What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NOW-How do you feel about NFL adding a game? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
What if they went to 18 or 19 weeks? Remember talk of that earlier in the year?

How do you feel now? This weekend seems to be perfect time to ask that Q.

NO!!!

Injuries would mount even further.....records wouldn't be the same(think about when seasons were 12/14 games).

Limit Preseason to 3 games and see what happens from there.

As always, most fans are against change. If you ask what if we contract the season to 15 games, most people would say "no." If you ask what if we expand the season to 17 games, most would say "no."

I'm not of the opinion that 16 is the perfect number, and I'll generally side on the part of more football as opposed to less football. I'd also approve of an extra bye week and making the NFL a 16 game, 18 week season. The more football, the better.

If you think injuries would be brutal in a 17 game season, do you think we should contract to 15 to prevent injuries?

The more football you play, the more injuries pile up and shape the landscape. It's a physically brutal sport and you'd see more (after football) lives ruined by more games, but it would also benefit teams with more depth and better overall rosters. Think in terms of boxing. Was going from 15 to 12 rounds better for the sport? Yes in health, but no in terms of separating the best of the best.

I would like only two preseason games and then 18 regular-season games along with another bye week.

I'd prefer that Oakland, Cleveland, Kansas City, Buffalo, Seattle, Tampa Bay, St. Louis and Detroit all get 16 bye weeks so other teams don't have to take a chance at getting players injured while playing these wasted franchises.

Also I forgot to add that players would want to get paid more because they are playing more games.

So it would add in more changes to the CBA too(which is already up in arms as well).

I would like only two preseason games and then 18 regular-season games along with another bye week.
:lmao: I think this is a good solution. An additional bye week for every team to allow time for nagging injuries to heal both after ~4-6 games and then after ~10-12 games played. Less meaningless preseason. Earlier start to regular season. Get rid of the bye week between AFC/NFC Championships - more, constant football. My :P

What about increasing the number of playoff teams from 6 to 8 in each conference?

Have 16 out of the 32 teams make the playoffs.

This would most definately result in more meaningfull games at the end of the regular season.

They should make the season shorter... Go back to 14 games and only division winners in the playoffs...

This is what I would like to see as well. The bye weeks can help teams get healthy as well as work on problems they have. This would also lead to good injection spots for rookies breaking into the lineup. All teams should also have a minimum of 5 games between their byes. End product is more watchable football and more recovery time for players.

This is what I would like to see as well. The bye weeks can help teams get healthy as well as work on problems they have. This would also lead to good injection spots for rookies breaking into the lineup. All teams should also have a minimum of 5 games between their byes. End product is more watchable football and more recovery time for players.
If there must be more football, then thats the best solution.

i heard owners don't have to pay players as much for pre-season games, yet still can charge season ticket holders full price.

This would totally get my vote. You know the NFL's about increasing their profit as well so going to 2 pre-season games with an 18 game schedule and an extra bye week might sit well with a lot of NFL brass. Not sure if owners would like it as it would cost them more in player salaries but they could find ways to recoup the revenue. Players union may not like it as they probably want to keep 16 games, citing player health concerns with an 18 game schedule. May not happen soon but I think eventually we could see an 18 game schedule with 2 bye weeks.

As much as I love football I really don't like the idea

I guess it would be okay if they added the extra bye and probably would need to expand the practice squads to help get by with the added injuries

you think it's bad now with teams resting players, wait til they have 18 game season and teams clinch

injuries will mount even more and teams will clinch even earlier ( 3 or 4 games left )

many more teams will start playing guys a quarter or two for 2-3 weeks, so the preseason games will just shift from the beginning to the end

also 16 is perfect for the 32 team schedule (4 non-conf, 6 division, 4 in-conf from one other division, and 2 in-conf in the other two div that finished in same place in div)

The fans would love a schedule with 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games, because that means they pay full price to attend merely 2 preseason games instead of 4.

:shrug: Start the season one week earlier so that they can relax the pre-season with similar number of practices in a longer period with less travel for the pre-season games.

I don't like the idea. These guys already play enough games as is.

There will be more injuries with another game and the games will all mean less.

Look at the NBA. The games aren't exciting because there are 82 of them. None of them really mean anything.

The NFL owners have a good thing going. No need to let unfettered greed ruin that.

I want 19 - each team in division X2 (6), one division in the other conference 1X (4), play the same # seed (by previous year finish) in the other conference 1X each (3), one other division in conference 1X (4), the other same seeds in the same conference (2)

The plan is to convert either 1 or 2 preseason games into regular season games, which isn't quite the same as adding games. These games will be played either way.

The plan is to convert either 1 or 2 preseason games into regular season games, which isn't quite the same as adding games. These games will be played either way.
As preseason games they'd be played mostly by second-stringers and lesser players. As regular season games they'll be played by starters, resulting in more starters getting injured and a lower quality of play.

