What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nov. 10, 2018 - ESPN Reporting Le'Veon Bell Unlikely To Report By Tuesday And Will Miss Season (1 Viewer)

How confident are you Schefter's sources are right and Bell misses the deadline and won't play this

• Totally confident he misses deadline

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • Leaning towards he misses deadline

Votes: 46 46.0%
  • On the fence

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Leaning towards he reports before deadline

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Totally confident he reports before deadline

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
What I sent to our subscribers tonight:

I know this is in the other giant thread but wanted to talk about this specific thing here:

I sent this tonight:

This has gone so back and forth this year that I'm hesitant to say much of anything but you need to know what's being reported.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported: "Steelers’ running back Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline, which would make him ineligible to play the rest of this season, multiple league sources tell ESPN."

He has more in his article here.

A few things.

#1. This is NOT official. Understand very clearly what this is: It's Adam Schefter reporting he's hearing from multiple sources Bell will not report by the Tuesday's deadline which would make him ineligible to play this year. That means exactly what it says. Sources are telling Schefter this. This is not a statement from Le'Veon Bell. In fact, the article specifically says they haven't heard from Bell. And also understand we've had several stories on this topic so far where things have been expected to happen and they didn't happen.

#2. Adam Schefter is a friend of mine and I trust no other NFL source more than Adam. He's "old school" when it comes to journalism and unlike much of what you see on the internet, he doesn't put his name on things he doesn't feel strongly about. Schefter is the opposite of the "throw it out there and see what sticks" guy. With that said, it's important to note the article on ESPN is written by Adam. In other words, he's clearly putting his name on this.

Is it possible these sources be wrong? Is it possible Bell could Bell report Monday morning? Absolutely it's possible. We all saw Ian Rapoport miss on the Josh Gordon siting out a quarter news not long ago. And Rapoport is not much below Schefter on my scale. So understand this isn't fact. But also understand this is the NFL reporter I put more faith in than any other NFL reporter writing a feature article on ESPN that says his sources are telling him Le'Veon Bell won't play again this year. That's strong.

If Schefter's sources are accurate and Bell does not report by Tuesday, obviously the huge benefactor is James Conner. And backup RB Jaylen Samuels.

Every fantasy team is different and every trade is dependent on a host of factors. But if you're a Conner guy, his value has never been higher than right now with this report. If you're a Bell guy, his value has never been lower. Proceed accordingly.
My question to you guys - how confident are you Schefter's sources are right and Bell misses the deadline and won't play this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
After about week 4, I had this gut feeling he would sit all season.  After about week 7, I assumed he wouldn't suit up even if he did show.  Now I would bet quite a bit that we don't see him until he shows up on another team in 2019.

It's unfortunate that some have been jack wagons in the past about Joe reporting news from credible NFL reporters that later turned out to be wrong, so he has to include a disclaimer that's longer than the story itself.

Right or wrong, thank you Joe for giving us the most current information of what's being talked about from some of the best reporters in the game. 

It's unfortunate that some have been jack wagons in the past about Joe reporting news from credible NFL reporters that later turned out to be wrong, so he has to include a disclaimer that's longer than the story itself
That's no worry. I do think it's crucial though to relay my thought on the reporter. You guys all know it but lots of the people getting the email aren't as serious as you guys. I thought it was important to let them know how I felt about Schefter.

That's no worry. I do think it's crucial though to relay my thought on the reporter. You guys all know it but lots of the people getting the email aren't as serious as you guys. I thought it was important to let them know how I felt about Schefter.
I just appreciate the prompt emails and shark pool discussion that follows news stories like this. it's a nice thing in 2018. 

News seems to break a little faster at FBG this year, allowing me to make some key moves before news was too public

To answer the question, I'd be more skeptical of news that he was reporting, as that has been wrong all year. He wont report all season, wont risk getting hurt for a few million when he already gave up 14

I think the Dez Bryant situation may influence Leveon deciding to not come back.  Even athletes that think they are staying in shape are probably not in proper "game shape".   The most he'll make this season is 6.5 million.  If he comes back and gets injured--we're talking waay more money lost.  He's essentially waited long enough where the risk of playing is not worth the reward of 6.5 million.  I don't think he's coming back this season. 

Dude should have taken the money week 1.   Really doubt he gets a big payday in 2019 and beyond.  My gut is he will be lucky to make an average annual amount for 2019 and 2020 that is anywhere near what he could have made this year.  For his sake, hope I'm wrong.

Dude should have taken the money week 1.   Really doubt he gets a big payday in 2019 and beyond.  My gut is he will be lucky to make an average annual amount for 2019 and 2020 that is anywhere near what he could have made this year.  For his sake, hope I'm wrong.
He won't make up the $14.5M he lost this year and I doubt he can even get the $33M over two years he'd have got had he accepted the Steelers offer. I'm guessing when all is said and done he'll have cost himself $14.5-20M vs not a year of wear and tear.  I don't think your take is wrong.

I think the reports on Bell have been innacurae all season. Schefter is good, but he's not infallible. If you're feeling lucky and have great depth, I'd look into trading for Bell (redraft leagues). Worst case you wasted depth for nothing. Best case you gain a stud at a lower rate. 

I don't know if Bell's "plan" is subject to ongoing recalibration or not. I do get the sense that he is drawing a great deal of amusement from the speculation on what he is or isn't doing. A lack of transparency has been a core part of this since he and the Steelers couldn't reach an agreement I think. Things like "pass the sticks" - what does it mean? Is it pass to him? From him? I think it's all calculated.

