What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL says "I'm Sorry" (1 Viewer)

GoRaiders

Footballguy
Just heard on the local radio the NFL apoligized to the Raiders for 3 blown calls in last weeks game. 1. The PI on Moss' TD catch should not have been called as both players were pushing off each other. (4 pt diff)2. The hold on the LJ TD run should not have been called as he was already through the hole, and it was out of the play at that point. (7 pt diff)3. The defensive PI on the Raid allowing KC to get into FG range should not have been called as the ball was uncatchable. (3 pt diff)I am still shocked the NFL actually came out and admitted they were wrong.

I am still shocked the NFL actually came out and admitted they were wrong.
2 years ago the NFL came out and apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers 3 weeks in a row for blowing games on their way to a Pittsburgh 6 - 10 season, so it's not unprecedented.

2 years ago the NFL came out and apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers 3 weeks in a row for blowing games on their way to a Pittsburgh 6 - 10 season, so it's not unprecedented.
Let me rephrase, I am shocked the NFL actually came out and admitted they were wrong when the calls involved the Raiders.

Did they mention the no-call on Moss's other TD, and the block in the back on Dante Hall's return that had as little effect on the play as the hold on Jordan's TD did? 14 points the other way.

2. The hold on the LJ TD run should not have been called as he was already through the hole, and it was out of the play at that point. (7 pt diff)
Why would they apologise for that and label it a blown call? It wasn't. The O'Lineman held the defender. It's a hold. The Refs see it, they call it. Whether or not the hold happened after Jordan was through the hole away from the hold itself is irrelevant. Happens that way in every game I've seen. Why is this particular game, with this particular hold any different? :confused:

Did they mention the no-call on Moss's other TD, and the block in the back on Dante Hall's return that had as little effect on the play as the hold on Jordan's TD did? 14 points the other way.
Are you sure you watched the game? The block in the back was on a player that was feet from tackling Hall, and that was not even close to being PI on Moss, and if it was, I am sure the league would have said something in their apology.How is it that when Moss was in the Purple he never got called for PI, and now that he is in the Silver & Black, he gets 2 in his first 2 games, both in the zone?

Did they mention the no-call on Moss's other TD, and the block in the back on Dante Hall's return that had as little effect on the play as the hold on Jordan's TD did?  14 points the other way.
Are you sure you watched the game? The block in the back was on a player that was feet from tackling Hall, and that was not even close to being PI on Moss, and if it was, I am sure the league would have said something in their apology.How is it that when Moss was in the Purple he never got called for PI, and now that he is in the Silver & Black, he gets 2 in his first 2 games, both in the zone?
Moss got called for PI all the time in Purple -- seemed like more than any other player...

The Steelers can now thank the NFL for giving them the draft slot that allowed them to get Roethlesberger...

I'm Sorry

Brenda Lee

I'm sorry, so sorry

That I was such a fool

I didn't know

Love could be so cruel

Oh, oh, oh, oh

Uh-oh

Oh, yes

You tell me mistakes

Are part of being young

But that don't right

The wrong that's been done

Spoken:

(I'm sorry) I'm sorry

(So sorry) So sorry

Please accept my apology

But love is blind

And I was to blind to see

Oh, oh, oh, oh

Uh-oh

Oh, yes

You tell me mistakes

Are part of being young

But that don't right

The wrong that's been done

Oh, oh, oh, oh

Uh-oh

Oh, yes

I'm sorry, so sorry

Please accept my apology

But love was blind

And I was too blind to see

(Sorry)

Last edited by a moderator:
2.  The hold on the LJ TD run should not have been called as he was already through the hole, and it was out of the play at that point.  (7 pt diff)
Why would they apologise for that and label it a blown call? It wasn't. The O'Lineman held the defender. It's a hold. The Refs see it, they call it. Whether or not the hold happened after Jordan was through the hole away from the hold itself is irrelevant. Happens that way in every game I've seen. Why is this particular game, with this particular hold any different? :confused:
Not true. Holding is called when the hold is at the point of attack, either the hole that the running play is coming through or when pass blocking.

That is fine, but give the Raiders another touchdown and the Chiefs play the 4th quarter a lot differently on offense in the 4th quarter. To assume that the Raiders would have won the game had these calls been made the other way is not entirely accurate.