I want 19 - each team in division X2 (6), one division in the other conference 1X (4), play the same # seed (by previous year finish) in the other conference 1X each (3), one other division in conference 1X (4), the other same seeds in the same conference (2)
how about6 games in your division 4 games against one nonconference division 8 games against 2 of the other 3 conference divisions18 gameseveryone in the same division plays the same schedule

As preseason games they'd be played mostly by second-stringers and lesser players. As regular season games they'll be played by starters, resulting in more starters getting injured and a lower quality of play.
yep.

how about6 games in your division 4 games against one nonconference division 8 games against 2 of the other 3 conference divisions18 gameseveryone in the same division plays the same schedule
I'd be okay with that but I kind of like the difference due to previous year's success. Your plan is probably cleaner though. I'd also be okay with establishing "rival" teams based on geography in the other conference, some teams would be difficult but teams like Cleveland/Cincy, Chicago/Indy, Pitt/Philly, etc. should face each other more often. Not entirely sure how to incorporate that though.

As far as this thread goes, I'd prefer to see less preseason games and maybe a couple more regular season games with an additional bye. But hey, that's just me.

I'm going off on a tangent here......it's called a thread hijack.......

I find it extremely ironic (and disheartening) that 4 staff members (including an owner, Dodds) felt posting in this topic was appropriate, but only one staff member (Pasquino) felt it appropriate to post in a topic asking "What are we paying for?" And, Pasquino didn't actually reply to the OP in that thread, he merely responded to a question within the thread regarding dynasty projections and their location. Where is the staff when it comes time to answer the questions regarding THIS WEEK------WEEK 17-----?????????

I've got a thread over in the Applications Forum questioning what is up with the Lineup Dominator this week and have gotten a grand total of 16 views and no replies. Staff needs to take a look at that thread.......or should I just move it over here to the SP? LD isn't working properly and I'm absolutely positive it has nothing to do with me. I've done nothing different from the other 16 weeks. I feel as though I've been let down heavily when it matters the most. Very disappointing.

Week 17 is the most important week of the year for me (and my league) but FBG seems to have mailed it in for this week. If you are going to promote your site as a COMPLETE fantasy football information warehouse, then it should be complete. FINISH the year STRONG!!! Just because the majority of your subscribers have already had their championship game doesn't mean you can.........................oh whatever, I'm not going to get any answers that are satisfactory in my eyes.

As far as this thread goes, I'd prefer to see less preseason games and maybe a couple more regular season games with an additional bye. But hey, that's just me.I'm going off on a tangent here......it's called a thread hijack.......I find it extremely ironic (and disheartening) that 4 staff members (including an owner, Dodds) felt posting in this topic was appropriate, but only one staff member (Pasquino) felt it appropriate to post in a topic asking "What are we paying for?" And, Pasquino didn't actually reply to the OP in that thread, he merely responded to a question within the thread regarding dynasty projections and their location. Where is the staff when it comes time to answer the questions regarding THIS WEEK------WEEK 17-----?????????I've got a thread over in the Applications Forum questioning what is up with the Lineup Dominator this week and have gotten a grand total of 16 views and no replies. Staff needs to take a look at that thread.......or should I just move it over here to the SP? LD isn't working properly and I'm absolutely positive it has nothing to do with me. I've done nothing different from the other 16 weeks. I feel as though I've been let down heavily when it matters the most. Very disappointing.Week 17 is the most important week of the year for me (and my league) but FBG seems to have mailed it in for this week. If you are going to promote your site as a COMPLETE fantasy football information warehouse, then it should be complete. FINISH the year STRONG!!! Just because the majority of your subscribers have already had their championship game doesn't mean you can.........................oh whatever, I'm not going to get any answers that are satisfactory in my eyes.
:goodposting: :lmao: :lmao: You do realize the LD is pretty much the same thing as looking at the cheat sheets yourself. I don't even use that thing.

You do realize the LD is pretty much the same thing as looking at the cheat sheets yourself. I don't even use that thing.
You are mistaken. The LD will correlate the cheat sheet/projection numbers into my own various leagues scoring systems. Just looking at the cheat sheets or the projections based on standard scoring helps me very little. None of my leagues use standard FBG scoring. So the cheat sheets, while they are valuable to many subscribers, just aren't as valuable to me as the LD is. Since I'm in a few championship games this weekend, I want the product I expected to work......to actually work.If you don't know what you are talking about (and obviously you don't, because in your own words you "don't use that thing") stay out of any conversation in which you know nothing.One other thing. I don't criticize you for using the cheat sheets and not using the LD, so don't come on here and criticize me for using the LD and not the cheat sheets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of the few that thinks the preseason shouldnt be shortened, because its the time where everyone gets to see the depth players. Guys come out of nowhere, guys get put on watch lists. I think it currently is pretty much three games with the final being mainly played by your starting lineups.

If we went to 3 or 2 games you would essentially have 1 or 2 games where you are evaluating final cuts to the 53 man roster. Because the final preseason game is always going to be mainly starters to get them up to game speed for week one.

Im also against lengthening the season not so much because of the injuries. Those can happen anytime. But because of the added wear and tear that will shorten a players career in the long run. Also in agreement with the people who are against it because of the various stat records shifting.

