What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now is the time why you play dynasty (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
There is no offseason.  Waiver pickups, trading, league discussions, rookie analysis, etc.

Nothing against redraft, but if you aren't playing dynasty or devy, you're missing out.  I know lots of you like the break and that is OK, but dynasty and devy are a lot of fun.  It's all I play.  If you haven't tried dynasty you should.  If I ever have an opening in one of my leagues (Fantasy Legends, Fantasy Legends II, or Ultimate Football Dynasty (which is a devy league), you should give it a try.  Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
My main league is a bit different, its a salary cap/contract/auction league. This is the time of year I start to evaluate my roster and see what players may still be worth their cap hit for next year. We have a summer meeting where among other things, we can cut players with no cap penalty. Cut a player any other day of the year and there's a cap hit. We can't make waiver moves as all FA's will be bid on during the auction. No signing players for free! Trades will happen, but not much till we get closer to the auction after we've all agonized over our rosters and see who we're keeping and how much we can allocate to each position. All trades must still fit under our cap and will impact our auction day budgets.

Need to evaluate my players coming off their contracts and try to set values I'd like to re-sign them and see what the other teams have coming off contracts. Next big circle on the calendar is the NFL draft. I usually hold off on too much rookie eval till I see where they land.

My fun at this point in the season is trying to imagine what next year's roster could look like.

I haven't been doing it too long, but the off-seasons are so much better this way. It's a reason to stay engaged and keep up with the players coming out of school. Very cool. Lots of information and cool suggestions and hawt taeks out there, too, which makes it all interesting. It's a really good format and I'd encourage anyone interested to seek out leagues, etc. 

Only thing I don't like is how some GMs or advice givers have a tendency towards flipping players rapidly and coldly. It seems like they're not valuing the player, but really simply valuing him given how he stands in relation to the marketplace in the short term. I'm sure there are smarter minds than mine winning that way (by accumulating draft capital or players that way) but it seems to me antithetical to a build and team approach. 

Just spitballing and my two cents. 

I enjoy trading for picks, evaluating rookies, and making rookie rankings more than the regular season.
This….was a long season for me in dynasty. 

2022 will also be a long season.

but I am SO fired up for the 2022 draft even though I only have a 1st, a 3rd and a 4th, and I’m gonna try like hell to move my last scraps to get another.

But in 2023 I own the draft, and THEN my 3-year plan to rebuild comes fo fruition. I hope. 

The point of all of this is I am FIRED UP for the draft, and I’m FIRED UP for my league’s draft both this year and next! 

Dynasty means even if you’re in a full on wholesale rebuild, you’re still excited to play the game. There is no offseason or downtime & the instant the trade window opens, imma be firing off offers to move Carr, Fuller, Engram, Ced Wilson, and any other scraps I’ve got laying around. 

I ❤️ Dynasty! 

Just finished a startup 12 team SF PPR Best Ball draft today. Yes, Dynasty is year round! We start 1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 1SF, 3 reg flex, how did I do? Will my dog hunt? 

Stafford, Brady, Trubisky, Lock

Taylor, Chubb, Pollard, McKissic, Mostert, Cohen, Eno Benjamin, Jeffrey Wilson, McKinnon, Lindsay 

Lamb, Evans, Ridley, A-Robinson, Thielen, Samuel, Corey Davis, Terrace Marshall, Peoples-Jones, Demarcus Robinson, DeAndre Carter, Showronek 

Freiermuth, Ertz, Moreau, Gray, Bates 

Rookie pick 1.7

@ffmail4me does best ball just mean you don't set a starting lineup and the best score each week counts based on the starting lineup requirement?
Exactly. This is the 3rd best ball league I've joined and I honestly love it. You still can trade and do weekly waivers, but takes the frustration out of starting lineups. I would honestly change all my leagues to this if I could. If you feel drafting is a strength, and you can go deep with your knowledge of players/depth on teams, its a great format for you. 

Short for "developmental" squad where you can draft college players a year or two before they play in the NFL.  In the case of the devy league I used to play in (several years ago, and the same one referenced in the OP), only 12 college players could be rostered across the entire league, which made them rather scarce; if there was only room to add one more underclassmen in the rookie draft, the pick on the clock with that pick had (potentially) a nice bargaining chip for trade talks.

Just finished a startup 12 team SF PPR Best Ball draft today. Yes, Dynasty is year round! We start 1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 1SF, 3 reg flex, how did I do? Will my dog hunt? 