The Steelers can now thank the NFL for giving them the draft slot that allowed them to get Roethlesberger...
Actually it was the 2000 season this happened. The first one was vs. the Browns when Kent Graham was sacked and the refs didn't stop the clock. With no time outs left, the Steelers couldn't get their field goal team out in time. Time expired.

The second was against the Eagles. The Steelers were up by 10 with less than two minutes to go when the Eagles made their comeback. They scored and kicked an on-side kick which they recovered. The Eagles lined up wrong and the kick should not have counted. They went on to score the game winning touchdown.

I can't remember the third, but I think it was at Tennessee. The Steelers finished 9-7 and missed out of a playoof spot because of those calls.

Just heard on the local radio the NFL apoligized to the Raiders for 3 blown calls in last weeks game.

1. The PI on Moss' TD catch should not have been called as both players were pushing off each other. (4 pt diff)

2. The hold on the LJ TD run should not have been called as he was already through the hole, and it was out of the play at that point. (7 pt diff)

3. The defensive PI on the Raid allowing KC to get into FG range should not have been called as the ball was uncatchable. (3 pt diff)

:lmao: What else could you expect from a Raiders fan ...

Someone is confusing their silver and black dreams with reality ...

2.  The hold on the LJ TD run should not have been called as he was already through the hole, and it was out of the play at that point.  (7 pt diff)
Not true. Holding is called when the hold is at the point of attack, either the hole that the running play is coming through or when pass blocking.
No offense GoRaiders, but that's a bunch of :bs: . Holding is called when there's holding and the Ref sees it. The Refs don't pick and choose which holds they're gonna call and which ones they're not. :lmao:

I am a diehard Raider fan.Was the PA against Moss on the touchdown a bad call? Absolutely.Do good teams find ways to win games regardless of the officiating? Absolutely.

That one would have given me the win. :angry:

Hmmmm..... So the NFL is saying that it's alright to hold as long as you're away from the play? Doubtful.

I love how Raider fans think the NFL gives a rip about their team. Your team is 1 in 32. Despite their (possible) dislike for Al Davis, the NFL has better things to do then deliberately screw a team that's not likely to be better than 8-8 under favorable circumstances.Colin

I got my letter today from the NFL apologizing for the blown calls against Moss and LJ that cost me a victory in my league. Did anyone else get a letter from the league? :cry:

I am a diehard Raider fan.

Was the PA against Moss on the touchdown a bad call? Absolutely.

Do good teams find ways to win games regardless of the officiating? Absolutely.
Wow, nice post.

It was a chicken s**t call just like the interference call on Moss. Score you just have a h**d on because Jordan was involved. If it is true that they apologized apparently it shouldn't have been called. Who are you to second guess why they apologized are you some kind of league official.

Hmmmm..... So the NFL is saying that it's alright to hold as long as you're away from the play? Doubtful.
Actually it is written that way in the NFL rulebook :yes:

I am a diehard Raider fan.

Was the PA against Moss on the touchdown a bad call?  Absolutely.

Do good teams find ways to win games regardless of the officiating?  Absolutely.
Do Norv's teams find ways to win games regardless of the officiating? :no:

I love how Raider fans think the NFL gives a rip about their team.
And I love how Raider Haters paint broad sweeping generalizations about the entire fanbase based on a single poster's comments.Good post, Garrett. Regardless of the terrible calls, Collins and the offense should have found a way to win the game inside the red zone with 2 minutes left in the game.

I love how Raider fans think the NFL gives a rip about their team.
And I love how Raider Haters paint broad sweeping generalizations about the entire fanbase based on a single poster's comments.Good post, Garrett. Regardless of the terrible calls, Collins and the offense should have found a way to win the game inside the red zone with 2 minutes left in the game.
You mean throw the ball to Randy Moss?

Geez! What's wrong with you guys tonight? Can not believe we made it this far without a :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm shocked they did this. The way they fine coaches for even thinking bad thoughts about the refs I'm really suprised.

Actually it was the 2000 season this happened.

The first one was vs. the Browns when Kent Graham was sacked and the refs didn't stop the clock. With no time outs left, the Steelers couldn't get their field goal team out in time. Time expired.