Im all for more football, thats why I joined FF Dynasty Leagues, theres always something going on to keep my head in the game.

:lawl: at all the guys suggesting the 18 game season adn 2 bye weeks like it both haven't already been discussed Ad nauseam for two years.

We are going to see exactly that. 18 games, 2 byes, 2 less preseason games.

Shorter careers for RB's, more RBBC

Nobody ever coming close to Emmitt's records.

Why is everyone complaining about injuries and careers being shorter if there were more games. Injuries can happen in game 1 or game 20. The more football the better period. Some of you act like these guys are being forced to play the game they love. Football is a dangerous game and everyone involved knows the risk going in so it's just funny to me hearing people talking about more chances for injuries. Injuries are part of the game so get over it. I love the NFL and I would love more regular season games.

When the regular season extends to 17 or 18 games expect a game or two to be played outside the USA for each team. It seems to be the way of the NFL.

Personally I do not like the idea but if they do it they should give each team a sister city in another country although I guess there would be huge fights for the big cities like London, Berlin, Paris, etc. As for the Steelers it would most likely be Dublin.

Last edited by a moderator:
There would also need to be a 20 day IR spot added to the teams and expanded rosters...

Also, we could also make the 2 added games into flex, teams that are playing for playoff spots play each other while teams that are clinched or out of the playoffs can play each other.

Go old school schedule similar to baseball, with no interleague play.NFC plays each division member twice = 6each other NFC team once = 12eighteen games and everyone plays same schedule within divisionDitto for AFC

Go old school schedule similar to baseball, with no interleague play.NFC plays each division member twice = 6each other NFC team once = 12eighteen games and everyone plays same schedule within divisionDitto for AFC
:thumbdown: Even baseball went away from this.

There would also need to be a 20 day IR spot added to the teams and expanded rosters...

Also, we could also make the 2 added games into flex, teams that are playing for playoff spots play each other while teams that are clinched or out of the playoffs can play each other.
This was discussed on the P-F-R blog earlier this year: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=2469
Play flex games in the final two weeks of the [18-game] regular season, setting the matchups based on how the season has progressed. The recent television deal with NBC on Sunday Night Football has already introduced the concept of a flexible schedule in terms of setting the night matchup closer to the time of the game. This idea simply builds on that. My idea would simply pair up those teams that have something to play for within a conference, and set up matchups that would decide playoff positioning on the field. For teams that had nothing to play for, the matchups could still be set up in such a way that geographic rivals can play at season’s end.

Here’s how my idea would work:

1) After 16 games have been played, the final two matchups are set based on record and playoff eligibility to that point.

2) The home team dates will be known ahead of time, by setting which divisions will have home games for game 17 versus game 18, so tickets for the games can be sold with just the identity of the opponent to be determined. For example, in 2009, the AFC West and North play each other. The AFC West/North would be at home for week 18 and on the road in week 19. The reverse would be true in the NFC, so that there would still be a roughly equal geographic distribution of home games both weekends.

3) All teams that have not clinched a specific playoff seed (even if they have clinched a playoff spot) and all remaining teams that are mathematically alive for a playoff spot are put into the Playoff Pool of teams.

4) All teams that have been eliminated from playoff contention, or have clinched a specific playoff seed are put into the Non-Playoff Pool of teams.

5) If the number of playoff pool teams within a conference is imbalanced across the two halves of a conference (In 2009, West+North versus East+South), then the necessary number of teams will move up from the Non-Playoff Pool to give an even number of matchups for Playoff Pool teams. The Non-Playoff Pool Team with the best record, from the half of the conference with fewer teams, will move to the Playoff Pool, if necessary, to balance out the matchups.

6) For Playoff Pool games, all games will be played between conference opponents. AFC Playoff eligible teams will only play AFC, and NFC teams will only play other NFC teams.

7) For Non-Playoff Pool teams, games can be played against both conference and non-conference opponents.

8) Teams will not play a non-divisional opponent they already played in the regular season in the flex games.

9) The matchups within the Playoff Pool will be set based on a priority order (subject to Rule #8). I would love to let teams select their home opponent, but I doubt this would ever happen in real life. Teams that were tied for a playoff position would meet, with the team holding the current tiebreaker getting home field for the matchup. The priority rules for setting matchups would have to be spelled out in detail, but for now, let’s say generally that first priority would go to teams that had not clinched a playoff spot, but were in playoff position after 16 games, followed by teams that had clinched playoff berth but not positioning, followed by teams out of playoff position but still in contention.

Two preseason games, 16-game regular season schedule spread out over 18 weeks. The four teams in a division are all off on the same weeks. Easier to plan for fantasy.

Why is everyone complaining about injuries and careers being shorter if there were more games.
There's probably a pickup game being played within a few miles of you. Are you watching it?
:mellow: More injuries means shorter careers, players breaking down and tiring, passing/receiving records getting obliterated, poorer quality of play, and a higher risk for the NFL to lose Golden Girls like Brady.

Users who are viewing this thread