The answer was obvious once it was established, that next year would be the 3rd or transitional tag no matter if he reports this year or not.

Dude should have taken the money week 1.   Really doubt he gets a big payday in 2019 and beyond.  My gut is he will be lucky to make an average annual amount for 2019 and 2020 that is anywhere near what he could have made this year.
:goodposting:  

He drastically overestimated his worth IMO. He left $15M unclaimed and, while he will still make plenty of money, I don't think he will ever make enough to have made this decision a good one. And he did all that while missing an entire season in his prime, which hurts his legacy, hurt some of his relationships with teammates and coaches, gave up an opportunity at another postseason run, and lowered his standing with fans and the media. I think it is the dumbest "business decision" I can recall from a professional athlete.

If I had understood that it was even an option for Bell to not report this season, that would have been my bet from day 1.

This was never even reported as an option before - was always he had to report for 6 games to get to FA.

Seems like someone should have been able to figure this out prior to last week.

This is my only question about this report.  Why are we finding out just now (last couple days) that Bell did not have to report in order to reach FA in 2019?

This is my only question about this report.  Why are we finding out just now (last couple days) that Bell did not have to report in order to reach FA in 2019?
Bell would have been a free agent years ago, but the Steelers tagged him, twice.

This has never been about accruing seasons toward free agency.

davearm said:
Bell would have been a free agent years ago, but the Steelers tagged him, twice.

This has never been about accruing seasons toward free agency.
It was always reported that he had to play 6 games this year for it to count gainst the tag.

Supposedly with the "new" collective bargaining agreement the 3rd tag means he doesn't get an escalator off of RB money - he gets it off of QB money.   Acting like they just found this wording.  So he doesn't have to report now because Steelers won't pay him QB money.  He will become a FA by default as the Steelers won't sign him.  Free to go anywhere and work out a 3 year, guaranteed money type deal.  He's worth more next year by not playing this year. 

A) Those reports were wrong.

B) Counting against the tag isn't the same as counting toward reaching free agency.
We know those things now - but it was widely reported and therefore the conventional wisdom that he had to sign by 11/13 to reach the 3rd tag.  I don't understand how the conventional wisdom was so wrong.

I think the Dez Bryant situation may influence Leveon deciding to not come back.  Even athletes that think they are staying in shape are probably not in proper "game shape".   The most he'll make this season is 6.5 million.  If he comes back and gets injured--we're talking waay more money lost.  He's essentially waited long enough where the risk of playing is not worth the reward of 6.5 million.  I don't think he's coming back this season. 
This and the fact that he and the Steelers could not come to an agreement on compensation during the 2-week exemption.   Reportedly Bell wanted the full $850k/wk while inactive and the Steelers were not willing to pay that.  

Well done.  Wish I had seen your posts as I would have slept better with Conner and possibly acted differently.  I don't have Bell but early on was trying to acquire him cheaply.  Your POV might have helped me do that OR perhaps not even bother.

In any case kudos for being the ONLY person to read and understand the CBA.  Some young sports journalist could have made a name for himself if he had your smarts and a bigger platform. 

Easy answer: "sports journalism"
Agreed.

To restate what I said weeks ago:

As far as reporters making comments about Bell's situation, I truly think they haven't read the CBA. Some claims have been even more laughably unsupported by what is actually in the CBA.

Some people (reporters) make assumptions. Others parrot the information. Suddenly it is accepted as truth while (practically) nobody actually reads the CBA. When some of us point out the actual agreement, since it doesn't match what has been accepted without evidence, the truth gets ignored.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=55220

We know those things now - but it was widely reported and therefore the conventional wisdom that he had to sign by 11/13 to reach the 3rd tag.  I don't understand how the conventional wisdom was so wrong.
Fake news strikes again

:goodposting:  

He drastically overestimated his worth IMO. He left $15M unclaimed and, while he will still make plenty of money, I don't think he will ever make enough to have made this decision a good one. And he did all that while missing an entire season in his prime, which hurts his legacy, hurt some of his relationships with teammates and coaches, gave up an opportunity at another postseason run, and lowered his standing with fans and the media. I think it is the dumbest "business decision" I can recall from a professional athlete.
If he and/or his agent understood that he would be a free agent next year without reporting, then it seems that he (they) would have stated this at the beginning. His semi-loyalty (which was and is not loyalty at all) to his teammates pre-season soured their position. I don't understand how that will be totally forgotten by other teams seeking him to sign next year.

If he and/or his agent understood that he would be a free agent next year without reporting, then it seems that he (they) would have stated this at the beginning. His semi-loyalty (which was and is not loyalty at all) to his teammates pre-season soured their position. I don't understand how that will be totally forgotten by other teams seeking him to sign next year.
The layer that's missing here is that Bell is angry (justifiably or otherwise) with the Steelers management/ownership. If he had the facts, knew he wouldn't play this year and strung everyone along, it was to attempt to hurt the Steelers. You can argue that is stupid or unprofessional or what have you but I see this as an outcome of all bridges being burned in that relationship.

As far as the relationship with teammates goes, I think it's an unfortunate consequence of the obvious clash between "self employed athlete" and "football/team culture".

Well you're conflating a few things now (free agency and 3rd tag).

Some reports talked about him needing to play 6 games this year to reach free agency.  Those were wrong from the very beginning.  He qualified for FA years ago.

Other reports talked about him needing to report by 11/13 to reach the 3rd tag.  Those we just recently learned were also wrong.

matuski said:

How did anyone not know this?

Things move fast, huh?

I wonder how Bell would be playing now and how the Steelers would be if Bell never left.

Users who are viewing this thread