Taylor, Chubb, Pollard, McKissic, Mostert, Cohen, Eno Benjamin, Jeffrey Wilson, McKinnon, Lindsay 

Lamb, Evans, Ridley, A-Robinson, Thielen, Samuel, Corey Davis, Terrace Marshall, Peoples-Jones, Demarcus Robinson, DeAndre Carter, Showronek 

Rookie pick 1.7
Parts of it will hunt. Parts will be put out to pasture. I like any team with Lamb, Ridley, Taylor & Chubb though. Puncher's chance. 

:penalty:   loquaciousness: 10 yards and loss of post. 

There is no offseason.  Waiver pickups, trading, league discussions, rookie analysis, etc.

Nothing against redraft, but if you aren't playing dynasty or devy, you're missing out.  I know lots of you like the break and that is OK, but dynasty and devy are a lot of fun.  It's all I play.  If you haven't tried dynasty you should.  If I ever have an opening in one of my leagues (Fantasy Legends, Fantasy Legends II, or Ultimate Football Dynasty (which is a devy league), you should give it a try.  Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Chuck

There's more to life than fantasy football. I'm checking myself out until April.

Only thing I don't like is how some GMs or advice givers have a tendency towards flipping players rapidly and coldly. It seems like they're not valuing the player, but really simply valuing him given how he stands in relation to the marketplace in the short term. I'm sure there are smarter minds than mine winning that way (by accumulating draft capital or players that way) but it seems to me antithetical to a build and team approach. 

Just spitballing and my two cents. 
There are a number of people who play dynasty because they want to win the 'pretty roster' award and, thus, are always looking for the new hotness. You will usually see them bragging about their roster/startup drafts seeking that validation. Their rosters are usually heavy on the next, young breakout WRs. High on potential, low on production.

There are a number of people who play dynasty because they want to win the 'pretty roster' award and, thus, are always looking for the new hotness. You will usually see them bragging about their roster/startup drafts seeking that validation. Their rosters are usually heavy on the next, young breakout WRs. High on potential, low on production.
I don't even begrudge that, really. I'm guilty of it. I always select young guys that have potential. But some guys just tinker way too much, thinking they'll leverage the market when in reality, they're just day trading. Like I said, finer minds than mine...

I don't even begrudge that, really. I'm guilty of it. I always select young guys that have potential. But some guys just tinker way too much, thinking they'll leverage the market when in reality, they're just day trading. Like I said, finer minds than mine...
In my experience the tinkerer/day trader eventually could be the proverbial blind squirrel. Unlikely though. I've seen a couple approaches that win consistently though. Then there's luck.

Well, I'm not privy so I guess I'll need the luck you speak of. Kidding aside, what approaches do you think win consistently? 
There's two I'm thinking of. I need to preface that completely knowing and understanding the league scoring rules and how they relate positionally is critical to compiling a consistently competitive roster. Not understanding them is the death knell. I'm sure you know this already although you might be surprised how often some guys just can't grasp that correlation. 

The one approach is to surround your upper mid-range QB with top tier productive  RB & WR talent and mid-range TE. Make smart trades based on need and honest player valuations without sacrificing much, if any, draft capital. A shrewd owner will gain draft capital while improving their roster. Don't trade just to trade or because you have a man-crush on some player. Do a decent amount of homework and prep to value rookies accordingly, enough so that you're drafting at least one that could become a long-term fixture on your squad each year. This approach has been very successful for one guy in my league. 

My approach is a little different and I've been almost as successful. In 15 out of 20 years I've had a QB (P. Manning-11 yrs, Mahomes-4) that could conceivably finish top-3 or better every year. I try to surround him with stud RB's, at least 1 stud WR with some other consistent WR's and then a lower top-tier TE. That stud WR is usually my QB's major hookup. Manning it was Wayne in Indy, Thomas in Denver. Mahomes it's Hill. I prepare like no other when it comes to the draft. Any 1st round pick I make is always a RB. I'll trade out of it if I can't get one I want. I shy away from rookie WR's in the 1st. I never trade just to trade. I'll also trade the majority of my draft capital for any player I'm convinced will help me win a title and could be an anchor on my roster for several years. When I do draft a 1st round rookie I don't give up on him if I don't see immediate results. I trust my evaluation process. I also give myself honest year-end performance reviews where I force myself to admit where I might have been wrong. I'll keep a vet on my team even when the pundits say he's done if I believe he's not (think Thielen.) It's not the best approach for many but it has worked for me rather consistently. 

