What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY Yankees = Milw. Brewers East this year (1 Viewer)

Mr.Pack

Footballguy
First Sabbathia, next Sheets is on their radar.

Now they are going to trade for Mike Cameron and Bill Hall?

Take Suppan too, please

:scared:

Just offered 5yrs $91 Million for Burnett :goodposting:

AFter Losing Pavano I guess they've got pay SOMEONE $2 Million per start

Hank the Tank strikes again.

New Boss. Worse than the Old Boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we hold off on the abuse of the Yankees until they actually sign these guys? Then I jump right along with you (re Lowe, Burnett, Manny). But until then everything is just rumors & speculation.

Sorry Pack, there isn't a team in baseball that would take Suppan and his ricockulous salary. We're on the hook for $25M over the next 2 years.

What other 3B are out there? If Hall is traded, that leaves Mike Lamb as our starting 3B :unsure: Unless they're paving the way for Escobar to come up and play SS, while moving Hardy to 3B?

Sorry Pack, there isn't a team in baseball that would take Suppan and his ricockulous salary. We're on the hook for $25M over the next 2 years.

What other 3B are out there? If Hall is traded, that leaves Mike Lamb as our starting 3B :thumbdown: Unless they're paving the way for Escobar to come up and play SS, while moving Hardy to 3B?
I can see this, and kind of hope it happens.

Can we hold off on the abuse of the Yankees until they actually sign these guys? Then I jump right along with you (re Lowe, Burnett, Manny). But until then everything is just rumors & speculation.
You're missing the point of this forum. These things are fun to discuss - that's what they're doing.

Yankees really do their best to make baseball not fun. If they get Cameron that is a ####### joke and the joke is squarely on them.

Doctor Detroit said:
Yankees really do their best to make baseball not fun. If they get Cameron that is a ####### joke and the joke is squarely on them.
Tell me you aren't going to enjoy Cameron striking out in some big situation next year.

It looks like the talks for Cameron have cooled off due to the Yankees asking the Brewers to eat some of Cameron's salary

LINK

'No way' Brewers pay Cameron tab

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel

Dec. 11, 2008 12:26 p.m.

Las Vegas – A Brewers official just told me there’s “no way” the Brewers would pick up any of Mike Cameron’s $10 million salary for 2009 to facilitate a trade with the Yankees unless New York added more than centerfielder Melky Cabrera to the deal.

Talks apparently broke off early this morning when the Yankees not only offered only Cabrera but asked the Brewers to pick up some of Cameron’s salary.

This is the same New York team that paid Brewers free agent lefty CC Sabathia $161 million yesterday -- $61 million more than the Brewers offered – and has some $90 million on the table in an attempt to sign free agent A.J. Burnett.

So, the sides might not even talk again before leaving the winter meetings later today. I’m guessing the Brewers are pretty cheesed off right now so they’re probably not in the mood to resume talks today unless the Yankees come back and drop the money request or add a pitching prospect.

We have a briefing later with general manager Doug Melvin, so I’ll let you know where this stands before everybody gets out of here today.

Doctor Detroit said:
Tell me you aren't going to enjoy Cameron striking out in some big situation next year.
Cameron strikes out a ton but the guy is a great fielder and is a much better hitter than Cabrera or Gardner. Lets not pretend this wont be an upgrade in CF for the Yankees.

strykerpks said:
Sorry Pack, there isn't a team in baseball that would take Suppan and his ricockulous salary. We're on the hook for $25M over the next 2 years.What other 3B are out there? If Hall is traded, that leaves Mike Lamb as our starting 3B :shrug: Unless they're paving the way for Escobar to come up and play SS, while moving Hardy to 3B?
but wouldn't it be great if the Yankees were dumb enough to take Cameron, Hall, & Suppan off our hands? I'd do it and we don't even need to get anyone back...Then we can spend that $30 M on a free agent Starting Pitcher and CF/Leadoff Hitter and either bring Escobar up or the 3B we have in the minors (even though supposedly he sucks at playing 3B)

strykerpks said:

