What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NO Saints @ Seattle On MNF (12/2/13) (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
Maybe we should just tee this up now.

Looking forward to it.

Saints are 3-4 all time in Seattle, regular season and playoffs. All time series is tied 6-6. The playoff game was one of the all time classics, with one of the all time classic runs by Lynch and maybe the best game Matt Hasselbeck ever played. Honestly, no hard feelings, just glad to be involved in classics like that. (Little peeved we underbid on Lynch when we had the chance, but never mind). That Saints defense was not nearly as good as this one, the offense of course is the same, ie top-5, and is in far better shape physically than then (no Graham, literally none of its 3 RBs, linemen out, absurd situation).

The Hawks present what the Saints often struggle with: great running, mobile QB, excellent defense focusing on turnovers, physical, potentially ugly weather road game with considerable HFA.

These are two expansion teams with a history of oppression at the hands of classic franchises, now risen up to have great teams and dominating their own.

Brees vs Wilson, a guy who often gets compared to Brees.

An A-1 rated defense in Seattle vs a defense that rarely gets mentioned and yet has now held two straight good offensive teams to under 200 yards.

I'm sure we can expect Sherman on Graham. The Saints may have lost their top CB, Greer, this weekend. His replacement, Corey White is a playmaker and may be ready for his moment.

Plans for Harvin have yet to be unveiled. Payton will unwrap something special for this game too, you can be sure.

The Saints have played in, and narrowly lost, two games at tough home field venues.

Expecting a -3 favoring Seattle line?

The Saints are in the midst of a ridiculously tough schedule stretch (thanks NFL, always looking out for us) while the Hawks emerge from a bye and largely sweet schedule - which they have won through and played very well to their credit.

Great fans, great cities with great food (seafood, beer, coffee in common).

Playoff HFA on the line.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be a great game... and as a Seahawks fan I gotta say I'm happy it's a home game. It's going to be a loooooong two weeks for me.

This has the makings of one of the games of the year. The Saints barely handled the Niners at home (overcoming costly turnovers to do it) so I think they have to play an almost flawless game to win, especially with the Hawks having so long to prepare.

The Saints D is underrated though.

24-17 Hawks.

so this will make up for all the lousy monday night games so far???

im guessing it'll turn into a wet fart.. lot of hype, lot of noise,

and then shyt

seattle 28

saints 17

i know anyone can beat anyone anywhere.

but a) going to seattle is tough

B) saints arent nearly as good on the road

C) it looked like the saints struggled at home with a physical niners teams

D) i just hope for a good game, but wont expect it as i mentioned previously

ImTheScientist said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
I'm sure we can expect Sherman on Graham.
They won't do that.
Let's talk football.

This is what teams have been doing vs the Saints lately. I saw Whitner on Jimmy yesterday, Talib by the Pats. Who do you expect to be covering him, a different CB, a safety or even a LB - which one?

Seattle finally runs into a team who can hit back.

Saints - 27

Hawks - 23
You think the Saints are physical? lol.
They can be whatever they want to be. They're not stuck being a one-dimensional team.
I don't know what the status of the safeties will be. Harper, Jenkins and especially Vaccaro can all be very physical.

Surprised me to learn the Saints actually have more sacks per game than the Seahawks. The Seahawks have played one more game but only have one more sack.

And then there is the run game. Seattle seems to have this in spades over NO, but from afar it sure seems like a shift from Lynch to Wilson in terms of emphasis, I don't know that's such a good idea for the Seahawks.

Im betting you see Kam Chancellor on him.
I agree with this. Chancellor matched up on Gonzalez for most of the ATL game and on Vernon Davis quite a bit during the past two years when facing SF. That said, I would expect the Seattle LB corp to take notice of where Graham is on every snap to provide extra help. Chancellor has been smoked from time to time by TEs that have a lot of speed.

Saints - 27

Hawks - 23
They can be whatever they want to be. They're not stuck being a one-dimensional team.
I don't know what the status of the safeties will be. Harper, Jenkins and especially Vaccaro can all be very physical.

Surprised me to learn the Saints actually have more sacks per game than the Seahawks. The Seahawks have played one more game but only have one more sack.

And then there is the run game. Seattle seems to have this in spades over NO, but from afar it sure seems like a shift from Lynch to Wilson in terms of emphasis, I don't know that's such a good idea for the Seahawks.
Vaccaro is key. I'm already accustomed to seeing his physical play week in and week out. It sucked not seeing him on the field yesterday because he adds a nasty component to the D. Hopefully they'll give him the Atlanta game off so he can be nice and ready for Seattle. He's quickly becoming my favorite player on defense. :tebow:

Was I the only one yesterday who was wanting to see more Mark Ingram yesterday? If we show up with anything that even resembles a running game we will be tough to beat.

Seattle applies pressure to QBs with an end in mind. They want turnovers. So far they've done a good job of creating turnovers. I haven't looked up the turnover numbers for the Saints. Do they compare favorably?

Seattle applies pressure to QBs with an end in mind. They want turnovers. So far they've done a good job of creating turnovers. I haven't looked up the turnover numbers for the Saints. Do they compare favorably?
No, the Saints have 10 fewer TO's, and it's not just them - Seattle I believe is the premier team in getting takeaways and doing something with them. I bet they're even better at home than on the road in this (just an impression, though why they couldn't win me my FF match by doing better against TB I have no idea (they got 3, I expected 20)).