My current starting roster is stacked top to bottom. I finished 3rd, losing to the eventual champ in the divisional round. He is the one with the first approach. I've got an okay bench that needs improvement. I'll address that in the draft.

Not much but, HTH

Not much but, HTH
No, that's something to think about -- especially the league scoring. I haven't mastered my main league's inter-position proportionality to where I know the scoring cold and how it should be looking. It's an IDP league, so there are six positions to worry about, and they're not all equal in the least. There's a difference in the scoring between DEs and LBs, between LBs and WRs. It's not like you can look at it, say, well I know that the average LB scores 200 and that 200 points is equal to another position's average. It's not. It's staggered, so emphasizing draft capital to the differing positions becomes important. On who and when are you spending your capital at certain positions can determine if you win or lose a few games that season. 

So that's a reminder I really need to have it down cold. I'd sort of slacked compiling the scores and seeing the tiers and how they wound up comparatively.  

I played in a redraft IDP years ago and struggled mightily. I'm envious of folks that can play and win consistently in IDP leagues. I spend too much time as it is on just offensive players. Good luck to you rock!!

Ruffrodys05 said:
There's two I'm thinking of. I need to preface that completely knowing and understanding the league scoring rules and how they relate positionally is critical to compiling a consistently competitive roster. Not understanding them is the death knell. I'm sure you know this already although you might be surprised how often some guys just can't grasp that correlation. 

The one approach is to surround your upper mid-range QB with top tier productive  RB & WR talent and mid-range TE. Make smart trades based on need and honest player valuations without sacrificing much, if any, draft capital. A shrewd owner will gain draft capital while improving their roster. Don't trade just to trade or because you have a man-crush on some player. Do a decent amount of homework and prep to value rookies accordingly, enough so that you're drafting at least one that could become a long-term fixture on your squad each year. This approach has been very successful for one guy in my league. 

My approach is a little different and I've been almost as successful. In 15 out of 20 years I've had a QB (P. Manning-11 yrs, Mahomes-4) that could conceivably finish top-3 or better every year. I try to surround him with stud RB's, at least 1 stud WR with some other consistent WR's and then a lower top-tier TE. That stud WR is usually my QB's major hookup. Manning it was Wayne in Indy, Thomas in Denver. Mahomes it's Hill. I prepare like no other when it comes to the draft. Any 1st round pick I make is always a RB. I'll trade out of it if I can't get one I want. I shy away from rookie WR's in the 1st. I never trade just to trade. I'll also trade the majority of my draft capital for any player I'm convinced will help me win a title and could be an anchor on my roster for several years. When I do draft a 1st round rookie I don't give up on him if I don't see immediate results. I trust my evaluation process. I also give myself honest year-end performance reviews where I force myself to admit where I might have been wrong. I'll keep a vet on my team even when the pundits say he's done if I believe he's not (think Thielen.) It's not the best approach for many but it has worked for me rather consistently. 

My current starting roster is stacked top to bottom. I finished 3rd, losing to the eventual champ in the divisional round. He is the one with the first approach. I've got an okay bench that needs improvement. I'll address that in the draft.

Not much but, HTH
These are very detailed regarding position strength.  To me that detail isn't necessary to be a consistent winner.  You did hit the nail on the head about knowing your league scoring....that includes all rules (knowing waiver and lineup inefficiencies can also be a big help).  One other thing that is invaluable is knowing the other owners likes and dislikes.  This can help in deals and during the draft.  Many are creatures of habit and knowing what those are gives you an advantage.

For me I think too many owners in dynasty play for next year.  They always play for next year.  Which means next year never comes.  I tend to look in 2 year increments because so much can change in free agency, injuries, coaching changes, etc that trying to predict any further out is just foolish.  I also target vets that the "next year" guys think are too old.  You can always get them for cheap and they are usually key components to filling our your roster with startable players.  I also don't value draft picks as much as most dynasty guys.  I would rather use that pick to get a guy that I believe in that has already showed something at the NFL level and by change of situation I believe is taking the next step.  "Next Year" guy loves draft picks for shiny new toys and tend to give up on these type players.  If you are good at identifying who these guys are you can take advantage.  