What other 3B are out there? If Hall is traded, that leaves Mike Lamb as our starting 3B :thumbup: Unless they're paving the way for Escobar to come up and play SS, while moving Hardy to 3B?
but wouldn't it be great if the Yankees were dumb enough to take Cameron, Hall, & Suppan off our hands? I'd do it and we don't even need to get anyone back...Then we can spend that $30 M on a free agent Starting Pitcher and CF/Leadoff Hitter and either bring Escobar up or the 3B we have in the minors (even though supposedly he sucks at playing 3B)
Sorry LB, the Yankees aren't no team is that dumb. While a salary dump would be nice, the Brewers have plenty of wiggle room without CC, Sheets, Gagne, Mota etc on their books this year. And where are all these starting pitchers, lefty CF/leadoff hitters that we're going to get coming from?While Gamel's bat may be ML ready, he makes Braun look like a golden glover at 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctor Detroit said:
Cameron strikes out a ton but the guy is a great fielder and is a much better hitter than Cabrera or Gardner. Lets not pretend this wont be an upgrade in CF for the Yankees.
It's not. Cabrera>Cameron. Cameron is terrible.

Doctor Detroit said:
Cameron has been OPS+ > 100 every year in the past ten. Melky has never reached that level. Cameron has lost a step defensively but he can still handle CF. Cameron would be a short term upgrade.

Doctor Detroit said:
The stats suggest otherwise.

Doctor Detroit said:
Cameron has been OPS+ > 100 every year in the past ten. Melky has never reached that level. Cameron has lost a step defensively but he can still handle CF. Cameron would be a short term upgrade.
Pretty amazing given his walk totals. I probably overstated things by saying Cameron is terrible, but he's not really a great option for the $$$. Cameron has played in NY before though which would probably help.

Doctor Detroit said:
Pretty amazing given his walk totals. I probably overstated things by saying Cameron is terrible, but he's not really a great option for the $$$. Cameron has played in NY before though which would probably help.
:goodposting: Hes averaged around 70 BBs a season in his career. Thats not bad. Its his strikeout totals that are ridiculous.

Doctor Detroit said:
:sarcasm: Hes averaged around 70 BBs a season in his career. Thats not bad. Its his strikeout totals that are ridiculous.
Oh yeah, it's his awful batting averages I must have been thinking of.

Offensively, here's how I see it.

Swisher is at worst a slight downgrade from Giambi. Cameron is a big upgrade from Melky. So let's call that a push.

Posada is a ginormous upgrade from Molina/Pudge. Matsui is a downgrade from Abreu. So let's call that a push.

One would assume that Jeter, Damon, A-Rod, Nady won't suddenly fall off a cliff. So if Cano rebounds close to previous levels, the offense will be at worst slightly better than it was in 2008.

Now when you replace the garbage starting pitching that they got in 2008 between Ponson/Pavano/Rasner with guys like CC/full season of Wang & Joba/Burnett/TBD, that's a much better team. People can say all they want about the Yankees' spending, but the fact is that the team is shaping up to be much better in 2009...and that's coming off a season in which they still won 89 games. Are they an unbeatable powerhouse? Of course not. But they definitely got better, and are going to improve even more over the next few weeks.

Plus as far as spending goes, is it more foolish for the Yanks to spend $17 mil/year on Burnett or for the Braves to spend $16 mil/year? Is it more foolish for the Yanks to spend $23 mil on Sabathia or for the Royals to spend $4.5 mil on Farnsworth? Consider the relativity here, and the Yankee moves all make a lot more sense. They aren't like most teams, and that's BEFORE getting into the fact that they are moving into a new stadium and have $88 million coming off the books. I don't see how anyone can say anything bad about anything they've done.

