What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NL MVP (1 Viewer)

SoCalBroncoFan

Footballguy
Who is it?

I say Paul Goldschmidt. He leads the NL in HR's, RBI's, SLG., OPS. and is 4th in OBP. On top of that he has 15 SB.

McCutcheon is really the only other player I think you can consider. But how valuable has he been? The Pirates success has largely been because of their pitching.

Cutch. Along with the numbers, he has really come on as of late the past couple months, leading the team to where they are at now, even when the pitching has declined from earlier. Plus he plays gold glove defense.

Link

McCutchen running away with MVP

September 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Andrew McCutchen is turning what once was a close MVP race into a runaway. It's hard to envision the scenario in which McCutchen will not easily win the award. He's doing everything an MVP has to do and particularly doing it down the stretch.

His August batting line: .384/.483/.535 -- 1.018

His Sept. batting line: .412/.516/.666 -- 1.183

He's hitting .366 with a 1.050 OPS since the All-Star Game, both the best in the National League.

Cliff Corcoran of SI.com recently listed Clayton Kershaw and Paul Goldschmidt as McCutchen's closest competitors. If that's the case, it's no-contest.

Not only has Goldschmidt's team, Arizona, collapsed, he has only two home runs -- his calling card -- since Aug. 20. As for Kershaw, he's a lock for the Cy Young, but the Dodgers have a higher winning percentage (70-50, .592) when he doesn't start than they do when he does (17-14. 548).

St.Louis catcher Yadier Molina has a .683 OPS this month, which will drag down his candidacy. Molina is a peerless catcher and given much credit for the pitching success of St. Louis. But the Cardinals staff has declined in the second half -- ERA from 3.39 to 3.60, WHIP from 1.20 to 1.35. Finally, if McCutchen were a chump defensively, Molina's brilliant catching skills would mean more. But McCutchen is a Gold Glove center fielder.

Unless the voters are addled, McCutchen should win the MVP easily.

Yeah this one's a no-brainer for McCutcheon. Hitting numbers are close enough to Goldschmidt that his baserunning, defense and the fact that he plays a premium defensive position easily put him over the top.

In fact I think Molina might have a better argument than Goldschmidt, because I don't think pitch framing shows up in the regular defensive metrics.

Good schtick linking to a hometown newspaper column.

ETA: Maybe after he wins the MVP, people will learn to spell his name correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

ETA: Maybe after he wins the MVP, people will learn to spell his name correctly.
I can't get my brain around the proper spelling. Just doesn't make sense for some reason. Mess it up every time.

With how McCutchen has turned it on the last couple months, I dont see how it isnt him. The numbers are one thing, but clutch hits time and time again.

Considering the 20 year playoff drought, hard to think he doesnt get a few Pirates sympathy votes even from a few MLB old-timers.

McCutcheon is really the only other player I think you can consider. But how valuable has he been? The Pirates success has largely been because of their pitching.
This is sort of a dumb statement, no offense. Yes, the pitching has been quite good, but not near as good in the 2nd half of the season.

The pitching is why the Pirates can legitimately make a postseason run. McCutchen is why theyre a virtual lock for the playoffs, ie MVP.

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/matt_carpenter_mvp_a_look_at_the_top_10_mvp_candidates/14587156

The St. Louis Cardinals decided to conduct a second base experiment for the second times in the last 5 years. The original move was using OF Skip Schumaker (a shortstop in college) at second base. Schumaker did decent at the position, and it got his bat into the everyday line up as the team lead off hitter.

When he defense didn’t progress, and his he didn’t prove to be the perfect option at leading off, the team went with Dan Descalso.

Fast forward to this season and the Cardinals attempted this again, but with corner infielder Matt Carpenter. And Carpenter has thrived this year, with decent defense, setting the table for the offense, and even becoming an unlikely All Star. Carpenter’s been a true star for the Redbirds, and completely over-shadowed. Let’s see if he had a chance in the MVP race.

Carpenter currently ranks second in WAR, according to Fangraphs, behind Andrew McCutchen. The remaining 8 are Carlos Gomez, Paul Goldschmidt, Joey Votto, Yadier Molina, Troy Tulowitzki, Hunter Pence, Shin-Soo Choo, and Ian Desmond.

I took these 10 players and looked at a handful of stats to see where Carpenter ranked.