The second was against the Eagles. The Steelers were up by 10 with less than two minutes to go when the Eagles made their comeback. They scored and kicked an on-side kick which they recovered. The Eagles lined up wrong and the kick should not have counted. They went on to score the game winning touchdown.

I can't remember the third, but I think it was at Tennessee. The Steelers finished 9-7 and missed out of a playoof spot because of those calls.
Wow, great memory.... 2000?... it really seems like yesterday.

Can we please stop referring to Lamont Jordan as "LJ" when discussing the Chiefs / Raiders game?TIA

Two seasons ago the refs screwed up big time (one of many vs the 'Hawks that year) and essentially gave the Ravens an extra timeout that allowed them to have enough time to get into FG range and tie it up (and eventually win) against the Seahawks. They not only admitted there was an "administrative" error, they fined the ref half his game check for the error. This was the first season of the NFL Network (was it last year then?) and they had a segment where the head of the refs explained questiuonable calls. Sadly they got rid of that segment, I thought it was good that they cleared the air on some of the calls made. I was tired of seeing them apologize to the 'Hawks though, including in the playoff loss to GB (see, it WAS 2 seasons ago)

Did they mention the no-call on Moss's other TD, and the block in the back on Dante Hall's return that had as little effect on the play as the hold on Jordan's TD did?  14 points the other way.
The refs have hated Moss ever since the water bottle incident. This is just another example of it.Get used to it.

The refs have hated Moss ever since the water bottle incident. This is just another example of it.

Get used to it.
:cry: Moss is such a nice guy and pillar of the community. It's too bad he's unfairly been given a bad reputation by all the haters. After all, he hasn't done anything to deserve the negativity.

Actually it was the 2000 season this happened. The first one was vs. the Browns when Kent Graham was sacked and the refs didn't stop the clock. With no time outs left, the Steelers couldn't get their field goal team out in time. Time expired.

Not sure if it was the same season but the blown coin flip on Thanksgiving day was classic. :thumbdown:

I can't speak for him and I'm not even a Raiders fan, but :yes: I can't remember exactly how its written though, so hopefully someone will pull through with a rulebook link.

I can't speak for him and I'm not even a Raiders fan, but :yes: I can't remember exactly how its written though, so hopefully someone will pull through with a rulebook link.
Rule 3 Section 3Blocking Notes

If there is potential for offensive holding but the action occurs away from the point of attack and has no effect on the play, offensive holding will not be called

Other notes from the NFL Rulebook on when to call holding...If there is potential for offensive holding but the action clearly occurs after the pass has been thrown to a downfield reciever, offensive holding will not be calledIf there is potential for offensive holding and at that time the runner is being tackled be another defensive player behind the line of scrimmage, offensive holding will not be called

No offense GoRaiders, but that's a bunch of :bs: . Holding is called when there's holding and the Ref sees it. The Refs don't pick and choose which holds they're gonna call and which ones they're not. :lmao:
:goodposting: There is no selective holding. I have seen many plays where the hold seems to be away from the point of attack. I can't remember in all my years of watching NFL games where the refs huddled after the flag was thrown (like they do in other cases like where the ball was uncatchable) and then the ref pick the flag back up and say "the holding was not at the point of attack, so there was no penalty." It might be as above noted that it is not even called, but I have never seen the flag picked up, so it is pretty subjective because that hold could have an effect on that player not being able to get back into the play and helping take down Jordan after he got through the hole.

have always been amused by those that think the people in the NFL front offices go to the officiating crew (many different ones throughout the year) before a Raiders game and say..."screw them whever you can".....cracks me up..do officials make bad calls....yesholding could be called on almost every play in the NFL and it is true that it is generally only called at the point of attack.....it is the same in college and in high school....it is just kind of an unwritten rule...."yes" to holding is holding no matter what....but "no" to it should be called every time it is seen.....you won't work for long as an official if you continually call holding calls that don't impact the play at the point of attack....(think about the Not For Long mentality)in this case....I can almost guarantee you that that official actually got reprimanded for throwing his flag and making that holding call on Jordan's run....he should have passed on it even though it was holding.....officials are supposed to know what is going on with the play.....and look at the big picture in situations like that.....he should have kept his gun in his holster on that one...and I am a huge KC fan....and a football official

yes they do....they most certainly do....or you would see a flag on almost every play....if you don't agree with that you don't watch much football...

Users who are viewing this thread