The Saints were doing very well on the TO ratio side of things until the last couple of games. Two of the TOs vs SF were a little deceiving on paper - one was a fumbled punt return with no pressure by the backup punt returner (Moore) when Sproles went out with a twisted ankle, the other was a questionable fumble through the end zone by White as he was within a yard of a pick-6.

This will be a major issue for the Saints in Seattle, staying patient and not forcing the ball via the pass. Run it even if it doesn't go anywhere and hold onto it.

Saints - 27

Hawks - 23

Vaccaro is key. I'm already accustomed to seeing his physical play week in and week out. It sucked not seeing him on the field yesterday because he adds a nasty component to the D. Hopefully they'll give him the Atlanta game off so he can be nice and ready for Seattle. He's quickly becoming my favorite player on defense. :tebow:

Was I the only one yesterday who was wanting to see more Mark Ingram yesterday? If we show up with anything that even resembles a running game we will be tough to beat.
I have to say Ingram looked good again. It's promising. Peterson had problems yesterday but maybe (as he said) he was limited by his groin. James did well, so did Stacy. There's hope there. I would like to see them stick with the run, successful or not, the play action is working again.

Saints - 27

Hawks - 23
NO is #2 in the league in passing and #23 in rushing. It's practically the definition of one dimensional.
Might surprise you (it does me) but the Saints actually are the No. 1 team in FF points scored by RBs.

http://www.fftoday.com/stats/fantasystats.php?Season=2013&GameWeek=Season&PosID=20&Side=Scored

Does FF equal NFL? No.

You may say that Sproles and Pierre catching the ball is not running the ball, but it sure as heck looks like it when they start drives 2nd & 5 or 2nd & 3.

Saints - 27

Hawks - 23
NO is #2 in the league in passing and #23 in rushing. It's practically the definition of one dimensional.
If you're looking at it from a passing vs. rushing standpoint, sure. But there's more to it than that.

New Orleans has the #2 overall offense in the NFL. They are #2 in yards gained and #2 in points scored per game. That part isn't surprising. But this part probably is for some:

New Orleans has the #4 overall defense in the NFL. They are #4 in yards per game allowed and #5 in points per game. That's scary.

On top of that, they are on the positive side of the turnover margin.

The thing is, Seattle is built almost the same way. Seattle is #3 in defense and #4 in offense (points per game). This is why this will be a fantastic matchup and also why I think both of these teams are much scarier than Denver (great offense but not as great a defense) or KC (great defense but not as great an offense).

I can't remember the last time there were 2 teams that were both top 5 in offense AND defense. The Saints are far from one dimensional.

Can't wait for the Seattle badgers to come in here and start railing on the arrogance of Seattle fans starting yet ANOTHER self aggrandizing thread.

The real question is, has there ever been a MNF game with a lower combined height of the starting quarterbacks? :)

Can't wait for the Seattle badgers to come in here and start railing on the arrogance of Seattle fans starting yet ANOTHER self aggrandizing thread.
Packers lost this week and are hurting without Rodgers. They're less likely to post about Seattle right now. Now that I've mentioned this the odds they make an appearance will go through the roof. I take the under on how long it takes them to sound off.

Packers lost this week and are hurting without Rodgers. They're less likely to post about Seattle right now. Now that I've mentioned this the odds they make an appearance will go through the roof. I take the under on how long it takes them to sound off.
I have noticed those guys all but vanished. Very telling about them as fans.

I was trying to grasp the proper team to root for in the Saints/49ers game yesterday, and I came to the conclusion the Seahawks were getting the Saints in Seattle off a bye week, while having to travel to SF.

I like what I've seen from the Saints this year, seems like Stills has given them a more consistent deep threat while the running backs have contributed as a group when needed. I think you have to take Graham out of the mix as much as possible but that leaves a lot of open space for Thomas and Sproles in the flats, and also creates more one-on-one match-ups on the outside.

Having the tackles back and Harvin and now getting a bye week is huge, I don't think the Seahawks have played nearly to their potential as of yet. Getting a big test at home vs the Saints comes at a perfect time IMO.

How serious is the Browner injury? I understand he'll be out a few weeks but is he possibly gone for the year?

I've got no issue comparing our football teams, but comparing your beer vs our beer is downright offensive. There's no comparison. :P

I was trying to grasp the proper team to root for in the Saints/49ers game yesterday, and I came to the conclusion the Seahawks were getting the Saints in Seattle off a bye week, while having to travel to SF.
That, and it's the difference between the 2 seed and the wild card. Much rather be behind the Saints if I've got to be behind either of them.

The Seattle threads have been a lot better lately. I hadn't connected the dots there. (sorry, I know I'm not helping)

I've got no issue comparing our football teams, but comparing your beer vs our beer is downright offensive. There's no comparison. :P
Hm, good point, issue of contention I have with my city's politics actually but maybe that's for another forum.

The NO coffee's way better though.

I want to thank the Saints for handling their business yesterday, I appreciate it. As far as this game goes, I'm not going to lie....very happy that it's being played in Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread