, the vast majority of testimony has either been inconclusive, or else supports the defense’s contention that Lewis acted solely as a peacemaker, trying in vain to prevent a tragedy that he would be tied to. It is crucial that jurors believe this if Lewis is to be acquitted, for even though no one has placed a knife in his hand or claims to have seen him stab anyone, he can still be convicted of murder if it is proven that he participated in the brawl that led to two deaths.

The lone person sticking to his assertion that Lewis acted violently has been Chester Anderson, not exactly an ideal witness. Anderson is an admitted con artist in jail on identification fraud charges. This has given the defense the opportunity to attack Anderson’s credibility, suggesting that he is falsely testifying in hopes of winning leniency in his own legal problems.

Users who are viewing this thread