The top 3 players in home runs are Goldschmidt (34), Pence (25), and Tulowitzki (22).
The top 3 in runs are Carpenter (119), Shoo (105), Votto (97) and Goldschmidt (97).
The top 3 in RBIs are Goldschmidt (118), Pence (93), and McCutchen (81).
The top 3 in stolen bases are Gomez (36), McCutchen (27), and Pence (21).
The top 3 in BB% are Votto (18.00%), Choo (16.00%), and Goldschmidt (14.50%).
The top 3 in K% are Molina (9.50%), Carpenter (13.60%), and McCutchen (15.20%).
The top 3 in ISO are Goldschmidt (0.251), Tulowitzki (0.221), and Pence (0.202).
The top 3 in BABIP are Carpenter (0.366), McCutchen (0.364), and Votto (0.363).
The top 3 in average are McCutchen (0.327), Carpenter (0.324), and Molina (0.319).
The top 3 in OPB are Votto (0.433), Choo (0.426), and McCutchen (0.408).
The top 3 in slugging are Goldschmidt (0.556), Tulowitzki (0.536), McCutchen (0.523).
The top 3 in wOPA are Goldschmidt (0.408), Votto (0.400), and McCutchen (0.399).
The top 3 in wRC+ are McCutchen (160), Goldschmidt (158), and Votto (156).
The top 3 in baserunning are Pence (5.7), Gomez (5.5), and McCutchen (5.1).
The top 3 in offensive runs are McCutchen (47.7), Goldschmidt (44.9), and Votto (44.1).
The top 3 in defensive runs are Gomez (22.7), Molina (17.1), and Tulowitzki (13.8).
The top 3 in WAR are McCutchen(8.0), Carpenter (6.7), Gomez (6.7), and Goldschmidt (6.2).

There are 17 stats and 53 names (2 ties). I weighed the rankings for the top 3 and created scores for each player to determine the the best order for the NL MVP. The highest score possible would be an 8.5. Here are the rankings:

1. Paul Goldschmidt – 3.67 (5 first, 2 second, 3 third)
2. Andrew McCutchen – 3.67 (4 first, 2 second, 6 third)
3. Matt Carpenter – 2.00 (2 first, 3 second, 0 third)
4. Joey Votto – 2.00 (2 first, 1 second, 4 third)
5. Carlos Gomez – 1.67 (2 first, 2 second, 0 third)
6. Hunter Pence – 1.50 (1 first, 2 second, 2 third)
7. Yadier Molina – 1.00 (1 first, 1 second, 1 third)
8. Shin-Soo Choo – 1.00 (0 first, 3 second, 0 third)
9. Troy Tulowitzki – 1.00 (0 first, 2 second, 2 third)
10. Ian Desmond – 0.00 (0 first, 0 second, 0 third)

The ties went to the highest number of votes for each ranking (Goldschmidt was first in 5 stats, while McCutchen was 4th).

I don’t think the final votes goes this way though due to the thinking that MVPs should come from playoff teams. I think McCutchen will be the winner. I also think Carpenter isn’t in the top 3 due to the fact that Molina, Matt Holliday, and Carlos Beltran have helped the Cardinals when a player like McCutchen or Goldschmidt hasn’t had the same support.

When I first started reading that last post, I thought you were trying to make a case for Matt Carpenter as MVP. While he appears to be an invaluable player, Im glad to find out by the end of that post that wasnt the case.

When I first started reading that last post, I thought you were trying to make a case for Matt Carpenter as MVP. While he appears to be an invaluable player, Im glad to find out by the end of that post that wasnt the case.
Right - I'm a big Carpenter fan though - he's suddenly making the case as the Cardinals MVP over Molina - but I like the list of stats from the article and thought it would be useful in the discussion

It should be McCutchen.

Why is that "schtick"?
Its sorta like saying that a building collapse in Philly is a good thing.

peace
Stalk much? I don't even know who you are, but for some reason you bring this up whenever I post. Get a life dude. Sorry if your woman parts were hurt by the Philly thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why is that "schtick"?
Its sorta like saying that a building collapse in Philly is a good thing.

peace
Stalk much? I don't even know who you are, but for some reason you bring this up whenever I post. Get a life dude. Sorry if your woman parts were hurt by the Philly thread.
I apologize.

It is done. No way to undo it

I was out of line.

Quote this in every thread, i am truly sorry. It is over.

Enjoy the Buccos, they are my second team for many reasons.

Enjoy hanging out on the bridge on gaem day.

Enjoy Atrias and roast beef nachos

Enjoy the 2nd best park in the world.

Sorry.

I was out of line.

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread