What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Numbers (1 Viewer)

jgrangers2

Footballguy
How much do numbers truly matter in football? I am a big baseball fan where numbers pretty much define your career. I am also a huge football fan and have recently questioned this topic. Are football players truly defined by numbers? In fact, how do you define true football greatness?

Nowhere close to baseball.

Every baseball player has at least some statistics that indicates greatness. For hitters it's batting average, or home runs or runs scored, or RBI's.

Every pitcher has w-l, or ERA or SO's.

Fielders have stats.

Only some players in football have stats. QB's, rb's, receivers. Offensive linemen don't have stats. Defensive linemen have sacks, but tackles are not an official number, nor are passes defended, so lb's and db's don't really have stats (other than int's).

So, it's not similar. Baseball is an individual game, played as a team. Football is much more a team sport.

How much do numbers truly matter in football? I am a big baseball fan where numbers pretty much define your career. I am also a huge football fan and have recently questioned this topic. Are football players truly defined by numbers? In fact, how do you define true football greatness?
Baseball is so much more of an individual sport, or should I say a sport defined by individual matchups so stats can carry far more value.In the NFL, numbers never tell the whole story. It is hard to compare Hines Ward's numbers to that of a Marvin Harrison because they play in different offensive system, but I am sure you knew this already.

It seems your more pointed question is how you define greatness, relative to how greatness is defined in baseball. It seems to be much more arbitrary, much like debating in MLB who had the best swing.

If Montana was on the worst team in football rather than the niners, he would be a no-name. If Brady was drafted by the Niners instead of the Patriots, would he have won 3 superbowls...NO.

A great hitter in baseball will be a great hitter no matter what team he plays on. Sure he may have less RBIs, but hits and HRs should be consistent. Lets leave out Coors field for now.

David Carr stinks right now, but put him in Pitt and Ben in Houston and they would have completely different stats. Stats mean a lot, but not as much as winning does in the NFL. Only a few players are on horrible teams and get recognition. Steve Largent, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton.

In baseball even the Devil Rays can have players put up good numbers.

The best example is take the 1990 draft. Emmitt Smith goes to the Cowboys while Blair Thomas goes to the Jets. If the Jets picked Emmit instead would he be the NFL rushing leader....No way in he##

Nowhere close to baseball.

Every baseball player has at least some statistics that indicates greatness. For hitters it's batting average, or home runs or runs scored, or RBI's.

Every pitcher has w-l, or ERA or SO's.

Fielders have stats.

Only some players in football have stats. QB's, rb's, receivers. Offensive linemen don't have stats. Defensive linemen have sacks, but tackles are not an official number, nor are passes defended, so lb's and db's don't really have stats (other than int's).

So, it's not similar. Baseball is an individual game, played as a team. Football is much more a team sport.
That's pretty much along the lines that I was thinking. Your greatness in football is defined more by the intangibles, how you force people to account for you and open up things for other people. This is mostly with linebackers, defensive backs and receivers to a lesser extent. There are ways of neutralizing those positions. Those positions, especially, are defined by how you affect the game because the stats for those positions could also be flukey. To record a pick or a tackle, you could simply find yourself in the right spot at the right time. A quarterback could make an ill-advised throw or simply miss his target. That doesn't necessarily mean that you were in good position, it's a right place/ right time situation. I think that sacks are the only defensive stat that isn't like that because you are forced to create them yourselves. I bring this up because I am a huge Lawrence Taylor fan and have been arguing about whether he or Ray Lewis is better. Lewis has about 200 more tackles and 11 more picks, but I don't think those stats show as much dominance as LT's 110 more sacks.

Users who are viewing this thread