Nobody is untouchable and for the right price you should move anybody.  Don't get too attached.  This is a good way to get stagnant and let other teams catch up to you.  Even though it seems silly to think about, Taylor is probably at his all time high in value.  If you can get another top 5 RB, top WR or two, and some nice picks don't be afraid to pull the trigger.  This is how you improve your overall roster quickly.  

Trust yourself.  Maybe not everyone can do this because they just aren't good at player evaluations.  But if you believe in yourself trust your evaluations and don't be afraid to make a bad deal.  This is the best way to never get anything done.  Ok.  I am done rambling now.  

For me I think too many owners in dynasty play for next year.  They always play for next year.  Which means next year never comes. 
I try to do both at the at the same time, play for this year and next, unless I'm a middle of the road team that is old.  Then a rebuild is in order.  On the flip side of this part of your post, there are also too many players playing dynasty that have a redraft mentality.  These are the owners who ride an aging team without thinking to the future and leave me with a mess trying to replace them after they quit. The commish job is hard  enough without having to replace owners who do this.   I have to offer a discount and / or picks at the end of each round to entice them to take a bad team.  Truthfully that is the worst part of a dynasty commissioner's job.  I would rather owners who have this mindset to just play redraft.

I try to do both at the at the same time, play for this year and next, unless I'm a middle of the road team that is old.  Then a rebuild is in order.  On the flip side of this part of your post, there are also too many players playing dynasty that have a redraft mentality.  These are the owners who ride an aging team without thinking to the future and leave me with a mess trying to replace them after they quit. The commish job is hard  enough without having to replace owners who do this.   I have to offer a discount and / or picks at the end of each round to entice them to take a bad team.  Truthfully that is the worst part of a dynasty commissioner's job.
That is why I look at 2 year increments and adjust for that.  I think we are saying the same thing.  

I try to do both at the at the same time, play for this year and next, unless I'm a middle of the road team that is old.  Then a rebuild is in order.  On the flip side of this part of your post, there are also too many players playing dynasty that have a redraft mentality.  These are the owners who ride an aging team without thinking to the future and leave me with a mess trying to replace them after they quit. The commish job is hard  enough without having to replace owners who do this.   I have to offer a discount and / or picks at the end of each round to entice them to take a bad team.  Truthfully that is the worst part of a dynasty commissioner's job.  I would rather owners who have this mindset to just play redraft.
To prevent people from going scorched earth and leaving a team that no one wants, make future year's league dues payable in advance if a future draft pick is traded away. Then if a replacement owner is needed, they get a free year(s).

All the dynasty leagues I am in have had 2022 paid last year and 2023 is due prior to the start of this season or if a 2023 draft pick is traded so some owners have already paid for 2023.

To prevent people from going scorched earth and leaving a team that no one wants, make future year's league dues payable in advance if a future draft pick is traded away. Then if a replacement owner is needed, they get a free year(s).

All the dynasty leagues I am in have had 2022 paid last year and 2023 is due prior to the start of this season or if a 2023 draft pick is traded so some owners have already paid for 2023.
It goes well beyond that.  I now only allow trading of picks one year into the future.  I've seen plenty of teams willing to pay future league fees if they have a shot now at winning, then leave anyway if what they paid was for 2 years or more into the future.  Also, sometimes you have to give more than a discount.  New owners value picks, so giving them the 1.13, 2.13, 3.13, 4.13 in a 12 team league is valued more than getting a bad team for free for one year.

smbkrypt24 said:
I enjoy trading for picks, evaluating rookies, and making rookie rankings more than the regular season.
Yeah, nothing better than sniping a great rookie value that everyone else passed on for no apparent reason. AJ Brown at 3.04 in a 12-team PPR league. I'll never stop talking about that one 😂

My dynasty GM skills diminished when I cut back from four dynasty leagues to one about five years ago. I naturally overvalue players I have rostered, and when I had more players rostered across multiple leagues, i was much more receptive to acquiring players in trades because collectively I had a lot more players hoisted up on pedestals.

Just an observation I thought I would share.

started in a 16 team, IDP, TE Premium league back in 2017 and I would never go back to re-draft. Like many on here have said, I enjoy the year roundness of it all, rookie draft in May just after the NFL draft and between the end of the season and the draft its evaluating rookies and setting a draft board about 50 players deep including IDP players....Love it!

Rookie pick 1.7
If Brady retires you’ll be in a rebuild quick. But with plenty of good assets. 

Users who are viewing this thread