Offensively, here's how I see it.Swisher is at worst a slight downgrade from Giambi. Cameron is a big upgrade from Melky. So let's call that a push.Posada is a ginormous upgrade from Molina/Pudge. Matsui is a downgrade from Abreu. So let's call that a push.One would assume that Jeter, Damon, A-Rod, Nady won't suddenly fall off a cliff. So if Cano rebounds close to previous levels, the offense will be at worst slightly better than it was in 2008.Now when you replace the garbage starting pitching that they got in 2008 between Ponson/Pavano/Rasner with guys like CC/full season of Wang & Joba/Burnett/TBD, that's a much better team. People can say all they want about the Yankees' spending, but the fact is that the team is shaping up to be much better in 2009...and that's coming off a season in which they still won 89 games. Are they an unbeatable powerhouse? Of course not. But they definitely got better, and are going to improve even more over the next few weeks.Plus as far as spending goes, is it more foolish for the Yanks to spend $17 mil/year on Burnett or for the Braves to spend $16 mil/year? Is it more foolish for the Yanks to spend $23 mil on Sabathia or for the Royals to spend $4.5 mil on Farnsworth? Consider the relativity here, and the Yankee moves all make a lot more sense. They aren't like most teams, and that's BEFORE getting into the fact that they are moving into a new stadium and have $88 million coming off the books. I don't see how anyone can say anything bad about anything they've done.
IMO this is gonna be a bad lineup. The pitching needs to dominate.

MB - I don't think your offensive analysis there is really sound, sorry. That's not a good offense, at all, as presently constructed. The pitching on paper will be obviously better but that hitting is weak.

Unless he just absolutely had no intention of going there, Teix should have been option A1 this off-season instead of CC.

MB - I don't think your offensive analysis there is really sound, sorry. That's not a good offense, at all, as presently constructed. The pitching on paper will be obviously better but that hitting is weak.Unless he just absolutely had no intention of going there, Teix should have been option A1 this off-season instead of CC.
No ####. This is another disaster of an offseason, followed only by the stupidity of the Yanks passing on Johan last year so they could hold onto garbage.(Yes, shady...garbage)

MB - I don't think your offensive analysis there is really sound, sorry. That's not a good offense, at all, as presently constructed. The pitching on paper will be obviously better but that hitting is weak.Unless he just absolutely had no intention of going there, Teix should have been option A1 this off-season instead of CC.
I mentioned in another thread that I wanted Tex to be a part of the offseason plan. I can't see giving Burnett $18 mil per year and not going another $4 mil to lock up Tex. And yeah I know it's more years but he's also a pretty sure thing.And I agree that the offense won't be great. I wasn't suggesting it would be. I was just suggesting it'd be about the same or slightly better than it was a year ago. Well, last year's offense (with awful pitching) got them to 89 wins. If this year's offense is in the same range as far as scoring but now you add a healthy Wang and Joba, along with CC/Burnett/Sheets, then that's easily worth enough wins to get them in the thick of playoff contention.

Is it more foolish for the Yanks to spend $23 mil on Sabathia or for the Royals to spend $4.5 mil on Farnsworth?
This is what it's come to? Really?!? :popcorn:
Pretty much. I mean, people can bash the Yankee signings all they want but the way the system is set up, we know they can afford a few more mistakes than most. The CC signing was a very good on in my opinion because it filled a need, regardless of the cost. Some people will say he won't live up to the contract, fine. Maybe he will and maybe he won't.But when teams like KC go out and give $10 million to Kyle freaking Farnsworth, you really have to wonder what's going on there. Where are they going with Kyle Farnsworth? In terms of stupidity, that's one of the dumbest contracts I've seen in recent memory. And considering it's coming from a team that really cannot afford many mistakes, it makes it that much worse. If the Yanks had signed him to this deal this offseason, we'd hear about how insanely stupid they are. But the Royals do it and nobody notices. But they should! These are precisely the kind of deals that prevent those teams from going out and filling out their teams with useful pieces.Look, I'm a Yankee fan so obviously I'm going to have no problems with their ability to spend. I agree that it's a problem in baseball, but right now it is what it is. And when the other 29 teams know that, it amazes me that they continue to make moves that are a thousand times more stupid than anything the Yankees could ever dream of.Case in point. The Yanks and Braves were going head-to-head on Burnett. It looks like the Yankees will get him. He'll probably break down and they'll eat it. But the main thing that accomplished is that they save the Braves from an awful decision. That's the kind of signing that could set a team back four years if it goes bad. People don't mention that there are only a handful of teams who should ever get involved in bidding wars with the Yankees, and even then it should be for a more sure thing than a 5 year deal for an injury prone pitcher who is 32.

I disagree here. The offense will be an average offense but the pitching was dreadful Like many have said this team has a lot of holes.

Users who are viewing this thread